• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSN-US Vanguard Bandits 11/15 $9.99 EU early 2012

CO_Andy

vireland said:
It's all doable with enough will and enough money.
Are you aware of the upcoming fan remake of Clock Tower 1?

The Clock Tower fan base is a fairly passionate community.

vireland

CO_Andy said:
Are you aware of the upcoming fan remake of Clock Tower 1?

The Clock Tower fan base is a fairly passionate community.

Not enough will for me to do it. I'm not into horror. When you spend as much time as it takes to get these done, you need to love the game at the start.

Seik

Banned
I'd just like to say thanks to Vireland!

I have the same copy since it came out and I bought the strategy guide 2 months ago, which is one of the best and most epic strategy guide I've ever seen. This is the only 'tactical' RPG I played and loved from the beginning to the end. Let's say it's one of those game I try to clear at least one time per year, when I say clear its meaning having all three files with Kingdom, Empire and Ruin branches all done. :D

I'll buy it, just to encourage the work done on this game and the work you made for it to be out on PSN. More people need to know this game exists, I'm mindblown at how nobody knows about it, its cool in a way it makes it sort of a 'hidden/underground gem'. But its bad for WD financially-wise because it had little success (I think, because copies are quite hard to find nowadays.)

If any of you people are loving tactical RPGs, Fire Emblem's battle style and giant mechs, buy this game day 1 and you won't regret that.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Awesome to see this coming out on PSN! I've never played the original and just looking at those screenies (and font) is tickling my nostalgia. Can't wait to see what "new" stuff Gaijinworks will be working on, too. As well as your son's Indie game (is it RPG?).

vireland said:
Well, the leading answer is yes, but that kind of falls apart when you get deep into the Ruin branch and the whole ATAC 69 thing, which was strictly us having fun with a ridiculous storyline branch. We could have translated that straight, but it would not have been interesting, and definitely would have been less memorable than the ATAC 69 thing. There's some really funny quotes in that area. They still make me chuckle.

I'm quite glad you took liberty with that and added some levity to the game. Stuff like that sells games IMO and should be practiced more often.

cj_iwakura

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
I'm quite glad you took liberty with that and added some levity to the game. Stuff like that sells games IMO and should be practiced more often.

Sadly, that practice pretty much died with WD. Now it's all 'true to the source or nothing'.

I like being true to the material for the most part, but sometimes, it helps to mix things up a bit. (I don't mean Lunarvale in Persona 1 here, I mean more like the random silliness in Lunar's localization.)

vireland

Seik said:
I'd just like to say thanks to Vireland!

And thank you back for your support.

Seik said:
I'll buy it, just to encourage the work done on this game and the work you made for it to be out on PSN. More people need to know this game exists, I'm mindblown at how nobody knows about it, its cool in a way it makes it sort of a 'hidden/underground gem'. But its bad for WD financially-wise because it had little success (I think, because copies are quite hard to find nowadays.)

It was actually pretty okay, sales-wise (due to the pack-in LUNAR2 demo also). 50-60k units at full price, which was way more than enough to be profitable. The urban legend that will not die is that our lavish attention to RPGs and deluxe packs killed WD, and it's just not true. Every RPG we did was profitable (even Cosmic Fantasy 2), including the craziest Deluxe pack. We were done in when our outlet for the games was cut off unexpectedly, and I didn't see the situation as insurmountable, but wasted 2 years trying to "fix" what wasn't broken on our end.

vireland

cj_iwakura said:
Sadly, that practice pretty much died with WD. Now it's all 'true to the source or nothing'.

I like being true to the material for the most part, but sometimes, it helps to mix things up a bit. (I don't mean Lunarvale in Persona 1 here, I mean more like the random silliness in Lunar's localization.)

My go-to example for this is Meryod Village in LUNAR. When people here finally got to play a "straight" LUNAR with Ubi's DS version, they were shocked to find out that the town was just a random, boring waypoint in the original game. We made it LUNAR's ode to Deliverance/Beverly Hillbillies by populating it with hicks. It gave it WAY more charm and memorability, and destroyed exactly 0% of the original's "integrity", unless boredom was integral to the original Japanese experience.

B.K.

Look what came in the mail today. :D

S5rel.jpg

Well played Mr. Ireland. I had a copy of this from its initial release, but after letting a friend borrow it, it got passed down the line from there and that was the last I saw of it. I'll definitely replay this one as I only played through it once.

I'm glad there's an option to skip the battle scenes as much like Brigadine, I do not like the 3d models.

So many great RPGs that didn't make it over the pond, I hope this is the beginning of many great things!

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
I used to have a disc copy but I noticed a month or two ago that I no longer have it. :(

Not sure what happened to it.

Gaylord Sweetwood said:
So many great RPGs that didn't make it over the pond, I hope this is the beginning of many great things!
If you're not importing from Japan, you've already missed most of the great tactics games of the last decade.

vireland

Just a little advance tip for the NeoGaffers. The "fan centric" thing I spoke of for the Vanguard Bandits launch day tomorrow is a companion piece for the game - a digital copy of the 200+ page Vanguard Bandits strategy guide. We'll be supplying a download link for it on the monkeypaw site tomorrow afternoon. Some great strategies in it and lots of random humor throughout the guide to enjoy.

vireland said:
Just a little advance tip for the NeoGaffers. The "fan centric" thing I spoke of for the Vanguard Bandits launch day tomorrow is a companion piece for the game - a digital copy of the 200+ page Vanguard Bandits strategy guide. We'll be supplying a download link for it on the monkeypaw site tomorrow afternoon. Some great strategies in it and lots of random humor throughout the guide to enjoy.

Sweet!

And yay, it's out today!

vireland

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Sweet!

And yay, it's out today!

Yes, at long last!

Also, the guide's up now. Here's the link to the PSN companion version of the Vanguard Bandits strategy guide for GAFers that want to beat the rush when this is posted on PSN/Monkeypaw blog and the game download is live on PSN:

http://www.gaijinworks.com/vanguardpremium/PSN_VanguardBandits_Strategy_Guide.zip

Really makes the game a joy to play along with the guide, and printed pages from the PDF don't look too shabby despite the relatively low res.

Enjoy, and thanks to all for their support on our PSN titles !

cj_iwakura

Really great of you. I always loved WD guides.

Would you believe I have the Lunar: The Silver Star(not SSSC) one?

Very great guide. ESSENTIAL for a game where the spells and items have no descriptions.

Coxswain

Holy shit! Awesome! I'd missed this thread and all news about it until now. For my money, this is still the best SRPG I've ever played, and almost every attempt I make to play one since then has ended up with me going "This is way more irritating than Vanguard Bandits" and then quitting.

Still got my original copy, but going to go buy the //shit// outta this as soon as I hit Submit Reply.

Edit: Also, I've beaten this game at least seven or eight times, and never managed to figure out what BAS is supposed to stand for.

Coxy

so happy I finally get to play this. I missed out when it came out first because I was still a saturn fan and didnt know sega was after screwing us, didnt move on to ps1 until Grandia and Lunar came out (I'd been waiting for and expecting them on saturn)

vireland

Coxswain said:
Holy shit! Awesome! I'd missed this thread and all news about it until now. For my money, this is still the best SRPG I've ever played, and almost every attempt I make to play one since then has ended up with me going "This is way more irritating than Vanguard Bandits" and then quitting.

Still got my original copy, but going to go buy the //shit// outta this as soon as I hit Submit Reply.

Edit: Also, I've beaten this game at least seven or eight times, and never managed to figure out what BAS is supposed to stand for.

I'm pretty sure it was something like BASE (ie, your foundation for stats), it changed HP, I believe.

And thanks for your, er, *enthusiasic*, support. :)

vireland

cj_iwakura said:
Really great of you. I always loved WD guides.

Would you believe I have the Lunar: The Silver Star(not SSSC) one?

Very great guide. ESSENTIAL for a game where the spells and items have no descriptions.

Wow, the LUNAR SEGA CD one? That's going WAY back.

The Vanguard guide, while useful for squeezing everything out of the game, is a pretty breezy read, still. There's a liberal amount of random humor that really moves the guide along.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
vireland said:
Wow, the LUNAR SEGA CD one? That's going WAY back.

The Vanguard guide, while useful for squeezing everything out of the game, is a pretty breezy read, still. There's a liberal amount of random humor that really moves the guide along.

Yeah, I got the Sega CD guides too. Those were keepers! ^_^ L:EB Sega CD is still my favorite of all time.

Reading this thread having come from the "FFXV might be an action RPG" thread made me feel better. I was dying a bit inside. :/

Working Design guides were always awesome. I remember one boss fight strategy (I think it was in the Lunar 2 Complete guide) that said "instead of actually attempting the fight, it is probably best to just set the AI to autopilot --- this seems to produce a good win percentage vs. trying the fight yourself!"

vireland

twentytwo22 said:
Working Design guides were always awesome. I remember one boss fight strategy (I think it was in the Lunar 2 Complete guide) that said "instead of actually attempting the fight, it is probably best to just set the AI to autopilot --- this seems to produce a good win percentage vs. trying the fight yourself!"

Ken worked really hard making the AI in the US release of our games better and more useful than the Japanese releases, and it really paid off - this was one of those cases. :)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
vireland said:
Yes, at long last!

Also, the guide's up now. Here's the link to the PSN companion version of the Vanguard Bandits strategy guide for GAFers that want to beat the rush when this is posted on PSN/Monkeypaw blog and the game download is live on PSN:

http://www.gaijinworks.com/vanguardpremium/PSN_VanguardBandits_Strategy_Guide.zip

Really makes the game a joy to play along with the guide, and printed pages from the PDF don't look too shabby despite the relatively low res.

This thing is awesome, thank you!

vireland

We had the worst timing ever earlier today when our site was migrated to a new server just after the Digital Strategy Guide for Vanguard Bandits went up. We were out for a few hours, but it's all back now, so if anyone was having problems then, you're clear to get it now! Should be smooth sailing now...

0 HP

vireland said:
Yes, at long last!

thank you!

vireland

cpp_is_king said:
This is probably a stupid question, but does this game have trohy support on PSN?

Unfortunately there is no trophy support on PSOne classics. You just have to crush all paths on the game for the old-fashioned reason - your own satisfaction (and in the case of Vanguard Bandits, to see the hilarious ATAC 69 dialogue). :)

vireland

0 HP said:
thank you!

You're welcome.

Just out of curiousity, how did the digital guide open for you? It's supposed to open in 2 page spreads, at 200% zoom. Some people have mentioned that they're getting it as single page format when they open it, and I'm not sure if it's an OS or Acrobat version issue.

0 HP

You're welcome.

Just out of curiousity, how did the digital guide open for you? It's supposed to open in 2 page spreads, at 200% zoom. Some people have mentioned that they're getting it as single page format when they open it, and I'm not sure if it's an OS or Acrobat version issue.

for me, its single page spread at 200% zoom. im using document viewer on ubuntu though

Busty

Banned
Kudos, I wasn't aware of this thread but it seems a very cool project.

For those that don't know, this was originally called Epica Stella in Japan. We were going to call it Detonator Gauntlet, and even advertised it as such, but Midway was threatening lawsuits about the title containing the word "Gauntlet" so we were forced to go another way.

Sorry to go off topic but I didn't realise that Midway (and by extension, I assume, Warner Bros) owned the rights to Gauntlet.

Am I reading this wrong?

You're welcome.

Ya, when I opened it in adobe the other week it came up as 2 pages and 200% zoom.

Sorry to go off topic but I didn't realise that Midway (and by extension, I assume, Warner Bros) owned the rights to Gauntlet.

Am I reading this wrong?
Yes. Midway has the rights for things like Gauntlet, Robotron 2084, Joust, and maybe a couple others. I know they used to but I don't know if they still do, never really paid much attention.

vireland

So vireland, I figure you can't release much details but has this been a good launch for you guys?

We don't get numbers daily or weekly with PSN, so I should know early next month. The guide's been downloaded a lot, though. Hopefully that means a sale for each of those. If it hits our average for releases, it will be fine.

vireland

Am I reading this wrong?

Yeah, they have an actual registered trademark for the word "Gauntlet" as it relates to video games, so any game with the word Gauntlet as part of a larger title is possibly infringing and open to a lawsuit. Pretty crazy.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ooh, I totally missed that this was even coming out, let alone already released.

Going to have to get on grabbing this tomorrow.

Teknoman

I'm still surprised you guys managed to put that title header for the Diekbeck page in Arc the Lad Collection's manual :p First time I read it, just flew over my head...then I had to do a double take lol.

vireland

I'm still surprised you guys managed to put that title header for the Diekbeck page in Arc the Lad Collection's manual :p First time I read it, just flew over my head...then I had to do a double take lol.

My absolute 100% favorite double-entendre from the WD days. I told no one that I did it, and without exception everyone cracked up in the office as the draft manual was passed around for proofreading markup. I was surprised that we had much less trouble from Sony in approval with that than we did with the Alundra stuff we had to take out.

Glad you enjoyed it, too. :)

Top Bottom