• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP a GO!?

-Kh-

Banned
UntoldDreams said:
Go is not a new system. Its identical minus the UMD.

If you, a developer, make a PSP game you can put it on PSN and UMD to reach the entire base.

PSP games are universal. There is no version problem between devices.

Didn't you see I had inside mullets? It certainly is a new system, I never said it was different or uncompatible with the current PSP.

The problem are the older games.

Are all the older games be put into the PSN? Maybe all the new ones will be both UMD and PSN, but even so it will make people to keep their old PSP, or buy an old one if they don't have it to keep playing both old and new games.

Actually it's true, I think I misunderstood this, nobody has to buy the new device, if nobody feel like keeping 2 identical systems even if one newer and have some neater features than the other, they won't.

Downloadable games might be the future, but it still isn't the present in the portable games department, it is only beginning. But maybe for Sony the ratio of UMDs sold at the moment at least in America might not be considerable bigger than that for PSN releases.

And in Japan the ones buying PSP games, outside MHs, are hardcore PSP players, so they will keep their old version and still get a new one.

I just found out that blocking their entire library of old games (not currently on PSN) was a little abrupt, very different than Nintendo's transition from GBA to DS to DSi.

Ettie

Welp, I bought the 3000 ratchet bundle, it had dropped to 178 at my local Walmart. I'm super happy with it. I wanted to wait until I saw pics of this one, and it's just not for me. If it's good for others, good for them. I'm digging my 3000, even if the price will drop 20 more bucks on Tuesday :)

The sticker at my walmart was not a red clearance sticker either, for any who care.

iammeiam

DMeisterJ said:
So in the box (Value Pack)

PSP Go
Charging/usb cable
power adapter
Game and/or PSN card
Media Manager
Headphones

Seems like a nice package for $249, but better at $229 or $200.

I could almost see this coming with no power adapter, no media manager, and no headphones. System, manual, USB cable, PSP Go, Voucher for a game, and voucher for a movie/tv show and that's it.

Seems dumb, but Apple's been doing the no wall-charger thing with some iPod iterations for years. The PSP Go is going to be completely useless to anyone without access to broadband, so there's no reason to include a disc with the media manager (they could maybe stick the installer in the Go's onboard memory, and have the system prompt for an install when it's hooked into a computer the first time, but no point in including a seperate disk.)

The less physical stuff Sony includes in the package, the more incentive Retailers will have to carry this thing. They can sell you a wall charger and the special headphones and a screen protector and who knows what else, even if they can't sell you any pure-profit games.

Polk

DMeisterJ said:
What does that have to do with hooking a PSP up to a computer? You can do that Via USB? Why don't more phones take advantage of that?
I'm sure you can synch all BT enabled nokia phones via BT (thru Nokia PC Suite).
Sure, every pc has at least one usb port, but not every pc has BT.
And maybe you're right. Synching by BT would make to much hassle.

Graphics Horse said:
The thing is, I can't imagine anyone who likes to buy and sell second hand software wanting one of these things anyway.
how about anyone who sells software (not second hand)?

you make almost nothing off the hardware. now they're setting you up to sell less and less software (where you actually made most of your money)?

Idunno. I just can't imagine Gamestop wanting to sell these. I know it's inevitable that such stores will die out because of DD...but I...it's difficult for me to imagine them signing themselves up for an expedited death by supporting the platform.

iammeiam said:
The less physical stuff Sony includes in the package, the more incentive Retailers will have to carry this thing. They can sell you a wall charger and the special headphones and a screen protector and who knows what else, even if they can't sell you any pure-profit games.
but the less stuff included, the less attractive it is to the consumer.

the less things you include, the more attractive the PSP 3000 looks.

kinggroin

Banned
Had to sit on this a while, but I've come to the conclusion that I like...no, love the new design. The idea of DD only is also pretty cool (why I'm interested in the new DSi too), so this'll probably be the 4th time I buy a PSP :D

Grayman

Dreams-Visions said:
I'm glad some of aren't drinking the "$200+ is acceptable" kool-aid.

It needs to be cheaper...but it's Sony. They probably think they can create a market that will hold both the Go! and the 3000 simultaneously.

Random thought: won't Gamestop and other similar companies be furious about this product? They make next to nothing off hardware sales as it is. And now, they can't make money off of software sales either! I wouldn't even carry it if I were a video game reseller. It's designed to sap life away from brick & mortars.
Retailers will either get some accessories to hock or get a larger margin on the hardware. Being fully DD Sony has near 100% margins on their first party stuff on the store so they may be confident in giving retailers 20 bucks because they can make it back off old games that have already been paid for.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I hope the GO has more power under the hood to handle background features like XMB in game support, background downloading, etc. It would be foolish not to considering the digitalness they want to convey.

