• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN:Last Online Over A Year Ago

Mossybrew

Every year or two Ill go through my PSN friends list and there are always a handful of people who havent been online in over a year. They usually have a decent sized library of games it looks like they were playing, then one day just stopped. I just removed five people from my friends list with this status and I wonder what their story was. Did their PS4 die and they just gave up? Wife got sick of gametime and issued an ultimatum? Move to Xbox ecosystem? Die?

Anyone else ever wonder what happens to these folks? Or have you yourself ever gone on hiatus from a console for that long?

Last edited:

Aion002

It Happens Season 1 GIF by Blunt Talk

People move on... One way or another.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier
Yeah it happens alot to me. Just seeing all of these IDs and wondering.. it's really sad sometimes, because some of them you knew and played with but nowhere to be found.

Antwix

I am one of those people. Around May of last year, I was quite busy and had been for quite a while so I wasn't playing much anyway. When I saw the price of games/systems shoot up, I sold my launch 500gb PS4 for about $400. I actually got a PS5 from a preorder I did at launch, but sold it to a buddy who really wanted it. Now I'm just waiting around for Gamestop to sell PS5s without being part of a stupid bundle since I have a ton of Gamestop credit. Not really in a rush. I'm happy with my XSX.

Aenima

I have a friend that is active on PSN but status say last online "xxx months ago" because he always logins as invisible/offline.

Others just stoped playing, because of work, relationships, whatever life trew at them that kept them away from gaming.

Leonidas

Sold my PS4 Pro sometime last year so my PSN account probably says that. I was going to get a PS5 Digital at launch but they were all sold out, now I just game on my beastly gaming rig. At this point I'll probably should just stick to PC exclusively and hope that Sony exclusives continue to show up there...

Banjo64

cumsessed
I didn’t get an Xbox One until the One S came out so that was a three year hiatus for me where I didn’t own or sign in to any Xbox.

I imagine it’s people who either get a PC, make a radical life shift, end up being content with just a Nintendo or switching from PS to Xbox or Xbox to PS.

I definitely think brand loyalty/digital game library is well overstated on GAF. Three of the younger lads in my family have all switched their main consoles in the last 12 months. The truth is most casuals just don’t give a fuck.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I use to take my PS3 and PC over to a family member’s house to download games because I had dial up. I use to always check to see that the game would run offline. Now a days I go offline cause I don’t need anyone monitoring me. I turn off those notifications to see when people come online. There is something about playing offline and away from the “list” that’s a lot more satisfying. I’ll sign in to my PS3-PS5 consoles, my Vita, and my phone. I definitely notice people I’ve added and they haven’t signed on in a super long time.

What I think stinks is playing through a really good game and you notice a bunch of people are playing it on day 1. Then you end up finishing the game and you go back to your friends list to see if they’re finished. You find out that they got past the first chapter and they haven’t played ever since. Who cares really? But these are considered Friends list, so that kind of stuff is why they tell you what games, trophies, and now time someone has dedicated to a game. I don’t care if I sign in as being invisible. People quit, people come back, and some do whatever. I have better friends in the community than I have playing a game with.

Bryank75

Banned
They evolved to PC.

I did that once, then I evolved again to PlayStation.... you will too some day.

OT: Loads of people on PSN appear offline, most don't want to be disturbed while they are playing and feeling immersed.

Last edited:

Shouta

Interesting I noticed is that PSN also tracks it depending on console, I think. I've logged into my PS3 to see folks who haven't logged in years but I know they're online on their PS4.

Xeaker

I have those too.
They were really active gamers, played every day, then one day they just disappeard.
But I had one guy who was not online for 8 years came suddenly back online some months ago lol.
But he only played one game a little and since then he is offline again.

Sleepwalker

I didn’t get an Xbox One until the One S came out so that was a three year hiatus for me where I didn’t own or sign in to any Xbox.

I imagine it’s people who either get a PC, make a radical life shift, end up being content with just a Nintendo or switching from PS to Xbox or Xbox to PS.

I definitely think brand loyalty/digital game library is well overstated on GAF. Three of the younger lads in my family have all switched their main consoles in the last 12 months. The truth is most casuals just don’t give a fuck.

True, my library is scattered across multiple accounts of psn, xbl, etc. I honestly just don't care. I know there are some games I've owned in the past that I have no idea where theya re now, but it doesn't keep me up at night. I'm not here to build a library or collect achievements that get me absolutely nothing. I buy a game, I play it, I move on.

Top Bottom