• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: P.T. 1.01 patch may stop demo from working [Confirmed Hoax]

DryvBy

EDIT:
It's a HOAX.

A new patch hit today at some point for some regions and Reddit is reporting it may brick your stored copy of the demo. RIP, P.T. yet again.

yw8qurar1ku11.jpg

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
And just like that, I will not be purchasing your Castlevania package on the PS4.

Have some transparency you corporate hacks.

DryvBy

I’m pretty ignorant about this. Is there some legal/contractual basis for them being hellbent on nobody playing this, or is it just a spite thing?

I'm pretty sure it's their hatred for Kojima, the guy that made them tons of money.

wolgoen

I’m getting tired of this ‘auto updating everything and breaking my games’ approach lately, same as Steam. Sometimes I consider creating a separate account on Steam or PSN for each game I buy. I want to be in control of my purchased game thankyou.

Back to manual internet by pulling the network cable out before I backup my console. Drives me nuts.

TacosNSalsa

Sounds like they're doing that on purpose.

What regions and can you simply not download the update?

If the update is just to the game , you can turn off auto updates and you should be fine . If you get hankering to play it disconnect (unplug is probably better) your console from the internet so it doesn't update on startup . If it's system wide/firmware that did this then you're screwed if unless you're okay with never connecting to PSN again .

If the update is just to the game , you can turn off auto updates and you should be fine . If you get hankering to play it disconnect (unplug is probably better) your console from the internet so it doesn't update on startup . If it's system wide/firmware that did this then you're screwed if unless you're okay with never connecting to PSN again .

Well, if this is finally it for P.T. it's serendipitous because I just finally played it after 4 years back in September.

While obviously I want to hang on to it I'm just glad I did get to play it once, although the only problem is... I didn't actually get to see the ending (not my fault as it seems to basically be random)

Tarkus98

Well, if this is finally it for P.T. it's serendipitous because I just finally played it after 4 years back in September.

While obviously I want to hang on to it I'm just glad I did get to play it once, although the only problem is... I didn't actually get to see the ending (not my fault as it seems to basically be random)
Getting to the end of the demo is definitely not random.

This should be illegal. I don't care if it's free, don't update software to intentionally brick it. Also, Sony should have the guts to revert the update.

Last edited:

DryvBy

This is just another reason why the "digital only" crowd is a joke to me. This is what you end up with.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
it is just a fucking demo of a dead game get over it

still pretty lame but eh

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
*Turns on PS4 when he gets home, turns off auto-updates (just like I do with firmware)*

Thanks for wrenching with convenience Konami.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Why did you even come in here, cookie dog? If you have no interest, you could have clicked somewhere else.
nah i played the game liked it uninstalled it
and accepted it was dead at some point.

was just irritated how much madness this game got people selling their consoles with the PT demo.
i mean damn the game was ok not the second coming of christ.
but eh kojima touched it so no surprises there

Last edited:

DryvBy

nah i played the game liked it uninstalled it
and accepted it was dead at some point.

was just irritated how much madness this game got people selling their consoles with the PT demo.
i mean damn the game was ok not the second coming of christ.
but eh kojima touched it so no surprises there

I think a lot of people like it and want to revisit it. It was one of the only games to really creep me out and it's sad when any game or demo is removed from history. It's a part of gaming history.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Konami just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about Japanese culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is in America where you can become successful by being an asshole. If you screw someone over in Japan, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance.

What this means is the japanese public, after hearing about this, is not going to want to purchase anything made by Sony, nor will they purchase any of Konami's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Konami has alienated an entire market with this move.

Konami, publicly apologize and uncancel Silent Hills or you can kiss your business goodbye.

wolgoen

I recall the poo storm Naughty Dog created when an update removed the OPTION for users to enable supersampling and high quality shadows in TLoU because the community moaned of minor frame rate drops. Instead of leaving the OPTION they flat out disabled it. In fairness they did patch it back in eventually - it took them long enough - after the community kicked off about it.

It should not be this way.

ultrazilla

I’m pretty ignorant about this. Is there some legal/contractual basis for them being hellbent on nobody playing this, or is it just a spite thing?

I think it's just Konami being Konami and basically being a hollow company since the glorious 16-bit days of Super NES and Sega Genesis(at least to me).

I made a back up of my PS4 with nothing but P.T. on it to a thumb drive, so as far as I know, I should be able to restore the game anytime (I think I would have to clean install, but still.)

I made a back up of my PS4 with nothing but P.T. on it to a thumb drive, so as far as I know, I should be able to restore the game anytime (I think I would have to clean install, but still.)

How big is the file? I may just do this with a basic old thumb drive I have laying around.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'm kinda skeptical that Sony would let a patch the only purpose of which is to stop a game from working through certification. Will wait and see for more info on this... it smells funny.

How big is the file? I may just do this with a basic old thumb drive I have laying around.

It’s been awhile since I did it, so I can’t remember for sure, but it wasn’t large at all. I’m pretty sure I put it on an 8GB drive with plenty of space.

Last edited:
My question has always been, just what the hell went wrong with Konami? How did it wind up this way?

Did they get a new CEO at some point over the last decade?

My question has always been, just what the hell went wrong with Konami? How did it wind up this way?

Did they get a new CEO at some point over the last decade?

Basically.. Kojima was spending too much. They rid of him. They locked him up to not recieve an award (not sure why)
They continued to make pachinko like they have done for years, but then someone noticed they made a metal gear pachinko and hell broke loose. lol

I have a question. As much as I'm repulsed by Konami right now...

HOW IS SONY NOT ULTIMATELY RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS?

Isn't protection from faulty updates part of what my 60 dollars a year to play online pays for? I thought updates are required to go through a certification process? Wouldn't "the game doesn't work anymore" be a reason to refuse an update? Is Sony actually allowing spite updates that disable content on their customer's consoles? This is absurd.

I'm kinda skeptical that Sony would let a patch the only purpose of which is to stop a game from working through certification. Will wait and see for more info on this... it smells funny.

Good point. This does seem like the absolute worst PR if true, for both Konami and Sony. Are we sure this is real? How widely reported is this?

Last edited:

haxan7

Volunteered as Tribute
Let's do a poll to see how many people still have this sitting on their PS4 hard drive. I bet there's not more than 10 who don't use external hard drives. No offense, but seems like an example of hoarding behavior.

Top Bottom