• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5's DualSense has a RealTek audio chip, and Haptic Feedback uses sound effects!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If Playstation is, was, able to create software that made implementing these features easily, cause every developer is already implementing vibrations/haptic feedback, it could make this a feature that is heavily utilized/used.

I understand if this is a feature that you "don't want" or would "turn off" but like how do you know? You haven't even tried yet. If you're an MLG level gamer and don't need this feedback for your FPS league games, then yea sure I get that... but I guess haters are gonna hate. This is literally what killed Kinect. I was a PS3 guy and I was super jelly of the Kinect features, I personally thought they were cool. They were trying new things and I'll never be mad at anyone trying new things or those who try to innovate.

Anyway, you should be able to turn it off. I can't understand that personally even with traditional rumble as they have some immersion trait. Ironically, I did admire Kinect and was pretty much considering Xbox One to just try it out, but it didn't last long enough. VR though is a much bigger experience that I didn't jump into yet.

I’m curious if devs will implement this for their pc version of games.

That'll be interesting. I think it's pretty easy to implement so you can see many 3rd party controllers supporting it eventually, might even make DS a favorite controller on PC especially for gamers who have PC+PS5.

I can see the sound implementation being reasonable. A gentle whisk vs a thud vs ding should easily translate to haptics.

Yup, I can see bass hitting harder, and different sound characteristics have different feelings accordingly! Very intruiged and can't wait to try Astro's Playroom!

I just remember them from being the chip inside of a wifi adapter I had years ago & the audio chip in one of my old laptops & it might have been in my old capture card.

Yeah, my 2019 Asus motherboard has it as well. Actually every desktop/laptop since 1996 have it. Seems like a cheap, decent sound chip. Nothing crazy, but gets the job done nicely.

Looking forward to trying this. I hope the settings are granular enough to let us keep the 'rumble' enabled while disabling the 'kick-back' in the triggers.

I think most if not all games should give you the option to do so, or else many gamers who don't like these features with modify the controller and pull them off completely. I can see them being very immersive personally.

TBiddy

I think most if not all games should give you the option to do so, or else many gamers who don't like these features with modify the controller and pull them off completely. I can see them being very immersive personally.

Hopefully it'll be a game-by-game choice. It'll do wonders in GT7, but in NBA2k21 (I think it was) where the triggers will get harder to squeeze when stamina is low - that is going to be a major pain in the ass. That said, it's still early in the gen, and the devs also need to learn how to handle this, and where it makes sense.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I would give this Thread a golden crown but it’s already there. Less than 10 days and we will feel the real nextgen with the new controller and the PS5 games.

good job Bo and WB

I got a notification that my gold has ended so just gifted myself here. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Thanks!

I heard some ds5 microphone tests on reeeee and the quality was incredible for a controller speaker.

Yup, some tests are actually very interesting. Here is another one: (timestamped)

Last edited:

GymWolf

The 3d headphones are only 100 euros but i want to know if there is a giant difference in 3d sound with my platinum headset before even thinking of buying them.

It's a case of night and day difference or something subtle that only audiophiles can notice?!

Those latest videos really got me interested.
I think this, along with games like Astro's Playroom and that Sackboy game might bring me back to Playstation.
Will try out this thing at least.

I want my PS3 era Sony back.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Hopefully it'll be a game-by-game choice. It'll do wonders in GT7, but in NBA2k21 (I think it was) where the triggers will get harder to squeeze when stamina is low - that is going to be a major pain in the ass. That said, it's still early in the gen, and the devs also need to learn how to handle this, and where it makes sense.

Yup, when playing competitively it's better to turn off that adaptive trigger at least if it's annoying. Currently, you can totally turn off rumble on DS4 via main PS4 settings:

maxresdefault.jpg

I think there should be something similar for DS.

Hope this gets much use in games.

I really hope so! I really love rumbles, which are outdated now, so would enjoy the upgrade! If this succeeds, I can see an xbox controller revision down the line, more as well on PC, as it's easier than traditional rumble motors and more accurate.

