• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 system update available - 868MB v20.02-2.26

mejin

BogusFarawayBream-max-1mb.gif

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
My icons look bigger on the dashboard. I wonder if anyone else can confirm or if indeed I am having a breakdown.

Handy Fake

Been curious about where those experiencing issues are situated.
The new PS5 paradigm was power based and I'm wondering if there's some sort of voltage issue.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yes, I've downloaded the games and updated them, but the issues continue. It doesn't matter if it's performance mode, fidelity mode, online or offline, it just crashes after a couple of minutes.
Do other games work? Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling?

Kindjal

Do other games work? Did you try uninstalling and reinstalling?

Yes, Astro and Bugsnax are running without any issues, as is No Man's Sky PS5, and a whole lot of PS4 games. In fact the only PS4 game that crashed (but without a black screen, it just closed and went back to the dash) was The Witcher 3.

I've uninstalled and installed both SM games about 4 times each.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Yes, Astro and Bugsnax are running without any issues, as is No Man's Sky PS5, and a whole lot of PS4 games. In fact the only PS4 game that crashed (but without a black screen, it just closed and went back to the dash) was The Witcher 3.

I've uninstalled and installed both SM games about 4 times each.
It might not be possible but if I were you I would try a demanding PS5 game like DS or WDL or Cold War

point is it might be a hardware issue that is only manifesting when the system is very stressed.

chinoXL

Just go to settings > system > console

or

Just go to settings > system > system software update and settings > update

I really hope it manages to fix the one issue with extended storage and sleep mode. I'm really not using it at the moment. Just keep shutting down the PS5 to avoid rebuilds etc
I was just about to post the same. I'm not using either feature JUST to be on the safe side. Knock on wood mine has been A+ so far

Version 20.02-02.26.00
  • This system software update improves system performance.
  • An issue where installed disc versions of games were sometimes deleted was resolved.
  • An issue that prevented the PS5 wireless controller from being charged while in rest mode when connected to the PS5's front side USB Type-A port using the USB cable included with some PS5 consoles was resolved.

Praise the Sun!

Kind of off topic but updating firmware on my PS4 took an eternity while this was done and rebooted in what couldn't have been much more than about a minute - very nice.

Kindjal

It might not be possible but if I were you I would try a demanding PS5 game like DS or WDL or Cold War

point is it might be a hardware issue that is only manifesting when the system is very stressed.

Yes, I've thought about that too, but right now I don't own any other PS5 games to be able to stress test my system.
Since the same problem has arised with other games, including Astro an Bugsnax, I am sincerely hoping that this isn't a hardware issue, especially considering that I haven't had any visual artifacts or glitches.
I'm guessing time will tell.

Yes, I've thought about that too, but right now I don't own any other PS5 games to be able to stress test my system.
Since the same problem has arised with other games, including Astro an Bugsnax, I am sincerely hoping that this isn't a hardware issue, especially considering that I haven't had any visual artifacts or glitches.
I'm guessing time will tell.

Mine is doing so bad with the crashing that when i did the system update it finished then crashed and said rebuild database.

Then it rebooted and said it was gonna update demon souls. I been staring at this "1 second left" screen for about 20-25 minutes now.

Pretty sure its going to crash again any moment now.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
I have been using a 4TB external drive for my PS4 games since day one without any issue. Is there supposed to be a problem?

Anecdotally a lot of issues seem to affect those using sleep mode and/or external storage. With a lack of 'official' cause it's led to some people just not using those features. I was using external storage but detaching it and shutting down totally after use. The one time I used sleep without detaching, I resumed Valhalla which promptly froze and caused a hard lock. Then on reboot got the 'corrupt' message and had to rebuild. So went back to what I was doing before. It might be placebo or related 🤔

Nice, after the update, Demon's souls doesn't work anymore, it gets stuck at the booting screen.

Same here... shit... Digital or disk?
Mine is disk and I did have the installation issue the first time, I wonder if it's related.

I will try to uninstall and install again see if it works

They did already.

Dude it took them a few hours to release the patch notes. That's not a big deal.
No its not a big deal, but then neither is posting a few kb of text to accompany said patch when everyone is wondering what the patch fixes. Sony know what's in there, why not update the website at the same time?

Last edited:
So after waiting almost 40+ minutes for demon souls to update it does this now whenever i launch it.

The thing literally crashed and had to rebuild the database after installing the system update, then got hung on a demon souls update for over 40 minutes...now whenever i click to launch the game it just crashes before the splash screen even loads.

I'm just gonna put my ps5 back in the box until some more updates roll out, this shit is crazy

GymWolf

Why do i hear people talking about crashes on morales? I had 10 flawless hours with it, is it a common problem or just a matter of luck?

Last edited:

Shane89

Why do i hear people talking about crashes on morales? I had 10 flawless hours with it, is it a common problem or just a matter of luck?
I had 10 hours without any problem too, the day after, i got 2 crash in 1 hour. (CONSOLE CRASH, not game crash)
In both cases i was freaking with dualsense buttons in order to kill sh!tload of enemies, so might be that ahahah

Last edited:
This update bricked my PS5.

It was working PERFECTLY before this. Now it updated, rebooted, then shut down and now it won't start back up.

And I thought my luck was bad smh.

I just put that shit in the closet. Gonna try to play my series x again lol, Valhalla crashed on me 4x last night.

These new consoles are pretty shitty.

The games are rushed and buggy
They didn't make enough hardware
The hardware they did make is kind of flaky

They should have just delayed these things into March imo. It's not like the current consoles weren't selling, or that people weren't buying the games.

Youre absolutely right, they should've waited.

The shit is so janky on both ends. It just feels like they didn't do shit for testing on either end

My PS5 is on for at least 10 hours a day and I only had my first hard system crash last night while playing Miles. It’s cool that you guys haven’t had an issue but many had had crashes in Miles and COD. It happens

I 100%ed Miles, Platinumed Astro's, and have HOURS of gameplay in Valhalla. Haven't had a SINGLE crash or problem with the system until this update shut down my PS5 right after it was complete.

Damn man, any update? Will it boot in safe mode (hold down power button until it beeps a couple times)? I hope it resolves for you

GymWolf

My PS5 is on for at least 10 hours a day and I only had my first hard system crash last night while playing Miles. It’s cool that you guys haven’t had an issue but many had had crashes in Miles and COD. It happens

Damn man, any update? Will it boot in safe mode (hold down power button until it beeps a couple times)? I hope it resolves for you
Yeah sure, i was just asking.

TimFL

How are system updates on PS5 and Series X? I saw a video where the Series X was basically still like the One... takes a long ass time to download and check the download and then install... is that real?
The PS5 is blazing fast. Just installed this update and it was pretty much a reboot only in terms of time taken compared to e.g. the X... which has the same updater as the XB1 (potentially faster than a One due to SSD but still 1-2 minutes for a step each).

Top Bottom