• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5 with no optical drive? Or other solutions?

How do you want your games read?

• Blu-ray Drive

Votes: 37 40.2%
  • SANTAIII SSD with no optical drive

Votes: 18 19.6%
  • Magnetic tape drives (https://futurism.com/ibm-announces-record-breaking-new-data-storage-device)

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • Some unreleased technology

Votes: 5 5.4%
  • Aliens

Votes: 25 27.2%

• Total voters

kingbean

7ce0f2258293ef3c81a0978ff3a3dfd4e109f2852b924144d893e5706a3198e1.jpg

bronk

Banned
Speaking of optical. I still use an optical cable for my surround sound system with PS4. Am I dumb hoping I can do this with PS5?

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm thinking about going all digital next gen but that means I will def buy less games day one. If I buy anything day one it'll be physical and then I'll trade it in at a later date unless it's a masterpiece.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Erm...SSD i guess? I'm conceding to digital next gen...or continuing to do so...because I ain't got time to be switching out no discs. Is the tape thing even a possibility?

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i hope Sony release a version with no optical drive like Microsoft has just done. i've not used a disc drive since i owned a PS3 in 2013 lol.

i'd rather go all digital. physical media needs to die but oh no you get people stuck in the past crying and moaning. jeez.

Boss Mog

Why do so many people think that games on disc are read from the disc? This just ins't the case anymore. Games on disc are fully installed to the hard drive on PS4.

It will be bluray, together with mandatory installs and BIG dayone patches.

You guys are still high from the Cerny interview. But remember it's the game industry.

Voting aliens, though.

Last edited:

Jagz

Physical media for games is on the way out, regardless. The general consensus is that PS6 will be all digital.

Daymos

Can't have ps4 backwards compatibility without the blu-ray drive. They aren't dumb enough to say 'digital only BC!' the fanbase would implode into a blackhole created by infinite cynical rants.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Poll is lacking the Advanced Digital Disc option, which has a faster transfer rate, can load in seconds, can download in real-time, and can be sued as temporary memory or Vram storage in real-time

ADD... he is trolling alright. Projecting too I reckon.

Mikey Jr.

I genuinely wonder what is going to be the average size for games next gen. This gen, I would say it's around 40-50 gigs for a triple A game. Obviously some are more and some are less. But I would say around there.
So maybe 80-90 gigs next gen? That might be tough to go purely digital next gen. With a disc I can atleast delete a game from my SSD and not worry having to redownload all that again.

So its hard to say right now with certainty what I want from the PS5. I would say an optical drive would be ok.

johntown

Banned
I voted for blu ray just because I want the option. Not necessarily for games but for movies. I could care less about a disk speed and loading times. Waiting a few seconds longer is not a huge concern for me.

I picked Aliens - but I would have preferred my data delivered by INTERDIMENSIONAL ALIENS - nobody believes in physical Aliens, this makes no sense ;-)

On topic. Anyone have any good sci fi movies with aliens released lately? I love them :messenger_ok:

I liked the Netflix series called Nightfliers (written by George RR Martin) it's a bit cheesy, but it's good to watch.

Last edited:

Texas Pride

Banned
I'm in no hurry to ditch physical for digital and giving corporations all the control over games. They want that no doubt more control and more $$$$$. Trading convenience for ownership is a dead end for the customer.

Shifty

Magnetic tape drives? Sign me up!

We back to the good old days of having to rewind videogames before they can be loaded.

GreatnessRD

I'm in no hurry to ditch physical for digital and giving corporations all the control over games. They want that no doubt more control and more $$$$$. Trading convenience for ownership is a dead end for the customer.
It's sad because most gamer's aren't paying this the attention it needs.

Top Bottom