• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Go UK Price revealed? ( £229.99 / $366.12 )

Apr 17, 2005
6,476
0
1,490
With the pound at 1.15€ and its been actually going a bit up from near parity, it shouldn't surprise anyone. From 219 to even 249 pounds wouldn't surprise me.

The problem is the european price overall, it should be 179 pounds / 199 euros with the PSP3000 at 139 pounds / 149 euros.
 

-viper-

Banned
Jul 7, 2007
10,356
1
0
More expensive than an Xbox 360. More expensive than a Wii. ALMOST as expensive as a PS3.

I could get a PSP-3000 for £110 right now brand new. £230 FOR THE GO IS FUCKING ROBBERY.
 

nli10

Member
Nov 16, 2005
3,244
0
0
The first two prices are from GAME and GameStation which are exactly the same company.

The fact that Amazon has a different price means that nothing is official and they are both guessing so they can open pre-orders.
 

ymmv

Banned
Mar 17, 2007
6,485
0
0
Amsterdam, NL
Kurosaki Ichigo said:
With the pound at 1.15€ and its been actually going a bit up from near parity, it shouldn't surprise anyone. From 219 to even 249 pounds wouldn't surprise me.
I guess UK gaf is still in denial about the ludicrous exchange rate for the pound and doesn't realize that most non-UK tech companies are selling their goods below actual prices. Nintendo was actually one of the few companies that did raise prices but many kept the old prices. A lot of European gamers saved a lot of money by buying a PS3 for only £280 in the UK. When the pound was at it lowest point and the pound euro conversion rate was almost 1:1 you could save almost 100 euro by buying a PS3 from Amazon.co.uk.

The pound has regained some of its value but you can still save money by importing stuff from the UK as long as foreign companies keep subsidizing British consumers by keeping prices at their old levesl On the other hand when those companies introduce new products many are inclined to use the current exchange rate and this is when the British do notice that their currency is worth shit.
 

Dead Man

Member
Aug 24, 2007
54,245
0
0
ymmv said:
I guess UK gaf is still in denial about the ludicrous exchange rate for the pound and doesn't realize that most non-UK tech companies are selling their goods below actual prices. Nintendo was actually one of the few companies that did raise prices but many kept the old prices. A lot of European gamers saved a lot of money by buying a PS3 for only £280 in the UK. When the pound was at it lowest point and the pound euro conversion rate was almost 1:1 you could save almost 100 euro by buying a PS3 from Amazon.co.uk.

The pound has regained some of its value but you can still save money by importing stuff from the UK as long as foreign companies keep subsidizing British consumers by keeping prices at their old levesl On the other hand when those companies introduce new products many are inclined to use the current exchange rate and this is when the British do notice that their currency is worth shit.
I think that would be an argument if there was not such a price discrepancy with the 3000, that should cost more to manufacture.
 

deadhorse32

Bad Art ™
Jun 6, 2004
4,502
0
1,630
idahoblue said:
I think that would be an argument if there was not such a price discrepancy with the 3000, that should cost more to manufacture.
Since the leak we know the Go! was going to be more expensive than the 3000.
The Go! was introduced as a premium product, it wasn't going to be cheaper.

But yeah we european are getting ripped off.
 

Dead Man

Member
Aug 24, 2007
54,245
0
0
Milhouse31 said:
Since the leak we know the Go! was going to be more expensive than the 3000.
The Go! was introduced as a premium product, it wasn't going to be cheaper.

But yeah we european are getting ripped off.
Yeah sure, if it's positioned as a premium product, fine, but almost 100% markup, and no new features that are easy to point to other than the form? That is going to be a very hard sell. I could see selling at the same or slightly higher, but the amount of difference is what is staggering to me, assuming the numbers here are correct. Is it really that 'premium'?
 

Nolan.

Member
Mar 23, 2007
8,531
0
0
Essex
I can only hope this is way far from the truth if it is true though they'll end up with another decent product sinking because of terrible pricing.
 

yankee666

Member
Jun 28, 2007
660
0
990
The price wouldnt be an issue if the digital copy of the games cost less than the UMD (sure you CAN do that on the 3000 but is an incentive to spend a little more). But it appears that neither in USA or Europe is gonna happend any time soon. Japan is another story, Digital cost between $10-15 less than UMD version.
Sure retailers want to make money.... but this is tooo much IMO
 

doicare

Member
May 14, 2006
2,132
0
0
The price is stupidly high but honestly i'm shocked at how shocked everybody else is at the price when this price hiking happens all the time in the uk :lol

ps3 $400, exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £249, actual price £300, 20% higher
ps2 $100, exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £62, actual price £95, 53% higher
psp $170, exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £106, actual price £140, 33% higher
psp go $250, exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £156, actual price £230, 47% higher

wii $250, exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £156, actual price £180, 15% higher
dsi $170, exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £106, actual price £150, 42% higher

Microsoft are the only ones who don't screw people over in the uk when it comes to conversion rates:

xbox360 arcade $200, exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £125, actual price £130, 4% higher
xbox360 pro $300, exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £187, actual price £170, 9% lower
xbox360 elite $400 exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £249, actual price £230, 8% lower

and yes i know, before anybody says anything i haven't included tax for the u.s. prices.
 

StuBurns

Banned
Jan 9, 2008
69,543
0
0
Who cares what the exchange rate is.

If you can buy a new PSP for £100 today, why should we pay £230 in a few months for this model which is in all likelihood cheaper to produce?

It's bullshit.
 

Owzers

Member
Mar 10, 2005
25,345
0
0
stuburns said:
Who cares what the exchange rate is.

If you can buy a new PSP for £100 today, why should we pay £230 in a few months for this model which is in all likelihood cheaper to produce?

It's bullshit.
But it has a new hat.
 

ymmv

Banned
Mar 17, 2007
6,485
0
0
Amsterdam, NL
doicare said:
The price is stupidly high but honestly i'm shocked at how shocked everybody else is at the price when this price hiking happens all the time in the uk :lol

ps3 $400, exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £249, actual price £300, 20% higher
ps2 $100, exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £62, actual price £95, 53% higher
psp $170, exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £106, actual price £140, 33% higher
psp go $250, exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £156, actual price £230, 47% higher

wii $250, exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £156, actual price £180, 15% higher
dsi $170, exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £106, actual price £150, 42% higher

Microsoft are the only ones who don't screw people over in the uk when it comes to conversion rates:

xbox360 arcade $200, exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £125, actual price £130, 4% higher
xbox360 pro $300, exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £187, actual price £170, 9% lower
xbox360 elite $400 exchange rate price from dollars to pounds £249, actual price £230, 8% lower

and yes i know, before anybody says anything i haven't included tax for the u.s. prices.
I hope you're aware that UK prices include VAT while US prices exclude VAT...? Without taking this into account any comparison is useless.
 

DodgerSan

Member
Dec 6, 2008
1,721
2
890
With the Go at £230 and a brand new Slim & Lite for £99, I think it's a really clever covert move from Sony to get rid of the old stock.
 

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Aug 13, 2007
6,683
0
1,065
The Orion Spur
Holy mother of god that is ridiculous, that's practically a quarter of a grand, Jesus, I'm almost temped not to buy on principle alone.
 

doicare

Member
May 14, 2006
2,132
0
0
ymmv said:
I hope you're aware that UK prices include VAT while US prices exclude VAT...? Without taking this into account any comparison is useless.
Yes i know all of that, and that's why i stated i hadn't included tax for the u.s. The uk numbers include vat which is the equivalent of tax, so no the comparison isn't useless at all.
 

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Aug 13, 2007
6,683
0
1,065
The Orion Spur
Average UK prices for Consoles/Handhelds in order of price,

Sony PS3 80GB : £279

Sony PSP Go : £229

MS Xbox 360 Elite 120GB : £219

Nintendo Wii : £179

Nintendo DSi : £149

MS Xbox 360 Premium 60GB : £159

MS Xbox 360 Arcade : £129

Sony PSP Slim : £110

------------------------------------------------------

I honestly can't believe £50 more buys you a PS3, a PS fucking 3, compare all the tech in a PS3 compared to what's inside a PSP Go, seriously, look at the above listing and see what you can buy for the asking price of the Go!, you can pick up a PSP Slim & a 360 Arcade pack for practically the same price, and for £40 more you can have a PSP Slim & a 360 Prem pack.

Looking at those prices I really have to give MS credit for not fucking us over on the price of their consoles in the UK/EU, it's no wonder why they are selling so well.
 

_Xenon_

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
2,129
0
0
Ridiculous, that's how they try to cape their loss in the game division?

Good part of it is it will actually push the DS sales because most of people are not batshit insane.

Bad part of it is some of those dumb rich kids will still bite it with parents money just because it's SONY it's the cool way.
 

Binabik15

Member
May 18, 2008
7,163
0
0
BaWü, Deutschland
Meh. 230£ are 263 euro, so they´re getting ripped off about the same as us. Both Euor-zone and UK pay more than 100 dollars MORE than the US.

VAT is at 19% in Germany, but it´s still a premium on top of it compared to the US.

Maybe my uncle can grab one in the US on a business trip for me
 

sensi97

Member
Jan 3, 2008
601
0
0
France
_Xenon_ said:
Ridiculous, that's how they try to cape their loss in the game division?

Good part of it is it will actually push the PSP-3000 sales because most of people are not batshit insane.

Bad part of it is some of those dumb rich kids will still bite it with parents money just because it's PSP Go it's the cool way.
fixed :p
 

FabCam

Member
Sep 2, 2007
2,321
0
0
twitter.com
Coming from someone who bought a PS3 at launch for £425 (~$800 at the time): fuck off.

If that price is true, it will bomb hard me thinks.
 

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Oct 29, 2006
6,485
0
0
Japan
By the time this comes out the pound will have risen significantly against the Euro (interest rates should rise in the next month or two which will drive value up). So it'll either be adjusted by October or I'll be taking the Eurostar to Paris and bringing myself back a PSP Go.
 

yankee666

Member
Jun 28, 2007
660
0
990
I think after all the fuss this high price is making (US-EUR) they should review it and case a) reduce the price or case b) include at least 2 games in it. If they bundle games like locoroco, patapon, ratchet or any SCE game they might have a chance to sell this PSP go at that high price...
 

FabCam

Member
Sep 2, 2007
2,321
0
0
twitter.com
yankee666 said:
I think after all the fuss this high price is making (US-EUR) they should review it and case a) reduce the price or case b) include at least 2 games in it. If they bundle games like locoroco, patapon, ratchet or any SCE game they might have a chance to sell this PSP go at that high price...
If this price included download codes for GT and the new Jak game, I would be there. £230 for a console and 2 games isn't actually too bad.
 

Xater

Member
Jul 28, 2007
48,003
4
0
ymmv said:
I hope you're aware that UK prices include VAT while US prices exclude VAT...? Without taking this into account any comparison is useless.
I doubt anyone in the US pay 20% or more on taxes.
 

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Dec 2, 2006
38,711
0
0
So much for Stringer talking like things are going to change.

So...... were is the PSP 3000 price drop?
 
Jan 27, 2007
1,596
0
0
i think patcher was right. He said sony is gonna rip off the initial buyers and then lower the price a bit down the line...