• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN to limit gamesharing from five to two -Not retroactive- (Andriasang)

duckroll

Going along with this change, Sony will be making the process of deactivating games simpler. Previously, you could only activate and deactivate games on the PS3 or PSP. Sony will be opening a PlayStation Network account management website, and you'll now be able to handle your rights there.

Great news. I can finally deactivate my dead PS3.

Cataferal

Digital Foundry
This will help lower PSN prices. Paying once for a game that could be played separately on 5 different PS3s likely encouraged those ridiculous price points for full PS3 games.

IrishNinja

carlos said:
same here, got 3 dead ones :(

goddamn, man. please tell me you're just unlucky and not setting your system on a subwoofer cooler.

The Faceless Master said:
i wonder how often they will allow activations and deactivations... that's the real key.

this too; if its frequent enough, it just becomes gamesharing on a schedule.

Cataferal said:
This will help lower PSN prices. Paying once for a game that could be played separately on 5 different PS3s likely encouraged those ridiculous price points for full PS3 games.
HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

Cataferal said:
no, those prices are to appease retailers.

Well, the key word here is exploitation. Even under these limitations, the "black market" boards are probably already thinking of the best ways to "exploit" this.

Solution? Like I always said: just copy what 360 does.

Another problem with this activation/account being able to be logged on on other consoles is there is another undesirable "black market" out there - trophy buyers. That's right, you heard right. People are paying for other people to log into their account and get trophies for them. On 360, it's not as simple to do this, thus it almost never happens.

Copying 360's system outright would get rid of both the "gamesharing" and "trophy buyer" black markets and cons.

The Faceless Master said:
i wonder how often they will allow activations and deactivations... that's the real key.
This is true. Xbox Live allows once per year, just like iTunes. Better be at least that.

IrishNinja

jetsetfluken said:
Another problem with this activation/account being able to be logged on on other consoles is there is another undesirable "black market" out there - trophy buyers. That's right, you heard right. People are paying for other people to log into their account and get trophies for them. On 360, it's not as simple to do this, thus it almost never happens.

i mean, i'm willing to believe this happens, it just boggles my mind more than the people who collect unopened games. what's the point of e-peen if you didn't even earn it?! at least cheaters/hackers did shit themselves. wow.

Shadow780

IrishNinja said:
i mean, i'm willing to believe this happens, it just boggles my mind more than the people who collect unopened games. what's the point of e-peen if you didn't even earn it?! at least cheaters/hackers did shit themselves. wow.

What do you have against me, HUH HUH?! :*(

baekshi

Banned
Dammn it... I have two PS3's and share one with a brother. I guess I'll have to deactivate one of my own . wish it were 3 :[

shuri

Banned
DatBreh said:
I participate in a number of lesser known gaming forums and on all of them there is a network of gamesharing taking place. Big forums like neogaf, ign, and gamefaqs wont allow that sort of organization but its def. considered a major benefit when participating in other forums.
bahahaa, gaf had this giant megathread THAT WAS MODS SPONSORED about game sharing..

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
IrishNinja said:

Well some of the top trophy guys have to do it

It's all about "Overcoming the Virtual Odds"

Fun Fact: Cheapest platinums = $10 (the Pixar/Dreamworks), highest I ever saw was $70 (Think it was MK vs DC)

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
duckroll said:

spwolf said:

Cheers.

2 is really the minimum they can get away with - for example, for Suite content, assuming you can bring it over to multiple devices (e.g. a phone + Vita, or tablet + Vita). If Suite were to come to PS3 or other home device, they really should make it 3 total, IMO.

duckroll

gofreak said:
Cheers.

2 is really the minimum they can get away with - for example, for Suite content, assuming you can bring it over to multiple devices (e.g. a phone + Vita, or tablet + Vita). If Suite were to come to PS3 or other home device, they really should make it 3 total, IMO.

I agree that 3 would be a better buffer. I don't even think reducing it is a good idea for consumers (obviously there are reasons why they're doing it which will benefit them, and decrease the rampant level of gamesharing taking place), but what I'm really happy about is that they're finally crawling out of the dark ages and allowing activations to be managed online.

Now that anyone can deactivate your account from your console by a web application (loging through PSN), you'll want to keep your PSN password VERY safe.

IrishNinja

Shadow780 said:
What do you have against me, HUH HUH?! :*(

hahaha, caught one! to each their own, friend.

shuri said:
bahahaa, gaf had this giant megathread THAT WAS MODS SPONSORED about game sharing..

and you cry about it in every one of these threads.

