• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Go UK Price revealed? ( £229.99 / $366.12 )

spwolf

Ether_Snake said:
So much for Stringer talking like things are going to change.

So...... were is the PSP 3000 price drop?

3000 price drop? :lol

those prices are real - now what it includes in the box, i have no clue, but it is certainly expensive compared to Ipod Touch where in USA it is cheaper than Ipod Touch.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
DemonSwordsman said:
i think patcher was right. He said sony is gonna rip off the initial buyers and then lower the price a bit down the line...

Stupid way to do it though, cause you want to build up interest early on. I think a lot of people who saw the price went to look further into it; as in, they started wondering how much better this is than the PSP 3000, something they wouldn't have done if it was priced lower than the 3000. So basically, they fucked the reputation of the PSP Go day one.

spwolf

Ether_Snake said:
Stupid way to do it though, cause you want to build up interest early on. I think a lot of people who saw the price went to look further into it; as in, they started wondering how much better this is than the PSP 3000, something they wouldn't have done if it was priced lower than the 3000. So basically, they fucked the reputation of the PSP Go day one.

i suppose that SCE doesnt care that much about Go! so they priced it to make money on few people who might buy it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Oh god, Australia is going to get violently raped, I can just feel it.

It hurts.

spwolf said:
i suppose that SCE doesnt care that much about Go! so they priced it to make money on few people who might buy it.

I don't think that's how R&D/getting factories to make new devices works.
But you might on to something that Go may be just something to use a PSP brand push, expecting that it'll help sell alot of the lower end models and charge this price so Go will cover it's development costs and just that.

Silly Sony.

spwolf

Zeouterlimits said:
But you might on to something that Go may be just something to use a PSP brand push, expecting that it'll help sell alot of the lower end models and charge this price so Go will cover it's development costs and just that.

Silly Sony.

i am sure there are "reasons" for it - taxes + retail margins in europe + currency exchange + lower market for DD means less $$$ later on, etc, which made SCE do it.

I guess we will have to wait to see what happens really. Retailers often discount goods in Europe so expect that price to drop 199 GBP soon, but it is still not affordable :D

Raistlin

Are we sure it isn't just stores gauging the pre-sales?

During the E3 conference, Sony announced it would sell at the same pricepoint PSP launched at in the US and Europe?

Charging higher for presales doesn't make sense, as GAME (one of the retailers in question) doesn't charge 'til they ship and any price changes between now and then carry over in the order.

antispin

Onix said:

During the E3 conference, Sony announced it would sell at the same pricepoint PSP launched at in the US and Europe?

Just saw the Sony E3 conference off PSN; Kaz puts the GO's price at $250 / Euro 250, which would translate to GBP 216 per current rates.

Btw, the GO is really small, did not realize that. Will buy!
when price drops

EDIT: Sorry for the bump! Did not realize that this was an open tab since last night. Oops.

laserbeam

Banned
Zeouterlimits said:

Silly Sony.

Since the PSP Go already uses another failed sony device's shell for the most part I suspect they aren't too worried. They will rape early adopters hardcore with no lube and once they feel comfortable kill the PSP-3000 off and lower price of Go. Eventually they will kill one of the models off and since everyone wants a peice of the Apple Pie I would guess the Go Survives.

Stink

Onix said:

All these stores offer a pre-order price guarantee like Amazon.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking
lowrider007 said:
Average UK prices for Consoles/Handhelds in order of price,

Sony PS3 80GB : £279

Sony PSP Go : £229

MS Xbox 360 Elite 120GB : £219

Nintendo Wii : £179

Nintendo DSi : £149

MS Xbox 360 Premium 60GB : £159

MS Xbox 360 Arcade : £129

Sony PSP Slim : £110

Thanks for putting that into perspective. That's just some wacky pricing.

jrricky

Banned
CorwinB said:
Considering they removed BC with existing PSP software right from the start, I'm afraid they don't have much place to go. It should be noted that Nintendo managed to remove BC with GBA software (and anything requiring an expansion slot, like GH) and up the price at the same time, though.
No. Removing BC with GBA did NOT up the price. Two completely different situations. I think your missing a couple features there in your sentence to fit the agenda.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Sony is in survival mode.

They are doing what they can to add value to their products without running financial risk.
It's important for them to make a profit from now on. This change may seem different now because they're transitioning, but I believe that even in the future they'll seek to profit on everything they make.

No more razor-blades.

Huggers

businessdesk__1220876769_theo-paphitis.jpg

I'm Out

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I just want to express my disgust towards the EU pricepoint as it was mentioned in the conference. 250€ when it's 250$ - fuck this shit.

Yeah, maybe I'm the nth guy whining (with n being a really big number).. Still true.

nib95

Banned
W.T.F....

I was actually considering getting one of these. But at that price? Ha! Good luck. It's going to have to drop in price fairly substantially before I jump on board. Here I was thinking it'd be around £150 to £170.

davygee

Banned
I'm shocked at the price point Sony is putting the PSPGo!

In the UK, preorders are around £229.99 for the PSPGo and that is a huge price and I don't see many units moving at this price point.

At the moment you can pickup:

PSP 1000 - Can't find any!
PSP Slim'n'Lite (2000) - £99.99
PSP 3000 - £129.99

So being sensible, I would expect the PSPGo to come in a bit more than the 3000 model at maybe £149.99 or maybe even as much as £179.99 at a push which in fact was the original RRP for the PSP when it was released.

£229.99 is too much and it won't be long before it comes crashing down below £200 and closer to £150 IMHO.

thuway

I just don't understand the marketing philosophy behind this. Perhaps the PSP-Go! will be made to offset the initial price drop of the Playstation 3?

doicare said:
Yes i know all of that, and that's why i stated i hadn't included tax for the u.s. The uk numbers include vat which is the equivalent of tax, so no the comparison isn't useless at all.
your comparison is better without taxes.

every state has different sales tax rates, and then after that, different counties inside each state can also have their own sales tax added on to the state tax, so sales tax can be anywhere from nothing to over 10%

there is no way you would know how much to apply.

davygee

Banned
thuway said:
I just don't understand the marketing philosophy behind this. Perhaps the PSP-Go! will be made to offset the initial price drop of the Playstation 3?

Before the official E3 launch I honestly thought that it would be comparable with the current pricing of the PSP seeing as it was getting rid of the UMD drive as 16Gb of space isn't particularly expensive nowadays.

I was seriously thinking of trading in my PSP-1000 for this if there was a trade in scheme for UMD games...but there isn't a hope in hell that I'm paying anywhere near £230 for it.

I really think they are missing a trick here...surely it doesn't cost that much to make?

Goldrusher

lowrider007 said:

£279: PS3 80GB
£229: PSP Go
£219: Xbox 360 Elite 120GB
£179: Wii
£149: DSi
£159: Xbox 360 Premium 60GB
£129: Xbox 360 Arcade
£110: PSP 3000

Here in Belgium:

€399: PS3 80GB (inc game)
€299: Xbox 360 Elite 120GB
€249: PSP Go
€249: Wii (inc game)
€229: Xbox 360 Premium 60GB
€179: Xbox 360 Arcade
€169: PSP 3000
€169: DSi

Asparagus

Sony said it would retail for the same price as the original in the EU and NA so I dunno...

I'll probably import one either way.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I actually did a double-take right there, and then I realised that wasn't neojubei.

lowrider007 said:

Sony PS3 80GB : £279
Sony PSP Go : £229
MS Xbox 360 Elite 120GB : £219
Nintendo Wii : £179
Nintendo DSi : £149
MS Xbox 360 Premium 60GB : £159
MS Xbox 360 Arcade : £129
Sony PSP Slim : £110

It almost confirms there won't be a PS3 price cut this year, or will the redesigned PS3 end up being cheaper than the redesigned PSP? (It would be fairer to add £20 to most of those non-RRP prices though.)

seat

According to GAF, Sony is hemorrhaging money and can't afford a price cut for their premiere platform. So what do they do? Release a new hardware iteration of their portable system at an inflated price. Makes sense to me!

Opus Angelorum said:
You have to figure in the cost of R&D
"We've got a bunch of these old Mylo 2 cases hanging around... can we fit the PSP in there if we take off the UMD drive?" "Yes? Sweet, lets grab some lunch."

kikonawa

euro price is 250€ .Same as psp launched so i dont see a problem.

I ONLY see a problem with the UKpound loosing much of its value.

Actually, the price of a p3 at 279UKp is 100EURO less then the EURO price of 399!

so blame the uk pound not the rest of the world
:lol

Dead Man

Goldrusher said:
Here in Belgium:

€399: PS3 80GB (inc game)
€299: Xbox 360 Elite 120GB
€249: PSP Go
€249: Wii (inc game)
€229: Xbox 360 Premium 60GB
€179: Xbox 360 Arcade
€169: PSP 3000
€169: DSi
So the same price as a Wii? Is it the same in the US? That's quite a bit different to the UK price:
£229: PSP Go
£219: Xbox 360 Elite 120GB
£179: Wii

All the people defending this need to look at the relativity of the price compared to other items in the respective markets. Of course the actual amount will vary by region, but relative prices should still be the same.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
Wollan said:
Wait, didn't they say the PSP Go would launch at the price equal to the original PSP launch price? I'm pretty sure Tretton said that on stage.

That would be £179.99. Maybe the shops are just guestimating at this point?
He did, but he was probably speaking for the 'merkins. They said in the same breath as $250 that it would be 250 euros when it launched in Europe so I don't get why people are getting all flustered at this point.

Psychotext said:
"We've got a bunch of these old Mylo 2 cases hanging around... can we fit the PSP in there if we take off the UMD drive?" "Yes? Sweet, lets grab some lunch."

I tend to hold the same stance, however I'd suggest the sliding mechanism would have taken a fair bit of thought (concerning reliability).

doicare

Graphics Horse said:
It almost confirms there won't be a PS3 price cut this year, or will the redesigned PS3 end up being cheaper than the redesigned PSP? (It would be fairer to add £20 to most of those non-RRP prices though.)

Don't you think it's likely that hiking up the price of the psp go is a way to cover the loses of a potential ps3 price drop?

doicare said:
Don't you think it's likely that hiking up the price of the psp go is a way to cover the loses of a potential ps3 price drop?

Depends how many people buy them. A psp 3000+16 gb memory stick is £190

DSN2K

Sony really can fuck off at that price, I might as well just buy a PSP 3000, not like im missing out on anything at all, infact I'd say PSP 3000 should be more expensive, it supports UMD for one

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Graphics Horse said:
(It would be fairer to add £20 to most of those non-RRP prices though.)

Well I had a good look around and they are a realistic approximation of what they sell for, some products like the DSi & Wii for example are shown @ rrp because that is the price they still fetch and tbh what with the Wii now costing retailers in the UK an extra £20 I don't see that changing any time soon.

DrXym

Ether_Snake said:

Worse than that, Sony has alienated existing PSP owners by not providing a way to transition their existing collection of games. In fact it's much worse than that since custom firmware lets people transition their games but Sony doesn't. In some ways this decision will just hasten and legitimize custom firmware arriving for the Go at which point all bets are off.

I really don't see any reason I'd want to fork out for a Go. If I absolutely wanted to buy games through PSN (even though they cost more than bricks and mortar stores) I could just buy a memory stick for my PSP and do it.

Scotch

ymmv said:
I guess UK gaf is still in denial about the ludicrous exchange rate for the pound and doesn't realize that most non-UK tech companies are selling their goods below actual prices. Nintendo was actually one of the few companies that did raise prices but many kept the old prices. A lot of European gamers saved a lot of money by buying a PS3 for only £280 in the UK. When the pound was at it lowest point and the pound euro conversion rate was almost 1:1 you could save almost 100 euro by buying a PS3 from Amazon.co.uk.

The pound has regained some of its value but you can still save money by importing stuff from the UK as long as foreign companies keep subsidizing British consumers by keeping prices at their old levesl On the other hand when those companies introduce new products many are inclined to use the current exchange rate and this is when the British do notice that their currency is worth shit.
This.

Companies won't raise prices in the UK for existing products, because that's basically unimaginable with consumer electronics. But you can bet they will look very carefully at the exchange rate when they launch new stuff. Just look at the DSi, the most recent new platform: it costs almost the same as an Xbox 360 Pro.

The British pound is actually on its climb back up, so if it has reached old levels by october, you Brits have reason to complain. Right now though, you're getting fucked just about as hard as every other European. :lol

pound-dollar_2.png

Top Bottom