• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ps5 won’t support ssd expansion at launch

longdi

Banned
Whats the point of debating for 2 pages which nvme thats not supported will work?

Disk space is a premium with games like Cod ballooning up.
Imo people invested in the PS5 are just concerned about no official word. Sony has left them hanging.
There are new Pcie4 ssd coming Q4, that about max out the standards, or close to max, at an affordable'ish prices.

mitchman

Gold Member
The port is not disabled, there's a whitelist of tested drivers that can be installed in it. Here's the current whitelist:

RyanEvans21

Have we? He said there's unlikely nothing to buy, which is not the same as the expansion port being disabled altogether.
What’s the holdup? As Cerny explained, not all M.2 SSDs are fast enough to keep up with the PS5, thin enough to fit into the SSD bay, or compatible with Sony’s I/O controller — and Sony promised to do compatibility testing late this year to make sure.

At the very least, Cerny suggested, off-the-shelf SSDs would need to deliver more than 5.5GB/sec of bandwidth over a PCIe Gen4 connection, and not have a giant heatsink so large that they won’t fit into the PS5’s drive bay.

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
Agreed they should have gone with a proprietary solution. That's totally not a more, oh shall we say, anti-consumer choice.

Not with Sony’s track record for creating busted proprietary storage standards you don’t. Y’all Fomy fanbois are so quick to forget the Vita Memory Card debacle, there’s also the litany of abandoned audio formats to consider.

This is just Sony being Sony and seeing an easy way to part idiots from their money with bullshit technobabble, but you lot go ahead and hand wave it away.

DinoD

Not with Sony’s track record for creating busted proprietary storage standards you don’t. Y’all Fomy fanbois are so quick to forget the Vita Memory Card debacle, there’s also the litany of abandoned audio formats to consider.

This is just Sony being Sony and seeing an easy way to part idiots from their money with bullshit technobabble, but you lot go ahead and hand wave it away.

Sony didn't abandon any of their audio formats. They either have run their course (MiniDisc) or weren't accepted by the mainstream market (SACD). You can still buy minidisc blanks and SACD capable Sony MP.

Regards

Tschumi

They said this in the deep dive. They won't authorise cards until they start passing their speed tests.. it follows that they won't build the software until they know what they're adapting

Didnt cerny say this in may ? He said ideally around launch or few months after launch we will start giving the list . He said so don't buy any m.2 yet

mitchman

Gold Member
What’s the holdup? As Cerny explained, not all M.2 SSDs are fast enough to keep up with the PS5, thin enough to fit into the SSD bay, or compatible with Sony’s I/O controller — and Sony promised to do compatibility testing late this year to make sure.

At the very least, Cerny suggested, off-the-shelf SSDs would need to deliver more than 5.5GB/sec of bandwidth over a PCIe Gen4 connection, and not have a giant heatsink so large that they won’t fit into the PS5’s drive bay.
He actually said 7GB/s as it has to make up for missing priority levels.

Tripolygon

Banned
i hear you so what about when i download a game from the store? aka 100gb ultimate edition of spiderman?

also these consoles including Xbox series (they will be constantly writing to record gameplay in the background etc) i know i use to fill up my xbox storage on live with uploads.
Are you downloading 100GB instantly or is it chunks of few MB/s? Your internet speed is not nearly enough to saturate a regular hard drive. Is anyone complaining about Series X SSD not being fast enough to handle console usage? And that is a dramless SSD. PCs have been using far slower SSDs for decades, mine has a slow 540MB/s SSD I've had for 7 years and it is still going strong. You're not talking about anything that wasn't taken into consideration when designing these consoles.

jigglet

Banned

and what’s your point? That doesn’t answer my question at all.

Last edited:

John Wick

Weird the Manufacturer is over priced on there own item.

looks like one I listed is a different drive with some other config. Gonna be crazy trying to find the right stuff for PS5 for dam sure.
Weird? How? You can usually always find electronics cheaper from non manufacturer sites. They stick to MSRP prices whereas 3rd party sellers etc will offer discounts

TriSuit666

Banned
Sony didn't abandon any of their audio formats. They either have run their course (MiniDisc) or weren't accepted by the mainstream market (SACD). You can still buy minidisc blanks and SACD capable Sony MP.

Regards

The DAT Machine I have in my office at work would disagree with you. I also own Minidisc players and recorders and several hundred cassettes, so yeah. please. But thanks for pointing me in the direction of r/minidisc.

But can I still buy Betamax cassettes? What about Memory Stick Duo's? What about new UMD's? How long before Bluray becomes a dead format on current trends? (I could go on here, but Sony's obssession with propriatory formats is legion and could fill several fucking books).

Is 'running their course' the new 'planned obsolence?'

if they don’t have the option to be able to move ps5 games between external to internal on launch as you need them that’s a pretty big fucking fail......I know there are gonna be an army of defenders saying otherwise but this shit should of been a priority considering you base your hardware around a ssd drive and people are going to be upgrading their last gen games as well as the new ones

ToadMan

Using off-the-shelf SSD expansion will be better in the long run, but I can see why Microsoft went with a custom one — at least it’s available at launch. Trade offs in an imperfect world.

Except Xsex throughput is slow enough to use a current Mid spec OTS SSD.

It’s Sony that are waiting for OTS speeds to catch up ...

DinoD

The DAT Machine I have in my office at work would disagree with you. I also own Minidisc players and recorders and several hundred cassettes, so yeah. please. But thanks for pointing me in the direction of r/minidisc.

But can I still buy Betamax cassettes? What about Memory Stick Duo's? What about new UMD's? How long before Bluray becomes a dead format on current trends? (I could go on here, but Sony's obssession with propriatory formats is legion and could fill several fucking books).

Is 'running their course' the new 'planned obsolence?'

You misread/misunderstood my post, and my comment was only based on your "Sony music formats" statement.
I will try again. Some formats just become tech. obsolete and some shouldn't have been brought to market. Betamax was the first home video format.
Minidisc was an attempt to replace compact cassette and had both technological and economic merits to exist at that time. Sony also invented 3.5" floppy disk and co-invented CD.
Do you use them today? Most likely not, but I bet your ass that you used it back in 80's,90's.
DAT was never meant to be used as the consumer format for music.
UMD, M-Stick Duo, VIta memory cards etc. I agree with you. These were clear cases where Sony was trying to force their own format over already established standards, and the fact of how long they persisted with them.

Regards

Last edited:

TriSuit666

Banned
You misread/misunderstood my post, and my comment was only based on your "Sony music formats" statement.
I will try again. Some formats just become tech. obsolete and some shouldn't have been brought to market. Betamax was the first home video format.
Minidisc was an attempt to replace compact cassette and had both technological and economic merits to exist at that time. Sony also invented 3.5" floppy disk and co-invented CD.
Do you use them today? Most likely not, but I bet your ass that you used it back in 80's,90's.
DAT was never meant to be used as the consumer format for music.
UMD, M-Stick Duo, VIta memory cards etc. I agree with you. These were clear cases where Sony was trying to force their own format over already established standards, and the fact of how long they persisted with them.

Regards

You'll still find DAT and Minidiscs being used in some community radio stations, I absolutely bet on it, minidisc more even though it's a niche format nowadays.

But otherwise, I think we're in broad agreement.

ToadMan

I mean, we can agree that XSS has a low amount of storage right? And some people like me, kind of cleaning up backlog and chooses from the installed games, so I guess I am weird in a way, that I would like to have something like 4TB SSD expansion right now for my XSX and same way for the PS5, when I am going to pick it up (not on launch), people are weird sometimes you know : )

Those backlog games will run from a HDD...