GraveRobberX said:
Well some of the top trophy guys have to do it

It's all about "Overcoming the Virtual Odds"

Fun Fact: Cheapest platinums = $10 (the Pixar/Dreamworks), highest I ever saw was $70 (Think it was MK vs DC)

wait, "have to"? i mean, i admit the top tier has some godly e-peen, but it's all fluff if you even suspect they're paying others to do it. i mean, your #'s are out the roof and your shit's legit, no? it can be done!
i just don't see the point if its not even that player's doing, is all.

duckroll

DangerousDave said:
Now that anyone can deactivate your account from your console by a web application (loging through PSN), you'll want to keep your PSN password VERY safe.

Or just have PSN accounts which are actually tied to real existing emails you have access to? :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
IrishNinja said:

I have an unopened Dissidia -Final Fantasy- for the PSP here. It's an extra copy that my relative accidentally bought. So do I count? :p

IrishNinja

oh, Ultros. if that counts, next time i'm selling a game in the buy/sell thread, ima rephrase it a bit.

SELLING EARTHBOUND SNES COLLECTION! $1,000, cart only.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
IrishNinja said:
oh, Ultros. if that counts, next time i'm selling a game in the buy/sell thread, ima rephrase it a bit.

SELLING EARTHBOUND SNES COLLECTION! $1,000, cart only.

Funny, I bought my Earthbound cart on Amazon for $50 6 years ago.

lockload

Not really up to speed but does this mean 2 systems when offline and any system when online?

Bit like xbox where one offline and any when online..

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
You know this dampers the multiple accounts issue of trophy collecting also

The #1 guy is 3+ people playing on the same account, that is gonna be some hoop jumping to get shit done

I wouldn't be surprised if the top guys who sent gaming websites that PSN was capped @ level 50, then got it unlocked and SONY went "What the Fuck!?!" and looked into it lol

carlos

IrishNinja said:
goddamn, man. please tell me you're just unlucky and not setting your system on a subwoofer cooler.

Lol no,

60GB day one system died of yellow light of death (had 1000 hours of warhawk played, among other things)

2nd 60GB day one system got fried in an electrical storm (my assumption, no power at all)

3rd 40GB got Ylod as well

Crossing my fingers that the slim systems are better built

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Any game purchased before then will continue to have the five system count.
Hmm, I bought a lot of stuff on PSN, so this is kind of okay. Glad they were a bit reasonable.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Official blog post

http://blog.eu.playstation.com/2011...-and-psp-game-content-on-playstation-network/

We’d like to inform you of some upcoming changes to the usage policies for PlayStation Network game content. As of November 18, 2011, the number of devices that can be activated on one PlayStation Network account for game content purchased from the PlayStation Store will be updated.

For game content purchased after November 18, 2011, a new policy will apply and the number of devices that can be activated will be as follows:

PS3: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PS3 systems.

PSP: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PSP systems.

Please note that this update will not affect game content purchased before November 18. The PSP rights include PSP-1000/2000/3000 series as well as the PSPgo system.

PlayStation Network users are able to change the activation setting through each device, and Sony Computer Entertainment plans to provide a new PlayStation Network account management website where users will be able to deactivate particular devices attached to their PlayStation Network account via their PC.

For more details on how to activate/deactivate the devices, please contact consumer services.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
darkwing said:
per system

That's fine then. If it's two PS3s and two PSPs [and two Vitas and two other PS Suite devices?] then my concerns re. Suite content (if and as it expands to more platforms) would be moot.

Well as long as they are allowing 2 I am ok with this. I understand how game sharing really sucks for the developers like PixelJunk. And I don't like people getting a free ride. But I buy games on 2 different accounts and need to be able to play them my my primary regardless of what account I buy on. So as long as they let me do that.

Man

Management website is a great thing. Sharing with two is totally acceptable with that in place.

With the clarification that it's 2 PS3 consoles and 2 PSP/Vita consoles, I'm not so concerned anymore.

Plus, online de-activation? Took damn long enough.

Finally Sony has done what a lot of developers were asking for. Too many people were circumventing purchasing anything from PSN by exploiting this "feature".

DiscoJer

V_Ben said:
...Huh. This isn't great news for sites like ours. (PSNStores). We use gamesharing so that we can play multiplayer games for review, and this is going to make things tricky... We effectively have a master account, and then we redeem all our codes on there. Now we can't really do that.

Ditto for us over at PSPMinis. We have one account for NA games and one for EU, and 5 people on the site and we flip back and forth as needed.

Now granted, generally there aren't that many Minis coming out so we never really need everyone on one account at once, but still, it's going to be a pain in the ass...

pharmboy044 said:
Finally Sony has done what a lot of developers were asking for. Too many people were circumventing purchasing anything from PSN by exploiting this "feature".

Yep. Those "black market" sharing sites like CAG are imploding right now with people boycotting that they won't buy games on PSN again.

Well, just goes to show you they were more interested in the novelty of getting games free/cheaper than the actual games themselves. One look at a "Gamesharer"'s trophy list will tell you they have tons of PSN games that they only have 0%-20% complete.

Don't let the door hit you on your way out, guys.

Top Bottom