• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 to Cost More Than XSX While Struggling More with Multiplatform Games in Performance, Says Insider

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamerEDM

Banned
Mod edit already being discussed here

PS5 to Cost More Than XSX While Struggling More with Multiplatform Games in Performance, Says Insider
Alessio Palumbo
PS5 and Xbox Series X may be relatively close (they're probably launching in about three months from now), but there's still quite a bit of official information that we're lacking, chiefly one of the most important aspects of any new product: the price.

Insider Dusk Golem, known mostly for his CAPCOM (Resident Evil/Street Fighter) and Silent Hill rumors, posted some new tidbits in a ResetEra thread titled 'Realistically, how is Microsoft expected to compete with Sony next generation?', where he said that PS5 is likely to cost more than Xbox Series X as Microsoft has a greater ability than Sony to absorb production costs while keeping the retail price low. Additionally, Dusk Golem also reported information from his sources that Sony's next-gen console is struggling more than Xbox Series X with performance in multiplatform games.

New Details Emerge For Halo Infinite: Free-to-Play Multiplayer At 120FPS

[...] from some murmurings I've been hearing, I'll just say I suspect this topic is going to age "interestingly" when a few more details on both platforms are revealed.
I mean this in a few more ways, but to give the broadest idea, I'll just say the Xbox Series X is by far more powerful than the PS5 if we're just talking raw power, multi-platform games will run better there, it is something people are going to have to prepare themselves for. Add to this Microsoft are ready to lowball Sony when it comes to price. They can more easily make a sacrifice and get back profits from Game Pass than console sales than Sony can from that comparatively.
PS5 is easier to develop for overall and Sony has very talented studios behind it that will get the most out of the PS5, that I have no doubts about either, but this topic is about how Microsoft will compete so what I'm focused on. But when it comes to cross-platform games, they will end up performing a lot better on Xbox Series X. Xbox Series X will have the tech advantage over PS5, and it will be more than marginal.
The basic gist of what I've heard is the PS5 is really good to work on for games exclusive to it, but in practice the specs kinda' get weird for multi-platform games. If multi-plat the usage of PS5's SSD systems does help a bit, but not to the fullest, and I've heard some dev friends talk a bit about the struggle PS5 has for 1080p games running 60fps still, while Xbox Series X doesn't have the same problem and can push above that even in most cases. Of course, this is a small selection of people I've talked to, there's more to it, but I hear something that's going to make this generation a bit interesting is the PS5 & Xbox Series X's focus in other areas are going to make multi-platform games "interesting" this generation, to the point we may actually see less of them and far more games coming to one platform or the other (plus PC), as it's actually kinda' hard to make a game optimal for both platforms due to where they're a bit differently focused.
In a follow-up post, he clarified that he was referring mostly to Resident Evil Village, which is apparently struggling to get 1080p at 60 frames per second on the PlayStation 5. That said, Dusk Golem also heard from other developer friends that this is probably going to be happening in other multiplatform games, too.

Okay, so I guess I'll just come clean here... I'm talking about Resident Evil Village. The game's terrible performance at the PS5 reveal event with the terrible frame rate present in the trailer was kinda the current status of the game on PS5 as of a few months ago. The thing is, apparently the game runs perfectly on Xbox Series X, they've been having some troubles getting the frame rate stable on PS5 (which as Sony had a rule to record the PS5 event gameplay on PS5, lead to the weird frame showing in that trailer). But it's running in the RE Engine, and they'll be making more optimizations to take advantage of the game there.
The price stuff is from different sources, I said that earlier but will clarify here.
From what I've anecdotally heard from some other dev friends of mine, Xbox Series X does have the advantage when it comes to multi-platform games on most fronts. But this is still anecdotal from the few people I've talked to on this topic, but I think some people should get ready for that as it was consistent at least with everyone I've talked with making games for PS5 & Xbox Series X.
Of course, all of this information should be regarded as a rumor with all that entails. However, Dusk Golem proved to be a reliable leaker and after all, these don't sound like outlandish claims given what we know of Microsoft's financials (on the subject of pricing) and the Xbox Series X's higher TFLOPs (on the subject of performance).

We should know more soon anyway, as the PS5 price could be revealed later this month and the Xbox Series X's would certainly closely follow suit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
"murmurings" "anecdotally heard"...

Some people certainly try way too hard to grab some clout by spouting stuff they aren't even sure about, and some sites/bad writers certainly play to their tune in the attempt to get some weekend clicks, since they're not good at actual news.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned

Alessio Palumbo
PS5 and Xbox Series X may be relatively close (they're probably launching in about three months from now), but there's still quite a bit of official information that we're lacking, chiefly one of the most important aspects of any new product: the price.

Insider Dusk Golem, known mostly for his CAPCOM (Resident Evil/Street Fighter) and Silent Hill rumors, posted some new tidbits in a ResetEra thread titled 'Realistically, how is Microsoft expected to compete with Sony next generation?', where he said that PS5 is likely to cost more than Xbox Series X as Microsoft has a greater ability than Sony to absorb production costs while keeping the retail price low. Additionally, Dusk Golem also reported information from his sources that Sony's next-gen console is struggling more than Xbox Series X with performance in multiplatform games.

New Details Emerge For Halo Infinite: Free-to-Play Multiplayer At 120FPS

In a follow-up post, he clarified that he was referring mostly to Resident Evil Village, which is apparently struggling to get 1080p at 60 frames per second on the PlayStation 5. That said, Dusk Golem also heard from other developer friends that this is probably going to be happening in other multiplatform games, too.

Of course, all of this information should be regarded as a rumor with all that entails. However, Dusk Golem proved to be a reliable leaker and after all, these don't sound like outlandish claims given what we know of Microsoft's financials (on the subject of pricing) and the Xbox Series X's higher TFLOPs (on the subject of performance).

We should know more soon anyway, as the PS5 price could be revealed later this month and the Xbox Series X's would certainly closely follow suit.

Sony is finished...

I wish we could add another something to the two bits of fud so we can get a triple whammy all in one.

What next Factory has closed down, Overheating issues, give us more on how Sony is fucking up all the time.

Last edited:

kingpotato

Ask me about my Stream Deck
One thing is true out of all this.

Capcom should be embarrassed by how sloppy that RE Village trailer looked. What a mess.

kretos

Banned
In the xbox event MS show the games running on PC "representative of Xsx experience" you telling me MS own studios can't run the games on the console and 3rd party devs did so with no problems?

TastyEuphoricBarb-size_restricted.gif

Banned
I fully expect the PS5 being more expensive... it is really hard to imagine it not to be.

the crazy SSD, the crazy big case, the crazy cooling going on, the Controller that is filled with all kinds of shenanigans...
this adds up and will most likely far exceed the money Microsoft spends on their bigger APU die.

the molding alone on that PS5 case has to be way more expensive than the very simple angular, flat Series X case.
the SSD tho has to be the big money sink.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
The smoke is finally starting to clear. :messenger_grinning:

"insiders" throwing around stuff they aren't even sure about and "writers" desperately trying to find something to vomit on their sensationalist sites on a Sunday certainly seem to be adding more smoke, not clearing it.

Last edited:

Ellery

Thankfully Wccftech hasn't been right with anything so far in their lives, but since Kojima predicted in what world we live in with MGS2 they are allowed to make money with clickbaiting.

Mr Moose

I fully expect the PS5 being more expensive... it is really hard to imagine it not to be.

the crazy SSD, the crazy big case, the crazy cooling going on, the Controller that is filled with all kinds of shenanigans...
this adds up and will most likely far exceed the money Microsoft spends on their bigger APU die.

the molding alone on that PS5 case has to be way more expensive than the very simple angular, flat Series X case.
the SSD tho has to be the big money sink.
Doesn't Series X have 2 motherboards? DOUBLING THE COST!
I don't think the prices between the two will be all that different. The Series S if it exists will be the cheap one, followed by the discless PS5 probably.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Thankfully Wccftech hasn't been right with anything so far in their lives, but since Kojima predicted in what world we live in with MGS2 they are allowed to make money with clickbaiting.

There's an easy way to avoid that. Don't click. When you see something titled with "insider" that "X" to the right of the tab is your friend.

Last edited:
Sigh.

So I guess the gist is this--Sony busted out the checkbook because their system will be more expensive and weaker, so they had to find an ace to force people to want it?

What? I'm sorry, but it's just all too convenient to me.

Folks saying that Sony has more technology in the PS5(such as RedGamingTech) and numerous industry folks talking about major exclusives. Lots of positive news if you're a Sony fan, so here comes the negative.

Now of a sudden here this comes. Just feels like the console war stuff we all know.

Banned
Doesn't Series X have 2 motherboards? DOUBLING THE COST!
I don't think the prices between the two will be all that different. The Series S if it exists will be the cheap one, followed by the discless PS5 probably.

the motherboard is not an expensive part in such a system. also it is basically the size of 1 board that was cut in 2 and connected through a cable.
that's literally nothing compared to a high end SSD like the one in the PS5

not only that, but we don't even know if the PS5 doesn't also have a daughter board in it to help with cooling the SSD maybe.

Last edited:

Ellery

There's an easy way to avoid that. Don't click. When you see something titled with "insider." That "X" to the right of the tab is your friend.

Yeah don't worry I am not clicking Wccftech. I got burned out from their failure and incompetence many years ago when they were puking out graphic cards rumours and they haven't been right once.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.

Chiggs

In the xbox event MS show the games running on PC "representative of Xsx experience" you telling me MS own studios can't run the games on the console and 3rd party devs did so with no problems?

TastyEuphoricBarb-size_restricted.gif

Well, given how terrible MS first party is...well, yes, actually.

Banned
It was a joke :messenger_crying:

not gonna lie, on this site you never know... the other day someone said that the compute units in the PS5 gpu are "of larger design" than the ones in the Series X GPU, and I was kinda stunned by that sentence... not only because it made no real sense to me but also just... what?

Last edited:
The devs just haven't figured out how to fully utilize the giant wings on the PS5 yet. Once they get those flapping everything should start running much better.

Reactions: MrS

Dr Bass

What is this struggling at 1080p stuff. This sounds like total nonsense. We know the disparity between PS5 and XSX and it’s nearly negligible. 15-18% or so. We had much bigger gaps this previous gen and game differences were not THAT big of a deal. A game that was fun on ps4 was fun on Xbox and vice versus. This guy is a weirdo.

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
Yeah don't worry I am not clicking Wccftech. I got burned out from their failure and incompetence many years ago when they were puking out graphic cards rumours and they haven't been right once.

Yep. I knew who wrote this even before clicking on the thread. If the OP hadn't pasted the name of the "writer" in his post, I would have guessed who that was with 99% accuracy.

The only true tests will be the price reveals and the first 3rd party multiplat games get compared. Until then, everyone should just wait to make any definite statements.

Reactions: MrS

Mr Moose

not gonna lie, on this site you never know... the other day someone said that the compute units in the PS5 gpu are "of larger design" than the ones in the Series X GPU, and I was kinda stunned by that sentence... not only because it made no real sense to me but also just... what?
:messenger_tears_of_joy: They are only bigger compared to PS4, not to Series X, Series X has the same RDNA 2 CUs. Did they not understand what Cerny said during the GDC thing?

Chiggs

Its sad when Xbots have nothing to talk about but spread FUD and gossip from another forum

LOL

Poor form, chap. MS has had a terrible few weeks, and they’ve taken it on the chin repeatedly. Don’t start getting all huffy now that some negative news drifts over toward Sony.

Mokus

Which multiplatform games? We have cross-gen multiplatform games and they already hit the limits of the PlayStation 5? :messenger_hushed:

Bryank75

Banned
Can someone start a thread 'Should we be worried that we haven't seen anything running on Xbox Series X yet?'

We still haven't seen a single piece of software played on the SX and any games shown looked very underwhelming, I think it's time to worry about the hardwares capability and if it is reliable.....

It could be suffering from instability, bad optimization, overheating or a myriad of other issues.... why is Xbox afraid to show it running game?

Journey

Banned
Similar rumors and murmurs when Xbox One and PS4 were close to launch, talking about 900p vs 1080p and or lower frame rates on XB1, and of course similar push back from Xbox fans 🤷🏻‍♂️

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Can someone start a thread 'Should we be worried that we haven't seen anything running on Xbox Series X yet?'

We still haven't seen a single piece of software played on the SX and any games shown looked very underwhelming, I think it's time to worry about the hardwares capability and if it is reliable.....

It could be suffering from instability, bad optimization, overheating or a myriad of other issues.... why is Xbox afraid to show it running game?
Would certainly be a fair thread.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

They did the same thing for Xbox one. Games weren't shown on Xbox one hardware till gamescom. (2013)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom