• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5's SSD in action is a game changer

The ps5 with its ssd and io tech shouldn't take longer than 2 seconds to load whe the full ram is used. Some loads then include animation times also to smooth it out and even animating through load screens.

Xbox on the other hand we've seen the varying times in dirt, smaller times for that arena with 2d crowd, obviously not a lot to load.

But on the big tracks we saw 15 seconds.

If ps5 is indeed 2 seconds which it really should be there or there abouts, that's a huge multiple lead. 7.5 times faster. It may not be that much overall but even 2x is huge.

This should be worrying for xbox as its not just about loading. Much less needs loading into ram to only be potentially used on ps5 meaning more for whats on screen.

If that kind of margin was the difference we should see a HUGE advantage for streaming on ps5 where things running the same just won't be possible on the xbox.

See UE5 again, that flying section, if a section like that maxes the io on ps5 the xbox just wouldn't be able to run it without huge compromises.

People are sleeping on ssd AND the io. It's the io that's more of a game changer eliminating those bottlenecks with hardware the xbox just doesn't have.

Subscribed

sendit

Dirt isn't AAA is what I'm getting at. Nor is Scorn or Gunk... Yeh they all look way better than any indies this gen. I think you are doing some mental gymnastics when I have provided facts. And I have already said Sony are cutting down load times on ps4... It's optimization not really the SSD. Have you play indivisible? The load times are non existent... Have you played runner 3? All its does is load. It's the devs time and budget that allows the quick loads. Series X is just brute power loading these games. It's impressive! And so is DMC on ps5. The SSD speed won't matter much is what I'm saying. It's one of the only real marketing points that have. Cos clearly none of them were ready and covid hit harder then they want to admit.. Not even cyberpunk is ready... And before you say blue point. Go look at sotc on ps4 pro... Game looks ridiculously good cos bluepoint is just that good.

Good dev vs bad dev. Regardless, software optimization cannot break physical barriers.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
20 seconds on PS4 down to 0 seconds on PS5

As low as 2.1 seconds between worlds on Ratchet on early builds

2 Seconds to load into a game on NBA 2K21

Superiority in action.

71jy42CXo-L._AC_UY580_.jpg

WildBoy

Because its all about loading, another huge advantage is in the active ram and streaming speed which will allow for next gen experiences only possible on PS5.

Only on ps5 or only on next gen? Don't be silly. The difference in these systems at the moment is negligible. Breath of the Wild still best game of the gen and didn't need any of this stuff to be that.

J_Gamer.exe

Only on ps5 or only on next gen? Don't be silly. The difference in these systems at the moment is negligible. Breath of the Wild still best game of the gen and didn't need any of this stuff to be that.

Ps5 is in a league of its own in in so yeah it will push this the hardest, if games are designed for that crazy in throughput the only way to make it run on something slower is to downgrade.

When I saw that Demon's Souls transition with basically no loading at all, I was blown away.

This is some good shit that Sony did here.

kevm3

If I can skip past most of those annoying splash screens and be in the game with cart like speed, I will be in gaming heaven.

because for 50 threads straight people have been saying that "it's just loading screens", "Pc's already have SSD" and "5 seconds less loading time doesn't matter".
Anyone who actually play on PC would tell you that SSD is a gamechanger. As per usual, console-only gamers are not reliable when it comes to understanding tech.

Top Bottom