• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: The 3DS eshop closes down for good in less than two weeks!

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Physical game collectors:

bruce wayne curt geda GIF by Maudit
batman: the animated series batman GIF by Maudit

I made a list of games I want to have and started playing some of it and this is a cool little system. I probably didn’t appreciate it enough over the years but it has a lot of games big and small. Rhythm Heaven is a masterpiece and Boxboy is tremendous. I have to be one of the last 10 people on earth who think the 3D effect is really awesome.
It really is an amazing system IMO, the whole DS ecosystem.

i bought a bunch of stuff when the shutdown was first announced and RH was on there. But yea, it's tough because the 3DS really did have a lot of great titles and it's just a shame that they're going to be much harder if not impossible to acquire legally in about 4 days.

I am surprised there aren't more fire sales honestly. Like, price it at $10 why not.
Yes, I would buy so much more with fire sale and I don't even like digital. I can't fathom why they wouldn't. Capcom's was nice.

I completed my collection of the Ace Attorney games. I needed Apollo Justice and Spirit of Justice. Also got the DLC case for Dual Destinies.

Culdecept Revolt too.

Only other games I want are Detective Pikachu, Radiant Hisotria and Xenoblade Chronicles X for Wii U. None are on sale and too expensive full price. Physical copies cost way too much too. Hoping that XCX gets a Switch port, or, even better, a remaster.
Yeah, I was so happy to pick up all the Ace Attorney games for like $15 total, right before it closed.

kunonabi

Grabbed the remaining SMTIV and FFT: Curtain Call DLC I wanted. Im not going to be able to get FE: Echoes and if DLC but they didn't sound that appealing to be honest.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Another reason not to trust Nintendo’s online system. I bought a lot of digital games on Switch, if there isn’t a shift in their attitude I’m going to skip the next system.
Correct me if I’m wrong but people can still access and re-download their purchased games.

dave_d

No , I just have 1 that I downloaded any games for I think . The other 3 are just for multiplayer stuff or preference. But I was just amazed they fired up with a full battery after close to 2 years in storage.
I wouldn't assume that it really holds a full charge. I know my 3ds when I turned it on with the old battery right after a charge it'd say full but it'd die in 10 minutes. I just got a replacement from Nintendo to replace it. (The old battery was puffed out so it's pretty much on its last legs.)

Leonidas

I wonder if Nintendo will look at the sales generated these final days and decide to postpone the closing. I bought more stuff in these last two days than I did over the last 8 years.
No. I mean it’s nice to support the devs, but I’m not going to stress out about what to buy or not to buy now. Even just getting funds onto the store seems like chore.
It wasn't too bad, all I did was merge my Nintendo account with my Nintendo ID and then I was able to redeem eShop codes. On nintendo.com you even have the option to use a Credit Card or Paypal for purchases, which was good since it allowed me to zero out my eShop balance.

StereoVsn

3DS has terrible hardware and ergonomics. That res makes my eyes cry. And yet low key I have a large library of great games for it.

Kind of sad things are getting shutdown. Backed up my games, including digital, got spare 3DS, but still it's a bit if a bummer.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I spent a bit more than I had planned but the devs got their money and I have a system loaded up that I can take to the afterlife to clear out the backlog I built up. Again, really cool system with a tremendous wide variety of titles. I've been playing Pushmo that game is legit!

Last edited:

DKPOWPOW

Only thing I'm thinking of buying are the Ace Attorney games and I never played any of those yet... 👀
Buy them.
Just checked. Officially offline.

So long, eShop.

sad metal gear solid GIF
Not yet, must be by region or time zone. Just got the DLC for Dual Destines, and Weapon de Omasse Shop on 3DS. May get a few more things… I never bought many games for my 3DS and just realizing how much I missed out on.

Though, I have a pretty big backlog of games across all systems it still hurts to know the shop is closing down for good.

I picked up Devil’s Third yesterday on the Wii U. Likely the last game I buy the from the eShop, the download times for Wii U is extremely slow.

But I was surprised, the game is actually pretty good so far.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I picked up Devil’s Third yesterday on the Wii U. Likely the last game I buy the from the eShop, the download times for Wii U is extremely slow.

But I was surprised, the game is actually pretty good so far.
Yep, I wish it got ported to Switch. I really enjoyed it. Has some fun, bombastic final levels as well.

gradient

Resident Cheap Arse
Closes 5pm or 8pm in your local time zone

So you've still got time to grab those last minute games.

FOMO is the deadliest game

stranno

I don't think people will miss Switch's eShop as much. The amount of crapware it has already is amazing. And not only uber-low quality games. Just pure license violations left and right, like this Rovio's Bounce series bootleg.

NSwitchDS_BounceJourney_01.jpg

TidusYuna

That Dragon Quest VII DLC is some BS. Could I download a completed save download the DLC and then enjoy the extra content later on when I find time to play the game?

So eshop is officially down, but i just checked the haven download bar for Dragon Quest VII and currently the DLC is still accessible/downloadable. So the DLC for DQ7 wasn't tied to the eshop but rather Square-E's servers. Don't know how long it will be available but just giving you a heads up that currently it is still there, if you decide you wan't to play DQ7 and get the DLC.

alf717

So eshop is officially down, but i just checked the haven download bar for Dragon Quest VII and currently the DLC is still accessible/downloadable. So the DLC for DQ7 wasn't tied to the eshop but rather Square-E's servers. Don't know how long it will be available but just giving you a heads up that currently it is still there, if you decide you wan't to play DQ7 and get the DLC.
Thanks for the info! I wonder if the DLC will be accessible after they shut down their servers like with Dragon Quest 8 by just using cheat codes or a save editor to obtain the games DLC content. I just don't have the time to force myself to grind the game. I feel like it would just make the experience less enjoyable if I did.

Last edited:

jufonuk

not tag worthy

Nintendo has extended the period to redeem a code after certain technical difficulties with the shops last weekend.

The new end date for code redemption has been updated to 4th April 2023 in Japan. So that's the 3rd April for other regions. During this time you'll be able to redeem game codes, DLC codes, and theme codes via the eShop.

Keep in mind the time frame on game purchases hasn't changed, so it's still only code redemption that's been extended here.

Last edited:
Top Bottom