• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS5's SSD is "far ahead" of those found in high-end PCs, according to Epic Games CEO Tim Sweeney

psorcerer

Banned
Also, when you can buy a system with so much more memory, speed and power, the consoles customizations can’t overcome the vast superiority in raw specs.

That's a fallacy.
You cannot decrease latency without very specific hardware changes. I.e. there is no way to brute-force it.
Any hardware that decreases latency cannot be beaten by raw power, unless there is a similar change.
Ergo not all changes can be brute-forced.

iHaunter

Isn’t this what we have known since forever? Sony is trading other specs for an ahead of the curve SSD? PC SSDs will eventually catch up on that department, and that doesn’t mean they are copying the PS5. These things just always get faster.

You can't just catch up the SSD itself. It's PCIE 4. You will need a PCIE 4 Mobo as well otherwise you'll be throttled.

CuNi

That's a fallacy.
You cannot decrease latency without very specific hardware changes. I.e. there is no way to brute-force it.
Any hardware that decreases latency cannot be beaten by raw power, unless there is a similar change.
Ergo not all changes can be brute-forced.

But you can brute force SSD bandwidth. You'd only need a cache that is big enough to hold the data so you don't need to stream it.

And yes, I know that with higher bandwidth comes the need for a bigger cache etc. I just want to point out that you indeed can conpansate nearly all changes, at least all that are in the consoles.

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Tim Sweeney has been replying to a lot of folks regarding UE5 and the PS5. Imagine thinking you know more than him because you may have built a PC.

This is where Linus seemed to willfully misunderstand-

The peak speed isn't the only or even main point of the PS5 SSD, the IO complex was built around removing the things that make games gain less than they should from them - you may get 10x faster than a HDD, but a game only loads twice as fast, because of DMAs, check-ins, definitely decompression and other things putting a load on the CPU and limiting speeds. The IO complex is meant to remove all of these as bottlenecks. Hence "far ahead" rather than "higher peak speed". It's funny because Linus does eventually stumble into the point of this being CPU bound after thrashing Sweeney for his statement.

Is all this a productive avenue? We'll all find out together through the course of next gen, but I'm banking on Sweeney not talking out of his ass.

My theory is that, without optimization, ps4 games won't load in 1 second on the ps5.

I think this is why Cerny said over a hundred ps4 games are tested to be BC. He probably meant they won't be BC only - they will be optimized for the ps5's standards.

And month by month they will be adding more optimized ps4 games. Because they probably don't want a state of decay 2 situation. They don't want a ps4 game to run five times faster on the ps5. They want it to load instantly. Every single one of them, eventually.

But I think they will optimize every single one, except for the incredibly simple ones like Not a Hero or Downwell, which could insta-load on the ps4 on the get-go.

My theory is that, without optimization, ps4 games won't load in 1 second on the ps5.

I think this is why Cerny said over a hundred ps4 games are tested to be BC. He probably meant they won't be BC only - they will be optimized for the ps5's standards.

And month by month they will be adding more optimized ps4 games. Because they probably don't want a state of decay 2 situation. They don't want a ps4 game to run five times faster on the ps5. They want it to load instantly. Every single one of them, eventually.

But I think they will optimize every single one, except for the incredibly simple ones like Not a Hero or Downwell, which could insta-load on the ps4 on the get-go.

Maybe. The PS4 has a zlib hardware decompressor, whereas the Xbox One might not, and so would probably instead rely upon the CPU. That might explain the long loading time for SoD2, something that could perhaps be easily addressed. For those PS4 games using Kraken, optimizing for the PS5’s decompressor might make sense.

ToadMan

Again...generally it would be better. Having a better/more stable frame rate, higher Rez, higher particles etc.

A .01 second fatser load doesn't eclipse a higher Rez, frame rate and effects.

I'm not sure what you are fishing for? Do you want exact resolutions and frame rates? That's silly.

A higher frame rate and more stable is higher and more stable.

A higher rez is higher.

More/better particles are better.

You said you wanted an avatar bet. I’m asking what in your mind constitutes “better” and you’ve said 1 frame would be enough.

I countered and said would 0.1s loading time be enough for you and you said no.

So, if you want an avatar bet, show some confidence in your system and make a practically measurable suggestion of how much that extra 2 teraflops will mean.

We need
1) timescale
2) multiplats - what type?
3) your estimate of how much better the Xsex will be than PS5 and how that should be measured.

So far, I can say that the Xsex won’t offer any practical improvement for AAA multi plats. By “practical” I mean the resolution will be the same, while there may be (small) variations in FPS they practically won’t be noticeable to me in my environment.

In exchange PS5 will have it’s own benefits over xsex - notably sound.

And I expect that to be the case through the entire generation for those specific platforms.

Last edited:

FranXico

I saw it, I watch all his videos....

He hasn't found out it was a video running on a laptop yet! hahaha
That's todays video, I guess.
Well, part of the confusion comes from the Q&A of the presentation. The dev mentioned those specs and performance, but it had nothing to do with that laptop LOL.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned
Well, part of the confusion comes from the Q&A of the presentation. The dev mentioned those specs and performance, but it had nothing to do with that laptop LOL.
My understanding was, he was asked afterwards what the specs for the laptop were...he gave them and the interviewer thought that was what could run the demo. That's what was relayed to me anyway!

It's amazing how stupid some people can be. Just because they were showing a video of the PS5 demo on stream does not mean that the engineer was "confused" and referring to the video... lmao

Not even Tim believes that shit. And then the video was taken down REAL quick after Tim found out about it :messenger_tears_of_joy:

ToadMan

If the PS5s advantages don't make development easier for 3rd party multiplatform developers is it really an advantage? Do you believe that faster SSD speeds are more important than faster RAM, CPU, and more robust GPU? It would make more sense for 3rd parties to make games with standard HDD and SSDs in mind and then port the titles to PS5.

The Storage solution is as important as the GPU/CPU/RAM I’d say. Certainly now with much more powerful hardware.

Let’s do a trip down memory lane. PS3 and X360 were the first console gen to include a HDD in every unit. They did that because they needed faster access times than disk and the cost of ram was too high to put massive amounts of it in the console.

Even back then, the HDD transfer times hampered development and required studios to design around its limitations. There were all kinds of tricks going on to get data off the disk and into ram with as much compression as possible and when those solutions ran out of headroom, the game was redesigned to avoid them (or a sub performing mess was delivered!).

Fast forward to this coming gen. The Xsex is about 40 to 50 times more powerful in a straight flop comparison to the X360. It would take 40 to 50 X360s to produce the equivalent flop output of an Xsex.

HDD read rates are about 100mb/s. Let’s be generous to Xsex and use it’s stated 4.8gb/s compressed Transfer speed. That makes it about 48 times as fast as an x360 HDD.

The 360 was already hampered by its HDD access speeds. Xsex is 50 times more powerful and has 50 Times faster access.

Whether that means the Xsex will be likewise hampered by its storage like the 360? - no idea yet.

But one cannot simply say increase gpu/cpu performance and not care about storage. All of the elements have to receive a bump and be balanced - the storage has been ignored for 2 generations and now it’s getting the focus it needs to allow the gpu/cpus to perform.

Last edited:

FranXico

It's amazing how stupid some people can be. Just because they were showing a video of the PS5 demo on stream does not mean that the engineer was "confused" and referring to the video... lmao

Not even Tim believes that shit. And then the video was taken down REAL quick after Tim found out about it :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Nobody said the engineer was confused. The people looking at the leaked video and poor translations are the ones confused.

And that presentation was private and NDA protected, of course it had to be taken down.

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
How is it only mitigating the bottleneck when there's literally no bottleneck? Going from need 5 zen 2 cores to using only 10% of 1 zen 2 cores seems like more than mitigating to me. More like eliminating. Now for PC, while they don't have HW decompressor, Direct Storage still gives them a huge boost because it allows developers to access the low levels of the nvme controller. It eliminates mostly the issues that Tim mentioned.
It still does not magically introduce cache scrubbers and DMA directly into video memory, which is integral to the PS5 solution.

psorcerer

Banned
But you can brute force SSD bandwidth. You'd only need a cache that is big enough to hold the data so you don't need to stream it.

And yes, I know that with higher bandwidth comes the need for a bigger cache etc. I just want to point out that you indeed can conpansate nearly all changes, at least all that are in the consoles.

Both console SSDs have great bandwidth.
But PS5 one also has great latency (if they implemented all the things they have in the patent).
Sony was clearly on a quest to reduce the time, as much as possible, from the moment that the game decides it needs a chunk from flash to the moment it is available in the GPU cache.
In the patent we can see a lot of hw and firmware changes to achieve the lowest latency possible.

Last edited:
My understanding was, he was asked afterwards what the specs for the laptop were...he gave them and the interviewer thought that was what could run the demo. That's what was relayed to me anyway!
There are people who claim he actually said it runs at 40fps in the editor on his laptop.

The question is is that true? And if true at what settings? Some say 1440p others say 1080p.

In any case the fact that they had to do careful data optimization layout on the ssd for the flight area suggests that even the laptop would have struggled otherwise even with its likely state of the art nvme. Such optimizations are impossible on open world, so at least that laptop with its current software seems like it would struggle with open worlds at this level of detail at least until further optimizations are made.

yurinka

They mentioned that aim to have most PS4 supported by BC, 4000+ out of the 4000+ available games, Cerny just mentioned that recently before his talk they tested the top 100 most played ones, which doesn't mean they were the only ones tested until now or that they were the only ones available at launch. These games need to be tested manually one by one, because like in any emulator or BC some of them may experience issues. so in this case Sony would suggest the devs of the games (I assume in the cases the studio is still running and has time and budget available for this).

They didn't provide enough details, but I assume these issues may range from frezzes and crashes to loading issues and visual glitches. That may appear in BC boost mode (if exist and available like in PS4 Pro, these would be sub 1s loadings) base BC PS4 speed mode (same loading speed than in PS4).

If the game is coded properly to have scalable loading times (the multi games are more likely to be ready for this), raw PS4 games would load in less than 1 second if there is some sort of boost mode. I assume it will be the case of most games. Then maybe a few hundred games may experience issues with this, or may need other types of fixes to work properly in the PS5 BC. But only the publisher/dev of the game can change them, and maybe this studio or publisher shut down the company in the past, or are too busy working with something else, or they decide that don't want to spend a budget in a game that no longer will generate revenue for them because almost nobody uses BC or buy previous gen games.

There are people who claim he actually said it runs at 40fps in the editor on his laptop.

The question is is that true? And if true at what settings? Some say 1440p others say 1080p.

In any case the fact that they had to do careful data optimization layout on the ssd for the flight area suggests that even the laptop would have struggled otherwise even with its likely state of the art nvme. Such optimizations are impossible on open world, so at least that laptop with its current software seems like it would struggle with open worlds at this level of detail at least until further optimizations are made.
1440p was the native resolution of the PS5 demo. To run it in a laptop with a way slower SSD at higher framerate it should be running at a way lower resolution or detail. I think it was both 1080p and less quality level.

In theory this engine makes the streaming that scalable: it sales down the detail of the scene to the hardware capabilities where it runs. As an example, the demo we saw in PS5 was 1440p 30fps, but they could have put it at 4K 60fps, but this would have reduced the detail quality of what we saw.
Same goes when running it on a worse hardare (SSD/GPU/SSD...), they may also run the demo but reducing its quality detail.

In any case, they are a year and a half of the final Unreal Engine 5 release, so they have still a lot of work to do including optimizations, fixes and completing stuff. It's very likely that once completed this demo will run way better on PS5, next gen PCs and Series X than we saw in the demo.

Last edited:
Yup and I think Ps5 will load all ps4 games uninterupted by spash / health or contacting servers in 1 second.

Not to mention the Spiderman demo wasn't running on final hardware do the results can be even better.

There's an overwhelming amount of evidence that the PS5s I/O solution is increase. And said evidence is backed by developers so we should expect really awesome results where the I/O is concerned.

Last edited:

Bryank75

Banned

It was a video... it was running in a video player.

Bryank75

Banned
yes he played a video of ue5 on ps5 but there are chinese speakers who say he later commented that it ran 40fps in the editor on his laptop.

Practically all 2080 laptops are 1080p. There are a few that are 4k, though. If it is 1080p, 1440p is twice the pixels implying twice the performance on ps5.
I'm going to wait till we can see this running for ourselves, if it's 1080p then per pixel detail wouldn't have to be as high and the demo isn't 'the same' so that could be possible......

But right now I feel far removed from the actual proof or anything credible enough to believe.

Everyone's entitled to be stupid but you abuse the privilege.
Yea whatever.

When the engineer said it was running at 40fps on the laptop in the EDITIOR... he was really referring to that video that was running during the livestree... yea, makes sense :rolleyes:

Epic also removing the stream from the net after Tim found out.... yea... really makes sense too :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Yea whatever.

When the engineer said it was running at 40fps on the laptop in the EDITIOR... he was really referring to that video that was running during the livestree... yea, makes sense :rolleyes:

Epic also removing the stream from the net after Tim found out.... yea... really makes sense too :rolleyes:
the thing is the rumored 2080 specs, would if it is also 1080p, put ps5 performance potentially significantly above 2080ti in this demo.

edit:
the vast majority of 2080 laptops are 1080p, so if it is truly 2080 the likelihood is high it is 1080p. Even 6000+$ 2080 laptops are 1080p.

Now we know 1440p is twice the pixels of 1080p, and the ps5 was capped but is said to have had even higher framerate uncapped. The 2080ti is about 40% faster than the 2080 mobile. twice the pixels at similar framerate means 100% faster. 100% faster>40%faster.

Last edited:
The Storage solution is as important as the GPU/CPU/RAM I’d say. Certainly now with much more powerful hardware.

Let’s do a trip down memory lane. PS3 and X360 were the first console gen to include a HDD in every unit. They did that because they needed faster access times than disk and the cost of ram was too high to put massive amounts of it in the console.

Even back then, the HDD transfer times hampered development and required studios to design around its limitations. There were all kinds of tricks going on to get data off the disk and into ram with as much compression as possible and when those solutions ran out of headroom, the game was redesigned to avoid them (or a sub performing mess was delivered!).

Fast forward to this coming gen. The Xsex is about 40 to 50 times more powerful in a straight flop comparison to the X360. It would take 40 to 50 X360s to produce the equivalent flop output of an Xsex.

HDD read rates are about 100mb/s. Let’s be generous to Xsex and use it’s stated 4.8gb/s compressed Transfer speed. That makes it about 48 times as fast as an x360 HDD.

The 360 was already hampered by its HDD access speeds. Xsex is 50 times more powerful and has 50 Times faster access.

Whether that means the Xsex will be likewise hampered by its storage like the 360? - no idea yet.

But one cannot simply say increase gpu/cpu performance and not care about storage. All of the elements have to receive a bump and be balanced - the storage has been ignored for 2 generations and now it’s getting the focus it needs to allow the gpu/cpus to perform.
I thought the original XBOX had a HDD with every console. This is the first I've heard about the 360 being hampered by its HDD. Even if that is true for a time it had games that looked better than the PS3 so maybe there is more to the story. Since you already mentioned that the XSX has an upgraded HDD over what was offered last generation I still see no reason why its storage solution would be a hindrance. Seeing how the PS5 has a storage solution that won't easily be expanded upon because of its speed it could very well be the PS5 hindered with storage issues.

the thing is the rumored 2080 specs, would if it is also 1080p, put ps5 performance potentially significantly above 2080ti in this demo.

edit:
the vast majority of 2080 laptops are 1080p, so if it is truly 2080 the likelihood is high it is 1080p. Even 6000+$ 2080 laptops are 1080p.

Now we know 1440p is twice the pixels of 1080p, and the ps5 was capped but is said to have had even higher framerate uncapped. The 2080ti is about 40% faster than the 2080 mobile. twice the pixels at similar framerate means 100% faster. 100% faster>40%faster.
The 2080 MaxQ is like 2060 performance.

Nanite scales with compute. 2080ti will demolish the PS5.

yes but the 2080 mobile is not, mobile is near 2080 desktop performance. We don't know if it was max q or 2080 mobile.

edit:
The vast majority of laptops are 1080p, if this is the case very good likelihood even for maxq ps5 would be 100% faster.

In unreal engine

That would put ps5 performance at 2080ti level potentially. Assuming max q 2080. If it is 2080 mobile ps5 would be about 50% faster than 2080 ti at this demo.

Last edited:

Read this:

Not as simple as that. You still need to feed the CUs with the async compute jobs. About that, do you know where the ACEs (Async Compute Engines) are and at what frequency they run at ?

- They are not in the CUs
- They run at GPU frequency, so they run about 22% faster on PS5.

Epic games technical director says it uses Async Compute, so if both have the same amount of Async Compute Engines, it would favour clock-speed, right? The whole “rising tides” thing?

Last edited:
Yes... but my 2080ti runs at 2100mhz... :messenger_grinning_smiling:

we know that some or all parts of nanite the primitive shaders were faster than compute shaders. We need clarification on the following quote
"The vast majority of triangles are software rasterised using hyper-optimised compute shaders specifically designed for the advantages we can exploit," explains Brian Karis. "As a result, we've been able to leave hardware rasterisers in the dust at this specific task. Software rasterisation is a core component of Nanite that allows it to achieve what it does. We can't beat hardware rasterisers in all cases though so we'll use hardware when we've determined it's the faster path. On PlayStation 5 we use primitive shaders for that path which is considerably faster than using the old pipeline we had before with vertex shaders."

What does he mean by in all cases? does he mean In all gpus? or in all parts of the algorithms?

It can easily be interpreted that cases refers to gpus and that in the ps5 the primitive shader route is faster. If so it is conceivable the geometry engine hosting the primitive shaders is a specially designed section of the gpu that is designed for the task of handling billions of polygons effectively.

If the geometry engine is indeed especially designed for this, the difference with other gpus could easily be like the difference between gpus with rtx and gpus without.

I guess if we knew the specs of the laptop we could clarify. The vast majority of laptops are 1080p. There are a few 4k ones. The likeliest scenario is the engineer had a 1080p laptop. Might be 2080 mobile, 2080 max q, or 2080 super. We don't know. In all scenarios were the engineer has 1080p the ps5 performance is at 2080ti performance or significantly higher, depending on the gpu.

But if the engineer had a 4k notebook, as 1440p ones don't seem to exist. Then it depends, if it was running at 4k then ps5 performance was substantially less. If it was running at 1440p then ps5 performance is about the same, assuming similar level of details. Could be a 2080 mobile or 2080 max q or 2080 super, or maybe the chinese forum guy made it up and it is none of the above.

Last edited:
we know that some or all parts of nanite the primitive shaders were faster than compute shaders. We need clarification on the following quote

What does he mean by in all cases? does he mean In all gpus? or in all parts of the algorithms?

It can easily be interpreted that cases refers to gpus and that in the ps5 the primitive shader route is faster. If so it is conceivable the geometry engine hosting the primitive shaders is a specially designed section of the gpu that is designed for the task of handling billions of polygons effectively.

If the geometry engine is indeed especially designed for this, the difference with other gpus could easily be like the difference between gpus with rtx and gpus without.

I guess if we knew the specs of the laptop we could clarify. The vast majority of laptops are 1080p. There are a few 4k ones. The likeliest scenario is the engineer had a 1080p laptop. Might be 2080 mobile, 2080 max q, or 2080 super. We don't know. In all scenarios were the engineer has 1080p the ps5 performance is at 2080ti performance or significantly higher, depending on the gpu.

But if the engineer had a 4k notebook, as 1440p ones don't seem to exist. Then it depends, if it was running at 4k then ps5 performance was substantially less. If it was running at 1440p then ps5 performance is about the same, assuming similar level of details. Could be a 2080 mobile or 2080 max q, or maybe the chinese forum guy made it up and it is none of the above.
You're right. PS5 will demolish my 2080ti :messenger_bicep:

Blessed Cerny! :messenger_kissing_smiling:

You're right. PS5 will demolish my 2080ti :messenger_bicep:

Blessed Cerny! :messenger_kissing_smiling:
I'm not saying it necessarily does, just that it is conceivable.

Just like the 2060 demolishes the 1080ti at raytracing if the geometry engine is built for this there is a similar possibility.

We could confirm or deny if we knew laptop specs and settings. Almost all 2080 notebooks (the rumor is 2080)are 1080p, including the most expensive ones, suggesting high likelihood this is the setting he ran the demo at.

I'm not saying it necessarily does, just that it is conceivable.

Just like the 2060 demolishes the 1080ti at raytracing if the geometry engine is built for this there is a similar possibility.

We could confirm or deny if we knew laptop specs and settings. Almost all 2080 notebooks (the rumor is 2080)are 1080p, including the most expensive ones, suggesting high likelihood this is the setting he ran the demo at.
We'll find out eventually.

And by that time I will have a 3080ti :messenger_winking_tongue:

We'll find out eventually.

And by that time I will have a 3080ti :messenger_winking_tongue:
Still we shall see.

If it is 1440p or 4k, the ps5 is as strong as 2080 or notably weaker. Given rdna performance difference, i doubt it was running at 4k if it is indeed 2080 mobile.

If it is maxq at 1080p the ps5 is possibly as strong as 2080ti.

But if it is either 2080 mobile or 2080 super mobile. and it is running at 1080p.... then the ps5 could potentially be 50-60% faster than 2080 ti. (keep in mind that is bigger than the gap between 1080ti and 2080 ti when not using ray tracing) In which case it would miraculously be as fast or faster than the 3080ti when not using ray tracing. Of course the 3080 ti will beat it massively when using ray tracing, but there is a small possibility that when not using it the ps5 is just as fast or faster.

ToadMan

I thought the original XBOX had a HDD with every console. This is the first I've heard about the 360 being hampered by its HDD. Even if that is true for a time it had games that looked better than the PS3 so maybe there is more to the story. Since you already mentioned that the XSX has an upgraded HDD over what was offered last generation I still see no reason why its storage solution would be a hindrance. Seeing how the PS5 has a storage solution that won't easily be expanded upon because of its speed it could very well be the PS5 hindered with storage issues.

The point is this, MS and Sony got by with HDDs for 2 generations. New storage tech is any easy way to level up performance.

Of the 2, xsx is closer to a constraint because it’s storage is slower so it hasn’t taken advantage of this area of development and for the rest of the gen will have to live with that limitation.

Oh and PS5 can be expanded by off the shelf SSDs - MS’s solution is proprietary. Proprietary usually equals more expensive so I’d prefer if ms had not done that.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
food for thought:

what if the bandwidth between cpu and I/O is restricted to pcie 4.0 4x (8GB/s) on the PS5 (as the gfx below implies, 4 lanes), and pcie 3.0 4x (4GB/s) on the XSX? Why would MS waste money on pcie 4.0 lanes when pcie 3.0 are cheaper ? (well should, being old "standard" since 2008?).

pcie 3.0 4x = 4GB/s (each direction)
pcie 4.0 1x = 2GB/s (each direction)
pcie 4.0 2x = 4GB/s (each direction), which would be nearly twice the bandwith of 2.4GB/s. Would they waste money here¿
and 4x pcie 4.0 would be close to 3x bigger than what the SSD can deliver of the XSX. Doubt theyre wasting money here.

Do we have more data on this? To be honest, even 8GB/s sound not enough speed between CPU&I/O.

z4c3PrW.png

LordOfChaos

Even Linus's fanbase is calling him out over the lack of informed talk over the PS5's SSD, rather than just "these 3K PC drives are faster on sequential read". But I mean, for all their production value, they make a lot of mistakes and lack of research, and the WAN show is fully improv it seems.

Bryank75

Banned
Even Linus's fanbase is calling him out over the lack of informed talk over the PS5's SSD, rather than just "these 3K PC drives are faster on sequential read". But I mean, for all their production value, they make a lot of mistakes and lack of research, and the WAN show is fully improv it seems.

Have no time for that guy, annoys me to no end..and Austin Evans. They're all insufferable.

LordOfChaos

Have no time for that guy, annoys me to no end..and Austin Evans. They're all insufferable.

They occasionally have interesting projects which is mostly why I'm subbed, but I don't particularly think it's a bad thing that Linus is going to be stepping back and let the other guys run more. Luke was even trying to say that "world class storage system" didn't mean "fastest peak sequential speed" but Linus was drowning him out with his "I'm master race, I know more than everyone" smarmyness. I've been building PCs since forever, I studied computer science, I'm in tune with PCs for sure, but that attitude I find insufferable.

Bryank75

Banned
They occasionally have interesting projects which is mostly why I'm subbed, but I don't particularly think it's a bad thing that Linus is going to be stepping back and let the other guys run more. Luke was even trying to say that "world class storage system" didn't mean "fastest peak sequential speed" but Linus was drowning him out with his "I'm master race, I know more than everyone" smarmyness. I've been building PCs since forever, I studied computer science, I'm in tune with PCs for sure, but that attitude I find insufferable.
'Smarmy' is a good word to describe him!

A dev from Firesprite Games, studio behind roguelike survival horror game The Persistence talks about why games developed for SSDs will be better. Doesn't mention PS5 specifically, but does also praise the DualSense controller

his comments on SSDs

I think the players are going to be the real winners here. The SSD is going to be massive to allow us to create larger worlds that load faster, to move quicker within them. It opens up possibilities for us. The new positional sound stuff is great for like, for games, being able to like play sound effects that feel like they're around you while you're on the couch, it's gonna make another big improvement. I think all the platforms have got a ton that they're offering. And I think it's gonna be a big win for players as far as I can see. It just is super exciting for us to be able to make our ambitions greater, sometimes you might have to discard a feature because it might require a long load, for example. Now, in the future, that may not be a problem. That'll very much directly allow us to make better games, I think that that's absolutely true.

his comments on DualSense

We always strive to immerse the player in the world. The immersion comes through how you touch the game, and what you see of the game. Obviously the chipset improvements will help with the visuals and the audio, but control is a massive part of it. You know, being able to get a much better feel for the surface the character is walking on or the things they're carrying in their hands or whatever. Again, even to be able to start creating some game experiences that perhaps you're not quite used to. It's just great, as a game creator we wait a long time for next-gen stuff to come around, so it's kind of like Christmas in game development land in that sense.

Top Bottom