• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Variable Frequency is Very Versatile, Tempest Will be a Game Changer – Dev

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

CBE Software’s Jan Kavan, who developed the first person adventure thriller Someday You’ll Return, said that it “really depends on what kind of game you make. In Someday You’ll Return I was able to have at peak moments of 10ms / frame at obsolete i7 CPU while most of the time the game ran at 4-6 ms/frame CPU bound. But the variable frequency is a neat idea (if it works properly) because it’s very versatile.”

Sony has also spoke a lot about 3D, especially its Tempest audio engine. In conjunction with the DualSense’s haptic feedback and variable triggers, it’s meant to aid in one’s immersion. Kavan says that, “It will be a game-changer but it will also depend on the consumer’s side of audio. For me it’s personally the reason I want to work with PS5.” It would certainly be interesting, if not downright terrifying, to see how horror games utilize this technology.

cireza

Banned
Variable frequency is versatile. It is becoming more difficult everyday to explain how this aspect of the console is actually a strength it seems.

Or you could have a system that delivers its full potential 100% of the time and don't have to care about adjusting frequency.

Dee_Dee

I have a nice Atmos soundbar, but I'd suspect most people will be listening normal TV speakers while gaming even in next gen. 3D audio is a nice to have feature, but hardly a game changer in any sense.
Yea. I plan on getting a nice sound bar for next gen but the average consumer will probably just use the tv speakers.

In really considering buying a pulse headset alongside the PS5. Sounds like a pretty good combination especially with the tempest engine powering it.

The controller I'm more excited by how ergonomic it looks more than it's features but I'm still very curious as to what the haptic feedback will feel like.

When it comes to variable frequency alot of people are treating it like its a bad thing but there are some advantages to it. We will have to wait and see if it was worth it over a fixed frequency.

S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Tempest sounds (lol) really interesting.

Variable frequency is versatile. It is becoming more difficult everyday to explain how this aspect of the console is actually a strength it seems.

Or you could have a system that delivers its full potential 100% of the time and don't have to care about adjusting frequency.

It's a compensation method plain and simple. There is absolutely no advantage to having it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nickolaidas

Banned
I have a nice Atmos soundbar, but I'd suspect most people will be listening normal TV speakers while gaming even in next gen. 3D audio is a nice to have feature, but hardly a game changer in any sense.
I'm buying a samsung soundbar next month, too. Around a 1000 bucks.

Last edited:

MDSLKTR

You can get an actual 5.1 setup with that much money that will wipe the floor with any soundbar.
Are soundbars still meh compared to what was on the market last decade? I haven't been following the technology, still rocking a 5.1.

Amaranty

Are soundbars still meh compared to what was on the market last decade? I haven't been following the technology, still rocking a 5.1.
From what I've read is that soundbars are always worse than dedicated speaker setups. I own a Sony soundbar with a separate subwoofer and they sound good to me but they were also quite expensive. I think if you'd pay the same price for separate sound system, then you'd get better quality compared to a soundbar.

Soundbars are minimalistic and they usually fit nicely between the TV stand. That's why they're popular.

nowhat

I just got a 4.1.2 Atmos soundbar along with an LG CX - it would have retailed for 600€ but as a bundle it was only 250€ more so why not.

It's fine for what it is, and certainly an improvement over the TV speakers. But without back speakers, there's only so much "positional info" you can get out of it. Playing TLoU 2 recently, where this is quite vital, it's easy for example to tell a sound is coming from somewhere right off-screen - but whether in front of you or behind you, that's harder to tell.

Rikkori

Absolutely. You can't cheat physics. Soundbars are generally for people who prioritise aesthetics and convenience over sound quality, or people who are whipped and their wives/gf won't let them buy a proper system, they have WAF (= wife acceptance factor).

