• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Don't believe the FUD/Bullshit about the PS5 Overheating (Secret Xbox Discord Group, GET ITT!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrAspirino

Banned
Lets say Jim Ryan comes out tomorrow with an announcement that PS5 has a water-cooling system.

Would you still believe the FUD/bullshit because you'd see this as damage control?

My point for the thread is not to believe FUD/Bullshit about the PS5 overheating since no actual developer to this day or anyone with credible history in the industry has corroborated this childish rumor.
Of course I wouldn't believe it (the FUD). If Jim Ryan (first hand knowledge) announce a water-cooling system, I have no reason to believe any FUD, since every rumor would be debunked by the official source.

My point is that: when there's no official info, there's room for FUD and rumors.

Last edited:
Of course I wouldn't believe it (the FUD). If Jim Ryan (first hand knowledge) announce a water-cooling system, I have no reason to believe any FUD, since every rumor would be debunked by the official source.

My point is that: when there's no official info, there's room for FUD and rumors.
I get you now :)

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Gavon West Gavon West
  1. Showing the logo was a tease. It's marketing.
  2. Sony wasn't at E3 2019 either.
  3. I have no idea what point you're trying to make here
  4. So? They could show it in July and people would still have months to decide if they want to buy it.
  5. Once again, I have no idea what the hell kind of point you're trying to make.
Damn you for making me defend MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima from your rant.

Love can bloom on a battlefield of shitposts <3

Gavon West Gavon West
  1. Showing the logo was a tease. It's marketing.
  2. Sony wasn't at E3 2019 either.
  3. I have no idea what point you're trying to make here
  4. So? They could show it in July and people would still have months to decide if they want to buy it.
  5. Once again, I have no idea what the hell kind of point you're trying to make.
Damn you for making me defend MiyazakiHatesKojima MiyazakiHatesKojima from your rant.

Love can bloom on a battlefield of shitposts <3

COXawkV.jpg

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
doesn't justify it, trolls and liars will always be the there, all that Sony needs to do is show the console and announce some new games for PS5 and no one will even pay attention to these people, so Sony's silence ain't helping
I can definitely see both sides here. And I do believe that if Sony showed their games already, that it would kill the doom and gloom talk from the haters

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Lets say Jim Ryan comes out tomorrow with an announcement that PS5 has a water-cooling system.

Would you still believe the FUD/bullshit because you'd see this as damage control?

My point for the thread is not to believe FUD/Bullshit about the PS5 overheating since no actual developer to this day or anyone with credible history in the industry has corroborated this childish rumor.
I like you Miyazaki. I do. You're for the Sony camp and I respect that.

That being said, the fact you even have to say, "Lets say Jim Ryan comes out tomorrow with an announcement that PS5 has a water-cooling system."

You're creating a hypothetical in order to do the job Jim Ryan should be doing. That's the epitome of defending. What's worse, Jim Ryan wont come out tomorrow and announce a water-cooling system for the PS5. I'm only stating....

I'm not saying there are heating issues with the PS5. Hell, I dont know - how could I? But everything is not fine at Sony with PS5. Of that I'm confident.

Last edited:

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Its right in front of us!

1) The first ACTUAL reveal of the PS5 was the logo.

2) Sony canceled E3 2020 well before the epidemic. And many shows after.

3) The Hardware specs of the PS5 are being questioned and doubted, UNCHECKED.

4) With all the pressure put on by Series X, we still have no idea what the form factor is or have we seen a controller -- nothing concrete.

5) As of now, Microsoft owns the narrative. Hands down! Why hasnt Sony came with their own interviews to balance out the headlines about the PS5?

There's more. Much more. But I think you get my point. This has nothing to do with their strategy as I can guarantee Sony didnt plan on Microsoft coming in with 12 TF console and allowing them to dominate headlines. not to mention allow all the negative press that's been circling the internet. Sony's good, but they cant afford to just sit by and let this continue. Their fans are loyal. Not stupid....
That's the thing. As soon as Sony shows PS5 games they will control the narrative

Next generation starts when PS says it does, for many people

I like you Miyazaki. I do. You're for the Sony camp and I respect that.

That being said, the fact you even have to say, "Lets say Jim Ryan comes out tomorrow with an announcement that PS5 has a water-cooling system."

You're creating a hypothetical in order to do the job Jim Ryan should be doing. That's the epitome of defending. What's worse, Jim Ryan wont come out tomorrow and announce a water-cooling system for the PS5. I'm only stating....

I'm not saying there are heating issues with the PS5. Hell, I dont know - how could I? But everything is not fine at Sony with PS5. Of that I'm confident.
It's not defending as much as it is arguing against the logic behind believing such a false rumor.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Doesn't mean the console will look like the dev kit. Just saying that the vents on the dev kit could indicate how the cooling system will work.
Heh, no, I know. Just pointing out that a whole bunch of vents in a U shape pointing to the center of the console is a bad design imo. Even if it's the intake. I'm going to venture a guess that the cooling system will be fairly one direction and not central.

Last edited:

Rim

Another xbox discord group conspiracy theory? Wasn't there one of these about github being some plot hatched by xbox fans? Anyways I'm sure things will be fine, but I trust Jez a whole lot more than Jason Schreir. If Jez says he's heard similar things I tend to believe it. He's actually been the one who has gotten accurate information about next gen consoles so far. Jason Schreier has been wrong nearly every step of the way.
Weren't you the one that got banned from Reset by claiming Cerny was lying about the PS5 having RT?

Edit: Yep. That was you.

Last edited:

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
That's the thing. As soon as Sony shows PS5 games they will control the narrative

Next generation starts when PS says it does, for many people

We both know how this works. This is a new generation. Microsoft OWNS the narrative right now. Actually, they've been quite bullish and very confident with each showing or info dump. And for good reason. You're totally correct that Sony could definitely show some games for the PS5 tomorrow (another hypothetical....) and have a huge impact on the narrative as it stands today.

But......I can guarantee whatever Sony shows, if they show anything will be met with pause because the new narrative, the new precedent has already been put in place. The pause is all Microsoft needs. They dont expect to immediately dominate the next console race. Their in this for the long game. But consider Sony has completely OWNED this entire generation. That's seven long years of ass kicking!

Microsoft has been nailing EVERYTHING so far with Sony quiet on the home front about their next gen agenda. They've created a pause for consideration and continue to do it. The pause is "opportunity". Even among loyal Sony fans. If I could show it visually, it would look something below. Forgive this exceedingly basic example:

Sony current domination (7 years)
"----------------------------------------------------| |----------------------------------"

The "-----" represents Sony's current dominance of the last 7 years.. The Gap represents the change in narrative by Xbox, positive news, interviews, Series X reveal, more powerful Hardware, new acquisitions, etc, with no real answers from Sony.

The gap represents a window of opportunity. A pause. It's slight, but its just enough to change things. That's all thats needed for Microsoft to come in strong and win back a shit load of gamers who jumped ship this current generation. As long as they keep nailing the message, nail the price and XGS brings 1st party bangers, that window of opportunity will widen.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Given how it feels like this is the userbase first time dealing with an SSD, I am sure someone legitimately believes this.

Either a PC fan that cannot believe their platform does for once not have the best component and makes the most out of it or an Xbox fan that is conveniently skipping all MS’s literature around the Velocity Architecture / Direct Storage (use of an SSD in a console is just one of the many differentiating factors in these new consoles)... or just someone that does not care about saying something a bit foolish as they only cared to troll PS5 fans to get a chuckle out of it.

(given the reaction by YukiOnna YukiOnna I can seen it is likely the latter)

Last edited:
We both know how this works. This is a new generation. Microsoft OWNS the narrative right now. Actually, they've been quite bullish and very confident with each showing or info dump. And for good reason. You're totally correct that Sony could definitely show some games for the PS5 tomorrow (another hypothetical....) and have a huge impact on the narrative as it stands today.

But......I can guarantee whatever Sony shows, if they show anything will be met with pause because the new narrative, the new precedent has already been put in place. The pause is all Microsoft needs. They dont expect to immediately dominate the next console race. Their in this for the long game. But consider Sony has completely OWNED this entire generation. That's seven long years of ass kicking!

Microsoft has been nailing EVERYTHING so far with Sony quiet on the home front about their next gen agenda. They've created a pause for consideration and continue to do it. The pause is "opportunity". Even among loyal Sony fans. If I could show it visually, it would look something below. Forgive this exceedingly basic example:

"----------------------------------------------------| |----------------------------------"

The "-----" represents Sony's current dominance of the last 7 years.. The Gap represents the change in narrative by Xbox, positive news, interviews, Series X reveal, more powerful Hardware, new acquisitions, etc, with no real answers from Sony.

The gap represents a window of opportunity. A pause. It's slight, but its just enough to change things. That's all thats needed for Microsoft to come in strong and win back a shit load of gamers who jumped ship this current generation. As long as they keep nailing the message, nail the price and XGS brings 1st party bangers, that window of opportunity will widen.
>When Sony fully unveils the PlayStation 5 console and its first party titles this year claiming back control of the narrative
Kv9QQL0.jpg

Last edited:

cragarmi

Its possible that this overheating rumour is based on the possibility that an earlier dev kit, lets say one that shipped about a year ago, was based on a more traditional cooling setup, and did have a problem with overheating when the highest clock settings were used. It is also possible that the kits sent out, lets say 6 months ago not only fixed this issue, but also allowed for a quieter build. That way rumours would be based on truth, but not the whole truth.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Well, overhyping one side and spreading F.U.D. around forum about the other is trying to create a narrative alright ;).

MS won the equivalent of the phone cameras MegaPixel and sensors count wars (something a bit more important than that, albeit it can be a not stupid metric in cameras too with qualifications, but I am taking about hitting a number which is even more important for marketing reasons than anything else you can do with it) and showed a box.

There is nothing else they have done or shared with people that is in a league of its own beside having a group of coordinated people shower some forums creating thread upon thread upon how much of a BEAST XSX is and trying to create “concern” around the speed of PS5, if it really had RDNA in it and not a mix of GCN in it, if it really had hardware RT, if it really has RDNA2, if it is always close to thermal throttling, constantly taking Cerny interviews and trying to take things out of context and create crazy scenarios on top of them, etc...

Either crazy fools that want to start shit or a good chunk of astroturfers...

Indeed...

Last edited:

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Sony has to blame themselves for Xbox fanboys spreading FUD? Might want to reread your comment and try again.

Bold words from someone incapable for doing it himself.

Well Jason only pops up when there is news about the PS5 that is not positive.

What is he a gaming journalist or a sony gaming journalist? He always seems like damage control

Welcome to game media 2020.

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
I'm actually keen to believe in the heating issues. Why? Because as someone said some time ago, being a PC gamer gives you first hand knowledge and experience. Console-only guys seem to have absolutely no clue how stupidly high the voltage needs to be applied to achieve such high GPU clocks, there's a reason GPUs in PC can't go higher than 2-2.1GHz even when liquid cooled at just 35-45 degrees, you can apply higher voltage only so much without a custom BIOS, which still reaches high values already, and as a result a very unpleasant temperatures, to say the least. This, plus the fact Sony still didn't show how the console looks like, not even a glimpse, leaving all te room for people to speculate and making the whole case really suspicious. So as it has been said already, we can only blame Sony for not being transparent and for their poor reveal presentation.

LMJ

So I hate to be that guy, but I cant be the only one to notice almost all news about these next gen systems is...well PS5 centric...and the xbox loyalist are part of it

Seriously the outliers being a few spec threads for the XseX have popped up here and there, but the deep dives, the theories and of course the slam and controversy pieces are all PS5...

It would seem to me that if MS's fans (youtubers bloggers, timdog etc)were so sure of thier consoles power and awesome specs (as they should be) they would focus on this, but in nearly every thread and vid I see on the PS5, these same individuals are tearing it down, or mocking it...as if they are afraid of ANY deficiency on their consoles end...

You are aware of the adage "there's no such thing as bad publicity" all this does is ensure that the PS5 is all that everyone keeps hearing about...

So I hate to be that guy, but I cant be the only one to notice almost all news about these next gen systems is...well PS5 centric...and the xbox loyalist are part of it

Seriously the outliers being a few spec threads for the XseX have popped up here and there, but the deep dives, the theories and of course the slam and controversy pieces are all PS5...

It would seem to me that if MS's fans (youtubers bloggers, timdog etc)were so sure of thier consoles power and awesome specs (as they should be) they would focus on this, but in nearly every thread and vid I see on the PS5, these same individuals are tearing it down, or mocking it...as if they are afraid of ANY deficiency on their consoles end...

You are aware of the adage "there's no such thing as bad publicity" all this does is ensure that the PS5 is all that everyone keeps hearing about...
Shhhh! Don't spoil the secret!

farmerboy

If there's any trouble in the Sony camp, it's about whether they ship this year due to COVID-19.

I don't think they're worried about a 2 flop difference. Jesus Christ, they would have strategised and known, fucking years ago, what xbox could achieve, if they so wanted to. THEY'RE BOTH AMD SOURCED HARDWARE.

Sony has chosen what they want to do. They will execute on their vision. We will be impressed.

And yet, we have a myriad of man children spouting nonsense about their own crazed notion that somehow Sony has been caught out. There in trouble. Because these guys want to believe that the guys that just smacked them around for 7 years - wait for it - DON'T KNOW WHAT THEY'RE DOING! Imagine if they did!

I'm not really happy that they're not saying much. At this point I think it's because the first half of the year would have concentrated on games (which now have been pushed back) and the second half would have been a focussed, concentrated run to launch.

3 months before launch is the most important narrative to control.
What's xbox gonna talk about if they keep shooting their load now? Games probably, but as if Sony hasn't got their own to show.

Sony's like Hulk Hogan. Watch them get straight back up, just when the oppostion thinks it's dealt a killer blow.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm actually keen to believe in the heating issues. Why? Because as someone said some time ago, being a PC gamer gives you first hand knowledge and experience. Console-only guys seem to have absolutely no clue how stupidly high the voltage needs to be applied to achieve such high GPU clocks, there's a reason GPUs in PC can't go higher than 2-2.1GHz even when liquid cooled at just 35-45 degrees, you can apply higher voltage only so much without a custom BIOS, which still reaches high values already, and as a result a very unpleasant temperatures, to say the least. This, plus the fact Sony still didn't show how the console looks like, not even a glimpse, leaving all te room for people to speculate and making the whole case really suspicious. So as it has been said already, we can only blame Sony for not being transparent and for their poor reveal presentation.

Fair, but it is not much much different from spreading a nasty rumour that cannot be disproven, not that those people would get proof that would ever convince them (Cerny said that cooling PS5 is actually easier than following PS4 and that people are going to like the solution their engineering team came up with... look at how good that did for those people), and claiming it to be true because of it.

LMJ

BatSu BatSu I truely dislike Jason, I think he is the epitome of the despicable game journalism Meme

Twitchy mc-bitcinson is pro doxing if he dislikes the politics of the victim, the scarlett douche silences anyone who disagrees with him when it comes to his Twitter account , and the soylent turd was a pioneer in the stupidity of the "gamergate" all gamers are toxic bs...

A human piece of excrement in my personal opinion

...that having been said, he clearly does have leads and clearly does have ties in the industry that's why he's considered to be the best journalist or at least one of them in the gaming field...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom