• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Dedication Through Light said:
I think a month of PSN+ is satisfying, what other way to restore confidence in the psn? (though would it only go to master accounts or something?)

A month of PSN+ is plausible (at least far moreso than 6 or 12 months of free PSN+), although I still think it's more likely we'll get some free game
that no one really wants

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Dedication Through Light said:
I think a month of PSN+ is satisfying, what other way to restore confidence in the psn? (though would it only go to master accounts or something?)

Don't think a month is enough cos they don't update the PS+ storefront weekly, so it would end up being akin to offering some free/discounted games (those available during the month).

Let's not forget PS+ is not really a service per se. So once you are done downloading the few stuff on offer for a month, you are done.

Sblargh

Banned
I think PSN+ subscribers will get a free PSN+ month and it's not really a freebie since it falls under the categorie "I'm paying for that fucking shit"

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Combichristoffersen said:
A month of PSN+ is plausible (at least far moreso than 6 or 12 months of free PSN+), although I still think it's more likely we'll get some free game
that no one really wants

I really really really really really really do not want threads of fate ps1 classic.
-------
My mom's e-mail got hacked.. Could be pure coincidence sine the password was not changed not were other accounts or was anything posted on her facebook.

test_account

XP-39C²
itxaka said:
They didn't confirm it 100%, and it's the biggest issue of all. That is why I think it will be about it. Assuring or not the CC data status after 1 week of deep investigations by the security firm.
Yeah, you're right, they didnt confirm this 100% through their first press release. They did confirm on their blog that the CC info was encrypted and that the CVV numbers arent stored on their servers though, so maybe they will say something about this in the 2nd press release as well.

-Red_Mage- said:
I think that's correct. I know in politics if you want something to fly below the radar it's best to put it out on a Friday afternoon. Most people are like, "who cares, weekend woohoo", don't watch the news on the weekend, and that's two less days co-workers can talk to each other about it around the water cooler.
Indeed :)

get2sammyb said:
Totally agree with the logic there, but cannot see them doing a year of PSN+. Even six months sounds too much. But it actually might be a devious way of getting people into the Store front again, and also hooking them into resubscribing to PSN+ so very possible.

yeah i agree.

another thing about this though is it will most likely be opt-in.

ie: you have to actually redeem your 'apologetic goodies' so to speak yourself. it won't be something that's just a forced download or something onto your system. they'll probably send emails, send mssgs on PSN with a download link of some kind, and go out of their way to put the offer in everyone's faces, but at the end of the day we know that not all of the users are going to redeem it. (many people have multiple accounts)

i'd like to see the initial step-by-step automatic password change thingy that is supposed to start up when you first log in (after new firmware) have a page that talks about and links you to whatever they have planned. if not, then it will probably come next week once they figure out what to do and talk to the proper publishers/devs if their content is chosen or something.

*shrug*

expy

Banned
Oozinator said:
I don't want "freebies", I DEMAND CASH MONEY or I'll sue Sony to hell
So, if they don't give you cash moneys, you'll end up losing more cash moneys by going to court against them? Nice~

expy

Banned
Kyoufu said:
You've been threatening to sue them since a week ago. Why don't you just go ahead and do that?
*inserts Oozinator avatar quote*

edit:
YfRBk.jpg

obonicus

Takao said:
Expect some bad movie rental or something.

I'm not sure what they could actually give everyone. There are regions where, even though you can input personal information and create a PSN account, there's no store.

Kyoufu

Oozinator said:
Thanks for monitoring my every move

Not really monitoring. More like having your Nintendo avatar and empty threats of legal action thrown into this thread since it began. Annoying much?

LQX

I wonder how many will be compelled to jump back into Portal 2 and MK once the servers are up. Most probably played the shit out of these games and had there fill.

Sblargh

Banned
LQX said:
I wonder how many will be compelled to jump back into Portal 2 and MK once the servers are up. Most probably played the shit out of these games and had there fill.

I've spent so many time on MK training room that there is nothing I want more than to try stuff online. But I can see the hype becoming frustration.

LQX said:

It's sad when one or two weeks of a games release can cause people to get there "fill".

Raoh

When it comes back up. I just hope everything is faster download wise. While the main reason for the rebuild is security, I'm hoping other tweaks were able to find their way in the rebuild.

Some companies will not implement a new tweak because it requires a shutdown of the system for a period of time. So I hope the downed time allows for someone to step up and say "hey lets add these tweaks while we have that open window"

Raoh said:
When it comes back up. I just hope everything is faster download wise. While the main reason for the rebuild is security, I'm hoping other tweaks were able to find their way in the rebuild.

Some companies will not implement a new tweak because it requires a shutdown of the system for a period of time. So I hope the downed time allows for someone to step up and say "hey lets add these tweaks while we have that open window"

Im hoping for that too. I wonder how big will our PS Store updates be, oh and they will have so many blog posts to write for the PS Blog since its reported nothing on game news at all...

Hanmik

Gather around kids, it's story time...

Last night when me and my wife went to bed, I first tried to get her in the mood for some "loving".. But nothing helped. So I turned on my trusty old 60Gb ps3. Played some tomb raider legend. At one point in the game you are supposed to jump between two buildings on a bike. But everytime I tried that my ps3 froze and had to be restarted. Yes the fucking system was beggining to YLOD on me.. So I turned it off and went to sleep.. At night I got a bad stomach and couldn't sleep, because my stomach hurt.
Next morning (today). I decided to invest in a new ps3. So with a Very bad stomach, my wife and three kids, we went to the city to buy a new system. Came home 2 hours ago with a new 250gb slim. So I thought I would transfer my data via the build in transfer system.. But no.. You have to be online to Psn to do that, because you have to deactivate the old system and sync trophies.. So I decided to copy my gamesaves.. But now my old ps3 was dead. And I really do not have the time and energy to fix the ylod (did it 8 months ago on another of my ps3's..).
So I'm stuck with a boner, a new ps3 slim with no gamesaves, no games from psn, no user and a bad stomach...

Hanmik said:

Last night when me and my wife went to bed, I first tried to get her in the mood for some "loving".. But nothing helped. So I turned on my trusty old 60Gb ps3. Played some tomb raider legend. At one point in the game your are supposed to jump between two buildings on a bike. But everytime I tried that my ps3 froze and had to be restarted. Yes the fucking system was beggining to YLOD on me.. So I turned it off and went to sleep.. At night I got a bad stomach and couldn't sleep, because my stomach hurt.
Next morning (today). I decided to invest in a new ps3. So with a Very bad stomach, tne wife and three kids, we went to the city to buy a new system. Came home 2 hours ago with a new 250gb slim. So I thought I would transfer my data via the build in transfer system.. But no.. You have to be online to Psn to do that, because you have to deactivate the old system and sync trophies.. So I decided to copy my gamesaves.. But now my old ps3 was dead. And I really do not have the time and energy to fix the ylod (did it 8 months ago on another of my ps3's..).
So I'm stuck with a boner, a new ps3 slim with no gamesaves, no games from psn, no user and a bad stomach...

Welcome to my horror show. I got a PSP Go the morning after PSN went down. I have 15 games sitting on my PS3's hard drive waiting to be transferred over. I can't do a goddamn thing with them until PSN comes back up.

itxaka

Defeatist
Hanmik said:

Last night when me and my wife went to bed, I first tried to get her in the mood for some "loving".. But nothing helped. So I turned on my trusty old 60Gb ps3. Played some tomb raider legend. At one point in the game you are supposed to jump between two buildings on a bike. But everytime I tried that my ps3 froze and had to be restarted. Yes the fucking system was beggining to YLOD on me.. So I turned it off and went to sleep.. At night I got a bad stomach and couldn't sleep, because my stomach hurt.
Next morning (today). I decided to invest in a new ps3. So with a Very bad stomach, my wife and three kids, we went to the city to buy a new system. Came home 2 hours ago with a new 250gb slim. So I thought I would transfer my data via the build in transfer system.. But no.. You have to be online to Psn to do that, because you have to deactivate the old system and sync trophies.. So I decided to copy my gamesaves.. But now my old ps3 was dead. And I really do not have the time and energy to fix the ylod (did it 8 months ago on another of my ps3's..).

At least you have a family.
y1bzq.png

MrPliskin

Banned
Combichristoffersen said:
Calling All Cars free for every PSN user

If they re-enabled the online servers, and added trophies, I'd be all over this fucking solution. Calling all Cars was brilliant, and the size of the community with a free game to all and new servers would be awesome.

Don't know if this was posted yet

http://www.pushsquare.com/25798/pla...d-its-2007-twiggy-the-pushsquare-opinionator/

He talks about the Gamasutra article on PS3.

Im sorry but i agree with him. Yes it's fucked up that the PSN got hacked and information was stolen but alot of people are using this whole situation to trash sony. The dislike for sony this generation is disgusting.

Love the last line:

Haven't you heard, the PlayStation brand is in decline. Again.

Give it up guys.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Kung Fu Grip said:

http://www.pushsquare.com/25798/pla...d-its-2007-twiggy-the-pushsquare-opinionator/

Im sorry but i agree with him. Yes it's fucked up that the PSN got hacked and information was stolen but alot of people are using this whole situation to trash sony. The dislike for sony this generation is disgusting.

Love the last line:

Give it up guys.

No need to feel sorry. Pretty spot on that article is.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Kung Fu Grip said:

Love the last line:

Give it up guys.
you should start a new thread for this article. i don't think you'll realize what a truly myopic zealot this guy is, how his desperate sense of proprietary victimization colours every word of his writing, and how warped your sensibilities are by extension of agreement, by just posting it in this echo-chamber.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
StuBurns said:
I want Wipeout HD Fury, hear me Sony? I want that.

And for those of us that bought it?

No, I want $50 in my wallet. No more, no less. $50. To be used any way I want it (PS+? Can do. Thousands of DLC/Games? Can do.)

Daddy needs Parasite Eve 1, Front Mission 3, Ridge Racer Type 4, Jill in Marvel 3...

itxaka

Defeatist
Kung Fu Grip said:

Love the last line:

Give it up guys.

No one should feel disgusted because someone is trolling a multi-million business in a forum. Laugh at the trolls/fanboys or become one of them.

usea

Kung Fu Grip said:

Terrible.

Apparently nobody should be critical of Sony because criticism sucks. He's right about the CC deal, assuming lots of places are doing what he claims. But this is a serious case of blind fan perspective.

edit: Oh ok. It's a Playstation blog. I get it now. Great article!

Carlisle

TheSeks said:

No, I want $50 in my wallet. No more, no less. $50. To be used any way I want it (PS+? Can do. Thousands of DLC/Games? Can do.)

Daddy needs Parasite Eve 1, Front Mission 3, Ridge Racer Type 4, Jill in Marvel 3...
$50 would put a nice dent in the Duodecim/3rd Birthday/Legend of Heroes I still need to buy. And why the fuck isn't FFIV Complete on PSN?

Yeah, I'd take $50 or a voucher to download any game for free regardless of price. And that's not even as good as the PSP Go vouchers they packed in with those systems. Certainly not too much to ask for. If we get a fucking free movie rental like someone suggested above I'll be so pissed.

[Nintex]

Kung Fu Grip said:

Love the last line:

Give it up guys.
"Sony fucked up and now people are bullying them :( :("
Cry me a fucking river

Alx

Hoping for free credit sounds unrealistic IMO... I'm sure 50$ would help most users to forget the whole story, but 50$ x 77 000 000 = a lot of money to pay (even if not all users will claim their share). That's worth several AAA games budget.
Sony will probably look for a better bargain.

itxaka said:
No one should feel disgusted because someone is trolling a multi-million business in a forum. Laugh at the trolls/fanboys or become one of them.
True. It just gets a little annoying reading the same complaint (half of which makes no sense or is not even true) over and over again.

Not saying sony does no wrong. Every company does. Sony's problems are just magnified.

Anyway no time to argue. Got to head to work.

TheSeks said:

lol, then you're gonna be piiiiiissed, because none of that is happening. I'd expect a shitty free game or maybe a month of PS+ for non-subs and an extended month for subbers at most. At this point, I don't care about reparations...I just want my damn PSN back so I can play some MK and Portal 2 with a side o' Outland. :(

strem

I for one am done with PSN. I was the biggest Sony lover on earth but they have just lost me with this.

PSN has lagged behind which I was able to over look for the longest time. But I put a lot of faith in these companies to keep my information safe when I give it out to them. Amazon, Steam, Xbox, Blizzard etc..

When that trust is broken it is over. I'm sorry but this should never happen to a multi billion dollar company. Security has to be the biggest thing on the list and I believe Sony has failed on that part.

So I don't care if they give me money on my PSN or a free game or whatever. I for one will not be buying anything from the PSN service again.

People making excuses for these companies make me laugh so hard on the forums. What is in it for you guys? Why do you care so much about these companies. When they F up royally call them out and hold them accountable. Only in the video game community can this happen I swear.

If an Ford credit or your home mortgage holder had all your info available for hackers to feast on you would lose your shit. But hey its Sony or MS and they love me and make my video games so it's ok!

You cats do what you want but it is 1 strike and your out when it comes to my entertainment dollar. Like we all don't have enough stress in our lives. We don't need to worry about our bank account being rolled by some 19 year old virgin in a basement somewhere because Sony couldn't secure their system

Kung Fu Grip said:

Love the last line:

Give it up guys.

I don't understand the writer's bafflement on the reasoning behind the general public's return to a negative opinion on Sony. He references 2007, when people were still laughing at the disappointing launch of the system and how Sony turned it around with great titles. That's not the only reason public opinion changed in Sony's favor.

That was around the time when they went through a huge PR switch. I forget which E3 it was, but when Jack Tretton came out and came across as humble and admitted the wrong choices they made to consumers and developers, it really had an effect. No longer were we seeing the old, arrogant, "we can do no wrong" Sony of the past, but instead we saw a company willing to listen and hopefully learn from its past mistakes.

Recently, the PR cycle started falling down again, starting with the removal of OtherOS (which shadowed the quiet killing of backwards compatibility of the original bad PR days), to the lawsuit on Geohotz, which many saw as corporate bullying. Now this hack has happened. Yes, people are angry that the hackers went after sensitive information, but are more so angry with Sony's slow and uninformative response. Instead of being fed facts, we get "maybe's" for a few days, and then an e-mail without any concrete information on the security of our credit information. Instead of getting into specifics of how security failed, we just get more PR responses on the hackers, which harkens back to the "we can do no wrong" days.

Yes, some fanyboys/trolls are sure to jump on the hate bandwagon, and not all the hate will be justified. But as far as wondering why the media and journalists seem to be so harsh on Sony, it seems obvious - they've negated the good will they obtained by reverting to business practices that generated the hate in the first place.

strem said:
People making excuses for these companies make me laugh so hard on the forums. What is in it for you guys? Why do you care so much about these companies. When they F up royally call them out and hold them accountable. Only in the video game community can this happen I swear.

Even as an owner of all 3 systems, I'm still relying on PSN as my online service (I'm not paying for Live and my Wii has never even been hooked up to the net). I like it because it's free, and I'll continuing using it until it isn't.

I can understand why this whole fiasco pissed people off, but seeing how it didn't affect me at all, I don't really care all that much. I've always used PSN/XBLA/Wii cards to buy stuff because I'm paranoid of this shit, I never put any of my real person info in there, and I've been busy with the end of the semester so I couldn't have played games even if I wanted to this week.

So, all in all, shit happens. There's no better alternative for me right now to tell Sony to screw off.

FINALBOSS

Banned
I called it the day PSN went down...that everyone is just gonna want free shit.

Some of you guys are LOL in this thread. Come on TTP, a free year of PS+?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom