• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: The 3DS eshop closes down for good in less than two weeks!

Patrick S.

Banned
I guess now is a good time to sell my set of Gateway cards I still have laying around in a drawer...

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Yeah, if you don't want the developers to get paid for their work.

I mean I think the point is you cant actually give the developers money after this shuts down. All physical products have already been sold, so if you buy a copy from a retailer that's not giving money to the dev because the retailer already paid for the copy when they bought the stock in the first place.

shutting the store down essentially means that all 3DS titles sold from now on no longer result in money going to the developer but instead exchange through numerous third parties hands which would have zero impact on future game development, opening the door for the prior comment.

Last edited:

RCU005

Ever since the PS3, I’ve thought that in these cases, they should allow us to store every game into an external storage and be able to play them.

In the case of 3DS, I don’t know if it has memory stick slot, but for all other consoles, I think that should be the way to go. You keep your games stored and you can play them whenever you want.

On the other hand, people are complaining that you won’t be able to get games anymore and that you should pirate them, etc. but in reality it has been like that forever. There are so many games that you can’t get anymore, not even used.

It’s the same with every product. It gets discontinued and it’s either very hard to get, very expensive or outright impossible.

Last edited:
A couple highlights going on right now with Capcom:

Phoenix Wright Trilogy - 2.99
Phoenix Wright Dual Destinies - 2.99
Phoenix Wright Spirit of Justice - 2.99
MegaMan Legacy Collection - 2.99
Resident Evil Revelations - 2.99
Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate - 2.99
Monster Hunter Generations - 2.99

I don't even like digital all that much, rarely buy digital. But for 3 dollars, yeah I'll pick up Phoenix Wright collection on 3DS just to have it there even though I have the DS carts.
More companies should do this fire sale at the end, they'd get more money from me. I'd pick up all kinds of things.

I agree with others - they should just keep the shop up. How much could it possibly cost and still have some money rolling in from time to time - or at least for the customer to have faith. This is one of the reasons I don't really believe in digital as a serious medium for stuff. I'm 95%+ physical. Most digital stuff I get is for convenience when it's on super sale or occasional PC game.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

I don't even like digital all that much, rarely buy digital. But for 3 dollars, yeah I'll pick up Phoenix Wright collection on 3DS just to have it there even though I have the DS carts.
More companies should do this fire sale at the end, they'd get more money from me. I'd pick up all kinds of things.

I agree with others - they should just keep the shop up. How much could it possibly cost and still have some money rolling in from time to time - or at least for the customer to have faith. This is one of the reasons I don't really believe in digital as a serious medium for stuff. I'm 95%+ physical. Most digital stuff I get is for convenience when it's on super sale or occasional PC game.
Not in Europe, WTF Capcom! :messenger_loudly_crying:

stranno

How easy is it to play backups on 3DS/WiiU?
Very easy. Nowadays you don't need anything for the 3DS or the Wii U, just the console and the SD card.

Wii U has tons of system flaws, and probably even more yet to be released, including the classic Webkit-JS entry-point, you don't even need a DSiWare game to make the exploit/IOSU-patches semi-permanent, like in the CBHC days. 3DS still has the classic DSiWare exploit, but since an entry-point through the DS Internet Setting was discovered, DSiWare exploitable games are no longer required.

Both consoles are completely future-proof from Nintendo closing the eShop.

He could have the current complete eShop (probably not, since there are lots of games that have the DLCs locked behind progression, menus and so on), but definitely not the entire all-time library, since lots of games have been delisted in the past.

I mean, it's fine, but I see no reason of doing that if you are not gonna help the preservation effort. Other than making this video.

And NUS servers will be closed eventually, maybe not in another 10 years (Wii NUS servers are still active), but some day.

Last edited:
I know, there's already been a few videos in this thread.

But I wanted to make a guide for us Euro-bros specifically - some people might not know, that we lose even more games than other regions.

OuterLimits

Several Etrian Odyssey games with a heavy discount(4€) atm in Europe. Same with Persona Q 1 for 4€. I've heard that the Untold versions of Etrian Odyssey won't be the ones that will be in the HD remasters later this year.

The Untold games are awesome, so I was massively disappointed when I learned the HD remasters aren't the Untold versions. Granted, Etrian 3 never got an Untold release, but they certainly could have released the first two. Feels like a massive downgrade to play the original versions again.