Obligatory cross-post from /r/hometheater:

*Version 3.0* by /u/Bill_Money, /u/GBMaxSE, /u/DZCreeper, & /u/RadicalSnowdude

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of soundbars and the tyranny of WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of fidelity, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost sound. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to force soundbars and HTIB’s on my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

-----------------------------------------------

Soundbars are more marketed towards mainstream customers. These people are those who either don’t know about audio, those who find it extremely difficult to match red and black, or those who think that a receiver is ancient like their Uncle Billy’s receiver from the 80s.

Are soundbars better then TV Speakers? Yes, but how much better? Well a $200 Soundbar will barely sound better and at a $600+ soundbar then a receiver (or even just a stereo amp) and speakers would be a far better investment and sound better.

However, soundbars have their issues:

Soundbars are inherently limited to producing the 3 front channels of audio with a front soundstage that is too close together & a subwoofer via a poor under-powered wireless sub or if you are lucky a LFE out.

Now before you tell me what about a 7.1.4 DoLbY aTmOs SoUnDbAr, ok fine its got "7-9" speakers in front of you with tiny ass upfiring speakers & tiny little surrounds, do you really think that is going to be able to compete against even a properly placed 5.1.2 Atmos system?

Driver size. Sound reproduction is done through vibration, for each frequency you need a certain amount of air displacement. As such, larger drivers are required to produce low frequencies with high volume. Smaller drivers can create these frequencies, but only with enough excursion (movement of the driver). Excursion requires power, even if you artificially flatten the frequency response, the power handling of the driver and your amplification is a hard limit.

Because soundbars are compact, they can not fit mid-sized drivers such as 6.5, 5.25, or even 4 inch. Small drivers of 2-3 inches have trouble producing mid-bass, even in a ported aka bass reflex housing. You end up with a frequency response that might be good overall, but has a noticeable dip between the subwoofer and the soundbar itself.

The subwoofers provided are weak and under-powered. Even ones that may be "adequate" are substantially overpriced.

Finally, the electronic portion of the soundbar serves as a replacement for a receiver. While this seems initially convenient, it limits your future expansion, and support for new formats.

There is really only one upside to a soundbar, and that is when you want your setup to consist of plugging in an Optical cable and power or for your parents/grand parents.

With a proper setup, whether it’s a simple stereo setup or a full surround setup you get bigger drivers that are much more spaced out that push more air around the entire room exponentially. The quality of the drivers are better too which helps in actual audio quality. You have a greater variety to choose from based on budget, aesthetics, quality, etc that you can choose from.

Lots of people will have arguments against separates:

1. It’s expensive

You can get a stereo setup with a cheap amp for $150 which sounds better.

2. I want a smart setup

Receivers are smart, they’re not like those old receivers even though they look like it (real talk tho, for people who say that receivers look dated, I actually agree. It’s not a valid reason against them but I get it). They support bluetooth, wifi, your voice assistants from Amazon and Google collecting your data for those who are into that, airplay, and more. They have the same features and capabilities as your modern soundbars.

3. Soundbars are sleeker and better looking

I mean ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder i guess. I personally think that soundbars are dull and boring to look at. But then again, people who think soundbars look nicer are those who are used to speakers being black boxes, people who don’t know that the white KEF Q150 or the Deftech Demands exist. Hell, even some inexpensive Miccas do look quite appealing. There is also In Wall options as well.

4. ant something easy to setup and use

If someone doesn’t know how to match red to red and black to black they have bigger problems than audio. It’s not hard at all, they’re just extremely lazy. I mean, if they find connecting two wires to a speaker taxing or rocket science then IDK what to say. Because once the setup is finished the ease of use is just like a soundbar.

5. I don’t want a surround sound setup because of [insert reason here]

Then don’t get one. For some reason a lot of people think that separates are automatically surround sound with surround speakers. If someone doesn’t want a surround sound setup then get a stereo (2.0), 2.1, 3.0, or 3.1 setup.

-----------------------------

Even at only $200 used options on craigslist, kiji, offer up, /r/avexchange, etc. would be a far better investment even with an older receiver the speakers will be able to be connected to a new receiver which can be purchased at a later date.

[Powered Monitors](https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetAudiophile/comments/7fatbf/list_of_powered_speakers_by_price_and_type/) are also a better idea at around $70-$150.

Hell a Stereo T-Amp & a Set of starter bookshelves can be had for under $120

* WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)/But what if I don't have space for speakers? Well I would ask if you could still fit a receiver (or amplifier) then look at a [Speaker Bar aka Passive Soundbar](https://www.reddit.com/r/HTBuyingGuides/comments/dy6wnw/speakerbars_passive_soundbars_recommendations/) instead.

This allows you to pick your own subwoofer, have the Room Correction of a receiver, upgrade in the future and add surrounds easily. Most cable box remotes can be programmed to control an audio receiver or amp.

Multiple sources? A simple Harmony 650/665 Universal remote (if line of sight) or Harmony Elite (if no line of sight) can take care of this easily.

Ok you still want a soundbar because WAF then look into upgrading to a new wife (kidding, or am I?).

* But its only a bedroom, kitchen, RV, or vacation house

If its not your primary viewing area then a soundbar is ok in these situations.

Avoid the cheapo LG, Samsung, Sony, ones that are like $200.

I recommend either going super cheap with a Vizio or look at a nicer one like the Sonos Beam, Sonos Playbar, Martin Logan Motion 2.0, Martin Logan Verse, Martin Logan Cadence, or a Yamaha option.

/r/Soundbars also exists as a sub specializing in Soundbars.

/r/AtmosSoundbars also exists as a sub specializing in dOlBy AtMoS sOuNdBaRs.

* But its for my parents/grandparents

Well if its only a single source like a cable box then a receiver and speakers would still work great or even a 2.0 with an amp that has a remote like the SMSL Q5 Pro. Most cable box remotes can be programmed to control an audio receiver or amp. Multiple sources? A simple Harmony 650/665 Universal remote (if line of sight) or Harmony Elite (if no line of sight) can take care of this easily. Ok you still want a soundbar because that's what they want then see But its only a bedroom, kitchen, RV, or vacation house.

I've convinced you not to buy a soundbar? - great here's resources to help pick out a home theater system:

[HT Buying Guides Speaker Recommendations](https://www.reddit.com/r/HTBuyingGuides/comments/dy8270/speaker_recommendations/)

[HT Buying Guides Amp & Receiver Recommendations](https://www.reddit.com/r/HTBuyingGuides/comments/dy6viz/receiver_recommendations/)

[HT Buying Guides Subwoofer Recommendations](https://www.reddit.com/r/HTBuyingGuides/comments/dy6ui7/subwoofer_recommendations/)

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

Strongly dislike it. But I play on Xbox anyway, so I won't feel forced to buy something I find ugly, unlike people who have loved Sony for years and plan to pick up a PS5.
Developers aren't even trying to use the SSD it seems ! Otherwise you would not have to choose between 4k and 60fps, as the thing does magic if I believe what PS experts were saying.
Microsoft made the right choices. No wonder Phil Spencer felt good about those choices after the PS5 was officially revealed.

Series X will be able to deliver 12 TFlops all the time with low frequency which will lead to a quieter and cooler console. As well as smaller and more powerful. Quite impressive. If it manages to be cheaper this will be a home run for the hardware part.

It seems you have an anti-Sony agenda...
Why else would you be posting in a ps5 related thread when you have zero interest in the console?

Soundboard are to audio what Consoles are to gaming.

If you want the absolute best and total control, there are better options out there, but you'll be paying through the nose for it.

Soundbars are easy to set up, a vast improvement over the shitty built in speakers even the best TV's come with, and thus will make any audio you experience better.

If you've got the money to burn, the space to house them, no children or pets that would get upset by them or accidentally destroy them, no neighbours to piss off and the time and inclination to set them up, a proper surround sound set of speakers is obviously best.

But if you just want what you're listening to to not sound shit, then a sound bar is a 7/10 'good enough' upgrade.

Last edited:

DrDamn

Yea. I plan on getting a nice sound bar for next gen but the average consumer will probably just use the tv speakers.

The point of the Tempest audio engine 3D sound is that it will work with TV speakers or headphones too. No need for sound bars or 5.1+ systems. I kind of tuned out when the presentation got to that point, but re-watched it at a later date. It's clever stuff if it works well.

cireza

Banned
Why else would you be posting in a ps5 related thread when you have zero interest in the console?
Well simply because I can post wherever I want and share what I think, as everyone here. I have the right to think, and state my opinion, that a variable frequency is not as good as a fixed frequency.

It seems that you willingly ignored other posts that do not favor Microsoft as well :messenger_grinning:

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Banned
Absolutely. You can't cheat physics. Soundbars are generally for people who prioritise aesthetics and convenience over sound quality, or people who are whipped and their wives/gf won't let them buy a proper system, they have WAF (= wife acceptance factor).

Obligatory cross-post from /r/hometheater:

*Version 3.0* by /u/Bill_Money, /u/GBMaxSE, /u/DZCreeper, & /u/RadicalSnowdude

"The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of soundbars and the tyranny of WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor). Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of fidelity, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost sound. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to force soundbars and HTIB’s on my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee."

-----------------------------------------------

Soundbars are more marketed towards mainstream customers. These people are those who either don’t know about audio, those who find it extremely difficult to match red and black, or those who think that a receiver is ancient like their Uncle Billy’s receiver from the 80s.

Are soundbars better then TV Speakers? Yes, but how much better? Well a $200 Soundbar will barely sound better and at a $600+ soundbar then a receiver (or even just a stereo amp) and speakers would be a far better investment and sound better.

However, soundbars have their issues:

Soundbars are inherently limited to producing the 3 front channels of audio with a front soundstage that is too close together & a subwoofer via a poor under-powered wireless sub or if you are lucky a LFE out.

Now before you tell me what about a 7.1.4 DoLbY aTmOs SoUnDbAr, ok fine its got "7-9" speakers in front of you with tiny ass upfiring speakers & tiny little surrounds, do you really think that is going to be able to compete against even a properly placed 5.1.2 Atmos system?

Driver size. Sound reproduction is done through vibration, for each frequency you need a certain amount of air displacement. As such, larger drivers are required to produce low frequencies with high volume. Smaller drivers can create these frequencies, but only with enough excursion (movement of the driver). Excursion requires power, even if you artificially flatten the frequency response, the power handling of the driver and your amplification is a hard limit.

Because soundbars are compact, they can not fit mid-sized drivers such as 6.5, 5.25, or even 4 inch. Small drivers of 2-3 inches have trouble producing mid-bass, even in a ported aka bass reflex housing. You end up with a frequency response that might be good overall, but has a noticeable dip between the subwoofer and the soundbar itself.

The subwoofers provided are weak and under-powered. Even ones that may be "adequate" are substantially overpriced.

Finally, the electronic portion of the soundbar serves as a replacement for a receiver. While this seems initially convenient, it limits your future expansion, and support for new formats.

There is really only one upside to a soundbar, and that is when you want your setup to consist of plugging in an Optical cable and power or for your parents/grand parents.

With a proper setup, whether it’s a simple stereo setup or a full surround setup you get bigger drivers that are much more spaced out that push more air around the entire room exponentially. The quality of the drivers are better too which helps in actual audio quality. You have a greater variety to choose from based on budget, aesthetics, quality, etc that you can choose from.

Lots of people will have arguments against separates:

1. It’s expensive

You can get a stereo setup with a cheap amp for $150 which sounds better.

2. I want a smart setup

Receivers are smart, they’re not like those old receivers even though they look like it (real talk tho, for people who say that receivers look dated, I actually agree. It’s not a valid reason against them but I get it). They support bluetooth, wifi, your voice assistants from Amazon and Google collecting your data for those who are into that, airplay, and more. They have the same features and capabilities as your modern soundbars.

3. Soundbars are sleeker and better looking

I mean ... beauty is in the eye of the beholder i guess. I personally think that soundbars are dull and boring to look at. But then again, people who think soundbars look nicer are those who are used to speakers being black boxes, people who don’t know that the white KEF Q150 or the Deftech Demands exist. Hell, even some inexpensive Miccas do look quite appealing. There is also In Wall options as well.

4. ant something easy to setup and use

If someone doesn’t know how to match red to red and black to black they have bigger problems than audio. It’s not hard at all, they’re just extremely lazy. I mean, if they find connecting two wires to a speaker taxing or rocket science then IDK what to say. Because once the setup is finished the ease of use is just like a soundbar.

5. I don’t want a surround sound setup because of [insert reason here]

Then don’t get one. For some reason a lot of people think that separates are automatically surround sound with surround speakers. If someone doesn’t want a surround sound setup then get a stereo (2.0), 2.1, 3.0, or 3.1 setup.

Even at only $200 used options on craigslist, kiji, offer up, /r/avexchange, etc. would be a far better investment even with an older receiver the speakers will be able to be connected to a new receiver which can be purchased at a later date.

[Powered Monitors](https://www.reddit.com/r/BudgetAudiophile/comments/7fatbf/list_of_powered_speakers_by_price_and_type/) are also a better idea at around $70-$150.

Hell a Stereo T-Amp & a Set of starter bookshelves can be had for under $120

* WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor)/But what if I don't have space for speakers? Well I would ask if you could still fit a receiver (or amplifier) then look at a [Speaker Bar aka Passive Soundbar](https://www.reddit.com/r/HTBuyingGuides/comments/dy6wnw/speakerbars_passive_soundbars_recommendations/) instead.

This allows you to pick your own subwoofer, have the Room Correction of a receiver, upgrade in the future and add surrounds easily. Most cable box remotes can be programmed to control an audio receiver or amp.

Multiple sources? A simple Harmony 650/665 Universal remote (if line of sight) or Harmony Elite (if no line of sight) can take care of this easily.

Ok you still want a soundbar because WAF then look into upgrading to a new wife (kidding, or am I?).

* But its only a bedroom, kitchen, RV, or vacation house

If its not your primary viewing area then a soundbar is ok in these situations.

Avoid the cheapo LG, Samsung, Sony, ones that are like $200.

I recommend either going super cheap with a Vizio or look at a nicer one like the Sonos Beam, Sonos Playbar, Martin Logan Motion 2.0, Martin Logan Verse, Martin Logan Cadence, or a Yamaha option.

/r/Soundbars also exists as a sub specializing in Soundbars.

/r/AtmosSoundbars also exists as a sub specializing in dOlBy AtMoS sOuNdBaRs.

* But its for my parents/grandparents

Well if its only a single source like a cable box then a receiver and speakers would still work great or even a 2.0 with an amp that has a remote like the SMSL Q5 Pro. Most cable box remotes can be programmed to control an audio receiver or amp. Multiple sources? A simple Harmony 650/665 Universal remote (if line of sight) or Harmony Elite (if no line of sight) can take care of this easily. Ok you still want a soundbar because that's what they want then see But its only a bedroom, kitchen, RV, or vacation house.

I've convinced you not to buy a soundbar? - great here's resources to help pick out a home theater system:

[HT Buying Guides Speaker Recommendations](https://www.reddit.com/r/HTBuyingGuides/comments/dy8270/speaker_recommendations/)

[HT Buying Guides Amp & Receiver Recommendations](https://www.reddit.com/r/HTBuyingGuides/comments/dy6viz/receiver_recommendations/)

[HT Buying Guides Subwoofer Recommendations](https://www.reddit.com/r/HTBuyingGuides/comments/dy6ui7/subwoofer_recommendations/)
..... Congrats, now I'm conflicted.

Imtjnotu

Cerny said its more for headphone users. And any headphones plugged into the controller should benefit from the 3d audio experience with ps5. It does not have to be a specific headset

In the same manner that the esram was a "benefit" to the Xbox one, it allows the devs to squeeze more out of hardware that would otherwise not allow it (the clocks would just be lower all the time)... In the Xbox one the games would run much worse if the machine only had DDR3 and no esram at all.

I think games that can run the CPU stuff at lower clocks to reach their target framerate (let's say 60) will be able to hit the top GPU frequency they need without a hitch.
and I don't think that the downclocks are that important to begin with... But when we see multiplat games I may be proven right... Or wrong.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster

The key thing is that no system is going to be required to deliver at its full potential all the time, because no real-world workloads actually demand that.

soulbait

The point of the Tempest audio engine 3D sound is that it will work with TV speakers or headphones too. No need for sound bars or 5.1+ systems. I kind of tuned out when the presentation got to that point, but re-watched it at a later date. It's clever stuff if it works well.

With stereo headphones, the 3D audio can work well because the sound is going directly into your ears. For TV stereo speakers however, the sound waves spread and bounce before they reach your ears, so the effects will lessen. This is why a multi-speaker setup will be more important. Will there be sound improvements for basic Tv stereo speakers, probably, but fake "surround" mode has been made for these for years and they never match close to a proper multi-speaker setup.

Tempest engine has me excited as someone who has a nice home theater audio system. I just don't have high hopes for standard TV stereo setups, because in the end you are still dealing with the physics of audio waves and how they travel. Don't believe all the PR/marketing.

Nickolaidas

Banned
You can get an actual 5.1 setup with that much money that will wipe the floor with any soundbar.
Just to be clear, I'm thinking of buying a Samsung HW-Q90R Soundbar. It comes with a subwoofer and two rear speakers. And it is supposedly one of the best soundbars out there.

I currently have an LG home theatre system where the Blu-Ray player also acts as an A/V Receiver with only one optical cable output (cannot use HDMI cable for sound, UNLESS it is the BluRay / Receiver itself, which is only to watch movies, and cannot work with a PS4, X-Box or my PC).

cireza

Banned
In the same manner that the esram was a "benefit" to the Xbox one
I don't see how we can say that esram was a good thing for Xbox One. My feeling is that the RAM setting was a problem for third party games overall.

The key thing is that no system is going to be required to deliver at its full potential all the time, because no real-world workloads actually demand that.
You don't use your CPU at 100% all the time, but when you want to use it at 100% you would be pretty disappointed to only have 90 or 80% available. You don't need variable frequency to be able to use only 50% or even 10% of your CPU.
Real life situations will show us the results, once the games and console are out there. But I am already supposing that there will be inconsistent results for PS5 on demanding games.

Last edited:
I can't wait for Tempest Audio. A have proper hifi vintage audio stereo setup with dac and two sets of stereo speakers and also a nice pair of headphones from Ultrasone, they have this cool patent called S-logic which actually bounces up the sound waves around your ear and only then in to your ear canal - so they make like a whole ambiance and stage and echo and sounds on headphones like my loudspeakers do. It sounds so awesome. Can't wait to hear the PS5 audio source on these headphones. This what excites me more than 2 teraflops difference, my dudes - could be the wow moment I want in the next gen. Not only graphics. I hope there are more of the hifi brothers in this forum - let's stir up a nice and civil discussion what excites you more - terraflops? Or some nice 3d audio which could set a bar a bit more than 3d audio we have now in games?

Last edited:

I disagree, I recently upgraded to a 7.1 surround system and it made a massive difference in sound quality even over 5.1 surround sound. If the tempest engine allows games to process 3D, Ray Traced Audio, especially combined with Dolby Atmos it will be an incredible upgrade. Imagine hearing raindrops fall from above you if you have height channels. Or being able to pinpoint exactly where an enemy is walking or shooting their gun from around a doorway.

Nickolaidas

Banned
I can't find a home theatre system with the receiver supporting both 4K and HDR in my country. And if I find such a receiver, it comes with no speakers, and I have no idea what speakers to buy which won't get fried by the receiver.

The best I found was this, but it doesn't support HDR (at least, doesn't say if it does).

Last edited:
I don't see how we can say that esram was a good thing for Xbox One. My feeling is that the RAM setting was a problem for third party games overall.
It was "good" compared to having the exact same RAM without it--that would have been much slower.

Was the PS4's solution better? yes, definitely, that was a pretty big foresight on Sony's part, but that was risky as well... it also had a much better GPU (if the one had the same GPU as the PS4 + more ESRAM it would have helped it a lot, maybe their performance levels would have been equal for all intents and purporses, at least once MS got rid of the kinekt).

ZywyPL

Banned

Or there's simply no room for a proper surround setup. That's the main reason soundbars are growing in popularity. But anyway, given that most if not all modern TVs have those tiny tiny speakers located on the back, even a decent 3.1 soundbar will be already a huuuge jump in quality over the standard TV speakers. Some higher-end models even come with wireless rear satellites for that true 5.1 sound. So yeah, no wonder many people don't want to hustle with setting up all the speakers and wires over their living room when it can be so easy and convenient.

Journey

Banned

I think he's just using it as an analogy. ESRAM was needed to make up for the use of DDR3. When originally conceived, 8GB of GDDR5 was not feasible. Sony was going with 4GB of GDDR5, but MS was determinted to use 8GB from the beginning, leaving DDR3 + ESRAM as the only option back in 2010 or 2011 while planning, maybe there was no way to predict 8GB of GDDR5 would be possible back then, Sony certainly changed the spec last minute and upped it to 8GB. It's hard to imagine all of the current gen features squeezed in to just 4GB. At the end of the day, ESRAM was a necessity, it also cost MS some die space leaving room for just 14CU's instead of 20.

tryDEATH

With so many "game changers" possible on the PS5 are we even going to be playing games anymore? lol

Glad devs are excited by the new consoles maybe we won't get as many boring games next generation.

Not so excited about the tempest, as it seems to be aimed towards headphone use.
Hope it brings some benefits for proper surround systems too.

Well most consumers dont probably see big differences between ps4 and ps5/xsex in graphics.

I mean, while masses may be too stupid or have too bad equipment to enjoy 3D audio, it is still great feature for people whom have good speakers or headset.

Hard to blame Sony if people don't want to invest good sound quality and surround

Liberty4all

Banned

I bought a 299CAD/239 USD sound bar ... POLK command bar a year ago https://www.polkaudio.com/products/command-sound-bar

waaay better then my tv speakers, but not as immersive as my old Yamaha Receiver and 5.1 set up bought in the early 2000s. I do think at a minimum a sound bar is a must with a decent tv.

with that said the soundbar is simple and clean, sound quality is a big step up from TV speakers And it was relatively cheap. If I really want to immerse I use headphones. I won’t go back to 5.1 until wireless tech is flawless (maybe it is ? Haven't looked into it now for years).

Last edited:

CamHostage

I would love to buy a soundbar but I live in a apartment house and residents would kill me.
I don't have much to add to the soundbar chat but one of the nice things is you don't HAVE to staple it to the TV itself. Depending on the sweetspot of the bar, you could mount it off the wall (saving from direct sound transfer) and maybe even a little closer to you (making you need less volume.) It's unorthodox, but you could mount it to the front of your entertainment stand or on an extension arm or some other bracket system. They're designed to line up the picture and sound so that the viewer gets everything oriented at them (as opposed to the old 5.1 and other speaker systems that blasted a sound zone at you from the corners or the ceiling or wherever speakers were jammed in your room), but soundbars are just an array of speakers in a long box, so plug it in where it works best for you.

Sorry, but your atmos channel isn't doing anything on that soundbar. Sound bars are a sin for anyone into home theater audio.

You're not getting surround channels either. At most you're getting a 3.1 system but even then, the center and front left+right speakers are too close together in the bar to make any real noticeable sound separation. Sound bars are just a gimmick.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
I've migrated to headphones.... they made a huge difference when playing TLOU2. It really made the whole experience better and allowed me to appreciate the amount of detail in the sound design.

Gamerguy84

Yep me too. Used to have 5.1

Have a nice soundbar I use during the day for everything. Switch to headphones when everyone goes to sleep.

Top Bottom