• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN NA - Sale of the Dead - Week 1

psychotron

Witcher at that price is an insane value. You’re looking at easily 100+ hours of content for $20.

I’m considering Edith Finch and Observer. Heard Observer had performance issues though.

Picked up Observer, Outlast 2, and finally the Alien Isolation Collection with the DLC I wanted from the get-go. Had some PSN funds handy via those $10 for $7 sales that keep popping up here and only had to pay around $16 in total.

Is Lone Survivor crossbuy on PS4?

That I don't know. Whenever it pops up on sales it seems that the PS3 and Vita versions are x-buy with each other, but not PS4. PS4 version is x-save however.

If I'm wrong someone will correct me down the thread.

It's a great game regardless.

PudieRSC

Asked this over on Reddit but I'll ask here too.

I'm not sure if I should get Witcher 3. I'm not a fan of the Souldbourne games or Skyrim and while I know they're both different games I feel like they share some DNA. I also never got into Mass Effect.

I tend to gravitate towards 3rd person action games mostly. I love the Naughty Dog games, consider Zelda one of my favorite series, etc.

I feel like Witcher might be a little slower/too open for me. That said they hype is getting to me.

Thoughts?

Viale

I'm not sure if I should get Witcher 3. I'm not a fan of the Souldbourne games or Skyrim and while I know they're both different games I feel like they share some DNA. I also never got into Mass Effect.

I tend to gravitate towards 3rd person action games mostly. I love the Naughty Dog games, consider Zelda one of my favorite series, etc.

I feel like Witcher might be a little slower/too open for me. That said they hype is getting to me.

Thoughts?

I loved Witcher 3, and it's one of my all time favorites, so I'm a bit biased. I don't know if I would exactly compare it to Soulsborne games or Skyrim. I guess the setting sort of matches Skyrim in that it's a high fantasy setting, but I found the writing notably better, the quests feel meaningful in the sense that a lot of them have stories that I cared about. For instance, I would joyfully do quests that were level 2 quests I missed at level 30s just so I could see the stories I had missed.

It's still very much an RPG, and there's around 180 hours of content in the GOTY edition if you wanted to go through it all, so it is quite a commitment. Do you tend to like RPGs in general? Are you fan of high fantasy settings typically?

Side note, anyone here have recommendations for Edith Finch? I've been tempted for a while and having it for 13$ might be the tipping point.

PudieRSC

I loved Witcher 3, and it's one of my all time favorites, so I'm a bit biased. I don't know if I would exactly compare it to Soulsborne games or Skyrim. I guess the setting sort of matches Skyrim in that it's a high fantasy setting, but I found the writing notably better, the quests feel meaningful in the sense that a lot of them have stories that I cared about. For instance, I would joyfully do quests that were level 2 quests I missed at level 30s just so I could see the stories I had missed.

It's still very much an RPG, and there's around 180 hours of content in the GOTY edition if you wanted to go through it all, so it is quite a commitment. Do you tend to like RPGs in general? Are you fan of high fantasy settings typically?

I have no problem with fantasy/RPGs in general even though it's not my go-to.

How much of the story is actual cutscenes and dialogue and how much is journals or whatever like Skyrim the like? That's actually a big turn off for me.

Can someone tell me what's the difference between Resident Evil triple pack (4,5,6) and individual games? If you buy them individually is cheaper than buying triple pack, so I would really like to know what's the difference between them.

Kwixotik

How much of the story is actual cutscenes and dialogue and how much is journals or whatever like Skyrim the like? That's actually a big turn off for me.
Acquiring books is sometimes necessary, but you wont miss much plot by not actually reading them.

Oneself

Thoughts?
I wouldn't recommend it based on what you described. But you should definitely get Horizon.

Viale

Most of the story is told through dialogue/cutscenes, but since it's the third game in a series plus a continuation of a series of novels, it has handy notes about certain characters to catch people up, but it's not really necessary I would say.

I need a couch coop game.

Which is a better co-op game gameplay and gunplay and content wise, Resident Evil 5 or Resident Evil 6, assuming I've played neither of the Triple Pack title (4, 5, 6)?

Thanks! :D

Cudder

No. The Vita and PS3 versions are cross-buy. However, the PS4 and Vita versions are cross-save. It's a great game and just as good if not better on Vita. Either way, be sure to play wearing headphones!
Hmmm, so if I already have the Platinum for the Vita version, if I buy the PS4 version, will it automatically give me the Platinum once I load my save?

Bardiche

Damn, I got Code Veronica for full price not too long ago, but it's a good game and completely worth it for that price.

dacalo

Thoughts?

This is coming from someone who couldn't get into the first one, but managed to finish the second one, one time play through. The third in the trilogy is pretty damn good. Just don't get burned out by all the side quests but storytelling, music, world building, and characters are really good. I hate reading journals/books as well. Take your time and enjoy the ride. For $20, you can't go wrong.

The DLC's, omg, the DLC's. They are better than a lot of stand alone games out there.

I need a couch coop game.

Which is a better co-op game gameplay and gunplay and content wise, Resident Evil 5 or Resident Evil 6, assuming I've played neither of the Triple Pack title (4, 5, 6)?

Thanks! :D

RE6 gunplay and gameplay mechanics absolutely shit on the other RE games

The pacing is poor, the level design (if you can call it level design) is garbage and there's too many QTEs. But the gameplay is the best the series has ever been. It's closer to Vanquish than RE4.

Roubjon

I started playing Witcher 3 and it's pretty rad! Really good vibes and atmosphere. And the dedication to making even the most generic of NPCs such lively characters is something special.

I also played Thumper for a bit as well. Really cool and immersive rhythm game, but I'm a bit confused with how the scoring works. I'll have to read up on it later.

kaydigi

Out of all the horror games on that list....

There is one game I will recommend above all else.

Do yourself a favor and buy Corpse Party.

Week 1...

Playable on the PlayStation tv?

lupinko

Wow, still no Spend $100 Get $15 promotion this month? Last 2 years was on the first week of October. I wonder if they are dropping that deal in favor of the Buy 2 Select Games Get a 20% off coupon promotion instead.

Yeah I was going to pull the trigger on both RE4 and DR1 until you brought this up. I'll still probably buy them, probably just RE4 tho.

N° 2048

Tempted, fuck, but I really have to stop just buying games for the sake of sales. I'm trying to buy games when I know I will play them right away.

As a heads up, it appears Witcher 3 CE is on sale for $19.99 just about everywhere. I picked it up on Steam for that price after having held off until it hit "$20 or less".

it's still good!

David, you know I like Dead Souls but no. Just no!

If someone who has zero experience with Yakuza picks up Dead Souls they are probably gonna hate it and the series as a whole. Dead Souls is pretty much a fan service game and people who are not familiar with Yakuza should just ignore it until they play some of the mainline entries

ron_bato

Snagged the Witcher 3 Complete edition due to the pro support. Didn't play the expansions yet, so pretty excited to hop back in.

$5 to play Dead Island again, having only experienced the buggy PS3 version? Suuuure.

Anyone wanna join me? I’ve played the hell out of Dying Light and I have a massive backlog, but I just want to have a bit of fun with this one on a casual level.

Who’s with me?

PSN ID SolidChamp

Only polite, down-to-earth people need apply. lol

Briarios

Definitely getting Observer, then possibly either Thumper or Edith Finch. Not a bad sale, especially after the VR and flash sale

CosmicElement

Neo Member
I'll probably pick up What Remains of Edith Finch and Layers of Fear: Masterpiece Edition. I've only heard good things about them.

Maybe Observer as well. I'm also hoping The Evil Within DLCs go on sale next week.

Pellaidh

Neo Member
This might not be the best place to ask, but I see that NHL 18 is part of this sale (or I guess, a separate EA sports sale that's running at the same time), and I've recently been enjoying playing random sports games, so I've been thinking of picking up a hockey game.

With that said, which NHL version would people say is the best, if I've got no real interest in online play or completely up to date rosters. With the sale, NHL 18 is now the same price as 17, and 10$ more expansive than 16, so the price isn't really that much of an issue, but from my experience sometimes sports franchises actually become worse with newer entries (NBA 2k18 being the most obvious example right now).

So, out of the three PS4 NHL games, is there one that's generally considered the best, or are they more or less the same and I should just pick up 16 and save myself 10$.

RE6 gunplay and gameplay mechanics absolutely shit on the other RE games

The pacing is poor, the level design (if you can call it level design) is garbage and there's too many QTEs. But the gameplay is the best the series has ever been. It's closer to Vanquish than RE4.

Thanks for this! Whats a better couch co-op game, RE5 or RE6? I will something that my casual friendly doesnt struggle with, and still is a thrill to play.

Thanks again!

HotHamBoy

Finally picked up Salt & Sanctuary

Gameplay is great, atmosphere is great, feels like Dark Souls and Castlevania had a baby.

But god damn the art is terrible. Just what the fuck? It looks like a kid made it entirely in Corel Paint.

The game is over a gigabyte on PS4 but right now I'm playing on Vita and the file size is only about 150mb. You can tell they compressed the shit out of everything because all the text looks really low res. The game looks sub-native resolution.

I still recommend it at $9, game is really fun.

Out of all the horror games on that list....

There is one game I will recommend above all else.

Do yourself a favor and buy Corpse Party.

Week 1...

I really didn't like Corpse Party at all.

Maybe it just wasn't for me but it's one if the most over-rated games I've seen talked about on GAF.
Opinions on plague road? Turn base roguelike, sounds right up my alley.

The few reviews I've seen are tepid at best.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Thanks for this! Whats a better couch co-op game, RE5 or RE6? I will something that my casual friendly doesnt struggle with, and still is a thrill to play.

Thanks again!

RE5 is a blast in coop.

I could not honestly recommend RE6 to anyone in good faith, its one of the worst gane I played last gen.

Yoss

Neo Member
If I can only get one, should I go for Edith Finch or The Sexy Brutale? I've been wanting to play both but funds are tight.

Top Bottom