• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN thread: PSN up in all areas except HK/Korea (Store is not up yet)

Status
Not open for further replies.

okenny

Banned
HaRyu said:
Is this in the wrong thread?
Edit: Oh lol, nvm, didnt bother to scroll up.
Edit2: Okay, no... I'm just tired. Why is this in this thread?

You're not that tired.... I don goof'd!

Tellaerin

watership said:
1121_mz_35tech_hackers.jpg

xKilltheMx said:
WTF is that thing...

That's 'Dildo', the sixth hobbit. Sadly, the 'Dildo hacks Mordor' scene never made it into the movie.

alphaNoid

Banned
okenny said:
22 Days.

Can anyone think of any major (as in massive user-base) services that have been down this long?
Most companies would go out of business with this kind of outage. While Sony will recover mainly because its fans are willing to endure more than most, its going to cost them for several years.

I cannot think of a single other service of this scale thats ever been down this long.

DieHardMcClane

Neo Member
Thanks for letting us know. So that probably also means the devs got the new firmware aswell. Shouldn't be long until Japan is live. I just want to play Portal Co-Op!!!!!!

vissione

Banned
If Dev network is up then people on CFW can play online and play while us on OFW cannot? The Network being up =/= new firmware so CFW online play is still possible?

This kind of information isn't really helpful, especially if CFW activity forces them to close the Dev network again.

jackdoe

alphaNoid said:
Most companies would go out of business with this kind of outage.
Those companies would be those that depend on the service for a substantial amount of revenue that could make or break the company. I don't think PSN is quite that level for Sony.

sleepykyo

Professor Beef said:
Well, there was that "28 Days Later" movie, if that counts.

Great movie. For the sequel just watch the opening sequence up until well you'll know then eject the disc. You've seen the best 20 minutes or so, and the rest is just a letdown.

Speaking of letdowns, press the button already, psn monkey.

Tellaerin

alphaNoid said:
Most companies would go out of business with this kind of outage. While Sony will recover mainly because its fans are willing to endure more than most, its going to cost them for several years.

I cannot think of a single other service of this scale thats ever been down this long.

I think you're underestimating how short consumers' attention spans are.

Sure, there'll be people who keep grumbling for awhile after the service goes back up, but it won't last. It never does. As long as this remains a one-shot occurrence (and I imagine it will), folks will go right back to buying PS3's and playing games on PSN like nothing ever happened. Though I imagine the competition will try their damnedest to turn it into a permanent black mark against the system, 'In all the time it's been running, PSN was down once, for around a month, and Sony made up for it afterward by giving people a couple of free games' isn't the kind of thing that's going to drive them out of the market.

sleepykyo said:
Great movie. For the sequel just watch the opening sequence up until well you'll know then eject the disc. You've seen the best 20 minutes or so, and the rest is just a letdown.
Seriously. What an awful movie after that scene. Not even Rose Byrne could save.

Atomski

jackdoe said:
Those companies would be those that depend on the service for a substantial amount of revenue that could make or break the company. I don't think PSN is quite that level for Sony.

I don't know, think about it.. if Sony gets a percentage of sales from all items sold on PSN and its been down for 22 days. That has to be a freaking shit load of money they are not making by the day. Not to mention every publisher that relies on PSN to be up to sell their games/dlc must be super pissed and demanding compensation for loss of sales. Then you have future damages of sales due to customers no longer trusting the service. PSN games after this debacle will surely sell less than they potentially could have.

jackdoe said:

Kinda like S.O.C.O.M 4? How many copies do you think that fucker sold? Released the same day basically as the outage, a PS3 exclusive online shooter. Talk about getting the short end of the stick.

jackdoe

cpp_is_king said:
Kinda like S.O.C.O.M 4? How many copies do you think that fucker sold? Released the same day basically as the outage, a PS3 exclusive online shooter. Talk about getting the short end of the stick.
Sony isn't just the games division, no matter how hard it is to believe. If it were, then Sony would have crumbled long ago when they sold PS3s for a loss. It's also a major electronics manufacturer.

