• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP a GO!?

Ninja Scooter said:
Flash drive over UMD is superior, IMO, unless you have a huge UMD game collection. But if you were a new PSP owner, i'd rather just have the storage and ability to D/L games.

I think people are forgetting one of the best parts of physical media: multiple locations to be able to purchase the game

If all of the games are on PSN, there won't be as many discounts, promotions etc. PSP games can be found cheaply from a variety of stores and websites. Just browsing Newegg for example, there are almost 20 games right now at $9.99 with free shipping.

Once someone buys a PSP go they are now locked in to buying games from one vendor, and lose the ability to price shop for a better deal. A psp-3000/2000/1000 owner has the ability to download the games, as well as finding it at a cheaper price elsewhere.

-x.Red.x-

chubigans said:
Major question time: Was the PSP GO leak intentional?

-On Saturday morning, a few users found that the Qore episode in their download lists had a "download" button, despite being grayed out and saying COMING SOON.
-A few hours later, the episode link was taken down.
-The PSP GO was unveiled and some details were finally known.

Interesting facts:

-Websites that were expected to go "dark" the weekend before E3 have now posted details on PSP GO on the front of their sites. No new news ever really goes live the weekend before E3, so this leak got massive attention the last two days.
-Many sites knew about the PSP GO! and are under embargo, so if some pictures were to surface by an anonymous user, for example, it wouldn't be likely that the major websites would report on it. Blog sites would still go crazy.
-By Qore leaking, it was essentially an "official" source and they simply reported on the facts: Qore leaks, new PSP GO info known.
-Nothing else on the Qore episode was time sensitive to E3.
-Generic mentions of "Gran Turismo" and Metal Gear was made, but no media or details provided.
-No price, launch date or any concrete details were given, which are major announcements at something like E3.
-No Qore YouTube vids have been taken down at the request of Sony, despite Sony & YouTube's partnership with the PS3.

What do you guys think?

i agree with you but sony wasn't expecting Sev from PSLS to post the psp go box and
"confirming" the ps3 slim

hmm

can't wait for the 2th!!!

I'm glad PSN Store will be put to good use via PSP. It'll be awesome buying $5 or $10 games made specifically for PSP! :D Just watched the Qore episode and from the looks of it, smaller games will indeed be made for PSP.

Imagine, buying games like Pixel Junk Shooter on PS3 and then uploading it on PSP, unlock your trophies, come home and continue unlocking trophies on PS3 (without Remote play, ofcourse).

If I make two requests for PSP GO, it's:

1. GPS
2. PSP App Store with devs or other companies making smaller softwares/games similar to Apple's App Store.

Fusebox

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
Flash drive over UMD is superior, IMO, unless you have a huge UMD game collection. But if you were a new PSP owner, i'd rather just have the storage and ability to D/L games.

Fair enough, but imo though the PSP already has removal flash memory so taking the UMD away isn't 'adding' anything.

Tobor

outunderthestars said:
I think people are forgetting one of the best parts of physical media: multiple locations to be able to purchase the game

If all of the games are on PSN, there won't be as many discounts, promotions etc. PSP games can be found cheaply from a variety of stores and websites. Just browsing Newegg for example, there are almost 20 games right now at $9.99 with free shipping.

Once someone buys a PSP go they are now locked in to buying games from one vendor, and lose the ability to price shop for a better deal. A psp-3000/2000/1000 owner has the ability to download the games, as well as finding it at a cheaper price elsewhere.

I HATE driving around shopping for games. Or waiting for the UPS guy. I don't care if I have to pay a little more, I want to download the game and go about my day.

I can't wait until all consoles make this step.

aoi tsuki

Fusebox said:
Fair enough, but imo though the PSP already has removal flash memory so taking the UMD away isn't 'adding' anything.
It's improving the battery life and durability while decreasing the size and weight. i'd just as soon take the option for UMD, but those are the pros of the Go's lack of one.

As long as i can get my Wipeout fix around launch while still being able to sit down the next day, i won't complain... much.

Tobor said:
I HATE driving around shopping for games. Or waiting for the UPS guy. I don't care if I have to pay a little more, I want to download the game and go about my day.

I have no problem with them offering digital downloads, but I'd like to see them allow more than one vendor to sell the downloads. XBLA is going well with this in letting Amazon sell codes for the store. :)

chubigans said:
-No price, launch date or any concrete details were given, which are major announcements at something like E3.

What do you guys think?

When the PSP was first shown at E3 a few years go a price and release date was not announced at the time.

Tobor

outunderthestars said:
I have no problem with them offering digital downloads, but I'd like to see them allow more than one vendor to sell the downloads. XBLA is going well with this in letting Amazon sell codes for the store. :)

Sure, let anybody who wants to sell codes, I don't have a problem with that. As long as the discs become optional or disappear, I'm happy.

ibu

JoJo13 said:
It was 100% intentional.

Stuff like that doesn't get leaked on the weekend before a major event by accident.

And like you said, the video sets up an E3 reveal and doesn't really make sense in the context AFTER an E3 reveal.

b6blv5.gif

hmmm you indeed do speculate.

I am with you on this one.

Sony Viral marketing is not even subtle, forget stealth.. BAM straight for the jugular.

Your move M$

Cynar

outunderthestars said:

Yup. This is why I'll always be a fan of retail copies rather than download only.

Raistlin

AranhaHunter said:
So why are you surprised that it doesn't appear to tilt? It would be surprising if it indeed appear to tilt.

Because its a very useful thing to have due to LCD's viewing angle issues?

If they can put it in phones, there's no reason they can't here.

Raistlin

Jax said:
well, when its on UMD in the old PSPs - you didn't get one. How long has PSP been out? 4/5 years?

now its not on UMD, you're moaning about SONYs strategies on BC and entire PSP library?

if you wanted one, you would have bought one already. ... "those awesome PSP games"... :lol :lol :lol

people like you need to STFU and get out of this thread.

smh

Tellaerin

P90 said:
I have a PSP fattie and a late model 2000 series. I see no reason to change/trade in anything for this iteration. In fact, I think this model is a dumb move. And yes, I took the honest route and bought UMD games.

Nobody at Sony really cares whether you buy a Go! or stick with your current PSP. As long as you keep buying games (preferably downloaded from the PS Store, as I suspect UMD's will gradually be phased out moving forward), they'll be happy. I don't understand why so many people are having a hard time grasping this.

jax (old)

Banned
Tobor said:

and one of the best things about PSN/XBL DLC games is that all the games are there ready to be played. No UMD/disc switching ... right at your finger tips. I love having PJE/PJM/LAsTMAN/QFB/REZ/GEOMETRYWARS..etc all there on the console for when I want it. Its the best thing. Having that on the go? Even better.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
this sony reveal is to throw people off guard when they announce their other big announcements.

if the sony go! isn't for us sony early adopters like claimed then it would be a damp squibb at E3 surely ? ;)

(but yeah, this is so the "other" stuff is more shocking)

Tellaerin

outunderthestars said:
Did Sony ever fix the screen issues on the psp-3000? Should I avoid it and buy a psp-2000 instead?

The 'screen issues' are way overblown. I've never seen anything like the interlacing problems people were making such a fuss about while playing games on my 3000.

Raistlin

B!TCH said:
Not really sure what you are so upset about. There is nothing inconsistent about what I am saying. Sony needs to commit to either a Digital Distribution model or one based on physical media (UMD), but not both.

Why?

Has Nintendo done that? Has MS? How about the the movie industry? Music industry?

Tellaerin said:
The 'screen issues' are way overblown. I've never seen anything like the interlacing problems people were making such a fuss about while playing games on my 3000.

That is good news, I was going t buy a psp-3000 when it launched, but all the negative buzz about it scared me away. Now that I see that the PSP go is not for me, I want to jump back in and get one. :)

yankee666 said:
I really need to see this PSP Go! in white, maybe someone with photoshop skillz could do that :D

What does it matter, Sony won't release it here in white anyhow. They only released the Stars Wars bundle in white for an absurdly short amount of time, then never released the color again. :(

Raistlin

Tobor said:
Sure there was. They could have gone with a flash cart or memory stick option, and lobbied developers to make the kind of games they are ironically lobbying for now, smaller more portable games. That would have reduced the size of the handheld, removed the load times and battery issues and solved the console port-itis in one move.

But we all know the reason UMD came about, it was one more in a series of failed attempts to create a portable media that Sony could force on the market.

At the time of creation, they made the decision to go with large-scale games. With that in mind, no ... there wasn't a viable alternative.

LCfiner

BlazingDarkness said:
possibly
but they wouldn't do anything but deny it two days before the event would they?

they could just say "no comment". stating a rumor is totally false is not the same as saying "epic does not comment on rumors and speculation"

companies know the difference

outunderthestars said:
Did Sony ever fix the screen issues on the psp-3000? Should I avoid it and buy a psp-2000 instead?

this. as far as i know they kept denying it as being a problem AT ALL. so it's likely that the GO will use the same screen manufacturing, just in a smaller size.

also, this thing is looking really "starter" or "arcadey" or "lite" to me. so i expect:
*the screen resolution to be no better than the current 480x272
*no additional ram etc. to speed things up
*will incorporate whatever cost-cutting manufacturing tricks they've learned thus far
*won't have a higher capacity battery out of the gate (BT means that you'll NEED one though)

it's looking to basically be the PSP's "arcade" unit like the 360. im worried they won't be able to release it for cheaper than the 3000 though because of BT and the 16gb flash.

Crazyorloco

If this offers something new game-wise (other than the system style/battery life) then i'll jump in. I feel like the old PSP's offer everything plus tons of UMD games. The Go needs more of an incentive for me to purchase. This does seem more like a ipod/zune competitor.

I think it does look really nice though when closed.

Tobor

Onix said:
At the time of creation, they made the decision to go with large-scale games. With that in mind, no ... there wasn't a viable alternative.

It's sort of a chicken and egg scenario. Which came first, the desire to create a new portable media format, or the desire to make large scale portable games?

Regardless, what's done is done. Thankfully they are turning the ship around.

spwolf

Commanche Raisin Toast said:
this. as far as i know they kept denying it as being a problem AT ALL. so it's likely that the GO will use the same screen manufacturing, just in a smaller size.

also, this thing is looking really "starter" or "arcadey" or "lite" to me. so i expect:
*the screen resolution to be no better than the current 480x272
*no additional ram etc. to speed things up
*will incorporate whatever cost-cutting manufacturing tricks they've learned thus far
*won't have a higher capacity battery out of the gate (BT means that you'll NEED one though)

it's looking to basically be the PSP's "arcade" unit like the 360. im worried they won't be able to release it for cheaper than the 3000 though because of BT and the 16gb flash.

:lol

Tobor said:
It's sort of a chicken and egg scenario. Which came first, the desire to create a new portable media format, or the desire to make large scale portable games?

I think you are forgetting how expensive flash memory was when the PSP launched. UMD, while not perfect, was really the only viable option when the system was being developed.

Raistlin

Tobor said:

I'm pretty sure it was the latter. They wanted to differentiate it from other portables by making it basically a portable console.

The great thing is that now though, they don't really have to. BB is prevalent enough that they can do both via DD. It's not like we're talking about BluRay games here - that's a bit cumbersome for DD.

J-Rzez

BlazingDarkness said:

Meh. I'll keep an eye out, but I wouldn't tag this with "megaton" status yet. Epic's quality has been all over the place this gen.

Could it be that horror game? Sure, like I said in that other thread there were rumors of that months ago. Maybe it's something totally different though, who knows.

Tobor

outunderthestars said:
I think you are forgetting how expensive flash memory was when the PSP launched. UMD, while not perfect, was really the only viable option when the system was being developed.

No, I remember what it cost, believe me, I still have some 1GB SD cards I bought in 2004 for $100 each.

My presumption is that larger console style games were a mistake from the beginning, and a change in the style of game means the flash cards of the era would have been sufficient.

Onix is probably right though, and I'm being too cynical. Either way, as long as I can download every new game on PSN, I don't care if other people are buying the games on laserdiscs, let alone UMDs.

Banned
The face of it is all janky & warped, hopefully a shit mock up.

Download only is the end of competitive purchase. You pay $x for this game until we say so with no competition on the specific console kinda sucks. And then you don't own anything. Digital delivery now being a reality is kinda worrying me more & more.

spwolf

Tobor said:
No, I remember what it cost, believe me, I still have some 1GB SD cards I bought in 2004 for $100 each.

My presumption is that larger console style games were a mistake from the beginning, and a change in the style of game means the flash cards of the era would have been sufficient.

Onix is probably right though, and I'm being too cynical. Either way, as long as I can download every new game on PSN, I don't care if other people are buying the games on laserdiscs, let alone UMDs.

best selling PSP games were "larger" console games so it is interesting situation, everyone wants smaller games, everyone buys larger games :D

Spiegel

Tobor said:

Ehm, "large console style games" is a good chunk of what psp is about.
People wants that and Koller in Qore names Gran Turismo, Jak & Daxter, Metal Gear,...

Those games are not going away. At least I hope so.

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised
what if all PSP Go! games are rental based and really low priced, but with a purchase option?

Tellaerin

Tobor said:

Larger games on a handheld are no more a mistake on the PSP than they are on, say, the DS. Which is to say, not a mistake at all. Just because people have found there's money to be made hawking shittastic cellphone-style microgames for a couple of bucks apiece, why does this suddenly have to become the dominant model for handheld gaming?

If publishers want to diversify their portfolios and increase profit margins by jumping on that bandwagon in addition to producing more full-fledged titles, that's great. But the reason I'm partial to the PSP in the first place is because it offers me something deeper than the than fifteen-minute time-wasters that are popular on smartphones. :p

Top Bottom