• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Tomb Raider (PSN-DD version) does not have online-only DRM

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
SE have just been in touch on this - there's no DRM. Will update with full story shortly.

Update: http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/03...erence-was-an-error-no-psn-connection-needed/

Credit to LittleToaster

Warning about Tomb Raider:
It has the strict DRM that forces you to log in to PSN before playing it.

From the details:

Purchase or use of this item is subject to the PlayStation®Network Terms of Service and User Agreement and this item's use restrictions. This item has been sublicensed to you by Sony Computer Entertainment America. One-time license fee for downloads to up to 2 console systems that are associated with the purchasing account. No more than one activated PS3 system within a 24 hour period. Content may not be used by any other account. You must sign in to PSN each time you start the game.

Tomb Raider is the new Final Fight Double Impact. Some people might think this is no issue, but remember that PSN does have frequent maintenance periods. You won't be able to play the game when PSN goes down, even in single player. If it's like Final Fight, it only requires Internet connection when you launch the game. Most likely to combat gameshare, but seems very inconvenient for legitimate users.

At least this time, they made note of it in the terms on the product page. But I know many people (almost everyone) don't read it, so I thought you guys should know about it before opting for a digital version of the game.

Aren't you able to sign into PSN most of the time during maintenance?

Actually this is true, but you have sign into the service recently before maintenance for you to sign on. It depends on the type of maintenance though

Wow, then I'm actually glad that gamestop.com is taking fucking forever to send me the PSN codes I bought for this. However, that also means that I've already spent the money. Guess I'll be skipping the game for now.

Good job asshats.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Aren't you able to sign into PSN most of the time during maintenance?

Actually this is true, but you have sign into the service recently before maintenance for you to sign on. It depends on the type of maintenance though

Toki767

It was Square Enix's choice to implement this. I guess they probably thought the amount of people that would want to buy it digitally aren't huge enough to make a big noise about DRM.

whitehawk

Banned
What I'm scared most about always-online games is game preservation. What would you do if you wanted to play this game, SimCity, or Diablo 3 15-20 years from now? I highly doubt the servers you would have to connect to would be online.

Mik_Pad

Banned
It was Square Enix's choice to implement this. I guess they probably thought the amount of people that would want to buy it digitally aren't huge enough to make a big noise about DRM.
And this prevents PSN game sharing to some extent.

Edit: No more than one activated PS3 system within a 24 hour period. Content may not be used by any other account

Fuck this, does this means I can't share the game with others in the same console?

Vamphuntr

What I'm scared most about always-online games is game preservation. What would you do if you wanted to play this game, SimCity, or Diablo 3 15-20 years from now? I highly doubt the servers you would have to connect to would be online.

They can always patch out the DRM before the network goes down... If they care enough at that point.

nikos

This doesn't bother me at all. My PS3 is always connected to the internet. In the rare occasion that it wouldn't be, I'd be OK not being able to play a game.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Why is everyone acting like this was just invented?

It's not used frequently I guess...I already mentioned FF has done it before, I think you can count the number of titles on 1 hand that contain this DRM though. So I'm not surprised that people aren't aware of it

SOCOM Confrontation, Warhawk, Final Fight, Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 I think?

whitehawk

Banned
They can always patch out the DRM before the network goes down... If they care enough at that point.
But what about the case of physical games that require always online? Say you bought Diablo 3 from a flea market 20 years from now. The patch wouldn't be on the disc. What then?

Snaku

Banned

Simple, you buy the new Super HD 10k re-re-release.

It's clear that these publishers are now in the business of selling you the same old shit in as many different ways, and as many times, as they can going forward.

This game? At least the PC version has you covered with the Steam offline mode. If Steam ever gets fucked, you can at least crack your purchased game.

SimCity + Diablo 3 = You're fucked.

Toki767

It's not used frequently I guess...I already mentioned FF has done it before, I think you can count the number of titles on 1 hand that contain this DRM though. So I'm not surprised that people aren't aware of it

SOCOM Confrontation, Warhawk, Final Fight, Bionic Commando Rearmed 2 I think?

NBA 2K13 as well.

It's clear that these publishers are now in the business of selling you the same old shit in as many different ways, and as many times, as they can going forward.
To be fair, Square Enix has always been that way.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
This is really disappointing. I was literally waiting to get home tonight to download it, it was supposed to be my first "D1D" purchase. How unfortunate. This is not the type of DD that deserve to be embraced or rewarded.

Toki767

You can't even gameshare with people in the same household who want to earn their own trophies. This type of DRM is pretty bad.

MormaPope

Banned
What an awesome meta puzzle, the solution to playing a single player game is to always have internet! That's the best puzzle in Tomb Raider I've heard about.

Top Bottom