• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSGroove - A variety of options for jailbreaking, and new homebrew all the time

Killthee

helped a brotha out on multiple separate occasions!
Just came out.

http://github.com/psgroove/psgroove // http://ps3wiki.lan.st // AT90USB Windows flashing guide // PSFreedom (N900) // PSFreedom (Palm Pre) // PSFreedom (Nexus One) // PSFreedom (Droid) // PSGroove (TI-84) // PSGroove (iPod 5th Gen - Rockbox)

This is the PSGroove, an open-source reimplementation of the psjailbreak exploit for AT90USB and related microcontrollers.

It should work on:

* AT90USB162
* AT90USB646
* AT90USB647
* AT90USB1286
* AT90USB1287
* ATMEGA32U4

... and maybe more.

This software is not intended to enable piracy, and such features have been disabled. This software is intended to allow the execution of unsigned third-party apps and games on the PS3.

20100901-8t1rinuww8iriucfrynqqd8e9f.jpg
20100901-eum7k92kep6wdin4g7ykyu52jy.jpg

More info here: http://github.com/psgroove/psgroove/blob/master/README.md

xclaw

Now this is something I'm interested in, time to figure out where to buy these dongles.

Beth Cyra

Eh will wait for the Backup version. Well unless they unlock region coding on PS2 then that would actually be more importantt then installing my PS3 games to the harddrive.

Amazing lol. Reverse engineered before one is even sold to the public lol hahaha. These guys are great, releasing it without any cost and disabling the backup manager option. The next few months should be mighty interesting.

Rhindle

That's cool, although I don't know that many people will want to mess with microcontroller programming in order to save a few bucks over a commercial clone.

I guess this will help propagate modding though, since any mom n' pop electronics store will be able to make their own USB sticks.

Killthee

BladeoftheImmortal said:
So, I thought the backup manager was software anyway, can't you just re-DL it from the PSjailbreak site and run it?
It looks like the backup manager expects a certain path to be in the dongle code that is purposely missing from Groove.

@Ho01iGaN We wont be enabling the /dev_bdvd/ mount path patch the backup manager uses for various reasons, so no it wont work as-is

This will be patched back in by someone else rather soon.

Beth Cyra

Pandaman said:
yay for backups = piracy!

wait, that doesnt sound right...

I don't think they are saying that, just they want to get this out to the public as soon as possible while also fighting agianst piracy in their own way.

Cool really, still won't be getting it till I can install my games though.

Phreak47

He also noted that the dongle can be removed once it is activated... psjailbreak people intentionally added code to make it crash if it was removed, heh... so they removed that. Gee, I guess so you couldn't share the hack with the other PS3 in your house? Buy two instead?

graywolf323

Gold Member
so wait does it still requires the usb dongle that costs over $100?

I'll wait until that's not required and I can still play backups of my games

Phreak47

graywolf323 said:

No, it's a $20-$30 device.

Killthee

graywolf323 said:

The dongle is just a board with a AT90USB chip. You can buy one for ~$20.

Noshino

Now this is console hacking that I can support! :D

CryptiK said:
Opens source... hmm soon enough the piracy part will be enabled again.

If these guys are looking to keep things clean as they claim they are and actually stand by their words, then the actual pirates will stand out, which would be great!

Thunderbear

Mawio Gawaxy iz da Wheeson hee pways games
I would still like to keep my PS3 games on my HDD without the need to go up and change discs (as well as the improved loading times).

I'm a legit buyer, but just like storing my movies for easy access I like storing my games for easy access.

I understand that opens up piracy, but at this point I think it's inevitable and each person will have to let their conscience decide. Just like in the PS2 days, Xbox days, Xbox360 days (easy to get backup capable consoles (play DVD backups only, not store on HDD), not as easy to get the JTAG consoles that allow homebrew).

I buy my games but I want to be able to store them on the HDD (release more full on games digitally Sony! :) same day release as in stores).

Thunderbear said:
I would still like to keep my PS3 games on my HDD without the need to go up and change discs (as well as the improved loading times).
this. but I appreciate the effort and will get one of these too, most likely.

Beth Cyra

Noshino said:
Now this is console hacking that I can support! :D

If these guys are looking to keep things clean as they claim they are and actually stand by their words, then the actual pirates will stand out, which would be great!

Not really, you would still run into the problem of people like me waiting to get a version that can store content on the HDD.

Still though I think it is awesome that we saw the homebrew community do there best to weed out any piracy as much as they can.

thefit

Apparently the backup feature was removed by changing some code around that has now been reversed just like that, but its yet to be tested, not too many people have the dev boards yet to try it out but if true they could have a tried a bit harder

Beth Cyra

thefit said:
Apparently the backup feature was removed by changing some code around that has now been reversed just like that, but its yet to be tested, not too many people have the dev boards yet to try it out but if true they could have a tried a bit harder

That isn't fair, the fact that they disabled it in the first place was cool of them. As it stands it would have been over turned in a very quick manor no matter how much work they put into disableing it, any more would of been a simple waste of their time.

Phreak47

thefit said:

Ahh, heh, so rather than zero it out, they just scrambled a byte or two? Well, like I said... "within an hour". Haha

thefit

TruePrime said:
That isn't fair, the fact that they disabled it in the first place was cool of them. As it stands it would have been over turned in a very quick manor no matter how much work they put into disableing it, any more would of been a simple waste of their time.

Hackers not being fair......wtf are you on?

Beth Cyra

thefit said:
Hackers not being fair......wtf are you on?

I wasn't talking about the hackers, I was talking about you, they shouldn't of tried harder.

The fact is they did disable what would be important to pirates whlie also trying to get software/moding ablitiy to the homebrew community.

I don't think it is fair for us forum goers to mock the fact that they took the time to do it even though they would of gotten alot more coverage/hype or whatever by leaving in the one thing that would be important for alot of people.

So is it fair to say that most nobody will pay $130 for this device now that the code to make your own has been released and copycats selling the actual device are out there? Too bad for the original guys LOL

LovingSteam said:
So is it fair to say that most nobody will pay $130 for this device now that the code to make your own has been released and copycats selling the actual device are out there? Too bad for the original guys LOL

How many people do you think are canceling their orders right now? Resellers must be freaking out, particularly those that already have a large stock in hand already.

Beth Cyra

LovingSteam said:

Can't really say, as it stands I had a hard time setting up Wii Homebrew even though it is so easy, and I was one of those sods that thanked god for the CFW updater on PSP so if that is the only place that has the backup manager setup then I might bite.

As it stands though I would prefer not, I wouldn't want to have to buy another one later when/if the most important feature (PS2 Region Locking) to me comes out.

I approve of this. Even though it CAN lead to piracy, these guys disabled such features and didn't include the backup software. It's mighty noble of them.

Killthee

TruePrime said:
Can't really say, as it stands I had a hard time setting up Wii Homebrew even though it is so easy, and I was one of those sods that thanked god for the CFW updater on PSP so if that is the only place that has the backup manager setup then I might bite.

As it stands though I would prefer not, I wouldn't want to have to buy another one later when/if the most important feature (PS2 Region Locking) to me comes out.
The lines to change on the code to re-enable the BD mount path are already out, it's only a matter of time before someone with a dongle confirms the patch.

Beth Cyra

Killthee said:
The lines to change on the code to re-enable the BD mount path are already out, it's only a matter of time before someone with a dongle confirms the patch.

Well then no, I wouldn't spend 120 dollars on it. Like I said I was gun shy anyways because right now there is no sign of certain mods even being likely to happen.

Phreak47

Big One said:
So you can make any USB drive into a dongle now? Not sure what I'm understanding here.

No, it has to be one of the aforementioned programmable usb keys/boards that cost about $20.

But now that this code is out, we SHOULD see it get ported to the PSP, and possibly even Android/iPhone as truly free solutions for those that already own said devices.

I would like to see, hopefully soon, a homebrew that could quickly remove/re-add installed homebrew, so that it could be less scary to go in PSN in the early stage... point being, if homebrew is removable, the system can be "clean" again at any time we wish to use PSN without fear of banning.

commissar

>>>So you can make any USB drive into a dongle now? Not sure what I'm understanding here.

usb dongles merely store info, this requires a micro-processor to execute code onboard.

I've gone ahead and ordered a Teensy++ anyway as I'll be able to use it for a prototype project I'm working on, but I'd suggest waiting to see if this actually leads anywhere interesting before spending money on it (unless you're keen on backups lol)

Top Bottom