• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Go Memory Adapter Now Available (Use Micro SD on PSP Go)

Gaardus

Someone going by Kouchan66 has developed an adapter to use full-sized Memory Stick Pro Duo cards in a PSP Go instead of M2 cards. That adapter can be used in conjunction with a Micro SD-to-MS Pro Duo adapter to use Micro SD cards on the PSP Go, with a theoretical maximum capacity of 512 GB. This is useful because M2 cards are limited to 16 GB in capacity, discontinued, and absurdly expensive.
fc568e7e6b6397ffa31d95ce215f58d0.jpg

NBIdrrb.jpg

Since Memory Stick Pro Duo cards are physically larger than M2 cards, the adapter uses a ribbon cable to fold into the PSP Go; you'll have to open up your PSP Go to properly install it. Not a major hassle, and the process is fully reversible (EDIT - Maybe not quite? From the store page, via Google Translate: "Although it is slight, processing to the PSPgo rear cover is required."), but you'll need a screwdriver.

You'll also need to trim off the plastic dividers between the contacts on the MS Pro Duo adapter you'll be using. That part isn't reversible.

Kouchan66 is charging 2300 yen per adapter, and shipping to the US is 800 yen (about 28.50 USD total). Here's a rough guide for going through the checkout process:

Limit me to 16 GB of storage if old.

leng jai

I still have one of these lying around, pretty sure I lost the charger though. God the buttons were awful on that thing.

Luigiv

This is awesome. Hopefully someone can figure how to do this for the Vita without compromising load times.
SD2Vita is already a thing and why would you be worried about slower load times? Modern SD cards are way faster than Vita memory cards.

Balb

I still have one of these lying around, pretty sure I lost the charger though. God the buttons were awful on that thing.

My PSPGo is basically a permanently docked console with a tethered DS3 at this point. Great way to play PSP games.

Darktalon

And on official FW? Oh right, you can't.

Guess what, you will never be able to use a microsd without custom FW, the driver does not exist built in. So that isn't relavent to this discussion. Hardware mod alone doesn't work when the software is lacking.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
That is wicked. I'm in the process of fixing up my old psp 2000. Got a new faceplate and battery and battery cover and stuff.

mollipen

*goes to check to see how big of an M2 card her PSP Go currently has in it*
*sees that the slot is empty*

...oh. Maybe I should order this after all.

NewDust

Guess what, you will never be able to use a microsd without custom FW, the driver does not exist built in. So that isn't relavent to this discussion. Hardware mod alone doesn't work when the software is lacking.

This pspgo mod doesn't require CFW... People ask when we can do this on Vita, you guys say we already can. But you can't.

So that isn't relavent to this discussion.

Darktalon

This pspgo mod doesn't require CFW... People ask when we can do this on Vita, you guys say we already can. But you can't.

So that isn't relevant to the discussion.

Then the answer is we can never do this without cfw on Vita.
In the meantime between now and never, sd2vita works veeeery nicely for those not afraid of cfw.

Ontopic to the pspgo, this is a cool mod, just pretty dang late to the party.

NewDust

Then the answer is we can never do this without cfw on Vita.
In the meantime between now and never, sd2vita works veeeery nicely for those not afraid of cfw.

Ontopic to the pspgo, this is a cool mod, just pretty dang late to the party.

Sorry for being an arse... I'm just butthurt that both my Vita and VitaTV are over 3.65 OFW.

But yeah, cool people are still looking for solutions for unfortunate design decisions.

B.K.

Is the a step by step guide to installing one? I liked the GO, but memory space was my biggest issue with it. I would be interested in picking up another one if this process isn't too hard.

Gaardus

Is the a step by step guide to installing one? I liked the GO, but memory space was my biggest issue with it. I would be interested in picking up another one if this process isn't too hard.
Google Translate tells me Kouchan66 will email instructions after purchase, but the gist of it is:

1. Trim dividers off of microSD/MSProDuo adapter (sold separately)
2. Apply included conductive tape to adapter
3. Attach MSProDuo/M2 adapter to the other side of the tape.
4. Remove back of PSP Go.
5. Trim/Sand PSP Go back plate, maybe? "Although it is slight, processing to the PSPgo rear cover is required." (I didn't catch this before; I'll need to update the OP.)
6. Insert adapter into M2 slot.
7. Fold adapter into PSP Go.
8. Tape adapter into place.
9. Reattach back plate.

I got something similar for my 3000 a while back. Phenomenal investment. Go for it if you're interested in holding a shitton of PSP games or want to use it as an emulator.

I didn't realize that many people owned psp go's...

My 3000 has been serving me well (apart from a steady decline in battery life) and though I haven't seen a psp go in person it looks like a bit of a downgrade...

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
PSP Go is still my favorite handheld of all time. This is neat... although I don't use it as much these days as I used to.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Well.. Just placed my order for one of these. Will see how it goes!

Gaardus

My order came in today, and I'm happy to report that it works as advertised! I'm now the proud owner of a PSP Go with 64+16 GB of storage. One minor caveat, though, is that there is a subtle bulge beneath the PSP Go's back cover where the MS Pro Duo adapter is, even after trimming away the bits of plastic on the cover designed to fill the void the adapter now resides in. Like I said, it's subtle, but it's there.

Lordecai

Neophyte
I bought the adapter, but now I'm too scared to touch it since I've never modded anything before. Is there a step by step guide anywhere that includes pictures?

Lordecai

Neophyte
Sorry for double-postsing, I can't edit my post.
But I really can't get this mod to work. Can anyone help me out, please?

lvl8

Off topic, is it a good idea to buy a 2nd hand PSP Go? I've seen a few ads near my place and I want to get one for emulation and other shit.

What should I be looking out for other than it works, screen isn't riddled by dead pixels and working buttons?

TriAceJP

Off topic, is it a good idea to buy a 2nd hand PSP Go? I've seen a few ads near my place and I want to get one for emulation and other shit.

What should I be looking out for other than it works, screen isn't riddled by dead pixels and working buttons?

The screen is exposed at all times, so make sure it's in nice condition.

Otherwise, they are pretty solidly built. I haven't seen any defects on a Go and I've personally owned two of them with no issue.

Top Bottom