1# SSD
2# new controller+features
3# 3D audio

my top 3 expectations for next gen, and PS5 seems to hit all of those like Tzar bomb hit the russian wilderness, obliterating any living things around it :messenger_savoring:

Good that Sony believes in Japanese engineering and progression of tech, which leads into better and better experiences.

I bet that my top 3 features will be the biggest next gen features that people are excited about, and pixel counters will get sad and find a new job as hamburger sales persons, counting seeds on the buns.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The 3d headphones are only 100 euros but i want to know if there is a giant difference in 3d sound with my platinum headset before even thinking of buying them.

It's a case of night and day difference or something subtle that only audiophiles can notice?!

You know what makes me sad? I thought those Pulse 3D are successors of the rumble headsets on PS3! Never tried those but many have great reviews about them.

I really hope they bring back rumble/haptic feedback to Pulse 3D! But I think Platinum and most other headset should work perfectly with PS5 3D audio:

On the PS5, you’ll be able to experience 3D Audio with the headphones that many of you already own, either through USB connection to the console, or by plugging your headphones into the DualSense wireless controller’s 3.5mm headset jack.

Better wait for the reviews and decide ;)

Those latest videos really got me interested.
I think this, along with games like Astro's Playroom and that Sackboy game might bring me back to Playstation.
Will try out this thing at least.

I want my PS3 era Sony back.

I think PS5 gonna be a much better generation compared to both PS3/4 IMHO! We're too close to the release, watch your trusted reviewers and see if you're intrigued enough to grab your PS5, which should came in a very late date now due to extreme demands.

I think PS5 gonna be a much better generation compared to both PS3/4 IMHO! We're too close to the release, watch your trusted reviewers and see if you're intrigued enough to grab your PS5, which should came in a very late date now due to extreme demands.
Haha, no problem for me.
I am in no hurry to get a new console, and will wait for reviews and especially certain types of games to show up.

Rea

Yay! Great post, Bo my man, i miss ya, :lollipop_raising_hand:

Actually voice coil actuators in DS is basically a speaker without diaphragm, so it will vibrate very accurately and easy to develop, by sending sound waves for precise feedback.

GymWolf

You know what makes me sad? I thought those Pulse 3D are successors of the rumble headsets on PS3! Never tried those but many have great reviews about them.

I really hope they bring back rumble/haptic feedback to Pulse 3D! But I think Platinum and most other headset should work perfectly with PS5 3D audio:

On the PS5, you’ll be able to experience 3D Audio with the headphones that many of you already own, either through USB connection to the console, or by plugging your headphones into the DualSense wireless controller’s 3.5mm headset jack.

Better wait for the reviews and decide ;)

It's not a matter of working, it's a matter of how much i loss with this 3d audio thing if i don't use the dedicated headset?! Is it 10%? 80%?

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A lot of features and also it appears to have a solid build quality, must be pretty expensive to produce compared to DS4.

That indeed! Which makes me think that they're selling DS4 with some good profit now.

Yay! Great post, Bo my man, i miss ya, :lollipop_raising_hand:

Actually voice coil actuators in DS is basically a speaker without diaphragm, so it will vibrate very accurately and easy to develop, by sending sound waves for precise feedback.

Interesting! Thanks for the input! And I'm on vacations until 13th of this month, "forced" vacation. :messenger_fearful: I miss Sony fanboys safe place (aka speculation thread).:lollipop_crying:

• Strength
Reactions: Rea

GymWolf

Can't tell, but I can guess it won't be that far off, maybe 10-20% max.
Really?? So what is the incentive to buy the 3d headset if people already have the platinum??

I thought there was some special hardware inside that makes this 3d engine on ps5 really shine...

Now i understand why they only cost 100 euros...

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Really?? So what is the incentive to buy the 3d headset if people already have the platinum??

I thought there was some special hardware inside that makes this 3d engine on ps5 really shine...

Nothin special, actually. If it's using the tempest 3D audio, it'll only need basic 2.0 channel to provide 3D audio. When it's not supported, it'll use 7.1 channel to stimulate old fashion 3D audio. The promise of 3D audio of the tempest:

Timestamped

tempest-audio.jpg

Beardsalt

Awesome!

I keep thinking about how Arkay Studios are gonna use the DualSense in Death Loop with the gun jamming and fixing. That’s gonna be nuts and basically a; “This is the difference between your version of the game and mines!” type momen!

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Interesting, so it's using directly sound for haptics? That way it means, it can get easily used in all games....

Nice find Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem

TonyK

I'm sure I'm not the only one that disables sound coming from gamepad. I never liked that feature. It feels cheap and distracting, or useless if I play at night (as it's usual) with headphones.

vkbest

I'm sure I'm not the only one that disables sound coming from gamepad. I never liked that feature. It feels cheap and distracting, or useless if I play at night (as it's usual) with headphones.

I think the topic is not about the dual sense speaker, and more about developers can to programming haptic feedback with a simple audio

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Awesome!

I keep thinking about how Arkay Studios are gonna use the DualSense in Death Loop with the gun jamming and fixing. That’s gonna be nuts and basically a; “This is the difference between your version of the game and mines!” type momen!

Gonna be crazy indeed!

Interesting, so it's using directly sound for haptics? That way it means, it can get easily used in all games....

Nice find Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem

Thanks mate! Yup, uses sound as Sony officially stated in that PDF file. Also the video from D Dalto11 proves it on PC, which is impressive!

Good thing it works like HD Rumble on Joycons. It needs to become standard. Good stuff.

I hope it becomes the standard! Rumbles lived enough so far.

I'll be disabling all of this shit. Sorry, not sorry.

e9d2baecccb6d98e946c3518c7cb200514450f9ar1-354-200_00.gif

It's not about the speaker actually, I turn off the speaker on the DS4 as well, will do the same with DS. The Haptic Feedback uses sound effects to stimulate accurate vibrations.

I think the topic is not about the dual sense speaker, and more about developers can to programming haptic feedback with a simple audio

This👆

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Interesting by Tim Warren:

When I first picked up the PlayStation 5’s new DualSense controller I was totally blown away by the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. The PS5 ships with Astro’s Playroom, which is the perfect showcase for this controller and everything it’s capable of. Sony has added haptic feedback to its new PS5 controller that makes you feel the environment in Astro’s Playroom, with adaptive triggers that provide tension when you’re drawing a bow or pulling on a cord.

While it’s easy to dismiss it as just another fancy vibration feature, the new DualSense controller goes beyond what I’ve ever experienced on a Nintendo Switch, Xbox controller, or even the great haptic feedback you’ll find on modern smartphones. The key addition are these new adaptive triggers, that really change the way games feel.

Last edited:
I hate immersion and will switch everything off immediately but at least Sony is doing something next gen beyond "put a better chip in it".

mejin

We countdown now: 9 days.

According to a test by the youtuber D Dalto11 , he tried the DualSense Haptic Feedback on PC using audio/sound effects! And his feedback seems inline with what other youtubers describe the feel of different textures/materials in Astro's Playroom:

When sent him this photo, it was actually posted by him on Resetera originally, and that's his DS that he tore down! You can see the RealTek audio chip there:

uk4Xz7il.jpg

In case you're not familiar, this is the logo:

7d1dd633013518fd3f1536c099979fe2.png

Other youtubers' feedback:

This should mean that Haptic Feedback is extremely easy to optimize/implement, so most developers will actually implement it:

Developers looking for an easy way to implement haptic feedback into their PlayStation 5 games will be able to utilise a new technology that uses the sound effects from games to generate DualSense rumble. As part of a technology-themed booklet, the platform holder explained that it aims to “reduce the burden” for some teams by providing simple solutions that utilise its hardware.

“We have created a haptic vibration waveform design environment that anyone can use easily,” the manufacturer said. “In this way, we have not only developed a tool that allows game creators to design an impactful, natural, and comfortable vibration waveform in fewer steps, but also created a method of almost automatically generating vibration patterns from a game’s sound effects.”

In theory, this means that loud sounds such as explosions would provide heavy feedback, while softer sounds like rippling water would be much gentler. Obviously, developers who design custom waveforms will have much more success with the technology, but this sounds like a nice easy way for smaller teams to get started.

Official reference from Sony itself, page 26:

Along with that, the RealTek audio chip could as well provide high-quality tempest 3D audio support through the 3.5 jack:

And let's not forget that the DualSense has a very good microphone and a speaker!

(mic test)

So, what do you guys think?

Disclaimer: I gifted my post (Gold).

tenor.gif

Last edited:
Interesting by Tim Warren:

When I first picked up the PlayStation 5’s new DualSense controller I was totally blown away by the haptic feedback and adaptive triggers. The PS5 ships with Astro’s Playroom, which is the perfect showcase for this controller and everything it’s capable of. Sony has added haptic feedback to its new PS5 controller that makes you feel the environment in Astro’s Playroom, with adaptive triggers that provide tension when you’re drawing a bow or pulling on a cord.

While it’s easy to dismiss it as just another fancy vibration feature, the new DualSense controller goes beyond what I’ve ever experienced on a Nintendo Switch, Xbox controller, or even the great haptic feedback you’ll find on modern smartphones. The key addition are these new adaptive triggers, that really change the way games feel.

Incredible value.

FrankWza

we won’t know until a 3D pulse teardown and PS5 setup. The 3D pulse work on PS4, which recently had a big update,but not on PS3. Do the platinums work on PS3?

Rea

Interesting! Thanks for the input! And I'm on vacations until 13th of this month, "forced" vacation. :messenger_fearful: I miss Sony fanboys safe place (aka speculation thread).:lollipop_crying:
These few days, there's been fire around variable clocks in that thread, :goog_rofl: and I'm one of the fire fighter to extinguish PS5 variable clock FUD. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
GT7 gonna be crazy from a visual, audio, sensational perspective!

It won't generate the sound itself, but it should assist the sound quality produced when transported via Bluetooth to the DualSense. Would it use Sony's LDAC codec to make up to 990kbps quality? Hope so, but not sure it would.

I hope 3rd party wheels incorporate this tech in their licensing.

Kuranghi

Well you make me save 100 euros.

Maybe i'm gonna preorder morales instead...

I believe they said it will work with most "good quality" headphones and I'm sure their own current best gaming headphones (platnium is this right?) are classed as good quality. Its to do with frequency response I think. They say in that Sony booklet Bo posted that one of the top recommended headphones for 3D audio are their 1000XM3 headphones, which are €270 just now on amazon.

FrankWza

That indeed! Which makes me think that they're selling DS4 with some good profit now.

not worth it. Stick around so you can experience the launch with everyone and have fun. Bottom line is, you’re going to be happy with your choice no matter what is revealed from here until launch. .
I don't know, never tried.

Give it a try if you can. I think the platinum, if all things are equal, is more premium in build to the 3D pulse. They fold as well, right?

GymWolf

not worth it. Stick around so you can experience the launch with everyone and have fun. Bottom line is, you’re going to be happy with your choice no matter what is revealed from here until launch. .

Give it a try if you can. I think the platinum, if all things are equal, is more premium in build to the 3D pulse. They fold as well, right?
Yeah they fold.

ElCasual

What are the chances for the PS4 games get a patch to use the Dualsense?
In Death Stranding will be great to feel the diferent surfaces of the ground and the weight of the cargo with the adaptitive trigers.

devilNprada

I am a bit surprised the pulse headsets sold out. I really thought I would have been able to pick one up in store when I pick up the console.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I am a bit surprised the pulse headsets sold out. I really thought I would have been able to pick one up in store when I pick up the console.

Tell me about it, I was going to pre order but then decided to come on gaf and ask stuff about it. Was too late by the end of it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom