• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5: VRR Update Is Reportedly Coming In December

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotCentered

Neo Member
News has been updated with Sony's comment :

Update: In statements made to FlatpanelsHD Sony warns that the first VRR firmware is not final: "VRR has not been officially released for BRAVIA TVs. You can choose the VRR mode in the TV menu, but you may experience bugs. For the smoothest experience, we recommend waiting until VRR is officially released on BRAVIA TVs later this year," said Sony. The first update will be pushed out between October 6 and 13, and the second update for VRR will arrive later this year.

As for VRR on other models, Sony said: "The timing is still under consideration, but we can assure you that the update will arrive later this year."

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
News has been updated with Sony's comment :
Well There It Is Jurassic Park GIF

sendit

VRR will cease to be a talking point once this update gets pushed. Just like when comparing an AMD card vs an Nvidia card. VRR/Gsync/Freesync is never brought up in benchmarks.

dotnotbot

It's already December 5th and we still haven't received any major patch including VRR. Anyone could provide any info when we will receive big update including VRR and auto HDR tone dimming?
There's no such info. Sony doesn't give any concrete dates.

When it comes to "Auto HDR Tone-mapping", it's already available on X90H, X85J and all XR models. But it's a half-assed feature that doesn't bring anything new.

Last edited:

Zathalus

It's already December 5th and we still haven't received any major patch including VRR. Anyone could provide any info when we will receive big update including VRR and auto HDR tone dimming?
John on DF direct mentioned there was activity regarding VRR on the SDK but nothing major yet so it is still some ways away.

So likely still a few months off.

John on DF direct mentioned there was activity regarding VRR on the SDK but nothing major yet so it is still some ways away.

So likely still a few months off.

Well at least they are thinking about it. No idea when it will arrive though but the sooner the better.

I don't have a screen with VRR but I know there are people that really want it.

TrebleShot

This old cookie, we’ll it’s December where is it?

mom XSX it doesn’t have any tangible effect for me unless these games play like crap without it as when I switch to PS5 there is no difference even in games supposedly benefitting from it.

They are right to deprioritise this in my opinion, much bigger features to chase and innovation.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they shadow dropped it in one of these stability updates.

twilo99

Implementing something that is already part of the architecture (RDNA2) seems really strange to me. Does anyone have any knowledge as why that might be?

dotnotbot

Implementing something that is already part of the architecture (RDNA2) seems really strange to me. Does anyone have any knowledge as why that might be?
The only thing we know that is a bit weird on PS5 side is that it's using displayport to hdmi converter inside (nothing new, PS4 did the same). So maybe that's giving them some trouble, but otherwise I'm leaning towards the theory that they're holding VRR back until all of their TVs are ready.

Last edited:

Hawk269

It has nothing to do with RDNA2...it all has to do with the HDMI chipset Sony put in the PS5. From what we know, it is a MediaTek chipset, which is the same one in the 2021 OLED screens that still do not have VRR as well. From what we know, Sony has been working with MediaTek to figure out how to do it with the chipset they put into the PS5. But it has NOTHING to do with the RDNA2 or any other component of the PS5...it all comes down to the HDMI Chipset.

base

Banned
That's also true, not just for consoles but pretty much all of their stuff. I've always wondered what's the deal, are they cheaping out on engineers or what.
Probably. Their network department sucks aswell. It seems they didn't learned a thing after the 2011 catastrophe.

You know what is funny in all of this? Microsoft is being called an evil company but they seem to do much more to beat Sony. I've been with Sony only for FF7R and some other exclusives. Nothing more.

95% chance it launches jank just like their TV implementation. Not understanding what the issue is here, as someone who has these consoles attached to a CX I'd like for all of them to take advantage of it.

Kuranghi

95% chance it launches jank just like their TV implementation. Not understanding what the issue is here, as someone who has these consoles attached to a CX I'd like for all of them to take advantage of it.

Maybe the raised blacks/gamma issue that every VRR implement on other brands has? Possibly they've been unable to fix that with the HW thats in the current TV lineup even though its fine on the console side so they delay PS5 launch of it because it would direct PS users to buy rival brand TVs.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Maybe the raised blacks/gamma issue that every VRR implement on other brands has? Possibly they've been unable to fix that with the HW thats in the current TV lineup even though its fine on the console side so they delay PS5 launch of it because it would direct PS users to buy rival brand TVs.
Yeah even lg got that issue. It’s how oled works. It’sa but washed out when not 120 fps with vrr. 60 is greyed a bit with vrr on oled. And big fps change looks like flicker in gamma.
I almost wonder if it was better idea to get lg a1. It’s 60hz so maybe it’s calibrated to look proper at 60 hz and not only at 120

dotnotbot

Yeah even lg got that issue. It’s how oled works. It’sa but washed out when not 120 fps with vrr. 60 is greyed a bit with vrr on oled. And big fps change looks like flicker in gamma.
I almost wonder if it was better idea to get lg a1. It’s 60hz so maybe it’s calibrated to look proper at 60 hz and not only at 120

A1 has no VRR/FS/GS

Last edited:

Shmunter

If online tv discussions are anything to go by; people will be in for a bit of a shock when their iq goes to crap with VRR enabled because TV’s just don’t behave properly with varying refresh rates.

Most of the fanfare is drummed up only because PS5 doesn’t have it. Once it does, watch the conversation dry up into nothing.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
If online tv discussions are anything to go by; people will be in for a bit of a shock when their iq goes to crap with VRR enabled because TV’s just don’t behave properly with varying refresh rates.

Most of the fanfare is drummed up only because PS5 doesn’t have it. Once it does, watch the conversation dry up into nothing.
Exactly. Oleds and some hdr lcds have this issue. It’s not a problem on monitors because no hdr backlight

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

I look forward to Sony turning it on as I mainly game on an LG 27GP950 monitor and VRR seems to work great on this thing

Lognor

Banned
Sony is really struggling with implementing vrr. No Sony tvs with vrr. And ps5 doesn't have it. Is it that hard to do? Xsx had it day one. Lg has had vrr in their tvs for years. I don't get it

TrebleShot

This along with every DF video from launch saying it was ESSENTIAL funny how that dried up too.

FrankWza

Just like the talk about expandable storage did. I’ve never seen so many people that absolutely have to have 4TB drives completely disappear into a nonissue that quickly before.

Lognor

Banned
LG had it in their TV’s for years and it still has problems, see a few posts above yours.
Okay, so that's something that exists with any vrr solution. That cannot be what is holding this up with Sony. If this is the standard with vrr, Sony would have easily released vrr by now. They're struggling with more than just these common issues. It's a joke.

Hawk269

Is that the flickering I've been hearing about?

Never saw it myself since I don't have a VRR display but I'm curious to know more.
There is some black flickering, but for me I rarely every notice it. It does appear at times on a black screen in transitions, but it is really not bad at all. For me, 98% of the time it seems perfectly fine. When it does do the weird black flickering it has mainly been in transition scenes where there is nothing on the screen.

MarkMe2525

There's no going back once you have it. Even more important when PC gaming since you're tuning the game's performance yourself.
You know it's a great feature when it just works. It's so effective that I forget it's there doing it's thing. Now when it comes to PC gaming..... one day.... ONE DAY!!.. I'll have me a rig.

Just like the talk about expandable storage did. I’ve never seen so many people that absolutely have to have 4TB drives completely disappear into a nonissue that quickly before.
What? It is absolutely essential to have inexpensive off the shelf expandable storage for next gen consoles since only ps5 games can be stored on the internal memory. A 5TB 3.0 external SSD can be bought for less than 100.00$, and a 1 TB NVME SSD can be bough for less than 170.00$.

Shmunter

Is that the flickering I've been hearing about?

Never saw it myself since I don't have a VRR display but I'm curious to know more.
Reports also of gamma shifts, black levels and inverse ghosting, even local dimming being disabled. You just don’t know what you’re going to get till you try it.

Would be happy for it to not be the case as I have a VRR enabled set coming, but I’m not holding out hope. Personally with PS5 I haven’t felt it a pressing issue for the console having stable frames as the norm and not the exception.

We shall see.

MrFunSocks

Banned
their camera app on their flahship phones is supposedly pretty good, because it just mimics a Sony camera... so that software is good it seems lol
Yet it is missing basic features like being able to switch lenses while recording video lol. Typical sony.

twilo99

It has nothing to do with RDNA2...it all has to do with the HDMI chipset Sony put in the PS5. From what we know, it is a MediaTek chipset, which is the same one in the 2021 OLED screens that still do not have VRR as well. From what we know, Sony has been working with MediaTek to figure out how to do it with the chipset they put into the PS5. But it has NOTHING to do with the RDNA2 or any other component of the PS5...it all comes down to the HDMI Chipset.
I see, that makes more sense.

Isn't the HDMI chipset a component of the PS5 tho?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom