• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN finally lets you purchase your PS+ Games

bitbydeath

And it's about damn time!

Game previously acquired through PS+

Game that was direct purchased

Gamerguy84

As long as your plus membership doesnt expire we can just download them again. Is this a reduced price or something?

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Still not possible on the web store, but it's cool that it's at least possible somehow

CamHostage

Yeah, I'm not fully understanding this thread. Why would I want to do that.

* You PS+'ed it, you forgot about it, you let your Plus lapse, and now you want to play it again but PS Store says you already have it even though your copy of it is expired.
* You PS+'ed it, it's a good offline multiplayer game, you again let your Plus dry up, and now a friend wants to play it with you but, again, PS Store says you can't have it.
* You had PS+ and you got one of your favorite games through it, but then you had money problems or your PS+ account got screwed over one month and it got canceled on you, and you lose access to your backlog... (Nope, shouldn't be a problem. If you lose PS+ for a month but then resubscribe, everything on PS+ is accessible once again.
* You get the Plus version for PS4 (or Vita?), the PS5 version comes out, but you don't have the "Complete" edition and for whatever reason the upgrade path isn't there, and you want to get the upgraded copy, but it says you have it just not a version compatible to upgrade and so you're in next-gen limbo (this one is a stretch... but also, the version control on PSN and I assume XBL/Steam/whatever is a mess and I've almost bout DLC or stuff before that I already had)

Basically, if you give up on PS+ or you for some reason have some PS+ problem, you need access to the store to get what you want. Previously, Plus counted as a purchase, and you could only own one copy of a digital product per account, so if your copy was under a PS+ purchase stipulation, you might have some problem getting a "clean copy".

(I was confused at first why this was a problem, but I've had some PS+ frustrations that I pretty much would have thrown money at if it made my problem go away, so I'm starting to get it.)

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Since PS+ was implemented I've never not been a member because I do online game, so this does not affect me nor would I ever have a need to buy what I've already received on PS+.

PS+ is good value.. I also own a One X with Gamepass Ultimate which includes Xbox Live GOLD and I've got a better list of quality games in the last 2 years from PS+ then the 200+ games on Gamepass, plus I have them forever to play as long as PS+ is active. Gamepass like Netflix service take away the games.. Gamepass is also $191 AUD per year vs $60 AUD per year for PS+.

People say to me oh you can't compare them they are different services but these are the two subscriptions I have and I just did.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I remember when Silent Hill (PS1 Classic) and Demon’s Souls were given through Plus. I waited until my Plus expired and just bought them. I’m happy to see this.

I do kinda get weirded out when I want to own something digitally versus getting it through Plus. It’s odd until it happens to you. I want to keep Plus, but I want to own that game.

OrionNebula

why would you buy a game you already had for free?
I’m considering dropping PSN+
I never play multiplayer
Barely play online / only play single player games
Haven’t been impressed with the ‘’free’’ offerings in many, many months (they mostly just die tossed into my library, never being downloaded or d/led and played for a few hours until deletion)

They used to have interesting PSN+ sale or advantages/additional sale prices for PSN+ members, but I have not really took advantage of that in maybe a year, a year and a half? Maybe it’s due to the end of the gen and me already owning much of what interests me... I don’t know...

So now, every new sales I check for the stuff I enjoyed they’ve given me away through the years
If I see Rime at a low price, I’m buying
Gone Home under $10? Bought in a second. And so on...
Obviously this is gonna take some time, as I would only buy those when on sale

CamHostage

I do kinda get weirded out when I want to own something digitally versus getting it through Plus. It’s odd until it happens to you. I want to keep Plus, but I want to own that game.

There is going to come a time where PS+ is discontinued for PlayStation 3, PS Vita, PS4 even and beyond ... and when that happens, the games you have on there just will no longer be accessible. You could have the games backed up to a hard drive, you could have your PS+ account for your spherical PS9 console, but if Sony discontinues the support and you want to play Dead Nation again for old time's sakes, your free PS+ copy will not let you play it. It's the fun of digital "ownership"...

So, if it's a game that you absolutely love and you got it through PS+, and it comes up at bargain-basement prices on a PlayStation Store sale, if it's worth the couple bucks to have a more solid guarantee that you'll be able to play it as easily as your NES copy of Dr Mario, you may want to suck it up now and pay the money. I haven't come across too many PS+ games that I feel like I'll need them forever, but this thread is making me want to recheck my library just in case and mark a few PS+ library additions out for when big sales come around.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
Are they still streamed titles or are people finally finding out the Ps4 has a built in working Ps2/3 emulator?
Oh Ps Plus not now.

Last edited by a moderator:

sainraja

There is going to come a time where PS+ is discontinued for PlayStation 3, PS Vita, PS4 even and beyond ... and when that happens, the games you have on there just will no longer be accessible. You could have the games backed up to a hard drive, you could have your PS+ account for your spherical PS9 console, but if Sony discontinues the support and you want to play Dead Nation again for old time's sakes, your free PS+ copy will not let you play it. It's the fun of digital "ownership"...

So, if it's a game that you absolutely love and you got it through PS+, and it comes up at bargain-basement prices on a PlayStation Store sale, if it's worth the couple bucks to have a more solid guarantee that you'll be able to play it as easily as your NES copy of Dr Mario, you may want to suck it up now and pay the money. I haven't come across too many PS+ games that I feel like I'll need them forever, but this thread is making me want to recheck my library just in case and mark a few PS+ library additions out for when big sales come around.

Well, you know, as they say, nothing is forever, including us.....

iHaunter

They really should let you keep it for free, if we're being honest, you get so free games, it's kind of a shit deal to pay for PS+ and buy the game. At least make it heavily discounted like 70%+

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member
Stuff like this drives me nuts with Sony. It took them this long for such a simple thing? Same with PSN name changes. Is their entire PSN back-end held together chewing gum and duct tape?

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

There’s an option to back up via media center to your PC using Content Manager. I put Persona 4 Golden on my laptop once (over 3 GB). I wonder if I’ll have to do that with my digital PS1/Vita Games. You’re right, a digital license is valid for your primary console. I’ve had to restore licenses before, but it hasn’t been a huge issue. At least on PS4 it is, meaning a secondary PS4 would always require a connection to play digital titles. Honestly, I have no clue when I should consider it. Which is why I dislike it when false things are said about the Vita/PSN store closing. No joke, a guy told me that at GameStop once and I gave him a very negative review. I still buy games on Vita’s PSN. I have to wonder if Sony will make an announcement besides the whole “we are shutting er down folks, tough luck”.

Last edited:

TimFL

* You PS+'ed it, it's a good offline multiplayer game, you again let your Plus dry up, and now a friend wants to play it with you but, again, PS Store says you can't have it.
That was the single use case where buying a game you have on PS+ was possible: your PS+ sub lapsing.

Does anyone know if this is JUST PS+ or does it also apply to all the other subs that lets you play games without owning them?
EA Access and PS Now games (the ones you chose to download, not streamed ones) afaik brought the same licensing woes.

FeiRR

Banned
I hope this also fixes the error where you couldn't buy a game if you played the demo first. I had this with Prey.

Poordevil

I sub to PS+ if I am actively playing an online game. I make sure automatic renewal is turned off. When my subscription runs out I renew it only if I am still playing online. Lately it has been lapsed. Been focused on single player games. When I am ready to play online, I will renew. Shadow of Colossus is locked behind PS+. I was just getting started with it when my sub ran out. But I am not buying the game. I will eventually resub and play the game then.

TonyK

I swear this has been there for a while, but only really took notice of it since you made the OP...
I don't believe that. I tried last week to purchase a game I have in PS+ and it was no option to buy it.
However, I'm from Europe, maybe that option was present in other markets

Zoro7

Banned
I mean PS+ is like 30 quid a year. Why would you not keep your subscription?? There are other benefits aside from online. It’s a no brainier.

Damigos

why would you buy a game you already had for free?
Because maybe you didnt want to continue with PS Plus but wanted to keep a game. And maybe, just maybe that game happened to be on discount while you were still on PS Plus.. 😉

Three

When you don't want to pay for PS Plus anymore
But when your Plus expires you can buy it. Unless there was a big sale and you planned it for when your Plus expires.

I just hopr it still lets you know if you already own it on the store. My library as at the stage where I don't know if I already own a game or not and I'm subbed.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
I mean PS+ is like 30 quid a year. Why would you not keep your subscription?? There are other benefits aside from online. It’s a no brainier.

I cancelled it because I never used it. I stopped playing online games on my PS4 and never bothered with 95% of the bonus games. Throwing money at nothing isn't a no-brainer.

Top Bottom