I ended up spending a small fortune the other day buying the DLC for Fire Emblem Fates and Echoes.

hemo memo

Gold Member

Sorry Jirard, your explanation of “why” in the video is not enough. At first I thought you went to buy every Nintendo published game but buy ALL games in the Wii U/3DS is just not a good investment no matter how you look at it. Game preservation because publishers put the effort? Sorry but you are mostly buying cheap crap that is not worth preserving. It would have been a better idea to buy all Nintendo published games and/or all recommendations receives from fans/friends this way at least you can preserve games that are worth preserving rather than cheap efforts.

MMaRsu

Banned
Can you brick 3dsxl when going to custom firmware? And how would you get the games if the store has been shuttered? I bought five great games digitally last night but still worried

Patrick S.

Banned
Can you brick 3dsxl when going to custom firmware? And how would you get the games if the store has been shuttered? I bought five great games digitally last night but still worried
It's almost impossible to brick the 3DS while hacking it. Just follow the instructions carefully.

The second question I dunno. You should probably back everything up.

graywolf323

Gold Member
That Dragon Quest VII DLC is some BS. Could I download a completed save download the DLC and then enjoy the extra content later on when I find time to play the game?
from what I’ve heard saves are encrypted but you might be able to using custom firmware but then you probably can’t access eShop to buy the DLC 😑

StereoVsn

Most likely the reason to pack it up is not just operating costs but security considerations. It's very hard to make these old backend systems protected since the client (ie 3DS) can't handle new security protocols.

And overall sales on the platform are likely to be small enough it's just not worth maintaining. Hopefully at least downloads would stay.

And yes, the Capcom sale is great. Resident Evil Mercenaries is also pretty good game for $3.

Oh and Shovel Night is on sale as well, great fit for 3DS as well as Steam Dig games.

Most likely the reason to pack it up is not just operating costs but security considerations. It's very hard to make these old backend systems protected since the client (ie 3DS) can't handle new security protocols.

And overall sales on the platform are likely to be small enough it's just not worth maintaining. Hopefully at least downloads would stay.

And yes, the Capcom sale is great. Resident Evil Mercenaries is also pretty good game for $3.

Oh and Shovel Night is on sale as well, great fit for 3DS as well as Steam Dig games.

I considered getting Mercenaries, is it the same thing as was in Re4? You're probably right regarding the security structure.

dave_d

I've got to ask. Are the extra for Monster Hunter 4 ultimate and Monster Hunter Generations on the 3ds shop are are those being hosted by Capcom themselves? When hit the options to do dlc on those games I never saw anything about my Nintendo login. Plus I didn't see anything about a charge but I didn't download too much of them.

GMCamaro

The Virtual Console system was very nice and, although limited in selection, the fact that you could legally purchase big titles from previous generations and play them on your current console was pretty awesome.

Unfortunately, I don’t believe Nintendo will go back to letting their customers make a one time purchase and digitally own a previous generation game anymore. I have a feeling the company is set on subscription based access to an increasingly shallow selection of legacy games.

As for the future of being able to purchase and play DS and 3DS games, well, I have a sinking feeling that fans of those systems will be left behind by Nintendo.

Leonidas

Glad there are games I want on sale, but it seems tedious to add funds to my account.

Seems that there is no way to add funds if I only have a 3DS and Wii U, is this correct?

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Glad there are games I want on sale, but it seems tedious to add funds to my account.

Seems that there is no way to add funds if I only have a 3DS and Wii U, is this correct?
Buy an eshop digital code on Amazon (or wherever), then you can choose redeem a code on the Nintendo website or on your 3DS/Wii U and the funds will be available.

Alternatively if you link your account to the Nintendo.com account like you do for Switch - you can "merge" the funds with your Switch so it's available globally on any linked device. That's how I did it, added funds with Switch/Nintendo.com and used it to 3DS stuff, remainder was available on Switch. For me it was done in a few clicks and painless, since I have a card setup for Nintendo already.

Last edited:

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

Just go to the nintendo site on your PC or phone and login and pay with a credit card there.

angrod14

Ever since the PS3, I’ve thought that in these cases, they should allow us to store every game into an external storage and be able to play them.

In the case of 3DS, I don’t know if it has memory stick slot, but for all other consoles, I think that should be the way to go. You keep your games stored and you can play them whenever you want.

On the other hand, people are complaining that you won’t be able to get games anymore and that you should pirate them, etc. but in reality it has been like that forever. There are so many games that you can’t get anymore, not even used.

It’s the same with every product. It gets discontinued and it’s either very hard to get, very expensive or outright impossible.
I don't understand, the shop closing means you won't be able to purchase content moving forward, but it doesn't mean that content that has already been purchased will not be able to be redownloaded. Why would you want and external storage solution if you can just download it from the cloud indefinetely at your leisure?

If what you want is to storage your games yourself for archival purposes, the you should just go physical.

Last edited:

RCU005

but it doesn't mean that content that has already been purchased will not be able to be redownloaded

I didn’t know that. I thought you wouldn’t be able to access the content at all. Still, I think letting people download everything would be great.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Isn't there millions of 3ds out there in active use? Doesn't it seem odd that Nintendo would close this shop? I mean what does it cost really to keep up, pennies vs at least some sales? Maybe just hardly anyone on the store......

Ulysses 31

iu

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs
Isn't there millions of 3ds out there in active use? Doesn't it seem odd that Nintendo would close this shop? I mean what does it cost really to keep up, pennies vs at least some sales? Maybe just hardly anyone on the store......
Especially since there isn't a virtual console on the Switch. Once this closes, there is no way to PURCHASE the old NES and SNES games. They are probably trying to push people towards the stupid Nintendo Switch Online. Nothing is wrong with a subscription service but all of the other ones (PS Plus and Gamepass) allow you to also purchase the games. NSO does not.

Fired up my four different 3ds' last night to update and check out the store. My 2 3ds xl's fired right up with full battery despite not being touched for a year and a half or more. These things are really something.

Not sure if I'll buy anything , maybe Shovel Knight. I have what I want with physical games.

StereoVsn

Fired up my four different 3ds' last night to update and check out the store. My 2 3ds xl's fired right up with full battery despite not being touched for a year and a half or more. These things are really something.

Not sure if I'll buy anything , maybe Shovel Knight. I have what I want with physical games.
Wait, you can have more then one 3DS linked to Nintendo ID??? Mind blown.

No , I just have 1 that I downloaded any games for I think . The other 3 are just for multiplayer stuff or preference. But I was just amazed they fired up with a full battery after close to 2 years in storage.

BlakeofT

I completed my collection of the Ace Attorney games. I needed Apollo Justice and Spirit of Justice. Also got the DLC case for Dual Destinies.

Culdecept Revolt too.

Only other games I want are Detective Pikachu, Radiant Hisotria and Xenoblade Chronicles X for Wii U. None are on sale and too expensive full price. Physical copies cost way too much too. Hoping that XCX gets a Switch port, or, even better, a remaster.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I made a list of games I want to have and started playing some of it and this is a cool little system. I probably didn’t appreciate it enough over the years but it has a lot of games big and small. Rhythm Heaven is a masterpiece and Boxboy is tremendous. I have to be one of the last 10 people on earth who think the 3D effect is really awesome.

Last edited:
Does this really matter, at least for those of us who plan to pirate or emulate everything?
No. I mean it’s nice to support the devs, but I’m not going to stress out about what to buy or not to buy now. Even just getting funds onto the store seems like chore.

BlakeofT

I made a list of games I want to have and started playing some of it and this is a cool little system. I probably didn’t appreciate it enough over the years but it has a lot of games big and small. Rhythm Heaven is a masterpiece and Boxboy is tremendous. I have to be one of the last 10 people on earth who think the 3D effect is really awesome.
Ah dangit you reminded me that I also want Rhythm Heaven and the third Box Boy. Rhythm Heaven probably isn't happening for me since it's cost, and I've played all the previous games. But Box Boy is super cheap so I'll be picking that one up today!

diffusionx

Gold Member
Ah dangit you reminded me that I also want Rhythm Heaven and the third Box Boy. Rhythm Heaven probably isn't happening for me since it's cost, and I've played all the previous games. But Box Boy is super cheap so I'll be picking that one up today!
i bought a bunch of stuff when the shutdown was first announced and RH was on there. But yea, it's tough because the 3DS really did have a lot of great titles and it's just a shame that they're going to be much harder if not impossible to acquire legally in about 4 days.

I am surprised there aren't more fire sales honestly. Like, price it at $10 why not.

Last edited:
Top Bottom