• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Mario & Luigi: Dream Team demo is up on USA eShop

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
The full game is up too, but it seems like the demo was just released, which I'm downloading right now.

Edit: 12 uses available

3 modes: Real World, Dream World, Boss Battle

Shahadan

I'm curious to see which section of the game was made into a demo. Litterally any would do since there are tutorials everywhere. If it's just the beginning of the game it'll be kinda boring though.

ffdgh

Weird that they would release it now instead of sooner. Download is finished so time to try this out.

Drago

A demo? That's unexpected.

Hoping Gamefly ships my copy out on Monday so this should tide me over til then.

zroid

Banned
I just finished typing up a long wall of text about how Nintendo doesn't release demos for sequels to popular games, and now they pull this out of their butts, probably just to spite me.

Shahadan

I just finished typing up a long wall of text about how Nintendo doesn't release demos for sequels to popular games, and now they pull this out of their butts, probably just to spite me.
Please write a wall of text about the lack of Gamecube VC, thanks

soultron

Banned
Hey, I see you're interesting in downloading Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Demo! You're already here in the eShop and probably know that by clicking the 'Download Demo' option you'll download the demo, but I'm here to tell you that by clicking the 'Download Demo' option you'll download the demo just in case you forgot how to read! Also, you can chose to 'Download Now' to download the demo now or 'Download Later' to download it later! 'Download Later' involves exiting the eShop and then putting your Nintendo 3DS into sleep mode while the demo is downloaded! Did you get all of that or would you like to hear it again?

[A] No, tell me again.
No, tell me again.

Bladenic

Hey, I see you're interesting in downloading Mario & Luigi: Dream Team Demo! You're already here in the eShop and probably know that by clicking the 'Download Demo' option you'll download the demo, but I'm here to tell you that by clicking the 'Download Demo' option you'll download the demo just in case you forgot how to read! Also, you can chose to 'Download Now' to download the demo now or 'Download Later' to download it later! 'Download Later' involves exiting the eShop and then putting your Nintendo 3DS into sleep mode while the demo is downloaded! Did you get all of that or would you like to hear it again?

[A] No, tell me again.
No, tell me again.

I'm rolling right now lmao

Surely the game isn't that bad.

soultron

Banned
I'm rolling right now lmao

Surely the game isn't that bad.

I was really interested in grabbing this game but I read Jim Sterling and Jeremy Parish's reviews and they totally dropped a reality bomb on my excitement. :(

I'm going to grab the demo anyhow.

Drago

Wow the sound in this demo is rough. It's definitely straining the speakers... is anyone else experiencing this?

Edit: I put headphones in... it's really loud! Or maybe I'm just crazy.

I was really interested in grabbing this game but I read Jim Sterling and Jeremy Parish's reviews and they totally dropped a reality bomb on my excitement. :(

As amusing as your post is, it really doesn't reflect the reality. The levels of tutorialising is incredibly similar to that found in BiS.

played a bit... is it just me or is the framerate not super smooth in combat?

This is like the opposite of tales games where its 30fps overworld, 60 in battle o_O

I mean i got the timing down for the attacks... but this is a bit disappointing.

soultron

Banned
As amusing as your post is, it really doesn't reflect the reality. The levels of tutorialising is incredibly similar to that found in BiS.

Having played neither, why does BIS seem to be lauded as a better game if both BIS and DT have the same issues when it comes to an excessive amount of tutorials?

played a bit of the demo and its the same old Mario and Luigi gameplay :D that's a good thing, I'm hyped now.

will pick up later today and get addicted

Berordn

Yeah, every tutorial so far has been completely skippable. Admittedly I'm only 15 minutes into the game, but even coming from BiS it seems like less.

played a bit... is it just me or is the framerate not super smooth in combat?

This is like the opposite of tales games where its 30fps overworld, 60 in battle o_O

I mean i got the timing down for the attacks... but this is a bit disappointing.

I don't think there's any actual dips in the framerate, the sprites are just a bit less fluidly animated in battles. Then again, maybe it's just the demo?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Having played neither, why does BIS seem to be lauded as a better game if both BIS and DT have the same issues when it comes to an excessive amount of tutorials?

IMO there's a lot of aggravation built up over "handholding" and kneejerk reactions are flying left and right these days.

I played all the way through BIS, and I can't help but suspect if it was released today we'd see screaming about its frequent tutorials. This is the way the Mario & Luigi series has always been, more or less.

zroid

Banned
IMO there's a lot of aggravation built up over "handholding" and kneejerk reactions are flying left and right these days.

I played all the way through BIS, and I can't help but suspect if it was released today we'd see screaming about its frequent tutorials. This is the way the Mario & Luigi series has always been, more or less.

This is kind of what I suspected at first based on the Europeans' impressions, but I started to grow genuinely concerned after the US press' take echoed similar complaints. In my experience the handholding backlash has been more forum-centric. Well, I suppose I'll find out for myself soon.

edit: like, when you see people criticizing Pikmin 3 of all games for holding your hand too much, you know it's really getting out of control

Eusis

Music sounds like ass through the XL's atrocious speakers.
I on a whim finished Shantae on DSi yesterday and FINALLY transfered the game over to my 3DS XL, and was surprised at how the game sounded being played on that. Yeah, the XL definitely skimped on the speakers, though at least it sounds fine through the headphone jack which I generally prefer to do with handhelds now that we're above GB and even GBA audio quality.

jmls1121

Banned

Typical Jim Sterling hyperbole. Its actually better than the previous games

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Wow the sound in this demo is rough. It's definitely straining the speakers... is anyone else experiencing this?

Edit: I put headphones in... it's really loud! Or maybe I'm just crazy.
I thought my speakers were blown or something. It's beyond terrible. Still bad through headphones too.

stupei

Yeah, every tutorial so far has been completely skippable. Admittedly I'm only 15 minutes into the game, but even coming from BiS it seems like less.

I'm a couple hours in and everything's been skippable so far. They're clearly hoping people who never play RPGs might give this a try because of the license and want to have information available for younger/inexperienced gamers if they need it. Not sure why that OUTRAGES some people other than the few seconds it takes for the game to pause and be like, "Do you know how this battle system works?"

Half the reason it might seem like there are so many tutorials is it's introducing a lot of elements all at the top. Would they prefer the game held off on most things until later to prevent "tutorializing"? I would think that would be ACTUAL hand holding done to protect the feelings of weirdly sensitive game reviewers.

zroid

Banned
oh shit I forgot about hard mode

THAT'S why I needed to play this game on day 1 :lol

gonna rush through it the first time 8D

zhorkat

Played through the Real world mode. There were a total of 6 mandatory demos, 1 for basic movement, 1 for combat, and one for each of the 4 advanced techniques. All 6 were immediately skippable as soon as they popped up by pressing either X or Y. There were also a bunch of completely optional signs to explain area gimmicks. They're no problem at all in the demo, so unless they're handled drastically differently in the main game or the other two modes, I'll probably be picking up the game soon.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
Glad to hear that you can skip all the tutorial dialogue.

As long as it's not forcing you to sit through it all, it's not really going to be an issue.

Bullza2o

I didn't expect this either. They, I mean NoA, should really notify their consumers about upcoming products especially during Nintendo Directs. Seriously. If I was just a simple consumer who only watches ND's due to a Youtube subscription I would have never known a black XL was coming, a W101 demo is out, and this demo is coming.

But thanks for the heads up. I am not planning on buying this, but maybe the demo will change my mind.

Bleep

I'm a couple hours in and everything's been skippable so far. They're clearly hoping people who never play RPGs might give this a try because of the license and want to have information available for younger/inexperienced gamers if they need it. Not sure why that OUTRAGES some people other than the few seconds it takes for the game to pause and be like, "Do you know how this battle system works?"

Half the reason it might seem like there are so many tutorials is it's introducing a lot of elements all at the top. Would they prefer the game held off on most things until later to prevent "tutorializing"? I would think that would be ACTUAL hand holding done to protect the feelings of weirdly sensitive game reviewers.

Not all the tutorials are skippable and the tutorials are not just at the start. Sometimes when you say no they will even quickly summarize what they would have explained in detail in the tutorial. I played it for over 10 hours before I got tired of it and stopped playing.

Shahadan

Glad to hear that you can skip all the tutorial dialogue.

As long as it's not forcing you to sit through it all, it's not really going to be an issue.
You can't. There are some tutorials you can skip, only the most basics things, and in some cases even skipping will result in the game showing it to you anyway.
And you'll be seeing tutorials even 25 hours in, and those won't be skippable in any way :p

Top Bottom