• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I told yall in the other thread this was going to be a big one.

This is a huge pr blunder. The moment you know something could have possibly gone wrong you tell everyone.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Oooh boy.

Think I'll be cancelling my CC, just in case.

No more linking credit cards to my PSN account. Prepaid cards only from now on, Sony.

dream

This kinda makes the "it's not a big deal, go outside and read a book" apologists look unbelievably douchey, no?

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
Shit I can't change my password before next week. CC number compromised too? No way I'm revoking my CC. Without the security code what can they do anyway?

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
"an unauthorized person". Dastard.

Glad I only used PSN cards/Amazon, never a cheque card.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I cannot believe this shit.

My colleagues and I were right. It had to be big. network down for almost a week already.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
damn, join me to the list of people having to cancel my bloody debit card ffs, what a fucking failure.

test_account

XP-39C²
Damn, that sucks big time indeed :( Luckily for me, i have bullshit name and adress registered on my PSN account, so personally i'm not worried about that, but my CC info is there too. I guess i have call my bank anytime soon and get a new CC for my account.

Thankfully my PSN password is different from every other password I use. I'm still changing it once the system is back up.

And as some other gaffer said a while back, once the network is back online I'm certain the system is going to collapse again due to the stress caused by simultaneous users.

Sony dropped the ball hard.

Ferrio

Banned
Well least I see why Nintendo has lame online support, just to avoid shit like this. Can't do it well, don't do it at all I guess.

iNvid02

fucking amateurs

christian-bale-angry-08.jpg

Seeing as a total of zero people have reported odd charges on their credit cards over these past fews days, you would have to assume they didn't get them, right?

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Balb said:
Are passwords encrypted or no?
They should be, but if they use a common password encryption, people could simply run it though some software to get a valid password that returns the same hash value.

And don't forget about just comparing the hash values to a database of common passwords.

This is really one big fuck up by Sony and we still have no idea when they going back online.
Guess i will change my password but this fucking sucks , i use PSN cards and a fake address but how could Sony let anyone get all that info.

ghostmind

Now I'm glad my CC was compromised 1.5 weeks ago, as the old account number has been terminated.

But yeah Sony - I think we are done.

RyanDG

Okay... Here's some important questions that I think people need to know:

#1 - According to the post, they noticed this between April 17th and April 19th. Is there evidence that the access was occurring prior to that time?

#2 - If your credit card information was not stored with Sony via the 'remember this card' option, was our information stored anywhere on their network in an unencrypted format for previous purchase history that may have been accessible?

#3 - How in the world were our passwords compromised? Were they encrypted when stored? Or do these 'admin' level accounts that they say were compromised have the ability to view our full passwords (which opens up an entirely different can of worms)?

#4 - How long will it be before we can log into the system so we can perform necessary password/log in changes?

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Shambles said:
So we can't even log into our PSN accounts to see if we had a CC linked that might have been ripped off?

Nope. This is fucking awesome, isn't it?

BeeDog

Personally, the absolute worst things that could happen right now is to 1) lose access to my main PSN account and/or 2) lose my purchase history (and re-downloads of purchased items). If either one happens, I'll just sell all my PS3 stuff I think.

Willy Wanka

my god this avatar owns
Thankfully I buy all my PSN stuff with points cards (they are cheaper) but I'll still be changing my PSN password whenever we can login again.

cnizzle06

Banned
Goddamn Sony. How does such a large successful company allow something like this to happen? And way to promptly update your customer base.... Whelp, off to check my bank statement.

SmithnCo

Blu_LED said:
Seeing as a total of zero people have reported odd charges on their credit cards over these past fews days, you would have to assume they didn't get them, right?

There were some scares. Unknown if they were faked or not, of course.

My debit card has log expired and account closed so im good i think. And card info has been deleted from PSN.

But i did just recently open a new account with my bank. Im still good right?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'm being completely serious when I say this does it for me and Sony consoles. Never again.

Interfectum

dumb question but could this possibly effect your netflix, hulu and steam accounts? would it be possible for them to obtain that information?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lol @ people in this thread.

yeah, sue them. Also sue preemptively every other company in the world, because there are no firewalls that couldn't be breached.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom