• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN canceling and refunding Fractured But Whole pre-orders

glaurung

Looks like PSN has lost patience with the new South Park game. As of early this morning, my pre-order for the second South Park game has been canceled and the money refunded into my wallet. I also received a separate email telling me the same thing. If you find unexpected money in your PSN wallet, that is probably the cause.

You get to keep the Stick of Truth for free.

I wonder what the holdup is with the new game. It looked pretty solid from all the demos they did six months ago.

Refund me when old.

Hjod

Banned
I knew it, I got an e-mail from Sony a while ago where they said it was possible to cancel my pre-order, I thought I couldn't cancel and keep Stick of Thruth. But hey I got SoT for free.

I mean.... The first game was great, but it went through a bit of a shit show in terms of its development history,publisher issues and just trey and matt getting slightly frustrated due to the scope.

Working with a new team and a now,likely more hands on Ubisoft is probably going to result in some issues.

Got an email from Xbox Live this morning saying it had cancelled my preorder as well, so not limited to PSN.

Hi there,
Thank you for shopping with us. Unfortunately, something unexpected went wrong on our end. We couldn't process these items in your order, and we've had to cancel them.

We truly apologize for the disruption. Please revisit the store and place an order again to receive your items.

Fermbiz

Gold Member
If the game is delayed, thats cool. Just dont please cancel it. I need The Fractured But Whole in my life.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
They already delayed it to December this year. Is this an additional delay?

The December dates are placeholders. The game has no firm date, only a vague window of FY 2018 (April 1st, 2017 -> March 31st, 2018), though Ubi announcing a new date by way of an E3 trailer is a distinct possibility.

If I were a capitalist conglomerate, I would keep the pre-order indefinitely. The only malicious reason to cancel a pre-order would be to charge people more for reinstating it.

That
Or
Since the game is delayed significantly i may not want even in the future, and canceling regular psn pre orders is a real task on its own

Worked out really well for me. Brother wanted the game so I preordered and he ended up playing stick of truth and enjoyed it with it being his first rpg game. He kind of lost interest in gaming so the refund saved me wasting money.

JPS Kai

If I were a capitalist conglomerate, I would keep the pre-order indefinitely. The only malicious reason to cancel a pre-order would be to charge people more for reinstating it.

I wonder if there's someone with a chart at Ubisoft that's rubbing their hands together with glee because they're seeing people place two or more preorders.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can still pre-order on the US store. So I can get the first one for free?

I imagine you'd have to wait a certain amount of time before Sony cancels the pre-order, in which case you run the risk of being stuck with it should Ubi provide an updated release date in the interim.

Spaghetti

Sigh .. should've stuck with Obsidian.
That might not have really changed anything if the issue is related to Trey Parker and Matt Stone reworking their contribution, or bloating the scope of the game. That's part of why Stick of Truth ended up being delayed even further and got reworked after Ubisoft purchased the rights after THQ tanked. The same mistakes could be happening again, or there could be friction developing between Ubisoft and South Park Studios that is holding up decision-making.

Of course, we'll probably never know what the exact holdup is in this case, but the game at least seemed mechanically and technically sound when looking at the Gamescom demo from last year.

Replicant

The December dates are placeholders. The game has no firm date, only a vague window of FY 2018 (April 1st, 2017 -> March 31st, 2018), though Ubi announcing a new date by way of an E3 trailer is a distinct possibility.

:( I thought it was weird that the figurine was shipped to me first.

Well, for what it's worth, I had a blast re-playing the Stick of Truth and can keep it.
Still, I was very hyped for a new Southpark RPG. :/

Doc_Drop

Yup,I cancelled my steam preorder as it was getting a bit silly. I'll happily get involved when it finally comes round, I have no doubt it'll be good when it's finally ready.

Lord Phol

Hope the game isn't in too much trouble, everything so far has been looking great and the first game was a blast.

Doc_Drop

I'd imagine one of the issues they face is making the game whilst keeping it relevant to the TV series as the development continues.

Mathieran

Banned
They refunded mine a couple weeks ago. Didn't know I could keep Stick of Truth though. I knew it was gonna get cancelled so I used it last month to help get the 15 off 100 spent.

The game hasn't been cancelled, only been severely delayed.

Yeah, I know. It just might as well be cancelled. I pre-ordered the game almost a year ago. My Platinum in "Stick of Truth" unlocked at 21st June 2016.
Every delay drew the game deeper into the backyards of my memory and initial hype turned into simple acknowledgement of the game's development. Luckily there is no shortage of good games right now. :)

blacklotus

Well, a couple of weeks ago the store that i work for in Portugal dropped the Fractured But Whole pre-order.

I thought that was a bit silly since a delay shouldn't really mean letting the pre-order go (for now), since you can still rack up orders, and i didn't get it.
Now this.

Gonna try and find more info (if there's any).

This game is clearly in development hell and Stick of Truth went through the same, but it all turned out really well there.
Hopefully a similar situation unfolds.

I'd imagine one of the issues they face is making the game whilst keeping it relevant to the TV series as the development continues.

TV show universe is pretty established.
I mean it's only been about 20 new eps since the last game.

Maybe it's Matt and Trey coming up with ever more crazy ideas or ensuring the game's jokes match with gameplay (which is a bitch according to a dev diary I watched).

Who knows really.

glaurung

Why is Stick of Truth not available separately ?

Right now you can't even get it sice pre-orders are gone.
They wanted it to be a great pre-order incentive. I think there was talk of Stick of Truth being sold separately on PS4, but only after the new game's release.

Justinh

I knew it, I got an e-mail from Sony a while ago where they said it was possible to cancel my pre-order, I thought I couldn't cancel and keep Stick of Thruth. But hey I got SoT for free.

I had a physical copy of the game preordered at the Ubisoft store because I wanted that 6 inch Coon statue to match the one that came with Stick of Truth (you can't buy that little statue separately like you can with the other ones they sell). The Ubisoft store clearly said that you cannot cancel any preorders and no refunds will be given.

Regardless, after asking for a refund when they new delay hit, they took like... a week but they still wrote back and said my order was cancelled and refunded my money. Kinda set my expectations pretty low on when it'll finally be coming out.

GLAMr

Remember when ATI bundled HL2 Steam codes with their graphics cards, bit the game didn't come out for another 2 years? Classic.

Top Bottom