Atomski

jackdoe said:
Sony isn't just the games division, no matter how hard it is to believe. If it were, then Sony would have crumbled long ago when they sold PS3s for a loss. It's also a major electronics manufacturer.
They are able to sell systems at a loss because the real money comes from software sales.

Also it doesn't matter if its a huge company with many divisions. If one division proceeds to suck money from the rest they would just shut that division down.

jackdoe

Atomski said:
They are able to sell systems at a loss because the real money comes from software sales.

Also it doesn't matter if its a huge company with many divisions. If one division proceeds to suck money from the rest they would just shut that division down.
Yes. But that wasn't what I was talking about. I was making a reference to an earlier statement about an outage like PSN killing a company like Sony. It obviously wouldn't and would at most lead to a closure of the games division. We're kind of saying the same thing here.

Tellaerin

Atomski said:

Companies are willing to take losses from a particular division in order to maintain their presence in a particular market. If that wasn't the case, MS would've jumped out of the console business. Sony's not going anywhere.

Atomski

jackdoe said:
Yes. But that wasn't what I was talking about. I was making a reference to an earlier statement about an outage like PSN killing a company like Sony. It obviously wouldn't and would at most lead to a closure of the games division. We're kind of saying the same thing here.

Just for 22 days sure, I don't think it would force them to shut down. Now on the other hand if PSN continues to have issues (like more attacks or instability) in the coming months I could see a serious shit storm at Sony.

Tellaerin said:
Companies are willing to take losses from a particular division in order to maintain their presence in a particular market. If that wasn't the case, MS would've jumped out of the console business. Sony's not going anywhere.
I still think thats different though. Its pretty clear MS knew it would need to take a loss last gen to have a chance next gen. This plan actually worked out pretty well to.

simtmb

I'm done. These threads have provided the 'lulz', but it's just making me more anxious.

Purchased several games for online with friends right before the hack, could of went 360/PC but went PS3 due to them. Now 22 days later, the break i had is pretty much over.

Time to give up on all these PS3 titles i had planned to play online while i was free.

: (

Loudninja

SOE MMOs offline for "few more days"
Sony Online Entertainment MMOs will be offline for "at least a few more days", the company has announced.

The compensation packages have been beefed for each SOE game fittingly, and now encompass in-game items, currency and Station Cash - as well as free game time (30 days free plus one extra for each day the SOE game has been offline). We've listed specific compensation for each game below.

US SOE Station Account holders also receive a complimentary identity theft security program through Debix. "SOE will be offering similar programs, if and as available, and will provide details as they're confirmed for each country or territory," a company statement read.

Lifetime subscribers to SOE games will be compensated further. Free Realms lifers will receive 20,000 coins, Clone Wars Adventures lifers 7500 Galactic Credits and DC Universe Online lifers 10 extra Marks of Distinction.

All Station Access subscribers will receive 500 Station Cash on top of that.

"We thank you for your patience as we continue to work around the clock to restore our game services. We know this has been a frustrating time for you and appreciate your understanding as we work to confirm the security of our network," said SOE in a statement.

"We are currently in the process of an extensive upgrade to our network to further protect your information from future attacks. It will likely be at least a few more days before we restore our services, and when we come back online, here is what you can expect for each of our game services."

DC Universe Online: Batman and Two-Face masks, plus 30 Marks of Distinction
Free Realms: seven free daily items
Clone Wars Adventures: Count Dooku V2 outfit
EverQuest 1: double XP, double rare mob spawns and double faction gain events
EverQuest 2: double XP, double guild XP, loot bonanza and city festival events
Vanguard: Saga of Heroes: double XP events
Star Wars Galaxies: mini model of Boba Fett's ship Slave I
Magic: The Gathering - Tactics: four Ivory Mask, Duress and Angelheart Vial spells, plus 500 Station Cash
PoxNora: Limited edition Carrionling, Welcome Back tournaments (with 5K prize purse) and two Draft Tournaments, plus 500 Station Cash
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-13-soe-mmos-offline-for-few-more-days

Sblargh

Banned
lol @ me betting April 30. :(
What PSN being down brought me:
- Finished all ladders, challenges and story mode for MK9 (this one is cheating because I was going to do that before going online anyway, which is why I had a total of one online MK9 match)
- Played a lot of civilization 5 and minecraft. At least a lot more than I would.
- Finally bought and finished Portal (yeah, the first one).
- Bought and am playing Tropico 3.
- Downloaded and am playing The Elder Scrolls: Arena (yeah, the first one!).

Hanmik

A report has arrived at Electronic Theatre suggesting that a number of developers have been granted access to the PlayStation Network matchmaking service. Although developer access remains separate from that which the public would utilise for playing videogames online, it is nonetheless a positive sign that the PlayStation Network may soon be available for consumers.

After the recent reports suggesting that many PlayStation Network features will not return until next month, Sony Computer Entertainment (SCE) had stated that getting the public matchmaking online was a top priority. This essentially means that gamers would be able to play games online, but may not have access to a number of other features, including the PlayStation Store and external services. According to Electronic Theatre’s source, the PlayStation Network is currently only available to developers who have already registered, as no new account sign-ups are allowed currently.

The PlayStation Network service has been unavailable since 20th April, following a hack that saw millions of user accounts compromised. SCE has assured that the return of PlayStation Network will only be viable once the security issues have been ironed out. Electronic Theatrewill keep you updated with all the latest details on the PlayStation Network.

http://www.electronictheatre.co.uk/...-developers-regain-playstation-network-access

is Neogaf this report ? ;o)

Momo

Banned
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-05-13-psn-online-gaming-return-imminent

The internal PSN developer network is online again, suggesting Sony may switch matchmaking online soon.

"The internal PSN developer network is online again, at least it seems for some, although things are still a bit shaky at the moment such as lack of new account sign up," reported NeoGAF user Kagari.

"Looks like the full network, at least the online play/account part of it, will be back soon."

Earlier this week Eurogamer heard from a source that Sony planned to bring PlayStation Network matchmaking back online within the next couple of days.

When contacted for comment, SCE corporate communications director Patrick Seybold told Eurogamer, "We're working to get the network back on as soon as we can." Eurogamer has again contacted Sony for comment.

PlayStation 3 online gaming has been unavailable since Sony shut the PSN down on 20th April following the hack that saw millions of user accounts compromised.

Personal data, including names, addresses and passwords were stolen. Sony is unsure whether user credit card details were also stolen.

Just saw it on Twatter lol

Hanmik

Momo said:

what..?

"The internal PSN developer network is online again, at least it seems for some, although things are still a bit shaky at the moment such as lack of new account sign up," reported NeoGAF user Kagari.

reported NeoGAF user Kagari.

reported NeoGAF user Kagari.

user Kagari.

oh oh ... is Eurogamer getting banned from Neogaf now..? lol

It's going to be today or mid next week. No middleground.

Really getting tired of the mentally handicapped AI teammate bots in Brink while opposing team are super accurate.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Kagari's gonna get
in
famous.

simtmb said:
I'm done. These threads have provided the 'lulz', but it's just making me more anxious.

Purchased several games for online with friends right before the hack, could of went 360/PC but went PS3 due to them. Now 22 days later, the break i had is pretty much over.

Time to give up on all these PS3 titles i had planned to play online while i was free.

: (

My sympathies, that's a shame.

Hanmik

I was looking at these two (supposedly real) leaked pages of launch dates from GameStop

s1Q7K.jpg

Aej9S.jpg

and I did not find PSN anywhere on them.. so I guess this confirms no PSN in 2012..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom