• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Go UK Price revealed? ( £229.99 / $366.12 )

Gowans

WOW I thought I was betting high at £200. :lol

Can anyone list this against all the other consoles RRP?

Opiate

billy.sea said:
Just like Pachter is saying, Sony is clearly ripping people off on the PSPgo.
The UMD drive in the original machine is much more expensive to make then throw in a 16 gig of memory in the GO. Everything on the GO is also smaller meaning the parts will be cheaper. On top of that, they don't have to worry about piracy and no need to work with retail which gives them even more profit.

Instead of lowering the price, they decided to jack the price so much higher.

This is not ripping people off, unless you think anyone who sells a machine for a profit is "ripping people off."

Honestly, the entitlement of gamers is going to be painful to reverse. We not only want but expect companies to bleed millions if not billions to please us.

Sony needs to start making a profit. Whether this is a reasonable price will be decided on how well this product sells, not by how much money they are making on each individual unit sold.

I expected £200, especially since Nintendo threatened to raise the price of the Wii from £180 to £200 a while back.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/nintendo-wii-price-to-rise-for-uk-trade

But £230 is insane. The Wii never did raise it's price in stores, it costs $250(US) and so does the PSPGO. Why does the PSPGO cost £50 more than a Wii?

A product that is going to be smaller, lighter and easier to ship than a Wii box should have cheaper distribution costs. I remember when Sony redesigned the box that the slim PS2 came in so that they could fit 4 in each shipping box instead of 3 to maxamise distribution costs, why is the PSPGO going to cost so much?

Answer: Sony is releasing the PSPGO to make the PSP 3000 seem like amazing value.

StuBurns

Banned
JunoTaksumi said:
The worst bit about it is that people will still buy it at this price.
No they won't.

The PSP-3000 is £99, and they're not dropping them. There is no justification for the discrepancy here.

zoukka

JunoTaksumi said:

I'm not so sure. Despite the cool-factor, I think GO won't fly too far.

But really Gaming has one of the strongest consumer-manufacturer "loyalty" ties. I know people who buy anything Nintendo for the sheer respect for the company and even if they know the product isn't all that good... same with Sony. It's unbelievable.

Wow.. I was harsh on the DSi before, but this takes the fucking biscuit :lol

Good thing I don't actually want this no matter the price. I want the DSi.

JunoTaksumi said:

I honestly don't think so.. I mean, this isn't a DS. You will see the PSP 3000 at £100 and this at £230. That's a HUGE difference. How much are the memory sticks these days? Cheaper than £130 I bet.

Draft

NinjaFridge said:
As has been said many times they are probably jacking the price up so the retailers get more profit on each unit so they have incentive to sell them.
Why would they not have incentive to sell them?

Does Apple incentivize retailers to carry the iPod?

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
Draft said:

Maybe they make more money per iPod sold than they do with the PSP?

Benson

PSP no!

This has to be a joke. I'm not willing to believe Sony are that far out of touch that they think it will sell at that price.

Dabookerman said:
I honestly don't think so.. I mean, this isn't a DS. You will see the PSP 3000 at £100 and this at £230. That's a HUGE difference. How much are the memory sticks these days? Cheaper than £130 I bet.

You can get a 16gig Duo from Memory C for about £60 if I recall correctly.

Draft said:

From what I hear, Apple treats retailers like crap, but demand is high enough that retailers have no real choice but to accept the small margins they receive.

Evlar

Banned
Opiate said:
This is not ripping people off, unless you think anyone who sells a machine for a profit is "ripping people off."

Honestly, the entitlement of gamers is going to be painful to reverse. We not only want but expect companies to bleed millions if not billions to please us.

Sony needs to start making a profit. Whether this is a reasonable price will be decided on how well this product sells, not by how much money they are making on each individual unit sold.
But how do people determine whether they're going to buy or not? Isn't price versus perceived value (in comparison to whatever standards of value each consumer chooses to use) a factor in consumers' choices to purchase? I sure hope so.

In this case (and really, in the case of all gaming hardware in my opinion) the average consumer will use a standard of value derived from looking at the price point of similar machines- that is, machines that have similar features, perhaps limited to the features that the consumer is most interested in. So for the PSP Go it will be compared against the DS, some smart phones, the iPod Touch, and a few other higher-end MP3 players. The basis of these comparisons will be PSP Go's functionality: portable entertainment platform with music, video, and gaming.

In my opinion, compared with its competition for devices that perform some or all of those functions, the price is too high in the US and crazy high in the UK. Apparently a lot of people in this thread agree. And, honestly, I don't think this is an obscure judgment call- the marketing departments at Sony, at least, should have come to a similar conclusion. Which begs the question: If they really want to sell this thing why not offer it cheaper?

The discussion about the cost of UMD drives versus flash fits into that argument. It isn't that people refuse to pay the high price for cheap components. People refuse to pay the high price for a different set of reasons (cheaper or more feature-rich competition, outlined above). Given that, why doesn't Sony have room to cut the price considering the presumed lower cost of components? And if they DO have room to sell it for cheaper at a profit what other explanation can we find for outpricing the market?

Perdew

Draft said:

Decent profit margins on iTunes gift cards, and all the accessories. Maybe Sony will follow suit? I can't imagine the latter would go very far, though.

spwolf

its definetly very expensive in Europe, but as european retailers get full margins on electronics, they also can discount prices, Amazon already has it for -20 GBP in UK.

Evlar said:
In my opinion, compared with its competition for devices that perform some or all of those functions, the price is too high in the US and crazy high in the UK. Apparently a lot of people in this thread agree. And, honestly, I don't think this is an obscure judgment call- the marketing departments at Sony, at least, should have come to a similar conclusion. Which begs the question: If they really want to sell this thing why not offer it cheaper?

I have to agree. I don't think the PSP is in a position to pull this off.
If it was a really high demand device getting a sexy new look and bunch of internal space, for example a new iPod I could see them being successful with that price.
But it's not. It's still perceived (here is N.Europe anyway) as a gamers machine.

Hurm. The reason why I don't want to decry it outright is I'm not a professional. I don't know what kind of figures Sony are hoping they'll see or what their plan is economically with the Go.

Hurm.

Tobor

Cruzader said:
Ok thanx for the minimum wage numbers.

Price is insane.

How is this even remotely relevant? The Go is being billed as a premium PSP. Minimum wagers aren't the target demographic.

This is the young adult professional PSP, while the 3000 remains for the tweenie market.

StuBurns

Banned
Tobor said:
How is this even remotely relevant? The Go is being billed as a premium PSP. Minimum wagers aren't the target demographic.

This is the young adult professional PSP, while the 3000 remains for the tweenie market.
Even still, it's function-wise, basically the same, it can't be more than double, it's obscene pricing.

xbhaskarx

Dead Man Typing said:
So what features can they remove from the PSPGO to force the price down, after 6 months?

:lol
It will no longer be backwards compatible with pre-2009 PSP games.

Busty

Banned
At this price Sony appear to be trying to atract a higher end market than they currently do with the PSP.

I have no idea what exactly this 'higher end market' is and frankly, I suspect, neither do they.

I can see every mobile phone shop offering this as a 'free gift' with higher mobile phone plans later this year.

Tobor

stuburns said:
Even still, it's function-wise, basically the same, it can't be more than double, it's obscene pricing.

That's subjective. Weight, size, and getting rid of UMD is a huge upgrade IMO. As for the price, yeah, that seems high, but like everyone else has said, you need to wait for confirmation.

My main point was that UK minimum wage is irrelevant to the discussion, that's certainly not who Sony is shooting for.

CorwinB

Dead Man Typing said:
So what features can they remove from the PSPGO to force the price down, after 6 months?

Considering they removed BC with existing PSP software right from the start, I'm afraid they don't have much place to go. It should be noted that Nintendo managed to remove BC with GBA software (and anything requiring an expansion slot, like GH) and up the price at the same time, though.

Dead Man

Tobor said:
That's subjective. Weight, size, and getting rid of UMD is a huge upgrade IMO. As for the price, yeah, that seems high, but like everyone else has said, you need to wait for confirmation.
How much extra do you expect to pay for PS3 Slim? :D

Dever

Banned
I really want to play Peace Walker but that price... hahahahaha. I'll look into buying ye olde PSP.

Parl

Dead Man Typing said:
I expected £200, especially since Nintendo threatened to raise the price of the Wii from £180 to £200 a while back.

What happened was that they DID raise the price of the Wii to retailers. It's up to retailers to raise their prices too, but they didn't.

Being an Apple Authorized retailer means you make nearly nothing on the ipod line but at least a decent amount off the up-sell accessories people add to their order.

That, and getting a first time customer off a high demand item is a valuable thing to a retailer.

JunoTaksumi said:

Somebody will but god lee times are tough these days. I dont understand how a handheld can be more expensive than a console

Trojan X

Banned
One word. Flop.

Honestly, they screwed up. The price is far too dear. I would rather buy another 360 and games for that price.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
stuburns said:
Wow, sorry, I didn't double check, I didn't even know they sold them both.

Easy to do, if the Slim and Lite is still out by the time the Go is released there will be 3 PSP's being sold. They need to sort that shit out.

FrankT

Psychotext said:
If Amazon are to be believed, the RRP is full of :lol

Ya read those comments. Some gems to be had and 1 star love to boot. Anyhow the initial launch month and thereafter are going to be really interesting as far as consumer response goes.

Top Bottom