• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5: VRR Update Is Reportedly Coming In December

Status
Not open for further replies.

rofif

Banned
This is highly unlikely because Sony is using a DP 1.4 => HDMI Converter chip.
As we all know DP 1.4 is limited to 32 Gbps. This would also explain why Sony never mentioned ALLM (=> there is no ALLM for DP).

They did not lie. 4K/HDR/120 is already possible. VRR does not incrase the bandwidth.
In other words: 32 Gbps is totally fine. Of course 422 chroma subsampling must be used in order to fit the signal into 32 Gbps, but Sony never claimed support for 4K@HDR@120@10Bit@RGB. Even 8K will work just fine with 32 Gbps with the help of DSC (Sony did not say that the 8K works uncompressed). In fact: Even 24 Gbps is enough for an 8K signal that is compressed with DSC.

You have to thank the HDMI Forum for the lack of transparency regarding the HDMI specifications/advertisements etc.
What does double penetration got to do with HDMI ?

REDRZA MWS

That's not true. Check my video earlier from hdtv. I confirm this.
If you don't run 120hz, this tvs, pixels don't receive proper voltage.
This results in a bit wrong gamma below 120hz and flicker if fps changes aggressively. It's only visible on dark scenes. It's not a huge issue do I don't care much too
Not my tv. No issues.

Vtecomega

Banned
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I've disabled VRR on my LG C1 as it introduced a lot more input lag and dimmed the HDR. Games look and feel so much better without Gsync VRR and just having 120hz on.

rofif

Banned
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but I've disabled VRR on my LG C1 as it introduced a lot more input lag and dimmed the HDR. Games look and feel so much better without Gsync VRR and just having 120hz on.
not sure about lag. Vrr should not intrduce any lag. Also not sure about HDR dimming. But vrr can have some issues.
REDRZA MWS REDRZA MWS does not notice anything on his G1 but I do on c1. Nothing major or game breaking though for me.

Chukhopops

That makes no sense unless you actually switched to a different TV setting at the same time, but if you have a C1 and a Series console you should have ALLM switching you to game mode automatically.

VRR does not increase input lag, if anything you should have lower frame time running at higher frame rate with VRR.

rofif

Banned
OK I recorded some proof. Take a look. Image is more washed out (higher gamma) at 30 and 60fps. 30 and 60 look almost the same but 120 to 60 is visible. Also, rapid switching between 30 and 60 causes "flicker".
REDRZA MWS REDRZA MWS You do not observe this on series X as games run at rather stable framerate and does not artificially jump 60/120 etc. And You have no direct comparison to 120hz image, so You cannot see how worse 60hz image looks.

Vtecomega

Banned
OK I recorded some proof. Take a look. Image is more washed out (higher gamma) at 30 and 60fps. 30 and 60 look almost the same but 120 to 60 is visible. Also, rapid switching between 30 and 60 causes "flicker".
REDRZA MWS REDRZA MWS You do not observe this on series X as games run at rather stable framerate and does not artificially jump 60/120 etc. And You have no direct comparison to 120hz image, so You cannot see how worse 60hz image looks.

Wow that's super interesting! Cheers for that man! Ive noticed that flicker too.

Btw should I enable VRR or Freesync premium on the series X? This shit is so confusing to me😭

rofif

Banned
Wow that's super interesting! Cheers for that man! Ive noticed that flicker too.

Btw should I enable VRR or Freesync premium on the series X? This shit is so confusing to me😭
I don't have xbox but I would enable it if you play 120hz games FOR SURE. Like cod.
But for 30 or 60fps locked games, disable vrr maybe. Can xbox force always on 120hz output for 30 and 60hz games? ps5 can't.
I still don't know what is the difference of 60hz achieved by VRR vs locked 60hz (like running without vrr, 4k60 console output). Probably the same, inaccurate gamma.

BTW - it's happening in SDR just the same. Now my eyes hurt because I aso compared sdr to hdr looking at the lamp in RE2 and now my eyes hurt. That shit is so fucking bright I love it :D

Last edited:

Vtecomega

Banned
I don't have xbox but I would enable it if you play 120hz games FOR SURE. Like cod.
But for 30 or 60fps locked games, disable vrr maybe. Can xbox force always on 120hz output for 30 and 60hz games? ps5 can't

Ok awesome thanks bro. Yeah it's one great feature with the Xbox is you're able to force 120hz at all times.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I don't know why. For me battlefield 5 is easier. No scope and low input delay at 120hz! The tv is like 8ms which is great and handles motion better than any LCD.

I don't sit 8 feet away. I sit the same distance as I did too a monitor. The tv just replaced it on a desk. There are no visible pixels. I was afraid of that coming from 27 4k but nope it's crystal clear and amazing. And I can lean back in my chair comfortably since 27 4k was too small to do that.
But when I play pc games with mouse, it's great. No drawbacks. Took 2 days to get used to the size.

8y1gyxkavsg71.jpg
Beautiful set up.

When I play games like Ratchet or really any great single player games I am always on my C9.

But when I play shooters I play on a monitor as I dont care near as much about the HDR or even the bloom I like the less amount of realstate my eyes need to cover.

The LG 27GP950 is my monitor of choice and love it for these new consoles and of course PC gaming.

Popping in and and out stock last week or two as well if anyone is looking to upgrade:

LG 27” UltraGear UHD Nano IPS 1ms 144Hz Monitor with NVIDIA G-SYNC Compatible with AMD FreeSync Premium Pro Black 27GP950-B.AUS - Best Buy

REDRZA MWS

As I’ve said. All my settings are turned on as far as hdmi 2.1 and gaming. I’ve never seen my picture washed out, zero flickering, nothing.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
No drawbacks.
At that distance - there's drawbacks mate.

48" has a recommended 5-8 feet viewing distance. If you get closer the pixels starts to show.

And the burn-in risk, that's a major drawback for gamers like me, who easily plays for 8 hours straight.

REDRZA MWS

I don’t know if that’s a certain game, or PC, but on series x generally speaking (that’s not a series x settings menu), you can’t go into individual games and change the FPS, and not sure why you’d want to.

I said my SERIES X has no issues with my tv. All set to on, 120hz, VRR, ALLM, and HDR. Calibrated my TV and Xbox settings for HDR gaming, there is zero flicker. Nothing is washed out.

Edit: since the Xbox series x allows you to lock in 120hz as a UI setting, and apparently LG’s OLED panels are optimized for 120hz, I’ve never once seen flickering or any washed out (gamma) issues.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Furteen fourty pe please!

I honestly can't understand why Sony isn't investing in the monitor field. We all know that they sell $30-50K monitors for hollywood and calibrators, but a more budget-friendly, gaming/video+photo-editing oriented would work well. It'll help them squeeze more money, and they make their own OLED monitors in Japan (partnering with Panasonic and Japan Display) which are kinda expensive but I think if they come pre-calibrated most content creators would consider them, especially if they had some gaming features.

joled.jpg

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Any next major game will be 30.
Now would it be better if they had 30 and 60fps mode or 30 and 30+ vrr move that will probably never go up to 60 because with vrr they don't care?

When most people have TVs that support VRR then that 2nd option would be viable. But in my experience with g sync it works better with high framerates over 60.

rofif

Banned
At that distance - there's drawbacks mate.

48" has a recommended 5-8 feet viewing distance. If you get closer the pixels starts to show.

And the burn-in risk, that's a major drawback for gamers like me, who easily plays for 8 hours straight.
Burn risk is real, sure. I've had 1200 hours on my lg c1 (since march yikes) and had no visible signs of usage. I did had to warranty replace the panel because a stuck green pixel appeared on the middle but that can happen on any tv/monitor.
And honestly I do not care. i will take the burn in risk any day over worse lcd qualities. The size, black, uniformity and awesome hdr is just nice.
I plan to put this tv in my living room to replace 2008 bravia and get c2 or whatever next best thing next year. if burn in happens in 3-4 years, I don't care. I have wallpapers set to change ever 1 minute and black screen saver ever 2 minutes.

As for pixels - I am really surprised and I am not lying. the extreme pixel density of 27" 4k was the reason why I loved it. Everything looked like vectors on it and I avoided last year lg 48 cx because I was afraid of ppi. But I risked it this year and 4k at 48" looks.... honesty nearly as good. Look at the pic from my sitting distance. It's not bad at all. I cannot see aliasing of text or pixels sitting like in the first picture (sitting normally at a desk, using mouse and keyboard). Maybe because there are 4 sub pixels and not traditional 3... or because thes are not square.

it looks worse in the picture. Oneplus totally destroyed the camera quality with new updates...
dLazIXC.jpg

Last edited:

8BiTw0LF

Banned
Burn risk is real, sure. I've had 1200 hours on my lg c1 (since march yikes) and had no visible signs of usage. I did had to warranty replace the panel because a stuck green pixel appeared on the middle but that can happen on any tv/monitor.
And honestly I do not care. i will take the burn in risk any day over worse lcd qualities. The size, black, uniformity and awesome hdr is just nice.
I plan to put this tv in my living room to replace 2008 bravia and get c2 or whatever next best thing next year. if burn in happens in 3-4 years, I don't care. I have wallpapers set to change ever 1 minute and black screen saver ever 2 minutes.

As for pixels - I am really surprised and I am not lying. the extreme pixel density of 27" 4k was the reason why I loved it. Everything looked like vectors on it and I avoided last year lg 48 cx because I was afraid of ppi. But I risked it this year and 4k at 48" looks.... honesty nearly as good. Look at the pic from my sitting distance. It's not bad at all. I cannot see aliasing of text or pixels sitting like in the first picture (sitting normally at a desk, using mouse and keyboard). Maybe because there are 4 sub pixels and not traditional 3... or because thes are not square.

it looks worse in the picture. Oneplus totally destroyed the camera quality with new updates...
dLazIXC.jpg
Dude, I'm breaking your balls, cause you started dissing monitors. Your screen is one of the best TV's on the market.
My screen is one of the best monitors on the market. Trying to find disadvantages on both is just hyperbole nitpicking 😂

And yeah, my OP8Pro's camera also suffered from updates. Weird!

Well at least Sony delivers a Christmas present this year.

We delayed Forbidden West, here at last here's some VRR for the people who have capable TV's.

rofif

Banned
Dude, I'm breaking your balls, cause you started dissing monitors. Your screen is one of the best TV's on the market.
My screen is one of the best monitors on the market. Trying to find disadvantages on both is just hyperbole nitpicking 😂

And yeah, my OP8Pro's camera also suffered from updates. Weird!
yeah my 7t is kinda trash now. I am going apple... fuck this android crap... maybe :p
yeah, I wanted to get your monitor too. I would for sure got it if I didn't decide for a huge ass tv :p

Genx3

I'll believe it when I see it.

If Sony could have just updated their HW to have it why wait so long??

ManaByte

dLazIXC.jpg

Dude, don't you know when you post an image of open tabs on GAF one of them has to be a Surprise?

I hope I am wrong but with the length of time it is taking for Sony to support VRR on the PS5 due to the issues with the SOC manufacturers adding it to their own TVS, I would not at all be surprised if the PS5's variant of VRR only works on Sony TVs or works 'better' on their TVs than other brands. This delay was due to the issue with the SOC used in their TVs, which is why Sony have not yet added support for VRR on their 2020 and 2021 range of TVs. Sony said they did not want owners of other TVs having a better experience on other brands of TV (even though, in my opinion, they already do if you own a Samsung QLED or LG OLED!) so VRR was delayed until the issue could be sorted out with their TVs.

Kind of disappointed that it will have taken Sony over a year to add VRR to the PS5. My Xbox One X has supported VRR for almost FOUR years!!! That means that launch games such as Watch Dog Legions and Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, which both have screen tearing and framerate drops in their 60 fps modes on PS5, will likely never support VRR as I doubt Ubisoft will bother to patch games that are a year old at that point. Same for any of the older games that have framerate issues and/or screen tearing. VRR will also be useful for more recent titles like Kena: Bridge of Spirits for example, assuming the developers patch the game, as that game while being screen tear-free does have some noticeable judder due to the intermittent framerate drop below 60 fps. VRR would help smooth out the performance for those moments, and in any other game that doesn't quite lock to 60 fps. Almost forgot but, of course, VRR will be great for those 120 fps games too such as Devil May Cry 5 and DiRT 5 that do not quite manage to lock to 120 fps all the time.

And finally, not that I am bothered about it as I think this feature is way overhyped and somewhat premature,. but I am guessing that they will also be adding 8K support to the PS5 as well a feature that has been advertised on the console box since launch last year! It's a wonder no-one is sueing them over it!

Last edited:
Honestly it's both! Sony puts a HIGH priority on their console business. But their TV business still is a HUGE driver of money. So the cart is leading the horse here, if that makes sense.

I have heard that their TV market has been struggling for years now, due to the competition offering similar but better products for lower prices.

At one time, the Sony brand was stong and was the reason I personally only bought Sony TVs, disc and music players etc, which PlayStation aside tended to be extremely reliable, but that time has now long passed and I think that brands like Samsung and LG offer overall better products for the money. I bought an LG B9 back in August 2019 instead of a Sony OLED and realised just how good other brand TVs actually are... I mean this TV already had four HDMI 2.1 ports (at a time when Sony didn't have any on their TVs and still now only ship with two) and VRR support right out of the box. If you own an Xbox One or Series console then there really was no reason to buy a Sony TV but instead a Samsung, LG or other TV that often offered more features that Sony's overpriced offerings. And if you owned a PS4 or a PS5, well there was still no reason to buy a Sony TV since neither supported VRR or ALLM!

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I have heard that their TV market has been struggling for years now, due to the competition offering similar but better products for lower prices.

At one time, the Sony brand was stong and was the reason I personally only bought Sony TVs, disc and music players etc, which PlayStation aside tended to be extremely reliable, but that time has now long passed and I think that brands like Samsung and LG offer overall better products for the money. I bought an LG B9 back in August 2019 instead of a Sony OLED and realised just how good other brand TVs actually are... I mean this TV already had four HDMI 2.1 ports (at a time when Sony didn't have any on their TVs and still now only ship with two) and VRR support right out of the box. If you own an Xbox One or Series console then there really was no reason to buy a Sony TV but instead a Samsung, LG or other TV that often offered more features that Sony's overpriced offerings. And if you owned a PS4 or a PS5, well there was still no reason to buy a Sony TV since neither supported VRR or ALLM!

Same here, I used to buy only Sony devices my entire live, but in the past 5 years I haven't got anything from them. I still love their design, but the competition simply offers better specs, more features, at lower price, while still looking good, so it's impossible to pass by it. But if the speculations about VRR not being there just because their TVs don't support it yet are true, then that's a very shitty move for everyone out there who already has a PS5 but paired with Samsung, LG etc. and doesn't intend to get a Sony TV anyway.

Great Hair

Banned
having a better experience on other brands of TV
(even though, in my opinion, they already do if you own a Samsung QLED
Vladimir Putin Laughing GIF

That means that launch games such as Watch Dog Legions and Assassin's Creed: Valhalla, which both have screen tearing and framerate drops in their 60 fps modes on PS5
Before the patch 1.0.4 ... the PS5 was fine, not dropping no frames. Unlike XSX ... then Patch 1.0.4 turned the tables. Hmm ...maybe.
And finally
not that I am bothered about it as
adding 8K support
a feature that has been advertised
since launch last year
It's a wonder no-one is sueing them over it!

The Tourist apparently will run at native 8K. Also this :

It seems to me, that your intent was to stir-up, trash-talk and less about the topic at hand. Maybe get the new elite controller v3 for $200, it´s prolly fixed now.

Rocket Thumbs Up GIF
Sweating Flowers In The Dirt GIF by Paul McCartney

vkbest

Before the patch 1.0.4 ... the PS5 was fine, not dropping no frames. Unlike XSX ... then Patch 1.0.4 turned the tables. Hmm ...maybe.

Yes, but 1.0.5 released and PS5 performance was greatly improved to the point where getting tearing on PS5 now is almost nonexistent even if DF didn't make a video.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Yes, but 1.0.5 released and PS5 performance was greatly improved to the point where getting tearing on PS5 now is almost nonexistent even if DF didn't make a video.
Super easy to get tearing and dropped frames on PS5, just run around the busier sections of Paris.

dotnotbot

You ever get a good oled panel bro or are you waiting for next year?

Old Panasonics are on now on a big sale so after A80J I bought 55HZ1000 for less than LG 55B1. It's pretty much the same as 55HZ980 I had few months ago so near-perfect panel and grid is for some reason a lot less noticeable than on CX or A80J, the only difference is that it handles 24 Hz properly, HZ980 would always do 3:2 pulldown resulting in an undefeatable judder.
Still, it has annoying motion issues with TV-led Dolby Vision that make it pretty much unwatchable for me (I can switch to player-led which works fine). Motion smoothing is also less consistent compared to Sony, slight hiccups from time to time. The only advantage is better near-black handling than Sony and LG, but it's not a huge difference.
So I'm tempted to try 55C1 but instead I could just live with this Panasonic that is pretty cheap and has almost perfect panel but is dragged down by Panasonic's mediocre processing. Still not sure what to do, I'm tired by all the returns.

Hoping the PS5 gets DV support as I hope they then add a Dolby Vision Game Mode to the XH90 at somepoint
I doubt it will happen. What they should do at least is add HGIG support, in theory it serves the same purpose.

Last edited:
Old Panasonics are on now on a big sale so after A80J I bought 55HZ1000 for less than LG 55B1. It's pretty much the same as 55HZ980 I had few months ago so near-perfect panel and grid is for some reason a lot less noticeable than on CX or A80J, the only difference is that it handles 24 Hz properly, HZ980 would always do 3:2 pulldown resulting in an undefeatable judder.
Still, it has annoying motion issues with TV-led Dolby Vision that make it pretty much unwatchable for me (I can switch to player-led which works fine). Motion smoothing is also less consistent compared to Sony, slight hiccups from time to time. The only advantage is better near-black handling than Sony and LG, but it's not a huge difference.
So I'm tempted to try 55C1 but instead I could just live with this Panasonic that is pretty cheap and has almost perfect panel but is dragged down by Panasonic's mediocre processing. Still not sure what to do, I'm tired by all the returns.

I doubt it will happen. What they should do at least is add HGIG support, in theory it serves the same purpose.
For what it's worth I will say c1 has the best oled motion to date,I mean it is amazing. But good luck on that lottery :( Only downsides to LG are out of the box color and gradients. Gradation is way worse than Sony.

I feel your pain bro it sounds like even the HZ1000 has a bit of grid... Otherwise if it had 0 I would personally shout FINALLY and just keep it lol.

Best of luck for your sanity lol, i'm on fence til next year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom