• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN Hack Update: FAQs in OP, Read before posting

Status
Not open for further replies.

test_account

XP-39C²
plainr_ said:
I think Sony needs to give us an option (like XBL) to change account names. I don't feel comfortable knowing that there is probably a database out there that one could use to find out where I live simply by entering my PSN ID. Hilarious as it sounds, I have had some people genuinely pissed off at me for accidentally team killing them. God knows what these people are capable of if they get hold of our personal info.
That would be a good idea indeed. Although that the list of PSN usernames and personal info might never be publically leaked and that there is probably a very very small chance that someone will actually come to someone's address because they got pissed in an online game, i definitely see the concern. I wouldnt like this either (personally i used a totally fake name and adress that doesnt excist, so personally i am glad that i did this). I'm a bit surprised that there havnt been more talk about this actually.

Hopefully the PSN infrastructure is set up so that PSN user ID can be changed, and hopefully we will get some info regarding this as soon as possible.

androvsky

test_account said:
What is a Gracenote server log?

That os the picture/article i was thinking about indeed.
I guess it's my turn to answer this...

It's a log from someone scanning a Gracenote server for possible vulnerabilities. Gracenote is the CD title database company Sony bought a few years back, the log appears to be from a server that sits in front the real servers. If someone used that scan and managed to find and use a real exploit, they could've downloaded the titles of millions of music CDs.

Amusingly, Sony doesn't even use Gracenote to fetch CD title information on the PS3 iirc.

test_account

XP-39C²
androvsky said:
I guess it's my turn to answer this...

It's a log from someone scanning a Gracenote server for possible vulnerabilities. Gracenote is the CD title database company Sony bought a few years back, the log appears to be from a server that sits in front the real servers. If someone used that scan and managed to find and use a real exploit, they could've downloaded the titles of millions of music CDs.

Amusingly, Sony doesn't even use Gracenote to fetch CD title information on the PS3 iirc.
Oh, i see, thanks for the info :) So this log in that picture/article has nothing to do with PSN?

Pride

I think Kotaku needs to tread very lightly in how they handle the PSN Outage coverage, let's take a look at this quote:

Owen Good— Lots of people vow all kinds of extreme things when they're pissed off, especially at giant corporations. Many come back for reasons of convenience or simply calming down. But a survey taken this week, reacting to the PlayStation Network outage, suggests that 21 percent of PS3 owners are considering selling their consoles and fleeing for Xbox Live.

Now let's all remember for some unknown reason it took Gawker ~2 weeks before they allowed people to cancel their registrations when their own system was hacked. They had no good reason as to why they wouldnt let people but it was fairly obvious they were hoping the longer it took the more people would calm down and not cancel their registration.

LowParry

Pride said:
I think Kotaku needs to tread very lightly in how they handle the PSN Outage coverage, let's take a look at this quote:

Owen Good— Lots of people vow all kinds of extreme things when they're pissed off, especially at giant corporations. Many come back for reasons of convenience or simply calming down. But a survey taken this week, reacting to the PlayStation Network outage, suggests that 21 percent of PS3 owners are considering selling their consoles and fleeing for Xbox Live.

Now let's all remember for some unknown reason it took Gawker ~2 weeks before they allowed people to cancel their registrations when their own system was hacked. They had no good reason as to why they wouldnt let people but it was fairly obvious they were hoping the longer it took the more people would calm down and not cancel their registration.

That's a pretty bold statement. There a link?

test_account

XP-39C²
CcrooK said:
That's a pretty bold statement. There a link?
http://kotaku.com/#!5797367/psn-outage-leaves-one-in-five-ps3-customers-considering-xbox-live

I dont think that it is as much as 21%, but i do not doubt that many people might concidering to change to Xbox 360 right now. People (especially the more casual users) hear about this PSN hack on the news and might get somewhat scared and therefor they might think about changing to another gaming system. It is afterall just concidering, doesnt mean that they will do it. I wonder what the poll result would be in like a month from now in comparison.

androvsky

test_account said:
Oh, i see, thanks for the info :) So this log in that picture/article has nothing to do with PSN?

I can't see how it possibly could have. It'd be like breaking into the Pentagon's computers through your local library's card catalog.

Granted, this is assuming Fireye's analysis is correct, I can't get to anything on that server at the moment.

If that article is correct and that is how PSN was hacked into, it was done from a U.S. Navy computer in Columbus, Ohio. That's quite a proxy...

LowParry

test_account said:
http://kotaku.com/#!5797367/psn-outage-leaves-one-in-five-ps3-customers-considering-xbox-live

I dont think that it is as much as 21%, but i do not doubt that many people might concidering to change to Xbox 360 right now. People (especially the more casual users) hear about this PSN hack on the news and might get somewhat scared and therefor they might think about changing to another gaming system. It is afterall just concidering, doesnt mean that they will do it. I wonder what the poll result would be in like a month from now in comparison.

Ehhh, I don't think it's going to be that extreme. I can see a smaller % leaving but not that much. That's crazy.

Persona7

Banned
plainr_ said:
I think Sony needs to give us an option (like XBL) to change account names. I don't feel comfortable knowing that there is probably a database out there that one could use to find out where I live simply by entering my PSN ID. Hilarious as it sounds, I have had some people genuinely pissed off at me for accidentally team killing them. God knows what these people are capable of if they get hold of our personal info.
You can't even change your secret question on your PSN account.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
test_account said:

Probably an extremely biased sample and beyond that I'll make two speculations:

1) many of those people are angry now but will get over it sooner than they think and won't follow through on whatever their current intentions may be

2) many people are probably responding in a politically prudent way that doesn't reflect their real intentions, i.e. sending a message to Sony that they are angry.

So yeah, basically I agree with you.

Hex

Banned
test_account said:

I think Kotaku are the last people that should open their mouths about this considering they were a part of that Gawker bit not that long ago.

noire

Unconfirmed Member
Pride said:
Shit, I still can't delete my gawker account. Last time I tried contacting them, they told me they were still working on it. Otherwise, I've stopped frequenting their blog network.

SRG01

androvsky said:
I can't see how it possibly could have. It'd be like breaking into the Pentagon's computers through your local library's card catalog.

Granted, this is assuming Fireye's analysis is correct, I can't get to anything on that server at the moment.

If that article is correct and that is how PSN was hacked into, it was done from a U.S. Navy computer in Columbus, Ohio. That's quite a proxy...

Wait, what? Where does it say that?

test_account

XP-39C²
androvsky said:

I understand. Which server by the way, the playstation.com/navigator-access... something?

CcrooK said:
Ehhh, I don't think it's going to be that extreme. I can see a smaller % leaving but not that much. That's crazy.
Yeah, 21% of the PS3 owners wont leave for sure. The poll is although only about people who concider it. I think when time goes by, people will either forget about the PSN hack or be to lazy to switch system. But i agree that someone will probably change system indeed.

hey_it's_that_dog said:
Probably an extremely biased sample and beyond that I'll make two speculations:

1) many of those people are angry now but will get over it sooner than they think and won't follow through on whatever their current intentions may be

2) many people are probably responding in a politically prudent way that doesn't reflect their real intentions, i.e. sending a message to Sony that they are angry.

So yeah, basically I agree with you.
True, i think this is the case indeed. There is also little info on how the poll was done. If it was done on a website like a simple "click to vote" poll, anyone could vote and there is no info on which age group etc. the voters are. If this is the case, there is very hard to know how representative this poll would be for the general/average PS3 user.

Hex said:
I think Kotaku are the last people that should open their mouths about this considering they were a part of that Gawker bit not that long ago.
Yeah. I dont know how much Kotaku has covered this PSN hack, but in some fairness to this specific article, the author does at least point out that the poll is only about people who concider it, not that people will sell their PS3 due to this PSN hack. Although the headline of the article might look kinda "shocking" (or what i shall say) indeed.

androvsky

SRG01 said:
Wait, what? Where does it say that?

What, the ip address coming from a Navy computer? You can look it up yourself, just paste the ip the article claims is the source of the hack into google. Granted, the geolocation can be iffy because the first site I checked said Columbus, Ohio, but another says Lemoore, California. Either way, it's a Navy computer.

I'm still having a very hard time believing someone hacked into PSN through a Gracenote proxy server. It's probably just some random attack that someone decided to pass around to make Sony look bad.

androvsky said:
What, the ip address coming from a Navy computer? You can look it up yourself, just paste the ip the article claims is the source of the hack into google. Granted, the geolocation can be iffy because the first site I checked said Columbus, Ohio, but another says Lemoore, California. Either way, it's a Navy computer.

I'm still having a very hard time believing someone hacked into PSN through a Gracenote proxy server. It's probably just some random attack that someone decided to pass around to make Sony look bad.

So is this IP address info legit or just speculation?

KongRudi

Banned
plainr_ said:

Put up traps in your house..
That way, when they come for you they'll be killed by your traps..
And don't believe anyone if they tell you are paranoid, they're probably in on it.

jax (old)

Banned
androvsky said:

Thread moved too fast in the original state but I never read about this IP address. Can you provide the link to the article that listed the IP? I mean, if they have an IP....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom