• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN game sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

skrew

Banned
INSTRUCTIONS/FAQ ON GAME SHARING

For the "sender":

1. Purchase and download a game from the Playstation Store
2. Go to account management for the account and delete the billing information from your personal information if the PS3 saved your credit card info
3. Change your password temporarily for the share
4. Give login info (email address and password) to the receiver
5. When the share is completed, change the password

For the "receiver":

1. In the PS3 XMB menu, add a new user account on your PS3 and sign in to it
2. Select the network on the XMB and create an existing Playstation Network account
3. Use the login information given from the "sender" to create the existing account
4. Login into the account
5. Enter into the Playstation store
6. Click on "Download List" on the upper right near the person's userID and select the game you wish to download and hit download
7. After game is downloaded, notify the "sender" that the download is complete so they can change the password to the account
8. Enjoy!

Q/A:

Q: Should I worry about misuse for my account?
A: If you taken the steps to delete your credit card/billing information and changed your password temporary, it should be safe. If you're paranoid about someone stealing your account, only share with people that you really, really trust

Q: Can't I just make a sub-account and use that to share the games?
A: Not sure if this is allowed, but someone could try and report the results

Q: I just received the game from the sender and the game won't play, help!
A: In order to play the game on your PS3, the game must be activated AND the user account that was used to download the game must stay on your PS3. For example, say you created user account "User1" on your local Playstation 3 and you downloaded a full version of Lemmings. After you download the game, you MUST keep "User1" on your Playstation 3 in order for the game to run on your PS3. If you somehow delete the user account, you must relogin with the sender's account and redownload the game. If the game is still on your HDD, simply redownload then cancel to re-authorize the game.

Q: Do I have to login with the sender's account to play the game?
A: No, it just needs to be authorized on your PS3. You can play the game using your account thereafter. Just do not delete the user account as mentioned above or else the game will be locked out.

Q: I'm trying to download the game from the Playstation store but it is not appearing in the store. Where is it?
A: Games that are purchased disappear from the store. You have to download the game going through the "Download List" screen on the upper right of the Playstation Store.

Q: How many times can I share a game?
A: The store says you can share up to 5 different Playstation 3's.

Ok I'm willing to share Tekken DR with 5 people

1) must be a longtime member of GAF that I can trust not to hijack my account
2) not a cheap bastard, sharing your current or promise of future game sharing would be nice... or maybe paypal some of the cost of the game

I would really like Calling all cars in return for the game

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I'm looking for Tekken DR, I have Lemmings available for trade and I will have Gripshift for trade once the game is out. I prefer a long-time, trusting NeoGAF member as well

I can take Blast Factor too as well.

Wants:
1. Tekken DR (fulfilled)
2. Blast Factor
3. Calling All Cars

Have:
1. Lemmings
2. Gripshift (when it comes out)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
skrew said:
Wario: I'll share for gripshift, let me finish my download and delete my billing info

Sweet, just send me a PM and tell me what to do in order to get the share. I haven't done this before

Im in i have been a Gaffer since 99

I will pay money or share game of your choice.

I need Tekken DR.

Edit: going to bed will check PM Tommrow. I will purchase and share any game of your selection for Tekken DR. Or i will pay for Tekken DR straight up.

mackaveli

anyone willing to share tekken 5 dr?

i haven't purchased a game yet but i do plan on buying flow when it comes out and hopefully others.

pm me if you can share :)

edit - it says i was a member from jan 05 but i joined with the nickname before in 03 i think with mrush but i forget password. just to letyou know.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Been around since 99. I have Blast Factor and Lemmings for trade and am interested in Tekken. Anyone? :)

skrew

Banned
Actually i really don't want money, first in line in your new game shares would be nice

1) Wario (want gripshift)
2) Triz
3) Kabuki
4) mackaveli (want flow)
5) dark (would like both blast factor and lemmings)

triz, kabuki: you guys have anything to share?

triz: i dont really know you at all but willing to take a chance

Darobga

I'm a junior member, but longtime lurker, I'll understand if no one wants to share with me. Perhaps we could arrange a paypal thing or a future PSN download or something.

Looking for Tekken DR

If anyones willing I'd really appreciate it, Feel free to PM me or talk to me on qwertyqwerty00 (AIM).

Hope those who did get Tekken are enjoying it!

-Darobga

skrew said:
Actually i really don't want money, first in line in your new game shares would be nice

2) Triz
3) Kabuki
4) mackaveli (want flow)

which game you want i will just purchase it.

Triz

skrew said:

2) Triz
3) Kabuki
4) mackaveli (want flow)

lol Ill buy whatever game you want off the store :lol

skrew

Banned
nothing really, promise of future sharing is good enough

I'm done, sorry dream, Darobga... maybe someone else can share

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
mashoutposse said:
Does "sharing" require one to divulge login details so that the other can sign in at their location?

It requires the user to login to the PSN account that was used to purchase a game. But that's why we're deleting billing info from the accounts, and I assume we're gonna change passwords to make it safe

Can multiple people login to one account at the same time? I think you may have to let us download one at a time but I"m not sure

skrew

Banned
mashoutposse said:
Does "sharing" require one to divulge login details so that the other can sign in at their location?
yea, i think i'll create a seperate account for downloading and sharing

Triz

Wario64 said:
It requires the user to login to the PSN account that was used to purchase a game. But that's why we're deleting billing info from the accounts, and I assume we're gonna change passwords to make it safe

Can multiple people login to one account at the same time? I think you may have to let us download one at a time but I"m not sure

does the users account need to stay on the PS3 to play the game or can it be removed after its downloaded?

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Triz said:
does the users account need to stay on the PS3 to play the game or can it be removed after its downloaded?

I'm not too sure about that either. Someone from the Tekken thread has done game sharing before, hopefully he can come in here and clear up some confusion

skrew

Banned
i'm at 97%, download is ****ing slow

wario will get it first, i hope everyone doesn't plan on getting it today

Kuga

mashoutposse said:

Yes. Basic theory:

1.Person 'A' makes a PSN account.
2.Person 'A' buys a game (Lemmings for example) on account 'X'.
3.Person 'A' gives person 'B' their login/password information; person 'B' downloads game(s) person 'A' bought, or regional content from person 'A's account.

Reason anyone actually bothers to do this is because some content is regional, and the region is tied to the account, not the location of the PS3/IP address. (I think)

mashoutposse

Ante Up
Thanks for the explanation, sounds good. Group buys for PSN titles? :D Gather up 5 people who pay $3-5 each for PSN game; group buy organizer is in charge of setting up an account and buying the game. Passwords change with each group buy. Set prerequisites to make sure nobody ****s with it (200 post count minimum to join). Someone should start that thread (I would, but I'm not on consistently enough to maintain it).

mackaveli

skrew said:

2) Triz
3) Kabuki
4) mackaveli (want flow)

k cool, as soon as flow comes out, i'll let you have it,

pm me when its my time to get tekken dr , thanks man :)

skrew

Banned
dragoba is 5

wario check PM, when you are done pm me back

this might take more then a day so be patient guys

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Login didn't work, check your pm skrew

UserID has to be an email address. does it allow you to sign up for an email address when you make a sub account? looks like we might have to share our master accounts if not

Darobga

Yay! Thanks so much, Ill be around on AIM most of the night if you need to talk - I'll also be checking PM's.

Also :lol @ dragoba

-Darobga

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
i'd be all up for sharing the wealth, but given this 5-share thing is supposed to be a PSN feature it does sound incredibly badly designed.

I mean, i'm not going to give people any login details for sure - i'm confused as to why it's been designed as it is. :(

Ah well.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
skrew said:
ok i fixed it wario, i created a HK master account so dont worry about it

Oh so it's the master account...ok

Currenlty downloading Tekken DR from the account right now, will let you know when it's done

DCharlie, I agree...but I think this sharing is meant for friends in real life, not to strangers over the internet...which would make more sense. But still, the documentation for game sharing is very poor. And Sony even called this feature a competitive advantage. I'm sure as hell confused for something that's suppose to be a competitive advantage for Sony

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
DCharlie, I agree...but I think this sharing is meant for friends in real life, not to strangers over the internet...which would make more sense.

i guess so - but even that is fraught with problems.

Ah well, i guess we should be thankful of the freeness.

RuGalz

DCharlie said:
i'd be all up for sharing the wealth, but given this 5-share thing is supposed to be a PSN feature it does sound incredibly badly designed.

I mean, i'm not going to give people any login details for sure - i'm confused as to why it's been designed as it is. :(

Ah well.

To be fair I think it's designed for your convenience and not for sharing with strangers. If they give you a few more tools to make sharing more convenient and manageable, you could theoretically start renting these games out and make profits which isn't the purpose of the system.

skrew

Banned
yea they need to make the sharing easier, i should be able to choose friends from my friends list and share

anyway multiple logins are allowed, everyone is getting sent the user/pass

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Thanks to skrew for Tekken DR....I'm still looking for Blast Factor though, if anyone has it and wants Lemmings or Gripshift later on, reply back

I'm only doing trades

-Rogue5-

Please tell me this works as you guys are suggesting. If you really feel paranoid about someone highjacking your account you could make two accounts -- one private and one public -- and share the games via the private account. It would effectively reduce the number of shares to 4, but it's a nice safety-net for those of us that are anal.

As for this whole deal, I'm willing to paypal some cash for Tekken 5 DR... that's the new hotness and I'd love to get a taste. Unfortunately it I don't plan on getting any PSN games, so $3-5 would have to suffice.

Let me know via private messages.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Ok, from what I gathered from doing my first game share with skrew, this is what I've noticed:

-Sub-accounts can't be used to share games. Skrew gave me a userID (not an email) and password and it wouldn't let me login because it needed an email address, not a username
-When sharing games, you SHOULD delete your billing info from the account and make a new temporary password for the trade for security purposes. Skrew deleted his billing info and I can confirm that the billing info is not viewable for the person receiving the game.
-Apparantly multiple people can login to one account (another reason to change password for the share transaction).

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
Hmm...shit...I just got an error while downloading the game. It signed me out too. Just resigned in and restarted the download. I don't know if this is because multiple people are logging in

edit: I think it was just my connection, my router seemed to reset itself

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom