• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: No Way to Turn Off/Mute PS4 camera for game Chat

Hi there, so I was playing FIFA yesterday and after a few games I noticed the little speaker icon glowing during my matches, indicating that I was chatting online with the other player. I thought to myself, "hmmm, that's strange I have not plugged the headphones into the controller...."

Well turns out the PS4 camera automatically broadcasts in game chat with no way to mute or turn this feature off. Yes, I even checked with Sony and the representative confirmed that there was no way to turn it off, short of unplugging the camera. She couldn't tell me if this was a bug or a feature, but she imagined that this would be patched at a later date.

My recommendation, if you are thinking about buying the PS4 camera is to wait. Mine is unplugged sitting up there on top of the TV.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I think it turns off if you plug the headset in. Sucks, but that seems to be the only way now. Plug the headset in and mute it I guess.

Jeff Gerstmann thought up a work around, you create a chat, and just don't invite anyone to it. Haha.

Super fucking dumb that up can't turn it off though.

UNCMark

Banned
It's a good thing they pulled that thing from the box. It's a pretty uninspired device with terrible support.

Chorazin

1. Plug your provided earbud into the controller (which switches voice chat priority to the controller not the camera)

2. Move the switch to the Off/Mute position.

3. Problem solved.

Hopefully they eventually change this in software so doesn't require this solution, but it works for now.

NeOak

Duct-tape.jpg

Fixed.

frayne182

Banned
wow that is super lame.

Never even thought about that for Friday when I get the X1. Hopefully MS thought ahead with this and allows me to mute the mic on the Kinect.

Last thing I need is someone hearing the shit me and the GF say to each other when I'm playing games LOL.

When Shu was streaming on twitch his mic was muted while on camera. Headset plugged in and turned off like the guy above said I guess.

Saroyan

I noticed that playing NFS Rivals last weekend. I was hearing something strange in the background while playing and thought the game audio might be glitching out so I went into the menus and realized I was hearing someone elses game audio was being picked up and sent out over chat.
I have my camera placed on my entertainment stand in front of my center channel speaker so I was probably doing the same thing without realizing it. I disabled voice chat because it was extremely annoying to hear that. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Guymelef

SPDIF

wow that is super lame.

Never even thought about that for Friday when I get the X1. Hopefully MS thought ahead with this and allows me to mute the mic on the Kinect.

Last thing I need is someone hearing the shit me and the GF say to each other when I'm playing games LOL.

They already do with the original Kinect, so I don't see why they wouldn't with Kinect 2

frayne182

Banned
lol the answer shouldn't be "open a party chat".

I wonder how many didn't notice this. I bet there was some hilarious chats going on.

Bsigg12

wow that is super lame.

You'll be able to mute the Kinect mic. They already had the option with the 360's kinect so you could set it not to allow voice chat but it still works with games and UI commands.

As for the PS Camera, this is just a small oversight. Muting the camera's mic should be implemented sooner rather than later.

thank you for all the suggestions on how to circumvent it, but the point is that we shouldn't have to. I'm not gimping the system by opening a chat in case I actually want to create a party... It's just easier to unplug it till there is a patch.

gotta love the early launch period for consoles :)

1. Plug your provided earbud into the controller (which switches voice chat priority to the controller not the camera)

2. Move the switch to the Off/Mute position.

3. Problem solved.

Hopefully they eventually change this in software so doesn't require this solution, but it works for now.

Don't think that works - i tried it but there is still sound coming from some where, they need to patch in some sort of mute camera as your voice option.... I kept trying to figure where the hell my voice was being picked up from

GodofWine

im going to use a broken set of ear buds and just cut the plug off and use it as my 'mute plug' till this it fixed. will use the earphone/mic when I want to chat

As for the PS Camera, this is just a small oversight. Muting the camera's mic should be implemented sooner rather than later.

I have no doubt it will be patched and patched soon if they have any common sense over there at Sony HQ. They are killing the camera by doing this, I just wanted to let people know and raise some awareness so it would be dealt with sooner.

see5harp

I really think they should have also provided some way to tell whether someone else has a mic plugged in. Later in the generation when parties came around it was nice to know whether people had mics by just glancing at the scoreboard. Now it's like you really have to come out and just say "anybody got a mic" with a whole bunch of randoms. It's weird.

Why would you even buy that camera thing?
I honestly have no idea what I could do with it in UI or games, apart from videochat.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I have no doubt it will be patched and patched soon if they have any common sense over there at Sony HQ. They are killing the camera by doing this, I just wanted to let people know and raise some awareness so it would be dealt with sooner.
nah

frayne182

Banned
You'll be able to mute the Kinect mic. They already had the option with the 360's kinect so you could set it not to allow voice chat but it still works with games and UI commands.

Good to hear thanks for the update.

tfur

No problem, just play Killzone Shadow Fall MP.

The MP is pretty awesome, but apparently there is no chat.

Foxix Von

Caved in and bought one of these things the other night haha. Thanks for the heads up. I never really thought about it, although I'm glad a work around exists. Hopefully this option is bundled in the next update.

fade_

Is this a game developer issue or a ps4 os issue? It would be ideal if you had the option to mute the mic in both the OS and in game.

Alx

Why would you even buy that camera thing?
I honestly have no idea what I could do with it in UI or games, apart from videochat.

Well you can have headset-less voice commands, display your face in twitch streams for those who care, and play Just Dance.
Actually I think it could be big for streaming, although it's the only place where I wouldn't want to use a camera personally.

Here's the fix:

Create a Party Chat
Make it invite only and don't invite anyone
Direct chat audio to party
Keep volume normal

Now you can play your game without everyone hearing you.

As long as you direct the chat audio to party, you don't even need to mute the camera mic.

Unfortunately, this setup prevents you from hearing anyone else's in-game chat, although maybe that is actually a benefit.

U2NUMB

Wow I was wondering about that exact thing. And this explains why I hear so much background noise when playing online.. others have their camera on.

Gonna unplug that asap when I get home but this should certainly be an option in the settings to just turn it off.

Crazy that it's not an option. Do they go into these meetings for 5 years thinking let's give them less options? "Should we give them the option to log in but show as offline?" "No! Less options.".

Top Bottom