• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 Will Allow Devs To Make More Detailed Game Worlds Then Ever Before, Says Remedy.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

In an interview with the Official PlayStation Magazine UK, Lead Programmer Sean Donnelly spoke about the system’s technical abilities, pointing to the SSD drives that everyone is abuzz about. He says that not only will that allow for fast games and less load times, it could also lead to even more details that in a game like their most recent, Control, would bring things up to the next level.

“For something like Control, that could translate to an even deeper destruction system, richer, more detailed worlds, and simple quality-of-life improvements like instant reloading after dying.”

Eimran

Although I like detailed games the development time for a triple A game is increasing exponentially. The libraries tend to get smaller and smaller while the voids are filled up with more 'remasters'

NeoGiffer

giphy.gif

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
Although I like detailed games the development time for a triple A game is increasing exponentially. The libraries tend to get smaller and smaller while the voids are filled up with more 'remasters'

Of course there were a lot of Remasters at the start of this gen but come on now. This generation is filled with incredible AAA games from exclusives like Gears 5, Forza Horizon 3+4, Horizon, God of War, Spider-Man along with AAA third party games like Assassin’s Creed Origins+Odyssey and RDR2. There are many, many more AAA games both exclusive and third party.

On top of all that you have all the Switch exclusives (some of which are considered AAA by Nintendo) then indies then free to play games. There’s literally never been more games with more choice at such a low price.

PS5 and XB2 being backwards compatible and allowing for patches to make most current gen games 60fps will also be a big selling point early on.

Last edited:

JordanN

Banned
Who would have thought?!
What's funny, is if we look at the launch titles for the PS4/XBO, does the claim really hold up?

Did games really get more detailed than what we saw with Ryse? While there's still room for improvements, the leaps this generation was really small.

nD7xkVC.jpg

We can also go older than that, and I would say even last gen games like Crysis 3 wasn't really lacking on the "detail" department.

dEb3LTN.jpg

7DRhNML.png

Developers better find a new excuse soon, because these jargons are getting boring.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What's funny, is if we look at the launch titles for the PS4/XBO, does the claim really hold up?

Did games really get more detailed than what we saw with Ryse? While there's still room for improvements, the leaps this generation was really small.

nD7xkVC.jpg

We can also go older than that, and I would say even last gen games like Crysis 3 wasn't really lacking on the "detail" department.

dEb3LTN.jpg

7DRhNML.png

Developers better find a new excuse soon, because these jargons are getting boring.

Texture/geometry details, depends, lighting and shadow work, yes.

Last edited:

Shifty

More [Thing] Than Ever Before doesn't mean a lot when technological jumps are involved.

Literally everything about the next gen consoles is going to be More [Thing] Than Ever Before, it'd be weird if it wasn't.

Last edited:

God Enel

nD7xkVC.jpg

Well in the end it depends on the money they have to spend. I think that games like tlou2 will have a lot more details than other games. So I think yes, they will improve. Every game? no.

And what exactly are details? are shadow and lighting details as well?

Fbh

Consumers: Oh boy, we can't wait to buy a Ps5 to play games with the same amount of detail as those on Ps4.

SONY: Get ready to have your mind blown because our next gen console will allow for MORE detail than our current one.

Consumers:
original

Last edited:
We don’t need to keep pushing the graphical boundaries. By all means don’t make them look like shit but for once just fucking put out a good story with great gameplay. Stop churning out these beautiful worlds with shitty meaningless stories and boring/rehashed gameplay.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We don’t need to keep pushing the graphical boundaries. By all means don’t make them look like shit but for once just fucking put out a good story with great gameplay. Stop churning out these beautiful worlds with shitty meaningless stories and boring/rehashed gameplay.
419480.jpg

:messenger_winking_tongue:

Vawn

Banned

nD7xkVC.jpg

Wasn't ever third enemy in Ryse the exact same character model? That's not a huge attention to detail if you ask me.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Wasn't ever third enemy in Ryse the exact same character model? That's not a huge attention to detail if you ask me.

Ryse pales in comparison to RDR2, and that is open world. Especially in the lighting department, framerate, and resolution.

ethomaz

Banned
Very very of Remedy = PC
Old Remedy = Microsoft
Today Remedy = Anybody
Future Remedy = PlayStation

I hope they finally find success with Sony.

bigdawg69

Banned
Very very of Remedy = PC
Old Remedy = Microsoft
Today Remedy = Anybody
Future Remedy = PlayStation

I hope they finally find success with Sony.
Yes, let's get sony to lock them down. I love not having a choice where to buy/play games and 30 fps.

Vawn

Banned
Ryse pales in comparison to RDR2, and that is open world. Especially in the lighting department, framerate, and resolution.

Well, yeah, RDR2 is a much better example. I don't expect that level of detail to EVER become the norm, no matter how powerful a console gets.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well, yeah, RDR2 is a much better example. I don't expect that level of detail to EVER become the norm, no matter how powerful a console gets.

What do you mean?

I won’t be shocked if the Unity forest demo is what we get. Nobody expected some of the graphics we got out of 1.81TF either.

As game dev is becoming more and more complicated and long winded it is necessary for devs to build these kinds of upgrades into their development engines. The more they make and improve the better and easier it will become. They’re also starting to really dive into using neural nets for the really complicated and time consuming things like motion matching. As this becomes more and more integrated into the engines I honestly believe it will become faster and easier for devs to put out results like rdr2. I can’t say for sure if I think this will happen in the ps5 gen but it’s already starting to happen now. Ubisoft is the front runner I mean look at the size and complexity of their assassins creed games and how short the dev cycle is. The more they build and create the more assets they’ve got and the faster it will make subsequent development.

The more they allow ai to analyse what they’re doing and pre-bake environments that only need to be tweaked by human hands the faster things will get. Now for sure games are getting more and more complicated so it’s not exactly going to make the dev cycle shorter it just means they will be able to pack more into the same amount of time.

I would be surprised if by the ps6 gen every game hasn’t got a level of detail superior to rdr2. Maybe not that level of polish but complexity and detail yes. Even as they get coding machines that start to be able to analyse code and polish out bugs or at least identify them in code it will help improve the polish.

My point. Never EVER say never ever :p

thelastword

Banned
Yes, we do need to concentrate on graphics.......And that doesn't mean framerate should suffer with it...….Horizon Zero Dawn and Spiderman, ISS, Killzone ShadowFall. DC are all are great examples of great graphics with good framerates, especially the first two which are Open World games...…..

The graphics of UC4, GOW, GTS, LOU, TSUSHIMA are very important...…...The difference now is how other aspects of said games or games like it will improve......Not just the great graphics we expect, but also; A.I, Physics, LOD, ATD, Effects, animation, rendering/pbr/materials and of course sound...…..What's more is that for the first time devs will not have to fiddle with CPU resources rendering these bigger worlds, shifting all these physics and A.I...….The beautiful thing is, they can accomplish all of these feats in all aspects of the game makeup and work with 60fps as a base...….So at no sacrifice to framerate.

I know the sentiment though...….Every gen, devs come out and say the same thing......Yet, this gen it's much different because RDNA 1 is really fast and RDNA 2 will be much faster...…….I just posted a video with one 3900x core vs one 9900k core, (very impressive stuff), so imagine having 8-16 of those cores, but even faster...As I've been saying, PS5 will be based on 7nm+ and who knows, even Zen 4 in a PS5 might make the cut on 5nm as it would be ready internally by then...……….

Anyone who wants to call the uplift from PS3 to 4 modest, whether through graphics or gameplay, that's on you....Graphics wise I think the jump was massive in terms of IQ, effects and overall framerate...…….Gameplaywise though, everybody should be stoked for what's coming as every aspect of gameplay and especially immersion will see a massive uplift...……..all due to the CPU......Giving those devs who gave us the physics in UC with only jaguar cores, giving them a Zen 3 or 4 is going to be telling or giving PD this beast of the CPU, they are just going to blow minds...…..I think next gen will finally give us an FPS that succeeds F.E.A.R in the way it impressed us with physics and A.i all those years ago......…..This gen was a huge uplift in IQ and effects over last......Next gen, I'd like to refer to as the Immersion Generation...….Physics, Ai. Sound will be off the charts......

Yes, same ball headed guy looped over........Then they took that same ball headed guy gave him a few pounds, made him round and put some long black hair on said bald head, with a heavier weapon in hand......put a helmet on. a mohawk or ponytail, a different tattoo, loop over.....

xPikYx

Such a shame there are no more "crysis" out there, today to see something better we have to wait for these stupid new generation machines

JordanN

Banned
Such a shame there are no more "crysis" out there, today to see something better we have to wait for these stupid new generation machines
PC?

Especially when game engines like UE4 or Cryengine is free and they're always being updated, it is absolutely not true you need a new console generation for something better to exist.

Last edited:

Pimpbaa

I think we may get a bigger jump than what we had from last gen to this. I mean we got 5400rpm hard drives for both last gen and this one and really crap CPUs this gen. Some devs manage to get the most out of current console GPUs, but it seemed that most didn't considering the limitations of poor performing CPU cores and hard drives. But since we are getting Ryzen cores and SSDs next gen, most should be able to maximize use of the GPUs in next gen consoles.

Sophist

Maturing technologies such as motion capture, 3D scanning, photogrammetry or AI assisted procedural generation may speed up development time tremendously.

Why not both?

I've come to a point where I honestly don't care about better graphics. 7th gen graphics are still perfectly serviceable and still leave some room for the video gamey factor at least. In contrast I can't really apply that to most current games. The ultimate pursuit for realism and higher fidelity is just pointless to me. It also skews the priorities in game development. Most of the time, modern games with beautiful graphics fail to be backed up by good gameplay. The visual wow factor wears off and what's left is an unsatisfying, streamlined, and unmemorable experience.

I used to be way too fixated on visuals in the past and, in retrospect, I feel I shouldn't have been.

At this stage I couldn't care less about detail or graphics or resolution. As long as it looks good by today's standards and it runs well at 1080p-1440p (and no, 30FPS does not count) I'm a happy chappy. I want to see more creativity. Less open worlds (yes really...the market is oversaturated with them). Less tacked on multiplayer. Less scummy microtransactions. Sadly I think the industry is well past its prime...the golden age has long since past.

ANIMAL1975

Keep dreaming. It's Sony we're talking about here. They care about the masses and all the masses care about are LOOKS and style over substance.
Except it's not Sony we're talking about here!? It's about Remedy a third party dev, and Control _ multiplat games. Sony is mentioned because of the future hardware that will be available for devs.
But even if it was about Sony games, saying that it only cares for the masses and the looks, when we've got games like Dreams, Bloodborne, Gravity Rush, The Last Guardian (years of troubled development and never sent to die), Concrete Genie,... Hey, even Death Stranding support _ a game clearly not for the masses! _ i think that's a big misleading thing to say, even if that's what you think of its big AAA IPs.

Top Bottom