• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 System Update 20.02-02.50.00 Released

RGB'D

So my PS5 is only a week old. I have been getting intermittent artifacting while playing Astrobot and Miles Morales. It seems like it might be a system problem but is this a known issue? Does this update address anything that might solve my problem?

Did they fix the WIFI and internet issue? I always get disconnected after 30 minutes or very slow connection which makes multiplayer impossible. Other connected devices work just fine..
I pretty much had to change my wireless network to not use a and x bands as I had the same issue...since I did that no issues but I don’t get ultra fast speeds anymore

RGB'D

Artifacting is usually a dying GPU.
I filed a claim with SONY, and thats what I am ultimately afraid of but the artifacting is really rare and only occurs in games. I figured the artifacting would persist on some level on the home screen or creep up every play session. My Sony customer rep seemed to think it wasn't the hardware, but I am afraid of being stuck with a lemon. A clean restart and it goes away. Very bizarre.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I can't believe all these bugs everyone's reporting. It's making my wait for a ps5 a bit easier. Hope they get things in a better place firmware wise whenever I do finally get one. Seems like my ps4 pro disc drive may spin randomly but only for a few seconds and not often.
I get the DVD spinning up without reason occasionally issue. Other than that I have no other issues listed. That’s on 2 consoles in the home.

I use rest mode each time every time, with games suspended, and I use a 2.5” 4gig external USB. Recently also have PSVR hooked up to one of the systems.

It's not as bad as it sounds, you are reading a forum that has a concentration of people all exposing issues at the same time. The issues are not really console breaking and don't really hinder the experience overall.

I've had my PS5 since official launch day in November and my PS5 had crashed a few times, had the external hdd issue where it has to rebuild the database a couple times. One disc version PS4 game I could not play without re-installing. I had an issue where my tiles on the screen don't disappear when deleting a digital game until I go to re-download and then cancel and delete that download.

That may all sound bad but that's like less then 10 times that I've had some small issue out of over 100 times I've used the console with no issue.

I hear your statement all the time from people about so glad I waited or sounds like I'm better off without it for now etc.. It was the same with PS4.. I'm guessing you never had one at launch, most people like to make it sound like it's worse than it really is but it's not!
Actually I did have a ps4 at launch and it had the issue where the screw that holds the hard drive into place was missing. Boot up the system and it said error message. Other than that it worked well . So yes I am very familiar with buying systems at launch (ps4 , xbone, wii,wiiu , switch , psp , 3ds ,vita) . All I said is that these issues are making the wait a bit easier. I'd still take a ps 5 if it fell into my lap. Just seems like the ps5 has more technical issues with firmware and weird quirks with external hard drives. They need to step up their firmware game a bit I'd say. Also your anecdote of only 10 issues in over 100 times using the console still puts it at a 9% or 10% of the time you run into a problem . That's kinda high my dude.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
Sony is cheapening out too much on firmware. It's like they literally only have one person working on it.

Too few fixes, and taking too long. VRR still disabled.
They are working in parallel on a larger feature release where most resources are.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Sorry where’s this grey tile that gets left behind when you uninstall a game? On the main page? I’ve not had this happen you see so I’m curious what it is exactly?

Justin9mm

Actually I did have a ps4 at launch and it had the issue where the screw that holds the hard drive into place was missing. Boot up the system and it said error message. Other than that it worked well . So yes I am very familiar with buying systems at launch (ps4 , xbone, wii,wiiu , switch , psp , 3ds ,vita) . All I said is that these issues are making the wait a bit easier. I'd still take a ps 5 if it fell into my lap. Just seems like the ps5 has more technical issues with firmware and weird quirks with external hard drives. They need to step up their firmware game a bit I'd say. Also your anecdote of only 10 issues in over 100 times using the console still puts it at a 9% or 10% of the time you run into a problem . That's kinda high my dude.
I'd also argue this newer technology is more complex then previous generations so weird quirks are probably expected.

I must have low expectations because 9% or 10% problems for a new launch console with this kind of tech is not considered to be that high by my standards. Nothing I have experienced is console breaking.

I come from Commodore 64 and Atari days to the NES and so on.. I've seen some issues in my time. Could the PS5 have launched better? Yes. But I still feel the topic is exaggerated.

Justin9mm

Sorry where’s this grey tile that gets left behind when you uninstall a game? On the main page? I’ve not had this happen you see so I’m curious what it is exactly?
I had this issue, when you delete a game, it has happened both from the tile and storage directly, the tile stays at the home screen along the top but greyed out without the game image. So you go through and delete a few games for example and they are all there left behind permanently.

The fix is to select download again and then once it starts downloading, go to downloads and select cancel and delete, that will remove the tile permenently.

Below is a pic of my home screen to show you what it looks like.

kDdq1pb.jpg

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
For me, it's in the far left side of the main page. Have to rebuild database to get rid of it.
When it appears, its on the left side of the explore icon. To get rid of it, click on the tile, start the download then cancel and delete the download.
Thanks both. Really weird I’ve not had this happen on mine. Is it just PS4 titles or all? Sorry if its PS4 titles and I’ve missed that point.

Last edited:

Shmunter

I had this issue, when you delete a game, it has happened both from the tile and storage directly, the tile stays at the home screen along the top but greyed out without the game image. So you go through and delete a few games for example and they are all there left behind permanently.

The fix is to select download again and then once it starts downloading, go to downloads and select cancel and delete, that will remove the tile permenently.

Below is a pic of my home screen to show you what it looks like.

kDdq1pb.jpg
I don’t know how they can not fix such a simple thing already. I shudder thinking about the PlayStation firmware support, just like last gen.

PS5 System Update 20.02-02.50.00 Release Notes (3-Feb-2021)

The following issue was resolved:
  • The PS4 version of the game was sometimes installed from the PS4 game disc even after upgrading the disc version of a PS4 game to the PS5 version.
  • This system software update improves system performance.

Enjoy your new system software update! And remember, each update was created by the power of children’s laughter!

The issue is still not resolved, my PS5 still keeps trying to install the ps4 disc copy despite having the ps5 digital free copy installed. Is it because my free digital upgrade was from a different account(secondary account)? while my main account is different, for instance the free upgrade is from EU account and my main account is NA

Never had this issue. It clearly says in the upper left corner if it's the PS4-version. Otherwise you can just tap the button with the three dots and then you see what version it is. It's not rocket science.

Agreed, but the problem that SlimySnake SlimySnake is pointing out is why on earth would anyone want to download ps4 version of a game to their ps5 if there exists a PS5 version? Why even show the PS4 version of games on the ps5 ps store when there exists a PS5 version? Sorta weird right

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sure, but that's just only one game or very few games in that particular case Panajev? You're getting my point right?
Sure, but there may be more game like this and the issue is how to enable it for users. Do not think they have a big “IF NMS AND PSVR THEN...” so the solution they did choose to slow that currently works, but just so... with obvious side effects/weird UX. Call it the MVP agile release to make launch ;).

There are plenty of weird things such as the requirement to go back to the older version of the game (PS4 version) to upload the save and then consume it on PS5.

I still have the PS4 Pro hooked up, so I did not have to install both versions of Spider-man on my PS5, I could use the PS4 Pro to upload the save game data, but what if I did not have it or did not have it connected? How could I carry my save across?

Ar¢tos

Agreed, but the problem that SlimySnake SlimySnake is pointing out is why on earth would anyone want to download ps4 version of a game to their ps5 if there exists a PS5 version? Why even show the PS4 version of games on the ps5 ps store when there exists a PS5 version? Sorta weird right
Is it possible to do that with digital versions?
Have both the ps4 and ps5 version installed and switch between them at will?
I can see people using that for save editing, that is only possible with the ps4 versions.

BuffNTuff

Banned
So the second time trying to boot up (since installing new FW) from rest in the middle of demon souls and it failed and had to repair storage.

Sushen

I'm sorry to bring back an old thread but as a new ps5 user, I wonder if it's safe to use rest mode at this point. Are people using it with no issue?

Last edited:

skit_data

I'm sorry to bring back an old thread but as a new ps5 user, I wonder if it's safe to use rest mode at this point. Are people using it with no issue?
Ive been using it, no issues. I think most problems related to putting it in standby was due to having external storage connected to it. I have no external storage so I cant answer wether those issues are sorted out, but one of the patch notes mentioned it so i think it is all sorted.

Last edited:

Mr_Potato

Banned

Yes. Never had any issue but my friend had some issues the first days with his external storage and rest mode. It stopped after a PS5 OS patch. It's been months without a problem for both of us. Pretty sure you're safe now.

Don't listen too much to what you hear, PS5 firmware works perfectly, I haven't had a single bug in months.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Ive been using it, no issues. I think most problems related to putting it in standby was due to having external storage connected to it. I have no external storage so I cant answer wether those issues are sorted out, but one of the patch notes mentioned it so i think it is all sorted.
I'm still having the issue and I do have external storage connected. Didn't realize they were related.

I'm still having the issue and I do have external storage connected. Didn't realize they were related.

Kinda surprises that no one on the internet has figured out what exactly causes this.

Is the type of external adapter used (enclosure vs SATA sable, etc), type of hard drive, etc

I use a SATA SSD (870 QVO) and a usb 3.1 gen 2 enclosure, no issues at all.

Maybe it’s just random? I know people who get corrupted database every time they restart their PS5. Maybe it’s a random system setting causing a glitch or something, who knows

Last edited:

AGRacing

Gold Member
Sony is cheapening out too much on firmware. It's like they literally only have one person working on it.

Too few fixes, and taking too long. VRR still disabled.
No SSD expansion either....
I agree with you. Has always been their weakness... you think it would be addressed by now.

Topher

Gold Member
Kinda surprises that no one on the internet has figured out what exactly causes this.

Is the type of external adapter used (enclosure vs SATA sable, etc), type of hard drive, etc

I use a SATA SSD (870 QVO) and a usb 3.1 gen 2 enclosure, no issues at all.

Maybe it’s just random? I know people who get corrupted database every time they restart their PS5. Maybe it’s a random system setting causing a glitch or something, who knows

I'm using some generic cheap SSD and enclosure I got off Amazon. I'm not even really using it at this point so I'll just remove it and wait for the internal options to become available.

They still need to address various issues with external hard drives.
What happens with those? I use one for all my PS4 games and so far I have been lucky... surprised at how faster the games load anyway.
Never had this issue. It clearly says in the upper left corner if it's the PS4-version. Otherwise you can just tap the button with the three dots and then you see what version it is. It's not rocket science.
I have seen you and other mention this, as if it should not be completely transparent.... That reminds me of those who found excuses for the xbox OS when they made everything more complicated than it was on the 360.

The filtering should just "happen", download the highest profile that the client can handle--BINGO!

I have used an external 3.5HDD (yes it's a spare 3TD drive I had forever in a USB 3.0 dock). Anyway, the thing has "just worked" so far.

Shmunter

No issues here with a 2.5” usb3 4tb Segate. Same one I had hooked up to the pro....

The boy running a generic 2.5” USB3 enclosure with 2tb just fine too.

Rob_27

I've still got issues with what ever drive I use. Turns off when you wake it and tells you that the drive wasnt disconnected properly.

Yet its still plugged in. Get the please wait when I'm trying to play something from an external drive. Be it from cold boot or if it worked from sleep.

Still buggy from my experience. But others may be fine.

REDRZA MWS

Thank you guys. Is it also okay to enter rest mode in game or better to exit first?
I’ve had my PS5 since launch day. I close all apps and games and always use rest mode. Never once had a single issue. My advice is to start closing all before entering rest mode to test if you have issues or not doing it that way. Otherwise, just hope Sony can fix it in a software update.

Shmunter

I've still got issues with what ever drive I use. Turns off when you wake it and tells you that the drive wasnt disconnected properly.

Yet its still plugged in. Get the please wait when I'm trying to play something from an external drive. Be it from cold boot or if it worked from sleep.

Still buggy from my experience. But others may be fine.
I wonder if USB power saving options are worth exploring. Mine is set to always provide USB power under rest mode.

Top Bottom