• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN to limit gamesharing from five to two -Not retroactive- (Andriasang)

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
http://andriasang.com/comyvi/

Anoop Gantayat from Andriasang is reporting this change.
See if other sites report it later today or not. *edit: Added PSblog
Most PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Portable download titles can currently be activated and played on five systems. That's about to change.

Sony announced today that it will be reducing the activation count from five to two. The turning date is November 18, when Sony will hold a PlayStation Network maintenance. Any game purchased after that can be activated and played on only two systems. Any game purchased before then will continue to have the five system count (in other words, the two system limitation will not apply to purchases made before 11/18).

Going along with this change, Sony will be making the process of deactivating games simpler. Previously, you could only activate and deactivate games on the PS3 or PSP. Sony will be opening a PlayStation Network account management website, and you'll now be able to handle your rights there.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011...-and-psp-game-content-on-playstation-network/

We’d like to inform you of some upcoming changes to the usage policies for PlayStation Network game content. As of November 18, 2011, the number of devices that can be activated on one PlayStation Network account for game content purchased from the PlayStation Store will be updated as follows:

For game content purchased after November 18, 2011, a new policy will apply and the number of devices that can be activated will be as follows:

* PS3: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PS3 systems.
* PSP: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PSP systems.

Please note that this update will not affect game content purchased before November 18. The PSP rights include PSP-1000/2000/3000 series as well as the PSPgo system.

PlayStation Network users are able to change the activation setting through each device, and Sony Computer Entertainment plans to provide a new PlayStation Network account management website where users will be able to deactivate particular devices attached to their PlayStation Network account via their PC.
Thank Killthee for the images
3mESj.jpg

5lwT7.jpg

BiR65.jpg

E-phonk

Banned
What if my console breaks Sony?

Edit: ok, this quote helps a lot, should've read better:

Sony will be opening a PlayStation Network account management website, and you'll now be able to handle your rights there.

Eusis

Hope they make it easier to deactivate systems to make up for it then (see prior post), because then I won't mind too much.

I wouldn't have a huge issue with this if there was an easy way to enable/disable licenses. PSP/PSV should have a separate limit of two each.

E-phonk said:
What if my console breaks Sony?

well, considering a call can deactivate your system, the chance that you deactivate it aswell before it goes totally dead, and the fact that you would still have the chance to download it on another system... i think this isn't an issue.

But, to people with 3 ps3s on a household, it may be a problem.

Eusis

Ah, so it IS improved, great. Would've preferred a 3 system limit or something though, just for a bit of extra room, but it's not a big deal.

Sony will be opening a PlayStation Network account management website, and you'll now be able to handle your rights there.

So I can finally deactivate my two dead fat PS3s that Sony refused to? OH HAPPY DAY!

EloquentM

aka Mannny
blitzcloud said:
well, considering a call can deactivate your system, the chance that you deactivate it aswell before it goes totally dead, and the fact that you would still have the chance to download it on another system... i think this isn't an issue.

But, to people with 3 ps3s on a household, it may be a problem.
according to CS Sony will only reset the count once out of "goodwill".

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
So wait, in order to have "one" activation for PSP/Vita, I have to deactivate my PSP first then activate my Vita?

Eusis

EloquentM said:
hopefully. hopefully there's no fine print to this management system
I imagine at worst they'll require you to go online with that system first before it's deactivated. Hopefully that isn't the case.

Goldrusher

Sony will be making the process of deactivating games simpler. Previously, you could only activate and deactivate games on the PS3 or PSP.
You can't (de)activate games, only systems.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Title should be fixed and add "Sony adds PSN account management website"

Hanmik

Does this mean that sony is making the management website work again..? I have not been able to log in since after the hack..

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Now Capcom should patch games like Final Fight Double Impact and Bonic Commando Rearmed 2 to not require an online connection. That's some of the worst shit in all of gaming.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ULTROS! said:
Title should be fixed and add "Sony adds PSN account management website"
Got room for two words sadly. I tried to make it as informative and to the point for people browsing.

Important parts are bolded in OP of course too.

Jonnyram

ULTROS! said:
So wait, in order to have "one" activation for PSP/Vita, I have to deactivate my PSP first then activate my Vita?
You can have two PS3s and two PSPs, so I assume they'll add two Vitas to that too, right? Unless you mean for the PSP content specifically - then ┐(´-`)┌

Twinduct

So some good with the bad I guess.
Wasn't really part of the gamesharing scene, so not personally effected, but still sucks for those who actually do use the system (I imagine this might also become an issue for beta giveaway accounts?).

Atleast we're getting a central place to deactivate systems.

Raonak

Banned
Hmm.. the website allowing you to deactivate makes up for it imo; I have had my account activated on my first ps3(died), my refurb,(died) and my current ps3; and my friend's old ps3(died).

I need to deactive thoes dead accounts.

This is a good thing in ways, people are taking advantage of the "gamesharing" stuff way too much, and it's really hurting small PSN devs such as myself. One buyer, five people...smartly split up with new accounts every time, being auctioned off on sites like Cheapassgamer in a black marketplace-like setting. It's not professional on Sony's part.

I understand needing to have more activation slots if your console breaks, but there's other ways around this that other services employ without the need of people getting all their friends free stuff - XBL, Steam, iTunes, etc.

To those that need to deactivate all slots, you can manually do so by contacting Sony, but they will only do it once for you.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This sounds like a good thing. They're letting us "manage our rights"... That'll be good.

Hanmik

Goldrusher said:
Nope.

You activate systems. There's a limit of 5 PS3s and 5 PSPs per account.

Thats right .. But you can still activate or deactivate games and/or videos on that system..

Ps3 - account management - system activation - ps3/psp - game/video .

BocoDragon

jetsetfluken said:
This is a good thing in ways, people are taking advantage of the "gamesharing" stuff way too much, and it's really hurting small PSN devs such as myself. One buyer, five people...smartly split up with new accounts every time, being auctioned off on sites like Cheapassgamer in a black marketplace-like setting. It's not professional on Sony's part.

I understand needing to have more activation slots if your console breaks, but there's other ways around this that other services employ without the need of people getting all their friends free stuff - XBL, Steam, iTunes, etc.
Normally I am all for consumer-advantage... but I can agree with this. Game sharing is weird. It's not something that consumers asked for. I can't think of many legit uses for it, but on the other hand it facilitates freeloading.

If you want to share a game with a friend... invite them to your house; lend them the disc :p

Majine said:
I didn't realize gamesharing is that widespread.

From a "black market" on sites like Cheapassgamer to Little Billy giving all his friends his password so they can download the latest COD map pack for free, it is more than you think.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
jetsetfluken said:
I've never heard of this sort of thing. I can't imagine it makes a big impact, how many people participate in those?

Also consider some sales might be from having a $1 price point person instead of 0 buyers at $5 a pop. Just a thought, I'm very price sensitive myself. Valve seems to think that each price point is mostly a different market and it doesn't really cannibalize sales from other price points (granted if you want a $15 game anyway and get it for $3 it doesn't matter).

*Unless there's some other thread on CAG it doesn't seem like too many are doing it, maybe a few hundred at most?
BocoDragon said:
If you want to share a game with a friend... invite them to your house; lend them the disc :p
But this is PSN and soon if you lend someone a disc they won't have MP because you used the code :/

V_Ben

Banned
...Huh. This isn't great news for sites like ours. (PSNStores). We use gamesharing so that we can play multiplayer games for review, and this is going to make things tricky... We effectively have a master account, and then we redeem all our codes on there. Now we can't really do that.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
You know I was overcome by sudden rage when I read the title, but it quickly subsided when I heard about an account management website, and a chance of remote deactivations.

I need to deactivate two broken PS3 and my family's too, otherwise RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE.

BocoDragon

Hazaro said:
But this is PSN and soon if you lend someone a disc they won't have MP because you used the code :/
Cute. But if you lend someone the disc you can't play with them anyway :p

I guess for PSN games the lending argument is moot anyway. While being able to lend/sell a digital game may be impossible, it's not something I really expected to be compensated with via something like gamesharing. I'd rather have Capcom PSN games that you can play without an internet connection. :p If it's something that developers feels cuts into sales... by all means cut it. It's not something that's important to me as a gamer.

Audioboxer

People will be annoyed because it's what they've got use to, but in the reality of things, this is a good move. Online activation management has been needed since day 1. With previous content remaining at 5 activations as well entitled game sharers have less to complain about.

ChryZ

I'd guess game sharing and its abuse reached critical mass. Kinda sucks, but that de-/activation management webinterface is most welcome though.

Goldrusher

jetsetfluken said:
This could backfire though.

I predict a lot more people will now be selling their account or share once they've completed the game.
So in theory, you could end up with a lot less revenue...

$10 game played by 100 through the old system = $200 revenue
$10 game played by 100 passing on the account = $10 revenue

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Goldrusher said:

Lots of people will now sell the account or their share once they've completed the game.

If that works out well enough then I could see it being worse for the CAG scenario. I think people owning games is an important aspect though.
I would think Sony would look for this and say "Hey, we're watching quickly deactivated accounts", bans the first few people that try, word gets out, all is back to normal.

Actually does PSN ever ban anymore?

Audioboxer

Goldrusher said:

Lots of people will now sell the account or their share once they've completed the game.

Do you really think masses of people will want to do that? Even if you completed the game, I'm pretty sure the addiction for most game sharers is having a fuck ton of games sitting on their hard drive for "free", or if they contributed money, a reduced price. Giving up the ability to play the game by passing on the account is pretty much the same as losing some activations? No? :p

DatBreh

Banned
Hazaro said:
I've never heard of this sort of thing. I can't imagine it makes a big impact, how many people participate in those?

*Unless there's some other thread on CAG it doesn't seem like too many are doing it, maybe a few hundred at most?

I participate in a number of lesser known gaming forums and on all of them there is a network of gamesharing taking place. Big forums like neogaf, ign, and gamefaqs wont allow that sort of organization but its def. considered a major benefit when participating in other forums.

Top Bottom