DonJorginho

Banned
Not a big problem, the PS5 can store PS5 games and play PS4 games from an external HDD.

Just buy a big 4-6 TB and you're set until the prices of compatible drives go down.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
Have you seen the enclosures it was in? That shit was like a ziploc bag.

Take your FUD somewhere else brother.
Holy shit you are right, the poor console is stored in a sauna lol.

And no FUD man, only concern. That shit never happened to my PS4.

DonJorginho

Banned
Holy shit you are right, the poor console is stored in a sauna lol.

And no FUD man, only concern. That shit never happened to my PS4.
I think ventilation is definitely key to this console, that is why I will have mine in as wide of a space as possible.

And no problem brother, the OG PS4 was a bitch for overheating!

Bravedwarf

Neo Member
Are you downloading 100GB instantly or is it chunks of few MB/s? Your internet speed is not nearly enough to saturate a regular hard drive. Is anyone complaining about Series X SSD not being fast enough to handle console usage? And that is a dramless SSD. PCs have been using far slower SSDs for decades, mine has a slow 540MB/s SSD I've had for 7 years and it is still going strong. You're not talking about anything that wasn't taken into consideration when designing these consoles.
No but Xbox is a sustained 2.5gbps constant drive where as ps5 is 5gbps constant. Dunno the ars technica review stated once the drive cache is filled it chug so maybe that’s why ?
Otherwise why wouldn’t Sony announce this drive and the Corsair one? You know what I mean. What’s the hold up.

Yes they have, multiple reviewers with a PS5 have fully confirmed it now brother, rejoice!

Greg Miller
Push Square
The Verge

All have units and have confirmed this.
Sorry i have not seen this anywhere

I am aware
You can Store ps4 games and play from external
You can play ps5 games from internal drive but you cant play from external drives

But the part i want to know is...can you store ps5 games on an external and move them over as you need them to run off internal

Also what happens to the cross gen games that get ps5 upgrades..do they need to move over
can you use your ds4 with these titles once they are upgraded?

Last edited:

DonJorginho

Banned
Sorry i have not seen this anywhere

I am aware
You can Store ps4 games and play from external
You can play ps5 games from internal drive but you cant play from external drives

But the part i want to know is...can you store ps5 games on an external and move them over as you need them to run off internal

Also what happens to the cross gen games that get ps5 upgrades..do they need to move over
can you use your ds4 with these titles once they are upgraded?

Statement here from Push Square

It's worth mentioning that although you won't be able to fit an additional SSD in your PS5 at launch, you will be able to make use of external hard drives. While PS5 games can only be stored on hard drives (they can't actually be played), you can use them for all of your PS4 needs — but doing so means that the PS4 games won't fully benefit from the PS5 hardware.

To answer your questions, you can transfer PS5 games to and from the internal SSD to the external HDD at anytime to make space and to swap games to and from the system.

From what we know it seems you can play PS4 games off the HDD and get the upgraded framerates and loading etc, but games that get their own next gen patch like Cyberpunk will need to be transferred to the internal SSD.

If you are playing a PS4 backwards compat upgrade it should work with a DS4, however next gen patches like Cyberpunk will require the Dualsense.

That is my guess given all the info we have!

Statement here from Push Square

To answer your questions, you can transfer PS5 games to and from the internal SSD to the external HDD at anytime to make space and to swap games to and from the system.

From what we know it seems you can play PS4 games off the HDD and get the upgraded framerates and loading etc, but games that get their own next gen patch like Cyberpunk will need to be transferred to the internal SSD.

If you are playing a PS4 backwards compat upgrade it should work with a DS4, however next gen patches like Cyberpunk will require the Dualsense.

That is my guess given all the info we have!
Cheers....thank god for that

Imtjnotu

05onfire1_xp-superJumbo-v2.jpg

Exhibit A v

No worries your government job will cover it.
Doesn't need to be covered if it's already paid for.

Top Bottom