• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: "The Final Hours of Portal 2" [Now On Steam For PC/Mac]

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Akia said:
Yeah, Gabe's really stressed about the next 5 years. Also Geoff's speculation that "Portal 2 will probably be Valve's last game with an isolated single player experience" is scary.
Hmm, haven't gotten that far. Damnit, now I have to stop what I'm doing and finish the thing. :p

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Oh, the haters in this thread.

Just started checking the app now. Looks pretty interesting.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
anyone who thinks geoff doesn't have a text version of this on his hard drive already is crazy.
never buying this on principle. guess i'll just never know how they made portal 2.

Forkball

Q: I don’t have an iPad. Will The Final Hours of Portal 2 ever be available to read on the web or other platforms?

A: While I don’t have any announcements to make at this time, I am exploring ways to make the story available on more platforms in the near future.
I love this part of the FAQ. "Exploring ways to make the story available." I've got a way, it's called posting it on the fucking internet. This is obviously just a cash-grab to take advantage of the Portal 2 hype right now.

Forkball said:
I love this part of the FAQ. "Exploring ways to make the story available." I've got a way, it's called posting it on the fucking internet. This is obviously just a cash-grab to take advantage of the Portal 2 hype right now.

Complain about Economist and FT apps which require subscription. Complain about every other magazine, which you must buy to enjoy the content. This is like saying New York Times journalist XYZ is NOT ALLOWED to publish a book, because no matter what he writes about it should already be in NYT.

Htown said:
anyone who thinks geoff doesn't have a text version of this on his hard drive already is crazy.

But the app is not just plain text. It has multimedia elements, some of which are interactive.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Forkball said:
Why do people feel like Geoff shouldn't be allowed to profit from his work at all? I'm just curious.

gdt

I'd love to read this, but I can't right now. Hoping it's available elsewhere, soon.

And Geoff should absolutely be able to profit from this, it seems pretty comprehensive, he should be rewarded/recoup his losses.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Haha, that picture of Gabe in the ApSci get-up is great.

Jeep Barnett (ND team, left) looks like he just woke up.

Edit: I wish I had an iPad right now.

Carl said:
Yep, i fail, i missed the word "why" from the beginning of that sentance. Shit.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :p

Baha

chubigans said:
Why do people feel like Geoff shouldn't be allowed to profit from his work at all? I'm just curious.

He can and I'm sure plenty of people would pay for it if it didn't require them to own an ipad. That said, I'm still waiting for a pdf or interactive flash app I can read on my PC. And yes, I would pay for either one.

Emitan

Castor Krieg said:
But the app is not just plain text. It has multimedia elements, some of which are interactive.
I remember owning something like that. It was called Encarta '98. It's possible to create interactive media without an iPad. You're on a freaking videogame message board! It's filled with people who enjoy interactive media, most of which don't own iPads.

Massa

chubigans said:

Some people think they're entitled to have everything for free. If only the thread title made it clear it was iPad-only... oh wait.

I was going to make this thread, but i decided not to. Thanks for taking one for the team, I didn't want to make it because of the shear amount of entitlement in the other thread.

JaseC

Billychu said:
I remember owning something like that. It was called Encarta '98. It's possible to create interactive media without an iPad. You're on a freaking videogame message board! It's filled with people who enjoy interactive media, most of which don't own iPads.

Didn't that have a game in which you wandered around a castle for some reason and through each door you were greeted with a random question derived from the knowledge in Encarta? That game was awesome.

Edit: My family got its first proper PC in '96 or '97, so it might not have been present in '98.

The app is fantastic. I'd be more than happy to pay the price again to get more in depth pieces like this that represent proper journalism.

Akia

captscience said:
The app is fantastic. I'd be more than happy to pay the price again to get more in depth pieces like this that represent proper journalism.

Yep, we need a "The Finals Hours of BioShock Infinite" stat!

Releasing this on Steam is a great idea.

Datwheezy

Unconfirmed Member
Some of you are ridiculous. I don't own an iPad, and want to read the article, but understand why it currently is iPad only. Hopefully like it has already been mentioned, he releases an interactive flash version, because I'd love to see all the intereactive elements of it.

The fuck is with people complaining about it being an iPad app?

If it was an article in a magazine people wouldn't be complaining about it being exclusive to one thing.

geoffmk

Geoff Keighley
Glad you guys dig the app. Yes, it is definitely coming to other platforms -- and very soon. Thanks for your patience.

As to why I had to charge for the app, it cost quite a lot of money to put together. Professional photographers, programmers and designers all had to be hired. Right now I'm just trying to break even on my expenses. There is no advertising/marketing in the App, so the only way to recoup expenses is to charge a nominal amount for it.

notworksafe

snoopeasystreet said:

If it was an article in a magazine people wouldn't be complaining about it being exclusive to one thing.
Well a magazine only costs $5-6, fwiw. That's probably why there would be less complaining.

Either way, I'm interested in seeing this but will wait for it to be released in another format. A possible Steam download is a good idea.

JaseC

snoopeasystreet said:

The iPad exclusivity is what's causing the outrage, and I'm sure I don't have to tell that the magazine comparison is utterly ridiculous. One is a several-hundred dollar device and the other a few bucks.

notworksafe said:
Well a magazine only costs $5-6, fwiw. That's probably why there would be less complaining.

Either way, I'm interested in seeing this but will wait for it to be released in another format. A possible Steam download is a good idea.

But then it would more than likely be exclusive to one region. An app make sense in terms of global distribution and that the money we pay (sans apple's cut) goes straight to Geoff.

Emitan

Detox said:
Can't Geoff release it on Steam like the guides available on there now?
That's all I'm asking for. I obviously haven' seen the app, but I doubt there's anyone on GAF who wouldn't be able to run it (unless they were on Linux). I fully support him selling the damn thing, I just wish it wasn't in one of the most exclusive ways available.

Oreoleo

captscience said:

Yup, this is the big thing for me. You could probably count the number of real video games journalists (ie, not IGN review monkeys) on one hand, so I have no problem supporting someone who is trying to do something genuine in that field.

Carl

chubigans said:

He can profit on it if he wants. I don't care. But it'd be nice to have the opportunity to read it. He could charge for the PDF. I'd buy it. I don't see why he couldn't have made it as a PDF first than then made it for iPad afterwards. Surely it'd make more sense to make it for the larger audience first?

JaseC said:
Didn't that have a game in which you wandered around a castle for some reason and through each door you were greeted with a random question derived from the knowledge in Encarta? That game was awesome.

Edit: My family got its first proper PC in '96 or '97, so it might not have been present in '98.

Loved that game

sflufan

Banned
I will GLADLY pay as much for this as I did for "Raising the Bar" in 2004 ($20 or so) once it's released in a non-Apple format.

Oreoleo

Carl said:
He can profit on it if he wants. I don't care. But it'd be nice to have the opportunity to read it. He could charge for the PDF. I'd buy it. I don't see why he couldn't have made it as a PDF first than then made it for iPad afterwards. Surely it'd make more sense to make it for the larger audience first?

Really? You don't see why he's putting it on a mostly closed ecosystem first? The second he makes it a .pdf for PC it'll get uploaded to whatever torrent/megaupload site and half the people in here claiming they'd pay for it would go off and download it like everything is right as rain.

Adding it in some form of in game Portal 2 DLC would be neat with the interactive elements. No iPad here. Would have purchased it asap if I did.

StuBurns

Banned
Orellio said:
Really? You don't see why he's putting it on a mostly closed ecosystem first? The second he makes it a .pdf for PC it'll get uploaded to whatever torrent/megaupload site and half the people in here claiming they'd pay for it would go off and download it like everything is right as rain.
The OP has screengrabs, surely it's possible to pirate it already as a pdf.

Alex

I'd def chip in for a PDF or iPhone version. It looks like a really great piece of work, makes me wish I had an iPad as it seems really well formated to it, but I just wouldn't get enough use from one, sadly.

Oreoleo

StuBurns said:
The OP has screengrabs, surely it's possible to pirate it already as a pdf.

You would have to screen grab every individual page. Sync your iPad to iTunes to get the screenshots, and then stitch all 100 pages or whatever into a PDF program. And then you lose all the interactive elements that make the app kind of awesome. I see what you're saying but they aren't really the same things at all.

StuBurns

Banned
Orellio said:
You would have to screen grab every individual page. Sync your iPad to iTunes to get the screenshots, and then stitch all 100 pages or whatever into a PDF program. And then you lose all the interactive elements that make the app kind of awesome. I see what you're saying but they aren't really the same things at all.
I'm not saying it's the same thing, or even worth doing, but I bet someone has done it. I want the full thing with the interactivity personally, if it stays on iPad that's a shame for me, but it's his call.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
I dig this behind the scenes stuff so much, no ipad but on any other medium id pay a decent amount for it.

Awesome stuff Geoff :D

Twig

Banned
This is a cool idea.

Yet another reason I want to cave in and get an iPad. But I will not submit! NEVER!

Forkball

Castor Krieg said:
Complain about Economist and FT apps which require subscription. Complain about every other magazine, which you must buy to enjoy the content. This is like saying New York Times journalist XYZ is NOT ALLOWED to publish a book, because no matter what he writes about it should already be in NYT.
The Economist also has a free app which gives you six or so stories each week. And there's a big difference between paying for a magazine subscription and paying for one story.

chubigans said:
I never said that. And it's not likes he doesn't get paid when he writes. I just don't want this to become a trend. "Wanna read my exclusive interview with Valve about Half-Life 2 Episode 3? Well you can... only on your iPad for $3!"

StuBurns

Banned
Don't blame Geoff, want to blame someone for the charge it's Valve giving exclusive access to someone who's charging.

The HL2 final hours article was awesome, I'd have happily paid for it.

If someone wants to do one of these things about LMNO, get EA to give out assets and stuff, that'd be incredible.

Top Bottom