Also, I'm going to agree that this was a planned leak. Leaking early Saturday basically gave Sony two whole days of coverage right before E3. That's pretty crazy.

Ettenra said:
Welp, I bought the 3000 ratchet bundle, it had dropped to 178 at my local Walmart. I'm super happy with it. I wanted to wait until I saw pics of this one, and it's just not for me. If it's good for others, good for them. I'm digging my 3000, even if the price will drop 20 more bucks on Tuesday :)

The sticker at my walmart was not a red clearance sticker either, for any who care.

you're implying a 20$ price-drop? :p

Grayman said:
Retailers will either get some accessories to hock or get a larger margin on the hardware. Being fully DD Sony has near 100% margins on their first party stuff on the store so they may be confident in giving retailers 20 bucks because they can make it back off old games that have already been paid for.
however much they compensate retailers, it'll have to be some calculated number that absorbs a great portion of what they're losing in initial AND resales.

seems like the Go! is going to make lots of lives very complicated. :lol

Polk

Dreams-Visions said:
how about anyone who sells software (not second hand)?

you make almost nothing off the hardware. now they're setting you up to sell less and less software (where you actually made most of your money)?
Sony could release games papaton2-style.

J-Rzez

$249? Better have a touch screen. If they put this thing at the current PSP price, and slash the price on that old news (but better looking) model, maybe it'll have a chance.

I'm still shaking my head over that they didn't design an iPhone killer. If anyone can have a chance at doing it, it would be them. If they wanted a "premium" PSP, then that would've been the way to do it. If it was priced the same as an iPhone, and they didn't let the guy who did this design it, but let the SE people have at it, I would happily throw down the cash for it.

Grayman

Dreams-Visions said:
however much they compensate retailers, it'll have to be some calculated number that absorbs a great portion of what they're losing in initial AND resales.

seems like the Go! is going to make lots of lives very complicated. :lol
They could go the other route and just make big box like walmart and bestbuy happy, then gamestop will carry it to avoid losing the business that they could get.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You guys don't really believe these Sony "leaks" are accidental do you? This is all to let info trickle in because they have tons to show at the conference.

Oldschool said:
Apparently, the PSP Go! reveal is just the beginning of much more to come:

http://translate.google.com/transla...nog-komen/&sl=nl&tl=en&history_state0=&swap=1

I still think there will be touchsceen and it will be 199$.

that same Sony guy said there will be new I.P(s) revealed at the conference too

Pre-E3 annoucements or not! There's still lots of shockers planned for you guys @ E3, stay tuned...

Any new big PS3 IP? Sony have had excellent new IP this generation, hopefully we see one or two more on tuesday

Oh that I can most definitely say a big YES! to...

ruxtpin

Banned
I'm in agreement with others here. Over $200 and Sony is shooting itself in the foot. I believe cost is one of the primary reasons why the PS3 has lagged in sales, and if they decide to pull some outrageous price with this, the same thing will happen as well.

The majority of people associate the Playstation brand with games. I know the PSP can do pics, music, net, and so on - but I think the reason the majority of people buy a PSP is because they want portable games. And if Sony thinks they can charge some crazy price for it, when you've got a cheaper PSP (or the DS systems) - then I wonder where they're going to look.

Here's to hoping that we get a price announcement at E3. That, or gimme' a crazy bundle with the GT portable. =D

BlazingDarkness said:
that same Sony guy said there will be new I.P(s) revealed at the conference too

snmpsi.jpg

JoJo13

Banned
gofreak said:
He wasn't necessarily referring to PSP Go (indeed I'd bet he isn't). And besides, he's a PR guy, what do you expect him to say? 'Yeah, all our news is out, don't bother tuning in'? :p

If you look at his twitter he said that there are BIG new PS3 IPs to be revealed.

http://twitter.com/jakesplace0

Any new big PS3 IP? Sony have had excellent new IP this generation, hopefully we see one or two more on tuesday!

His response:

Oh that I can most definitely say a big YES! to...

I guess we can expect some megat0n PS3 reveals at E3...

Hopefully on the scale of the KZ2 reveal @ E3 2007 which was so fucking epic.

BBC game hasn't been shown yet, folks! This could be it. And apparently is blows away KZ2.

DiddyBop

As I've stated before, Sony fucked up with the entry price of the PS3 a few years ago, I highly doubt they make the same mistake again, especially in this economy as it currently is. I really don't see them launching this for any more than 200 dollars.

IF this were the two options.....what would be better for Sony to do?

PSP Go w/ touchscreen at 249.99

or

PSP Go w/o touchscreen at 199.99

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Major question time: Was the PSP GO leak intentional?

-On Saturday morning, a few users found that the Qore episode in their download lists had a "download" button, despite being grayed out and saying COMING SOON.
-A few hours later, the episode link was taken down.
-The PSP GO was unveiled and some details were finally known.

Interesting facts:

-Websites that were expected to go "dark" the weekend before E3 have now posted details on PSP GO on the front of their sites. No new news ever really goes live the weekend before E3, so this leak got massive attention the last two days.
-Many sites knew about the PSP GO! and are under embargo, so if some pictures were to surface by an anonymous user, for example, it wouldn't be likely that the major websites would report on it. Blog sites would still go crazy.
-By Qore leaking, it was essentially an "official" source and they simply reported on the facts: Qore leaks, new PSP GO info known.
-Nothing else on the Qore episode was time sensitive to E3.
-Generic mentions of "Gran Turismo" and Metal Gear was made, but no media or details provided.
-No price, launch date or any concrete details were given, which are major announcements at something like E3.
-No Qore YouTube vids have been taken down at the request of Sony, despite Sony & YouTube's partnership with the PS3.

What do you guys think?

Ettie

Gaffers said:
Touchscreen or no buy demands

Doesn't this just add another control option that splits the PSP/PSP Go userbase in the same way as a 2nd nub? If so, why does touch seem anymore realistic an option than analog nub numero dos?

JoJo13

Banned
chubigans said:

-On Saturday morning, a few users found that the Qore episode in their download lists had a "download" button, despite being grayed out and saying COMING SOON.
-A few hours later, the episode link was taken down.
-The PSP GO was unveiled and some details were finally known.

Interesting facts:

-Websites that were expected to go "dark" the weekend before E3 have now posted details on PSP GO on the front of their sites. No new news ever really goes live the weekend before E3, so this leak got massive attention the last two days.
-Many sites knew about the PSP GO! and are under embargo, so if some pictures were to surface by an anonymous user, for example, it wouldn't be likely that the major websites would report on it. Blog sites would still go crazy.
-By Qore leaking, it was essentially an "official" source and they simply reported on the facts: Qore leaks, new PSP GO info known.
-Nothing else on the Qore episode was time sensitive to E3.
-Generic mentions of "Gran Turismo" and Metal Gear was made, but no media or details provided.
-No price, launch date or any concrete details were given, which are major announcements at something like E3.
-No Qore YouTube vids have been taken down at the request of Sony, despite Sony & YouTube's partnership with the PS3.

What do you guys think?

It was 100% intentional.

Stuff like that doesn't get leaked on the weekend before a major event by accident.

And like you said, the video sets up an E3 reveal and doesn't really make sense in the context AFTER an E3 reveal.

Fusebox

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
from e3. Looks like Sony definately wants to keep the older model in the spotlight. Go will probably be like a '360 elite' version of the system.

I dunno, 360 Elites are superior to the old 360s, but the PSP Go offers portability at the expense of the UMD drive and a logically placed D-pad.

Fusebox said:
I dunno, 360 Elites are superior to the old 360s, but the PSP Go offers portability at the expense of the UMD drive and a logically placed D-pad.

Flash drive over UMD is superior, IMO, unless you have a huge UMD game collection. But if you were a new PSP owner, i'd rather just have the storage and ability to D/L games.

chubigans said:
What do you guys think?

Yeah,I've been thinking about this ALOT even though I was sticking with my "It's a leak" stance. After rewatching the Qore episode, you can tell by the way they are talking that it was meant to come out before E3, including phrases like "There's gonna be Gran Turismo that we're GOING to announce at E3". Also, the videos are still up on youtube. If it was a leak, they would pull it down.

At first, I thought it was meant to be shown as if E3 is already long gone but that's NOT the case. They don't announce ANYTHING. It's like they want to give an early taste to people and then talk about other stuff at E3 instead of revealing Go.

nofi

JoJo13 said:
It was 100% intentional.

Stuff like that doesn't get leaked on the weekend before a major event by accident.

And like you said, the video sets up an E3 reveal and doesn't really make sense in the context AFTER an E3 reveal.

Yup. It's like finding nice clean screenshots of stuff in your inbox. It's great (and free) PR, and it can easily look like a leak and then spread like wildfire.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
Oldschool said:
This.

And 199$.

I don't mind the idea of a PSP download only platform, but I am not touching it if they don't make improve the online browsing aspects and mutimedia functions that 802.11g and touchscreen will provide.

If the platform's online component is very important, they might as well improve the online experience on all the other multimedia functions and internet functions.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Hcoregamer00 said:
I don't mind the idea of a PSP download only platform, but I am not touching it if they don't make improve the online browsing aspects and mutimedia functions that 802.11g and touchscreen will provide.

If the platform's online component is very important, they might as well improve the online experience on all the other multimedia functions and internet functions.
I completely forgot about the web browser. Now I want touchscreen. :p

P90

I have a PSP fattie and a late model 2000 series. I see no reason to change/trade in anything for this iteration. In fact, I think this model is a dumb move. And yes, I took the honest route and bought UMD games.

Top Bottom