• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's amazing how I keep hearing "Sony fucked up" "Sony fucked up" "Sony fucked up" yet no one can say how exactly they fucked up. Sony being hacked = them fucking up?

What kind of fucked up logic is that?

Bank gets robbed, bankers fucked up?
NASA gets hacked, NASA fucked up?
Pentagon gets hacked, Pentagon fucked up?
Mastercard gets hacked, Mastercard fucked up?
oO

I can understand being mad at Sony cause it's their responsibility, and if we have to complain to someone, it's obviously to them and not the Hacker. But your anger seems to be missplaced. Saying they fucked up is like saying they just gave the data away or something.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
It's amazing how I keep hearing "Sony fucked up" "Sony fucked up" "Sony fucked up" yet no one can say how exactly they fucked up. Sony being hacked = them fucking up?

oO

I can understand being mad at Sony cause it's their responsibility, and if we have to complain to someone, it's obviously to them and not the Hacker. But your anger seems to be missplaced. Saying they fucked up is like saying they just gave the data away or something.

This.

I'd say it's a "glass half empty/glass half full" kinda situation.

test_account

XP-39C²
strem said:
People making excuses for these companies make me laugh so hard on the forums. What is in it for you guys? Why do you care so much about these companies. When they F up royally call them out and hold them accountable. Only in the video game community can this happen I swear.
People do call them out and people do hold them accountable. But what do people expect to happened after that?

I havnt read all posts here, but from what i have read i have actually not seen that much direct excuses. But what i have mostly seen is that people understand that everyone can be hacked and that people can sometimes fuck up. When the US Military have been hacked, why should it be impossible to hack i.e PSN? We also have no idea how advanced this PSN hack was, it might not necessarily be some real easy hack. The only thing i really wonder about this on Sony's part is why the personal information was encrypted, but besides that i don't really know if Sony fucked up that much regarding this PSN hack. I can understand that people are pissed of course, but it doesnt mean that Sony really fucked up much here regarding the security, we dont really know much about that.

But in the end, it is up to each person to decide if they will forgive or not though.

strem said:
You cats do what you want but it is 1 strike and your out when it comes to my entertainment dollar. Like we all don't have enough stress in our lives. We don't need to worry about our bank account being rolled by some 19 year old virgin in a basement somewhere because Sony couldn't secure their system
There is not much reason for you to be stressed out worring about someone to take money from your bank account. A good bank should have you protected against this. If you're unsure if your bank got this protection, i recommend you to call them and hear. No reason to stress much over this at least :)

Tonza

Not sure if this is because of the PSN leak but I've gotten now 2 emails about some online soccer manager site where I supposedly registered an account for. Annoying as shit.

Not sure if they're phishing or just someone screwing around but I reported them as spam on Gmail.

dogmaan

Girl got arse pubes.
Metalmurphy said:

oO

Wasn't NASA hacked by Gary McKinnon with a copy of PC Anywhere?

If the security was inadequate then yes, Sony's PSN security team/management, does deserve a portion of the blame.

Snipes424

Metalmurphy said:

oO

Any company can be hacked at any time, what you do is implement the best security policy you possibly can and cross your fingers.

I don't think Sony implemented the best security policy they possibly could. So they should get a lot of hate for that, but at the same time the hacker didn't have to go in there and steal people's information. I could go to Target right now and steal a bunch of shit but I choose not to because I believe stealing (either physically or digitally) is fucked up and wrong. So in a sense you are right, there needs to be just as much hate going towards the hacker.

Slow response? What the fuck were you expecting, people? Sony to come out and rattle shit off without full knowledge of what was going on? Surely most of GAF isn't that thick-headed...

It would have caused more harm than good. PS3 is all I own and after years of being reluctant to have my CC info online, I buckled and did it. And you know what? I ain't even mad. Sony's doing what they could.

"OH NOEZ. EVIL CORPORATION SYMPATHISER!!!"

Snipes424 said:
Any company can be hacked at any time, what you do is implement the best security policy you possibly can and cross your fingers.

I don't think Sony implemented the best security policy they possibly could. So they should get a lot of hate for that, but at the same time the hacker didn't have to go in there and steal people's information. I could go to Target right now and steal a bunch of shit but I choose not to because I believe stealing (either physically or digitally) is fucked up and wrong. So in a sense you are right, there needs to be just as much hate going towards the hacker.

I completely agree that IF their security is crap, then all the hate and "Sony fucked up" comments are appropriate. But we have no idea if that's the case.

test_account

XP-39C²
Metalmurphy said:

oO

Indeed :) I agree.

dogmaan said:
Wasn't NASA hacked by Gary McKinnon with a copy of PC Anywhere?

If the security was inadequate then yes, Sony's PSN security team/management, does deserve a portion of the blame.
From Wikipedia:

McKinnon is accused of hacking into 97 United States military and NASA computers over a 13-month period between February 2001 and March 2002.

He was able to do this for 13 months without getting stopped? Damn. Granted, computer security has probably been quite improved since 2001/2002, but still, kinda amazing that he was able to do this for 13 months (if it's true what Wikipedia says).

Metalmurphy said:

oO

Uhh...dude. When 9/11 happened, our government, intelligence, and security fucked up. Anger is not missplaced. You do not know if Sony did everything in their power. That is why you get a damn good IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) to stop the leak before it pours.

Stop giving Sony the damn benefit of the doubt. They are liable for our information, simple as that. There is no excuse and no room for failure with sensitive customer information.

chris0701

Metalmurphy said:
I completely agree that IF their security is crap, then all the hate and "Sony fucked up" comments are appropriate. But we have no idea if that's the case.

Obviously not safe as XBOX LIVE has.

Since XBOX Live still goes well, the blame goes to why Sony would have such an epic fail.

[Nintex]

Metalmurphy said:

Bank gets robbed, has insurance? Gets money back, no harm done = Bank did not fuck up
Bank gets robbed, doesn't call the police untill 6 days after the robbery = Bank fucked up
Yes
Yes, they have so much top secret and critical information that could endanger not only US soldiers but also NATO allies that in the event of a Pentagon security breach they would've really fucked up.

Also read the file on the guy that copied all kinds of US government data on a blank CD that they didn't find suspicious because it had 'Lady Gaga Music' written on it. Quite a fuck up too. The handling of the situation afterwards is even more of a fuck up, but that's a different story.
Yes, they handle millions(?) of transactions every day. That's a total fuck up.
oO

Yes, they really fucked up. The drew a red giant bullseye on PSN that said: "please hack us!" when they started that anti-hacker campaign and they were obviously not prepared. They waited 6 days to inform millions of users that their credit card numbers and personal information might've possibly been compromised.

You better believe that ALL my hate is geared towards the hacker(s). No offense, but all of this because you couldn't run Linux AND have access to PSN is hilarious yet scary at the same time. These are the types of people who murder their parents for entering their bedrooms without knocking first.

Then there are those who gotta have their roms on their PS3s and the ability to have a custom colored PSN profile who support the hacking/cfw community.

Hanmik

Now that my ps3 has ylod, And I cannot get it back on to transfer gamesaves and deactivate my accounts, and cannot sync the trophies I got since psn went down. I really do not have the time and energy to repair the ps3, but I read about some hairdryer trick.. Does that trick work..? Or is that just bs..? Most of my gamesaves are stored online (ps+ is a lifesaver) but I would really like to deactivate my accounts. My fake US account has no more activations, so I cannot redownloadResident Evil 2 and other games I bought there back when my visa worked there. So I will loose some great games if I cannot deactivate my accounts.. So does any one know if the hairdryer trick works...? Just long enough to backup the latest saves and deacivate accounts, and maybe sync my trophies.

baekshi

Banned
[Nintex] said:
Bank gets robbed, has insurance? Gets money back, no harm done = Bank did not fuck up
Bank gets robbed, doesn't call the police untill 6 days after the robbery = Bank fucked up

Yes

Yes, they have so much top secret and critical information that could endanger not only US soldiers but also NATO allies that in the event of a Pentagon security breach they would've really fucked up.

Also read the file on the guy that copied all kinds of US government data on a blank CD that they didn't find suspicious because it had 'Lady Gaga Music' written on it. Quite a fuck up too. The handling of the situation afterwards is even more of a fuck up, but that's a different story.

Yes, they really fucked up. The drew a red giant bullseye on PSN that said: "please hack us!" when they started that anti-hacker campaign and they were obviously not prepared. They waited 6 days to inform millions of users that their credit card numbers and personal information might've possibly been compromised.

Would there be anything different if they informed you earlier? How difference?

test_account

XP-39C²
Shin Dynamo X said:
Uhh...dude. When 9/11 happened, our government, intelligence, and security fucked up. Anger is not missplaced. You do not know if Sony did everything in their power. That is why you get a damn good IPS (Intrusion Prevention System) to stop the leak before it pours.

Stop giving Sony the damn benefit of the doubt. They are liable for our information, simple as that. There is no excuse and no room for failure with sensitive customer information.
FBI has been hacked before:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2006/07/fbi_hack.html

An outside contractor hired by the Federal Bureau of Investigations (FBI) breached the agency's computer network and gained access to the passwords of 38,000 employees, the Washington Post reported.

Colon claimed that frustration with the slow pace of approval for routine assignments drove him to hack the network and gain access to the employee records, using "run-of-the-mill" hacker tricks and scripts that are freely available on the Internet.

The resultant hacks gave Colon access to high-risk information areas, such as the Witness Protection Program.

That is quite much like the PSN hack (only much more serious though hence the witness protection program).

EDIT: Hey, you edited your post :p =)

[Nintex] said:

Yes

HAHAHA @ your comparison of Sony going public and a bank calling the cops. They did what was needed, just didn't tell you. It's called "investigation".

Shin Dynamo X said:

Liable doesn't meant they're the cause.

And I won't touch those stupid comparisons.

chris0701 said:
Obviously not safe as XBOX LIVE has.

Since XBOX Live still goes well, the blame goes to why Sony would have such an epic fail.
As I'm not touching this one.

[Nintex] said:

Sony called the FBI, a third party investigator, warned what happened 1 day after, gave the full details when they knew (from the investigation) 6 days after. Get your facts straight.

Brannon

Metalmurphy said:

I understand that companies don't encrypt all their information, but if it's true that passwords and security questions AT THE VERY LEAST weren't encrypted, then yes, Sony fucked up.

If they were encrypted, then I withdraw, but you'd think Sony would be quick to state as such. The silence is deafening.

MoonsaultSlayer said:
Slow response? What the fuck were you expecting, people? Sony to come out and rattle shit off without full knowledge of what was going on? Surely most of GAF isn't that thick-headed...

It would have caused more harm than good. PS3 is all I own and after years of being reluctant to have my CC info online, I buckled and did it. And you know what? I ain't even mad. Sony's doing what they could.

"OH NOEZ. EVIL CORPORATION SYMPATHISER!!!"

Well we live in a generation of full transparency so people wanted every detail confirmed or unconfirmed every step of the way. Surely Sony swiftly alerting authorizes and gov't before alerting consumers is more beneficial? I can only accept a slow response, if people had experienced fraudulent charges before Sony made it public, which is not the case.

test_account

XP-39C²
[Nintex] said:

Yes

You cant really say if some info gets out regardless, then someone has fucked up with the security. What about unloyal employees etc.? It is impossible to guarantee 100% protection. What defines "fuck up" regarding security is if it was an easy/quite obvious mistake/mistakes that were done, at least in my opinion.

chris0701

Metalmurphy said:
As I'm not touching this one.(XBOX LIVE)

You made things into more complicated.

As those hacker not hack XBOX LIVE.
As those hacker not hack FBI.
As those hacker not hack CIA.

What the fuck ? Those hacker could do anything ? Please turn off the network now.
Or you should never trust any network system when it is not designed by government.

test_account

XP-39C²
Brannon said:
I understand that companies don't encrypt all their information, but if it's true that passwords and security questions AT THE VERY LEAST weren't encrypted, then yes, Sony fucked up.

If they were encrypted, then I withdraw, but you'd think Sony would be quick to state as such. The silence is deafening.
If this is the case with the passwords, then i fully agree that Sony fucked up on that part. But i dont think that they necessarily fucked up on the security system itself so that people could easily get a hold of this information.

I'm looking forward to the press release that is coming tomorrow. Hopefully there will be some more info then, although i think it will be more info about what will happened next with PSN.

chris0701 said:
You made things into more complicated.

As those hacker not hack XBOX LIVE.
As those hacker not hack FBI.
As those hacker not hack CIA.

What the fuck ? Those hacker could do anything ? Please turn off the network now.
Or you should never trust any network system when it is not designed by government.
Actually...

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/xbox-live-hacked-accounts-stolen/131
http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-central/fbi-gets-hacked-video-blogger-sacked-411
http://www.2600.com/hackedphiles/cia/

Even the company doing the network security for the freaking Department of Defense got hacked. There is no such thing as a secure network.

It's why my info on all websites/services is fake. I am not called Bino da Silva nor do I live in Rua dos Kilhos 69

Hanmik said:
Now that my ps3 has ylod, And I cannot get it back on to transfer gamesaves and deactivate my accounts, and cannot sync the trophies I got since psn went down. I really do not have the time and energy to repair the ps3, but I read about some hairdryer trick.. Does that trick work..? Or is that just bs..? Most of my gamesaves are stored online (ps+ is a lifesaver) but I would really like to deactivate my accounts. My fake US account has no more activations, so I cannot redownloadResident Evil 2 and other games I bought there back when my visa worked there. So I will loose some great games if I cannot deactivate my accounts.. So does any one know if the hairdryer trick works...? Just long enough to backup the latest saves and deacivate accounts, and maybe sync my trophies.
Yeah that trick works. Just youtube it and see how to exactly do it.

chris0701

Metalmurphy said:
Actually...

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/security/xbox-live-hacked-accounts-stolen/131
http://www.infoworld.com/d/security-central/fbi-gets-hacked-video-blogger-sacked-411
http://www.2600.com/hackedphiles/cia/

Even the company doing the network security for the freaking Department of Defense got hacked. There is no such thing as a secure network.

It's why my info on all websites/services is fake. I am not called Bino da Silva nor do I live in Rua dos Kilhos 69

The XBOX live case isn't same as PSN data theft case.
It was some hackers tried the id/pw combinations then hit the jackpot. It can happens on any system even the most security one.

The PSN case looks like the personal data of ALL psn users can be stolen,completely not in the same crisis level.

Brannon said:

Hit the nail on the head.

FINALBOSS

Banned
Shin Dynamo X said:

Uhh...when 9/11 happened...everyone blamed the terrorists. Not our fucking government.

chris0701 said:
The XBOX live case isn't same as PSN data theft case.
It was some hackers tried the id/pw combinations then hit the jackpot. It can happens on any system even the most security one.

The PSN case looks like the personal data of ALL psn users can be stolen,completely not in the same crisis level.
No... If that was the case then these reports would happen all the time. Bungie.net and Xbox Life got hacked.
http://kotaku.com/#!245887/xbox-live-hacked-accounts-stolen

FINALBOSS said:
Uhh...when 9/11 happened...everyone blamed the terrorists. Not our fucking government.
Later they did :p

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If you have a net presence and you haven't been hacked then your time hasn't come or you just aren't that important(risk not worth the reward).

Chrange

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
No... If that was the case then these reports would happen all the time. Bungie.net and Xbox Life got hacked.

I think that later turned out to be just people using social engineering to get passwords and recover accounts, but I'm not 100% sure.

chris0701

FINALBOSS said:

Things changed when we know the CIA doesn't do their right job on data analysis about al qaeda activity before the crisis, the terrible truth was revealed much later.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
Hackers get what hackers want more often than not.

Sony's "blame" in my mind would be nothing more than complacency. Relying on their security that has worked for them all these years when it may or may not be outdated or inefficient in todays reality.

As soon as the PS3 system was hacked, someone somewhere should have probably thought to re-evaluate all Sony network security protocols in case there were any similarities in the systems that a savvy hacker could exploit.

If I am a criminal hacker (IE someone who does it for money, identity theft etc, and not just to screw with a company) and I see the PS3 news, I start thinking to myself

"Hey, they have millions of customer credit cards, I wonder how secure the rest of their network is?"

Poke at it for a few weeks and BAM...in.

Do I blame Sony with anger like so many here? Nope.

Do I feel bad for them being the victim or shortsightedness? Yep.

Could it have happened to any other company? Hell yes.

The smartest thing Microsoft, Nintendo, or any online company could do right now is make sure they are as safe as they possibly could be.

If the wolves smell blood and start looking in other directions you never know what could go down.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
MThanded said:
If you have a net presence and you haven't been hacked then your time hasn't come or you just aren't that important(risk not worth the reward).
Much shorter way of saying what I was thinking.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Metalmurphy said:

Later they did [blame the govt for 9/11]

Wasn't that because evidence emerged suggesting that we could have anticipated the attacks better than we did? If evidence emerges that Sony's security was particularly weak, then they should definitely be blamed. Until then, we can't conclude how much blame they should get.

Another problem is the hindsight bias where everyone is coming up with these stories about what Sony should have done without really thinking them through or making a convincing case that people would have been any more satisfied with Sony's response to the issue.

chris0701

Metalmurphy said:
Later they did :p

You still tried too hard.

When I know something about your birthday,name or somethingm, I can try to login any network service system you would use desperately through id/pw combination.

I could try XBOX live,google account,twitter,hack anything I would like to spend my time.

This kind of hack isn't what the PSN case we have recently.

lawblob said:
Defending Sony with 9/11 comparisons. This thread is on a roll!
Actually, it started with attacking Sony with 9/11 comparisons...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=27509859&postcount=9412

chris0701 said:
You still tried too hard.

When I know something about your birthday,name or somethingm, I can try to login any network service system you would use desperately through id/pw combination.

I could try XBOX live,google account,twitter,hack anything I would like to spend my time.

This kind of hack isn't what the PSN case we have recently.
Did you even read the links?

And I tried too hard? lol I gave serveral examples how any system could be compromised, one of them being wrong doesn't disprove my point.

x3sphere

Chrange said:
I think that later turned out to be just people using social engineering to get passwords and recover accounts, but I'm not 100% sure.

I think you're right, never heard of XBL being compromised before, only phishing incidents.

Unfortunately, I've come across some writers that lump phishing under the 'hacking' category. Pure sensationalism.

lawblob said:
Defending Sony with 9/11 comparisons. This thread is on a roll!

About a hundred pages ago, a Sony enthusiast compared the company to a rape victim. I was speechless.

It was also an unfortunate reminder of one of the Geohot threads, in which another enthusiast described the rape they'd want George Hotz to endure as punishment for his disrespect towards the corporation.

Its shocking sometimes.

chris0701 said:
Your link has been read. But my knowledge only leads to the event was jackpots of id/pw combination as I said in previous post.

Do you need more cleared description?
I need a clearer English. And you missed my edit.

I gave several examples how any system could be compromised, if one of them is wrong it doesn't disprove my point.

And for the record, "your knowledge" is worthless without proof. I've provided sources for all my claims.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom