• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSO2.. (Phantasy Star Online 2) is real!

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Looking forward to Phantasy Star Universe quality from Sega.

Zen

Banned
GamerGeorge said:
As much as I want to get excited about this, the Sega of today is far worse than the Sega of ten years ago that made the original Phantasy Star Online.

They've declined endlessly, it seems. 90's peak or bust. :lol

Finaika

GamerGeorge said:
As much as I want to get excited about this, the Sega of today is far worse than the Sega of ten years ago that made the original Phantasy Star Online.
VC says hi.

ShadiWulf

Tim-E said:
I'm going to have a heart attack.
reggietar.png

.. sorry.. i had to.. i thought it fit well =P

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thirteen-year-old I AM JOHN! said:
SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE~!!!

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHE

r89zwk.jpg

1zf5ymw.jpg

THE DOOR TO THE FUTURE.....

THE DOOR TO FREEDOM....

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Lindsay said:
Nostalgia nuts dwelling on the past forcing Segac to go back to crappier game mechanics & features instead of pushing forward with cool new stuffs = Phantasy Star Ø. I'm not getting hyped up for this until its proven they didn't nuke awesome stuff the U/P series brought.

Much of PSU was horribly broken, things they have recognised with every new release of the PSU games. I'm sure PSO2 will get the balance right.

The artstyle, music and more focussed gameplay/level design of PSO needs to return.

Blueblur1

DECK'ARD said:
Much of PSU was horribly broken, things they have recognised with every new release of the PSU games. I'm sure PSO2 will get the balance right.

The artstyle, music and more focussed gameplay/level design of PSO needs to return.
Lindsay loves PSU. There's no point in arguing with her. She be stubborn. :/

mollipen

HMMM. I wonder how old-school this is going to be, or if it's going to be like PS Portable 2, where it's more and more becoming a mix of PSO and PSU.

And is this only going to stay PC, or will it be consoles as well? Could Sega have Online be PC, and Universe be consoles, and Portable be portables, meaning three completely separate flavors of what is overall the same game all at one time? That'd be kind of crazy.

Also, unless this game is huge, is there enough of a market on the PC to care? They have ample amounts of these games, and I kind of always saw the PC side of PSO/PSU as being the secondary market.

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Lindsay said:
Nostalgia nuts dwelling on the past forcing Segac to go back to crappier game mechanics & features instead of pushing forward with cool new stuffs = Phantasy Star Ø. I'm not getting hyped up for this until its proven they didn't nuke awesome stuff the U/P series brought.

wat

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
shidoshi said:
HMMM. I wonder how old-school this is going to be, or if it's going to be like PS Portable 2, where it's more and more becoming a mix of PSO and PSU.

And is this only going to stay PC, or will it be consoles as well? Could Sega have Online be PC, and Universe be consoles, and Portable be portables, meaning three completely separate flavors of what is overall the same game all at one time? That'd be kind of crazy.

Also, unless this game is huge, is there enough of a market on the PC to care? They have ample amounts of these games, and I kind of always saw the PC side of PSO/PSU as being the secondary market.

PC only would be a typical 'eh' Sega move.

That's the only thing I want clarification of. I want it on a console, but PSO still has me by the balls after all this time so I'd go to whatever lengths to play it.

Varion

DECK'ARD said:
I want it on a console, but PSO still has me by the balls after all this time so I'd go to whatever lengths to play it.
Pretty much this. The original is still the longest I've ever invested into a game (2000+ hours), and I can still pick it up and play it now. So I'll pretty much play it on whatever, but I do have a very comfy bed to play console games on.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Please tell me this isn't bogus. I want to tell all my friends, but I must first know 100% that this is not bogus.

Please tell me this isn't bogus. Please.

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

*crosses off hundreds of future hours of my life*

Agh, this reminds me that my NeoGaf handle is named after my old main on PSO 1 for Dreamcast

Teknoman

I just got home. HOLY CRAP.

Please have PSO style catchy yet atmospheric music. Also please be really colorful and not bland.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
DECK'ARD said:
Much of PSU was horribly broken, things they have recognised with every new release of the PSU games.

Did ya forget how broken PSO was? Cheese Needle = win button. How did they fix it with each successive release? MOAR MEGID SPAM! barf. Don't get me wrong cause I loved that series for its time. But as Ø proved that style of play doesn't hold up and the more actiony style of PSU/P rocks.

I dunno about the art style. PS:p2 is a big improvement in that department and Inifinty looks ta be refining it further. The U/P series music has also gotten much better over time to. PSO's gameplay is outdated. I'll give ya level design though. Each block/sector looking exactly the same as the last is kinda crappy.

Firehead

I.. can't believe it. Oh my...
Teknoman said:
I just got home. HOLY CRAP.

Please have PSO style catchy yet atmospheric music. Also please be really colorful and not bland.
And please have mags and rag rappies!
u06CB.gif

Varion

I really hope they return to the two-switching-tracks style of music as the original which they did away with in PSU. One track for calm areas, one for battles, switching between the two dynamically all the way through. It helped that almost all the tracks were awesome too.

I hope it being called PSO2 suggests things like this will be making a return though. And lots of shiny red SPECIAL WEAPON boxes instead of screwing around with item synthesis.

Teknoman

Lindsay said:
Did ya forget how broken PSO was? Cheese Needle = win button. How did they fix it with each successive release? MOAR MEGID SPAM! barf. Don't get me wrong cause I loved that series for its time. But as Ø proved that style of play doesn't hold up and the more actiony style of PSU/P rocks.

I dunno about the art style. PS:p2 is a big improvement in that department and Inifinty looks ta be refining it further. The U/P series music has also gotten much better over time to. PSO's gameplay is outdated. I'll give ya level design though. Each block/sector looking exactly the same as the last is kinda crappy.

I dunno...the colors are really bland...at least in PSP and PSP2 (PSO was really vibrant), and the PSO series music (all versions) seemed to be alot higher quality than PSP/PSU.

I mean just listen to this stuff:

Image of a Hero

Jungle

Cry, for IDOLA the holy

IDOLA the fanatic viper

From seeing rough wave

Growl from the depths of the earth

Underworld chaos

And the most awesome track in existence:

Chaotic bar aka The shop music

PSO had some really threatening boss music, and creative looking bosses that werent just pallete swaps (even in Ver.2) so thats why it gets my vote.

Teknoman

Trevelyon said:
Just gonna go ahead and fix that for ya, yeah.

Wow...nostalgia overload. Not only from the Dreamcast PSO ver.1 days, but from the PSO PC GAF revival a few summers back. How'd I miss that?

Wallach

Ugh my brain is having a nostalgia overload from the original PSO. I only ever had one character - Dr. Prescott. I played this game with arbitrary rules - I was not allowed to kill things on my own. Somehow it was entertaining as shit.

I remember I hit level 100 on Dr. Prescott by intentionally getting super close to leveling, then slapping the forest dragon to death (literally). It was the only thing I ever killed on that character and I decided to do it with just slaps.

Shit I miss that game.

EDIT - That is a total lie; I had one other character that me and a friend named called Id of Ith. We played him like a faux religious zealot constantly trying to convert people to "Ithicus". :lol

Top Bottom