• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Immortals Fenyx Rising's performance mode on PS5 has a permanent stuttering issue (fixed in patch 1.03).

So I just received the game today. Installed it, updated it, etc. To my surprise, the performance mode has a really annoying issue. To put it simply, the game is constantly stuttering. According to VGTech, the game is running at a very stable 60 fps, but in reality this 60 fps feels like 45 fps due to constant stuttering. I sure hope it's a bug that an be fixed quickly because it greatly impact my enjoyment of the game. It makes the game feels "euro-jankie" cheap. So much in fact that I am considering playing in Quality mode, locked at 30 fps.

Had I known this beforehand, I would have purchased the Series X version instead since it doesn't appear to suffer from the same issue.

Console warriors goes all bat-shit insane "racking the wins" for their favorite console. Well, Fenyx may overall have a higher "lowest" dynamic resolution on PS5, but that stuttering definitely makes it the worst version in my eyes, at least until Ubisoft fixes this.

Schnozberry

Did VGTech not experience this issue? I thought they did frame time graphs? Was the version they were using missing a day one patch?

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
So I just received the game today. Installed it, updated it, etc. To my surprise, the performance mode has a really annoying issue. To put it simply, the game is constantly stuttering. According to VGTech, the game is running at a very stable 60 fps, but in reality this 60 fps feels like 45 fps due to constant stuttering. I sure hope it's a bug that an be fixed quickly because it greatly impact my enjoyment of the game. It makes the game feels "euro-jankie" cheap. So much in fact that I am considering playing in Quality mode, locked at 30 fps.

Had I known this beforehand, I would have purchased the Series X version instead since it doesn't appear to suffer from the same issue.

Console warriors goes all bat-shit insane "racking the wins" for their favorite console. Well, Fenyx may overall have a higher "lowest" dynamic resolution on PS5, but that stuttering definitely makes it the worst version in my eyes, at least until Ubisoft fixes this.
This is totally shitty, sorry it's happening to you. Stuttering ruins games, worse than a bad framerate IMO. I wonder if it's consistent across large parts of the game, or is it just in certain sections? How much have you played? I'd be so pissed.

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!

I feel your pain. Unfortunately quality mode is less playable. I have gotten used to the judder somewhat, but yeah, they better patch it soon.

Chukhopops

Did VGTech not experience this issue? I thought they did frame time graphs? Was the version they were using missing a day one patch?
Yeah I’d like to know that too, this stuttering can either impact frame rate or frame time, it’s not possible to have stuttering with good frame rate and frame time.

Reminds me of the CoD comparison where DF showed frame rate drops on PS5 and VGTech only had 4 unique frames lost over the whole test.

Really gets the noggin joggin...

freefornow

tenor.gif

Yeah I’d like to know that too, this stuttering can either impact frame rate or frame time, it’s not possible to have stuttering with good frame rate and frame time.

Reminds me of the CoD comparison where DF showed frame rate drops on PS5 and VGTech only had 4 unique frames lost over the whole test.

Really gets the noggin joggin...

Because for CoD VGTech did the analysis before the patch that added the FPS issue on PS5.

Yeah... I'm saying it's a bug that wasn't there prior to the patch and VGTech did their analysis before the patch so with no bug the FPS was better.

He mentioned its there? What are you talking about ?

So, the other poster was accusing VGTech of not doing their due diligence examining CoD because they missed framerate drops that DF found, right? But the reason VGTech missed these drops is because they're a bug that shows up in the game after the last patch which came AFTER VGTech did their analysis, but BEFORE DF did theirs.

So, the other poster was accusing VGTech of not doing their due diligence examining CoD because they missed framerate drops that DF found, right? But the reason VGTech missed these drops is because they're a bug that shows up in the game after the last patch which came AFTER VGTech did their analysis, but BEFORE DF did theirs.
Oh nevermind . I thought u were talking about Fenix where vg tech mentions the camera shaking.

Chukhopops

Im ok with the explanation on CoD differences, not trying to argue that. Still it’s a bit odd that the stuttering in Immortals doesn’t impact their frame rate and frame time measurement at all.

Yeah... I'm saying it's a bug that wasn't there prior to the patch and VGTech did their analysis before the patch so with no bug the FPS was better.

VgTech had the issue They literally commented on this in the video description. It's also may not appear in the stats, but it's very visible in their own video comparison. Just watch the video. PS5 is constantly stuttering (or perhaps juddering is a better term to describe this) whereas Series X/S is smooth.

Is the stutter constantly present OP? That would suck.

Constantly present. Played the game for 5 hours and it didn't even stop for a second.

onesvenus

I don't know how that is not visible neither in the framerate analysis nor the frame times of VGtech. It seems impossible to me and puts all their results in doubt

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I don't know how that is not visible neither in the framerate analysis nor the frame times of VGtech. It seems impossible to me and puts all their results in doubt
FPS and microstutter are unrelated. It was a big thing when SLIúCrossFire was a thing. You had huge FPS, but games were almost unplayable due to microsttuter. I haven't watched any comparison for game I have no desire to play, so I migh be wrong in that, just say that FPS meter does not show this issue.

Reactions: GHG

onesvenus

FPS and microstutter are unrelated. It was a big thing when SLIúCrossFire was a thing. You had huge FPS, but games were almost unplayable due to microsttuter. I haven't watched any comparison for game I have no desire to play, so I migh be wrong in that, just say that FPS meter does not show this issue.
Notice that I talk about fps and frame time. Stuttering might not be visible in the first but it will in the second. Having perfect frame rate AND frame times makes no sense whatsoever

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Notice that I talk about fps and frame time. Stuttering might not be visible in the first but it will in the second. Having perfect frame rate AND frame times makes no sense whatsoever
Oh yeah, it's about frame time, I said I did not watch the comparsion, just thought I share something from my own personal experience. So yeah I thought that you are talking about FPS, sorry about that.

I have a bit of stuttering on PC too. The engine is just inexplicably taxing considering what's on display. Yes the game looks good but at this performance cost? I hate to be one of those people screaming "poor optimization" but that really seems to be the case with this game. I guess that's why they included the variable quality setting

Last edited:

Handy Fake

Amazing this problem was only mentioned in passing and just discarded as a bug. It makes you think what these comparison videos are really worth for.
Presumably because they suppose it can be fixed without too much issue. Frame pacing issues are different from frame drops, one is tied to hardware and one is software.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Honestly did not notice this in the 3 hours I played yesterday. Hope they fix it. But yeah not really a game breaker for me.

Armorian

Banned

Frametime spikes are always seen on the graph so it's also something else here....

Maybe PS5 have dual GPUs after all :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Any word on a patch?
I don't know how you can't feel that, it's huge for me :messenger_beaming:
Like the stutters in the Series X version of ACV during cinematics, horrible :messenger_face_screaming:

Don't worry, Ubi has officially verified and confirmed the issue exists on the PS5 while running in Performance Mode. Since they can duplicate on their end, it sounds like a patch is incoming soon.

From their forums:

From Ubi Staff:

Thanks for the updates on this issue, everyone!

I can assure you that our team is aware of this issue and has been able to reproduce it!

What that means is, that we're in a place of being able to work on resolving this issue with great ease and speed as we can see just how this is affecting you all.

So please know we definitely know that it's not desired for you to play in Quality Mode ( because it's a PS5! We know you want to get all you can get out of it! ) but until we're able to push forward a solution, we ask that you play with this mode at this time. As soon as I have a date that you can expect the fix to go out, I'll update you all here!

Thank you all again for keeping this thread active and alive so our team knows what's going on!

Help is on the way!

Last edited:

Bramble

Hopefully this will be fixed this week. I ordered a physical copy last Thursday, but all mail is severely delayed. Guess I'm happy about that.

Top Bottom