• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP a GO!?

Oh, speaking of being able to put it in your pocket, that's another thing.

This PSP does nothing to fix one of the biggest issues with the PSP, the vulnerability of the screen. You may be able to put it in your pocket, but good luck keeping it scratch-free.

A clamshell design would have been ideal.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mrbob said:
Not with 16gb memory. You need to keep your expectations fashioned to reality. :p

I agree $299.99 is too high. I'm expecting $249.99, and would be pleasantly surprised if its $199.99.

How much is the PSP-3000 currently?

I expect it'll come down a notch at E3, and this new one will be at least $50 more. Hopefully that works out at about $200, and not >$250.

Deku

Banned
somuchwater said:
To you. To the mass market, portability, DD, a good amount of storage and bluetooth makes it more appealing. The tech world has been moving this way for some time and Sony was already behind curve. At least now, they're a step ahead of Nintendo and MS (in terms of digital distribution and media integration, I mean.)

Not really sure which mass market this is.

They're very clearly trying to create a 3rd way by way of the download only approach, as Nintendo and Apple already own their respective parts of the market .

And I am skeptical it will work. I mean no touch screen would already seem like a big missing feature for the mass market iPod/DS users.

DrXym

Mrbob said:
Not with 16gb memory. You need to keep your expectations fashioned to reality. :p

I agree $299.99 is too high. I'm expecting $249.99, and would be pleasantly surprised if its $199.99.

I know Sony will try to fleece people but really I don't see any technical justification for pricing so high. 16Gb storage cards / keys can be had for $30. Sony must surely be able to manufacture them for much less than that. At the end of the day I doubt the cost of memory is significantly different than the UMD drive it replaces.

Mrbob

gofreak said:

I expect it'll come down a notch at E3, and this new one will be at least $50 more. Hopefully that works out at about $200, and not >$250.

Core is $169.99. Bundle is $199.99.

I really hope its $199.99. I'll get it day one. I appreciate the fact the PSP GO is a true portable convergence device. No extra discs to haul around, but anything over $199.99 and I might hesitate on buying one.

I'm also one of the people who do not like the current form factor of the PSP. I feel the controls are flumsy. With the slide screen I'm guessing things will handle better with the controls closer together.

Grayman

Guybrush Threepwood said:

This PSP does nothing to fix one of the biggest issues with the PSP, the vulnerability of the screen. You may be able to put it in your pocket, but good luck keeping it scratch-free.

maybe it will come with a padded pouch like the other ones did

le.phat

I have a psp 1000 and it still looks like the day i purchased it 3 years ago. Clamshell design suck ass, i'd rather have the slide option and just take good care of it.

this device has failed before it even launched.

unless all the old PSP games are available on the PS Store on day 1, it's severely handicapped.

and obviously, it provides no value-add for current PSP owners who were thinking about "upgrading". all their UMD games are incompatible.

don't see the place in the market for it unless it's significantly cheaper than the current PSP. even then...I don't like this decision.

ZeoVGM

Banned
le.phat said:
I have a psp 1000 and it still looks like the day i purchased it 3 years ago. Clamshell design suck ass, i'd rather have the slide option and just take good care of it.

The DS Lite proves that statement factually incorrect.

DMeisterJ

Banned
gofreak said:

Current PSP is $170.

I think they'll do 150-200 or 130-180

Or 250 with a 50 buck PSN card.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Mrbob said:
Core is $169.99. Bundle is $199.99.

I really hope its $199.99. I'll get it day one. I appreciate the fact the PSP GO is a true portable convergence device. No extra discs to haul around, but anything over $199.99 and I might hesitate on buying one.

I'm also one of the people who do not like the current form factor of the PSP. I feel the controls are flumsy. With the slide screen I'm guessing things will handle better with the controls closer together.

OK, well I'd be guessing/hoping PSP-3000 will come down to $129 -$149 and the Go will be $199.

But we'll see I guess.

le.phat

Dreams-Visions said:
this device has failed before it even launched.

unless all the old PSP games are available on the PS Store on day 1, it's severely handicapped.

and obviously, it provides no value-add for current PSP owners who were thinking about "upgrading". all their UMD games are incompatible.

don't see the place in the market for it unless it's significantly cheaper than the current PSP. even then...I don't like this decision.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but having 16 gigs of games/movies/music/brew(?) on the go ? this current psp owner can't wait to pick one up. Its lighter, it has a better screen, more memory; There's plenty of reason's for me to jump in.

SonOfABeep said:
This thing just sucks. Make excuses all you want, but this makes about as much sense as the Game Boy Micro before the DS did, and as the 32X did before the Saturn. It really feels like a half step of what Sony needed to do to resurrect this nearly-dead brand.

If this launches at $299, it's going to be a completely bad idea. If it's $150 or less I could see it working.
agreed.

but I still think this is a clusterf*ck. few pro's, many con's.

iammeiam

The more I think about it, the more convinced I am that the Go is going to come in at $250 as a base price (and if the rumors of 8GB and 16GB models are true, I could see $249/$299 price points--or $249 for the 'core' pack, then $299 for the various bundles.)

This is largely because I don't think the PSP-3000's price is likely to go anywhere any time soon. There are currently at least three bundles for preorder at $199--Rock Band, Dissidia, and the lilac Hannah Montana bundle. While a pre-release price-drop is certainly possible, I'd have expected them to hold off on announcing the bundles that are still months off until after the price drop. And if the Go is supposed to exude premiumness on the shelf, it's not going to want any pricing overlap with its gamer-oriented sibling.

I'm also pretty convinced that if there is any sort of upgrade path available for current owners, it's going to be a pain in the ass and not free. Any do-it-at-home method would enable people to rent (or buy and return) UMDs and stick them on the shiny, unhacked PSP Go. Any mail-in method will wind up costing shipping & handling so probably $5 a game or so.

There are still a ton of questions here--exact pricing, the terms of the battery life (which one would initially assume would benefit hugely from lack of UMD, but looking at how thin the PSP Go is, there's not exactly a ton of space for a battery in there), any improvements they may make in the Sony Store to make purchasing DD games more friendly (touchscreen would have been nice for typing voucher codes, if nothing else.), and how many publishers Sony's actually got completely on-board with their plans. Anyone releasing a major UMD game in the next couple months would do well to also offer a DD option, too, so I hope their E3 announcement includes the immediate availability of a ton of new-to-DD games.

Mrbob

Well the current PSP is probably going to get a pricedrop on Tuesday so...

What prices should we speculate?

I would love to see the current psp model go to $99, but this won't happen. Too big of a drop. At the same time, I don't think a 20 dollar drop on the system is enough. I'll split the difference and say the current PSP will drop to $129.99 at E3. Current bundle units get phased out at $149.99, and will get replaced by the GO in the fall. Which I say will go for $199.99.

fully ready and expecting $249.99

or you know what.....$229.99 plus a $20 PSN card. That smells more like Sony's style. Or even better. $229.99 plus a Patapon 2 voucher (they don't like to give you choices in these things).

le.phat said:
Sorry to burst your bubble, but having 16 gigs of games/movies/music/brew(?) on the go ? this current psp owner can't wait to pick one up. Its lighter, it has a better screen, more memory; There's plenty of reason's for me to jump in.
then enjoy, good sir.

I'll not be joining you. It's not an "upgrade" if I can't play the 30 UMD-based games I already own.

Now...if Sony want's to give me some kind of free download to all the UMD games I already own, then that's fine. I can dig that. If not, FAIL.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
Your making Sony too Generous, they would be better off going with a $250 price tag with a $25 PSN card thrown in there

25 dollar PSN card doesn't exist :) It's either 20 or 50. I was hoping 50, but even twenty would let someone get a smaller game, a PS1 game, and a TV show or Movie, to show everything. Or, like the DSi, they could just make every new PSP go automatically credit your account 'x' dollars when first activated with your PSN ID.

Polk

Dedication Through Light said:
Your making Sony too Generous, they would be better off going with a $250 price tag with a $25 PSN card thrown in there
229 base pack, 249 entertainment pack with game or psn card.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
While I hope for $199 a part of me wonders if Sony will gamble on this thing being popular even at a somewhat higher price..if they feel lucky, they may well do that with an eye on their financials, and the burden that will be bearing elsewhere over the last 6 months of the year (read: ps3 cut).

I don't think they'll go to $250..but $229 or something mightn't be out of the question.

DMeisterJ said:
25 dollar PSN card doesn't exist :) It's either 20 or 50. I was hoping 50, but even twenty would let someone get a smaller game, a PS1 game, and a TV show or Movie, to show everything. Or, like the DSi, they could just make every new PSP go automatically credit your account 'x' dollars when first activated with your PSN ID.

OH, my gamestop is stupid and never has a PSN card in stock so Ive never actually seen any of these cards, lol. But I think 20 is worth it. Or maybe theyll just give Patapon 2 for free with the PSP Go!?

Anything over $200 would set its fate in stone right then and there.
you just KNOW it's going to happy. Sony can't control themselves.

$150-$175 would have been right. $200+ isn't going to get the job done for them.

nubbe

It is insane if it cost more than the current PSP.
It ditches the optical media mechanics and 16GB flash don't cost anything to make.
and it doesn't add anything off value... like 3G.

Tellaerin

I can't imagine the PSP Go! clocking in for over $200. It really isn't bringing anything to the table to justify a higher price tag than the 3000. If anything, it ought to be cheaper.

Axl

The design doesn't impress me as much as I expected, but I find my current (fat) PSP to be very uncomfortable, so I'll give this a shot.

I was intending to buy Monster Hunter Freedom Unite when it releases in June, but now with the GO in the mix I don't want to be stuck with a UMD. Interested to see how/if this gets addressed.

le.phat

Dreams-Visions said:
then enjoy, good sir.

I'll not be joining you. It's not an "upgrade" if I can't play the 30 UMD-based games I already own.

Now...if Sony want's to give me some kind of free download to all the UMD games I already own, then that's fine. I can dig that. If not, FAIL.

I can agree on your sentiment to a certain extent; I own around 10 psp games myself and i'm not planning on picking them up again no matter the price. That said, i don't mind building the rest of my collection directly onto the psp. Right now i have over 8 psx games all ready to be fired up from the xmb. i just love being able to bring along my entire log on my machine.

Its understandable that this iteration of PSP is not everyone's cup. Better luck with PSP2 i guess. I for one can't wait.

marwan

Banned
i say $179

theoretically it shouldn't cost more than a PSP 3000 and 16GB ram is dirt cheap nowadays! bit it's sony, so who knows, since it's smaller, it mean they used smaller part which might actually be slightly more expensive.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Tellaerin said:
I can't imagine the PSP Go! clocking in for over $200. It really isn't bringing anything to the table to justifies a higher price tag than the 3000. If anything, it ought to be cheaper.
How much was the UMD drive? That right there is saving a lot of money I bet.

marwan said:
i say $179

theoretically it shouldn't cost more than a PSP 3000 and 16GB ram is dirt cheap nowadays! bit it's sony, so who knows, since it's smaller, it mean they used smaller part which might actually be slightly more expensive.

At 200 dollars, and since they save money using a smaller screen, probably a cheap feeling chassis again, and no UMD drive, they will undoubtably make profit for each unit sold. So, I mean, it would make sense to be sold at anything more than $200.

Tellaerin said:
I can't imagine the PSP Go! clocking in for over $200. It really isn't bringing anything to the table to justifies a higher price tag than the 3000. If anything, it ought to be cheaper.
I'm glad some of aren't drinking the "$200+ is acceptable" kool-aid.

It needs to be cheaper...but it's Sony. They probably think they can create a market that will hold both the Go! and the 3000 simultaneously.

Random thought: won't Gamestop and other similar companies be furious about this product? They make next to nothing off hardware sales as it is. And now, they can't make money off of software sales either! I wouldn't even carry it if I were a video game reseller. It's designed to sap life away from brick & mortars.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Dreams-Visions said:
you just KNOW it's going to happy. Sony can't control themselves.

$150-$175 would have been right. $200+ isn't going to get the job done for them.

It would depend what the job is.

PSP is SCE's highest volume product, right?

What if the goals for Go is about converting some portion of those sales into a higher premium sale to simply help improve the financials?

If Sony could push maybe even 30% of their PSP volume - a proportion I'm guessing some of you figure would be a failure - to a unit that earns them $50-$80 more profit, would that not be worth their while?

Don't get me wrong though..I hope for $199, but I'm just running over what Sony's perspective on this might be. Reaping a higher premium on (some) sales of your highest volume product could be an appealing thought for them. They undoubtedly will take more profit on Go, question is how far they'll push that..$50 more seems certain, but like I say, up to $80 I could see happening too (over a $149 PSP-3000).

DMeisterJ

Banned
Now we need to speculate on what's in the box. Obviously, there is a lack of USB ports (read: none) on there, so there is definitely going to have to be a proprietary input -> USB so people can hook the thing up to a comp and DL stuff. Makes no sense to not have that bundled if they are going to have a DD only console, even if you can reach the PS Store on the Go, people don't want to have to buy more ish when they want to use their comp.

Also, Sony can go the iPhone 3G route, and have a power adapter that has a USB slot on one side, so the cable can masquerade as a charging cable too. And expecting people to DL Media Manager is wrong, so include the disc with the retail package too. You give it away as a free download, so it can't be that bad in terms of cost.

So in the box (Value Pack)

PSP Go
Charging/usb cable
power adapter
Game and/or PSN card
Media Manager
Headphones

Seems like a nice package for $249, but better at $229 or $200.

Dreams-Visions said:
Random thought: won't Gamestop and other similar companies be furious about this product? They make next to nothing off hardware sales as it is. And now, they can't make money off of software sales either! I wouldn't even carry it if I were a video game reseller. It's designed to sap life away from brick & mortars.

The thing is, I can't imagine anyone who likes to buy and sell second hand software wanting one of these things anyway.

le.phat said:
I can agree on your sentiment to a certain extent; I own around 10 psp games myself and i'm not planning on picking them up again no matter the price. That said, i don't mind building the rest of my collection directly onto the psp. Right now i have over 8 psx games all ready to be fired up from the xmb. i just love being able to bring along my entire log on my machine.

Its understandable that this iteration of PSP is not everyone's cup. Better luck with PSP2 i guess. I for one can't wait.
Oh yea, for you it's perfect. Your library was sizable (10 UMDs), but not "big" if you will. the people that bought heavily into PSP gaming via UMD will have to either hope Sony offers some kind of exchange program or bite a really big bullet in order to get one of these.

My issue isn't with the design. I could care less as long as the screen looks good. My issue is that people with big UMD libraries might be left out in the cold. And really...for people who've NEVER owned a PSP, where's the value for them over a 2000 or 3000? either of those means access to inexpensive, used PSP games (which will probably be less than they're going to be sold for on the PS Store).

Idunno man. I just see a lot of con's on the surface. But I'll reserve final judgment until I see a price and hear their gameplan.

Polk

DMeisterJ said:
Now we need to speculate on what's in the box. Obviously, there is a lack of USB ports (read: none) on there, so there is definitely going to have to be a proprietary input -> USB so people can hook the thing up to a comp and DL stuff.
Well Go has BT, so there's no need for usb cable.

NomarTyme

DMeisterJ said:
Now we need to speculate on what's in the box. Obviously, there is a lack of USB ports (read: none) on there, so there is definitely going to have to be a proprietary input -> USB so people can hook the thing up to a comp and DL stuff. Makes no sense to not have that bundled if they are going to have a DD only console, even if you can reach the PS Store on the Go, people don't want to have to buy more ish when they want to use their comp.

Also, Sony can go the iPhone 3G route, and have a power adapter that has a USB slot on one side, so the cable can masquerade as a charging cable too. And expecting people to DL Media Manager is wrong, so include the disc with the retail package too. You give it away as a free download, so it can't be that bad in terms of cost.

So in the box (Value Pack)

PSP Go
Charging/usb cable
power adapter
Game and/or PSN card
Media Manager
Headphones

Seems like a nice package for $249, but better at $229 or $200.

Voucher for one Greatest hit game.

JoJo13

Banned
Yes Boss! said:
I'm getting the feeling this one will be $249. It would nice at $199, but this is Sony.

I seriously dont think so.

A core is 169.

The PSP Go adds 16 GB of memory and takes away the UMD drive. That net cost differential does not equate to an $80 upgrade in price.

This device will be sub-$200 for sure. If not, I don't know what Sony is thinking.

I'm with Mrbob. $199 = day one. Any more and I will wait.

Tobor

Tellaerin said:

Have the last 3 years taught you guys nothing?

To the average consumer, 16GB of internal memory is going to be seen as a huge upgrade. Consumers are trained at this point to look at the GB's on every consumer electronics product. Why do you think the GB is so predominantly displayed on the new boxes.

"This one has 16GB, how much does that one have?"

"The 3000 has none, but with a bundle you can get a 4GB card! And this one plays UMD's!"

"What's a UMD? I'll take the one with 16GB."

It's a no brainer, especially if the price difference is $50.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Polk said:
Well Go has BT, so there's no need for usb cable.

What does that have to do with hooking a PSP up to a computer? You can do that Via USB? Why don't more phones take advantage of that?

NomarTyme said:
Voucher for one Greatest hit game.

That's why I said PSN Card (or account credit) and/or Game. PSN card would be smarter since you can pick one of the games, instead of a pre-determined one.

NomarTyme

DMeisterJ said:
What does that have to do with hooking a PSP up to a computer? You can do that Via USB? Why don't more phones take advantage of that?

That's why I said PSN Card (or account credit) and/or Game. PSN card would be smarter since you can pick one of the games, instead of a pre-determined one.
That truth.

Top Bottom