• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSA: Tomb Raider (PSN-DD version) does not have online-only DRM

I don't think it says Online only DRM. Has it been verified that we are kicked out of game if the Internet disconnects or it we sign out from XMB, after signing in to play it?

btkadams

i feel like i can feel some tiny morsel of understanding for online-drm on pc (although i am still against it), but what is the point of doing it on ps3? is there really THAT MUCH piracy? you're just being an asshole to your customers.

Bigjelly

Banned
It was Square Enix's choice to implement this. I guess they probably thought the amount of people that would want to buy it digitally aren't huge enough to make a big noise about DRM.

They don't care about your preservation.. Also I would hope that before they close down servers or whatever they put out a final patch to remove the checks..

A bit suprised so many are okay with this. Do none of you travel? Still lots of hotels that don't offer free Internet (or shaky Internet, or no Internet at all), but have an HDTV for you to hook up to. Whenever possible, this DRM should be avoided on consoles.

bebop242

If that is the case there isn't an L O L big enough.

Yea, kinda surprised there is not as much anger about the account locking as there is to the online requirement.

It boggles my mind that the only version they restrict is the one they make the most money off of.

btkadams

A bit suprised so many are okay with this. Do none of you travel? Still lots of hotels that don't offer free Internet (or shaky Internet, or no Internet at all), but have an HDTV for you to hook up to. Whenever possible, this DRM should be avoided on consoles.

ok, i hate always-online-drm, but....do you really think it is at all common to bring a ps3 when travelling and set it up in a hotel?

Yea, kinda surprised there is not as much anger about the account locking as there is to the online requirement.

It boggles my mind that the only version they restrict is the one they make the most money off of.

Amazes me too. That is really the only reason I buy games on console; so my kids and wife can play as well. If they are locking it to accounts then there is no reason whatsoever to buy these games anywhere else but pc.

I've found 2 different posts from 2 people who have bought the game online. Both say that they didn't have to log in to PSN to play Tomb Raider

Post #1 on CAG (Link)
So I ended up buying Tomb Raider digitally on the PSN and I then heard that 1) there is DRM and you have to sign in to play the game and 2) you can only play the game on a single account.

From what I can see so far though this isn't true.

The wording is right there plain as day on the sony store site. When you go into the details for the game it states: "Content may not be used by any other account". and also "You must sign in to PSN each time you start the game".

Well as far as I can tell these lines are simply not true, at least for the single player portion of the game. I am signed out of the PSN and I am currently using a different account than the one it was purchased on (same console however) and had no issue starting up the game in single player. There's also a line that says: "No more than one activated PS3 system within a 24 hour period". I have not tested this but could it be that this is also false?

Just wanted people to know because it is a very good game that should be played, and hopefully this DRM is not as bad as it appears to be.

Now this could still be setting us up for the future obviously, in which case all I have to say is ARRRRR!

Edit: There is a scrolling text on the title screen which says "You are not connected to Playstation Network. Please connect to Playstation Network to access online features, or visit www.tombraider.com". Again though, it doesn't stop me at all as far as I can see from playing the only worthwhile part of the game.

Post #2 on Something Awful forums
(Link to post, behind a paywall)
How does the DRM work? Because I just loaded up Tomb Raider from my main account (as in not logged into the share account) and it booted up fine. I even started up a new game and the opening cut scene appeared to work fine. I was under the impression you had to be logged into the share account to play. My share partner hasn't finished the download yet so we'll know for sure in a second but maybe the fine print was a misprint or something? I'm probably jumping the gun here but the fact that it let me start it up from my main account has me naively hopeful.

Edit: It also appears I can start the game without being logged into PSN at all.

(Link to post, behind a paywall)
So my Tomb Raider share partner got his installed and also started up just fine from his main account while I had my copy started up from my main account. It should be noted neither of us has really done anything in the game, so maybe some shenanigans will happen down the road but that DRM message appears to not have any teeth.

Also, the description for the game on PlayStation Store no longer has text describing the strict DRM. This is what is says now:
Purchase or use of this item is subject to the PlayStation®Network Terms of Service and User Agreement and this item's use restrictions. This item has been sublicensed to you by Sony Computer Entertainment America. One-time license fee for downloads to up to 2 console systems that are associated with the purchasing account.

update: from story posted by nofi:
Wrong info was submitted by Square Enix, which caused the DRM disclaimer to show up. The game never had the strict DRM.

CRISIS AVERTED

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I've found 2 different posts from 2 people who have bought the game online. Both say that they didn't have to log in to PSN to play Tomb Raider
That's a relief. And now we know who is against consumers on GAF as well. A very successful thread all around.

Eusis

IT WAS ALL FOR NOTHING!
Hilariously. And thankfully.

I wonder if the "only one system activation per 24 hours" is true? Well, if the rest isn't or is a minor technicality (YOU'RE MISSING ONLINE FUNCTIONALITY MAN! But sure play it alone or whatever) then that's relatively benign, though it does sound more like it's straight up mislabeled. Or they failed to apply it like they thought they would have, but hopefully that doesn't get "fixed" especially after this backlash.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
LOL. The PS Store team's incompetence strikes again.

Problem?
1099684-grace_chen_large.jpg

BibiMaghoo

Wow, this murders gamesharing DD titles with friends.

I guess that's kinda fair enough.

No.
Wait.
It is not.

That means other accounts on your PS3 cannot play the game. That is bullshit.

Toki767

Good to hear that the DRM isn't actually there. I do think someone might have just screwed up with the implementation though.

Boss Man

The question now has to be, why did that pop up in the description. Do any other games on PSN currently behave this way? Is it accidental foreshadowing?

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
The question now has to be, why did that pop up in the description. Do any other games on PSN currently behave this way? Is it accidental foreshadowing?
They introduced the DRM with Warhawk back in 07 and since then only a handful of games have ever actually used it and some have had it removed post launch (Warhawk). It was a probably a misunderstanding/accident by the team that handles the store.

abrack08

Hope the actual OP gets updated soon so more people don't just read that then post:

Wow, this murders gamesharing DD titles with friends.

I guess that's kinda fair enough.

No.
Wait.
It is not.

That means other accounts on your PS3 cannot play the game. That is bullshit.

So... anyone from GAF has bite the bullet yet and can confirm/deny the "must be online to play single player" thing?

Top Bottom