• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Do not download Patch 2.4 for Diablo 3 on consoles!

orochi91

UPDATE:

Incoming hot-fix!

We are testing a fix for the performance issues for both the PS4 and Xbox One. We’re currently performing our last rounds of quality assurance, and we’re very encouraged by our tests thus far. We’re aiming to have a patch available soon for both PS4 and Xbox One players.

A huge thanks is owed to everyone who submitted feedback and videos to help us isolate the cause and push toward a resolution.

I suppose going forward it would be best to wait at least a week before downloading the latest Patch updates.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Patch 2.4 just dropped and it introduced a ton of performance BS on the console versions of the game:

I swear to god that this patch gave me stuttering on my PS4. Already rebuilt my database and etc but it is still happening.

Same. Played fine and after the patch its pretty bad on my end. Leaping with my Barb is now like Russian roulette, lots of short freezes, stutters, etc - with or without friends in game.

My friends were also commenting about it so we aren't alone.

So I wasn't imagining it! I hope there's a hotfix on the way.

It's an issue that has also been put up on the Blizzard forum. They should be aware of it. A smooth 60fps game just turned into a stutterfest once a friend joins your game. It is ridiculous.

It stutters in single player too. :/

Yeah, I came here to see if the iffier frame rate on consoles has been reported. Playing solo too.

I hope they can fix the stuttering on PS4 fast. I don't even know how they didn't see this coming during testing...

Yah, stutters since the new patch on PS4.

Yup, noticed stuttering for the first time yesterday too. Playing coop on PS4.

Blizzard's forum has a couple threads about it as well:

Thread 1
Thread 2.

Forgot to add "PSA" in the title, lol

SRTtoZ

I heard about this in the other thread so right now I'm not playing it until its patched. One of the best things about the console version was that it ran so damn good, even compared to my 680gtx on PC, where I get this stupid microstutter that I can't seem to fix. So if the console version is a stuttering mess now, it makes me not even want to play it in its current state.

Kadin

D3 is the only game on my X1 that seems to auto-patch. Lucky me I guess. Ah well, playing more on PC these days anyways.

edit: wait, is this issue exclusive to PS4 cause that seems to be all I'm seeing.

orochi91

Aw man, would have been interesting to see what the bot made out of it and watching it derailing the thread

My dumbass assumed there was a roll-back feature for patches.

Apparently, this is not the case, at least on the PS4.

Damn. I downloaded it when I saw the announcement thread to save myself time when I get the itch to play again.

I PM'd a mod so maybe they'll oblige and add it to the title :3

Cleve

Huh, interesting. I've put in about 4 hours since the patch without a single issue on ps4.

Are certain classes/effects more prone to it?

orochi91

Mine played fine, installed patch and played for a good 2hrs yesterday with no problems.
Huh, interesting. I've put in about 4 hours since the patch without a single issue on ps4.

Assuming you're on the PS4, did you install patch 2.4 before or after the Sony 3.15 Firmware update?

Some people are theorizing that it might be related.

If it auto patched and i don't open the game am I still safe?

If it's set to auto-patch, then you've been updated to the 2.4 version.

Launch the game and run some rifts when you have the chance, apparently some people aren't having issues.

orochi91

D3 is the only game on my X1 that seems to auto-patch. Lucky me I guess. Ah well, playing more on PC these days anyways.

edit: wait, is this issue exclusive to PS4 cause that seems to be all I'm seeing.

XB1 as well, according to several posters on the Blizzard board, and a couple posters above your post.

Kadin

XB1 as well, according to several posters on the Blizzard board, and a couple posters above your post.
I saw one above my post and none in the thread linked. I even looked at some other threads in the Console section but I'm not seeing it. I guess I'll load mine up and see if I'm affected so I can at least contribute to the forums if it's an issue.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Eh. My post is on the OP, but it's not that bad. I can definitely handle it until they patch it up.

Ranma

had a bit of lag Yesterday with a friend (i was hosting on a 100mbit fiber optic so i doubt it was a bandwith problem) but this evening was playing fine.
Still have some frames issues when there are a ton of effects on screens but has been like that from the start.

orochi91

I was playing with a friend last night and didn't experience any problems. Installed 2.4 before the 3.15 firmware.

I'll go ahead and install it in this order, will report back tonight.

I saw one above my post and none in the thread linked. I even looked at some other threads in the Console section but I'm not seeing it. I guess I'll load mine up and see if I'm affected so I can at least contribute to the forums if it's an issue.

Post #2 in Thread 1, and Post #42 in thread 2.

I'm also going to risk it and install it tonight, lol

Assuming you're on the PS4, did you install patch 2.4 before or after the Sony 3.15 Firmware update?

Some people are theorizing that it might be related...

question: how, exactly, could 2 unrelated updates possibly have an effect on each other depending on in which order they were installed?...

.hacked

Some people are theorizing that it might be related.

If it's set to auto-patch, then you've been updated to the 2.4 version.

Launch the game and run some rifts when you have the chance, apparently some people aren't having issues.

Patched firmware 1st then updated.

orochi91

I was playing with a friend last night and didn't experience any problems. Installed 2.4 before the 3.15 firmware.
Patched firmware 1st then updated.
Firmware a few days ago. D3 patch two days ago. No issues.

One more question, are you folks running the disc or digital version?

question: how, exactly, could 2 unrelated updates possibly have an effect on each other depending on in which order they were installed?...

It was just a hunch some (myself included) were having :3

I played about an hour with no problems last night. I installed the D3 patch before the PS4 firmware patch. The only problem I encountered was that under Downloads, the D3 patch had the wrong picture. (It used the Heavensward pic for some reason).

I have the disc version if that matters.

Played about 15 hours on PS4 the past 2 days and not had any issues. Smooth as butter. Now I am only on Act V so maybe it's an adventure mode thing or something.

Hollow

Didn't notice any issues when I played after updating. Still ran the same for me.

Played about 15 hours on PS4 the past 2 days and not had any issues. Smooth as butter. Now I am only on Act V so maybe it's an adventure mode thing or something.

I play adventure almost exclusively and didn't notice any performance drops.

I did play solo so maybe it's an online issue.

Neverwas

I haven't had any issues with Diablo since the patch (digital version). I have been having a ton of freezes/lockups in Borderlands Handsome Collection since the Ps4 firmware update though. =/

Yep, still happening to me. Rebulit the database more than once, stil stuttering. Mind you, I'm not talking about framerate, but stuttering, the framerate is the same as before.

Sakujou

Banned
so is this problem only related to ps4x1?

i have the 360 version and will play it tomorrow with friends online... i hope you can give me some hints...

androvsky

The theory was that the firmware performance update had something to do with letting third-party games use part of the seventh core on the PS4. Games that automatically use all available cores (assuming a newer SDK isn't required) but had some timing bugs could, in theory, have stuttering or other issues. Especially if a job that expects to have full use of a core accidentally winds up on the seventh core shared with the OS.

Not saying that's what's going on, but it's not impossible.

Cleve

One more question, are you folks running the disc or digital version?

Digital version, patched before firmware update, no issues. I do have a 7200 rpm hdd in my system though, so who knows.

so is this problem only related to ps4x1?

i have the 360 version and will play it tomorrow with friends online... i hope you can give me some hints...

Is the 360 version even getting these updates? I thought it wasn't supported.

How to you rebuild the database on PS4?

Turn off your PS4, then hold the power button until you hear two beeps. Follow the menus and voilà.

On topic: I recorded a video with the stuttering but it is harder to see with the limitations of the capture settings. Is there any way to record 60fps videos on the PS4 without a capture card?

EDIT: Just looked at the Diablo 3 official forums, things are not looking good. A Blizzard CM posted this:

EDIT 2: I've managed to repeat the stuttering consistently by running around in Act IV Bastion's Keep Stronghold. The stutter usually happens when I run near Orek / Kadala / the rift entrance, I've recorded it but the quality is bad.

Turn off your PS4, then hold the power button until you hear two beeps. Follow the menus and voilà.

On topic: I recorded a video with the stuttering but it is harder to see with the limitations of the capture settings. Is there any way to record 60fps videos on the PS4 without a capture card?

EDIT: Just looked at the Diablo 3 official forums, things are not looking good. A Blizzard CM posted this:

EDIT 2: I've managed to repeat the stuttering consistently by running around in Act IV Bastion's Keep Stronghold. The stutter usually happens when I run near Orek / Kadala / the rift entrance, I've recorded it but the quality is bad.

Thanks. May I ask what is the benefit of rebuilding the database?

Syntsui

I noticed things got quite slow on the end chapter 3 and on the beginning of chapter 4. There's definitely something wrong, single player mode here.

The theory was that the firmware performance update had something to do with letting third-party games use part of the seventh core on the PS4. Games that automatically use all available cores (assuming a newer SDK isn't required) but had some timing bugs could, in theory, have stuttering or other issues. Especially if a job that expects to have full use of a core accidentally winds up on the seventh core shared with the OS.

Not saying that's what's going on, but it's not impossible.

so basically nothing a cold boot wouldn't fix?...

Oppo

yeah this is a bummer. it's immediately apparent. gonna go fill out the Blizzard survey now.

Top Bottom