• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP Homebrew strikes back: TV-out to your PC

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
This has been around for a while, but a recent recompile makes the process much simpler
(without the need of PSPlink and PSPsh).

This will work in the XMB, GAME & POPS (excuse my crap phone camera shot)
DSC02405.jpg

Installing Remotejoy
What you need:

- PSP with 3.71 m33 firmware [PSP1000/2000]
- Windows XP
- USB cable

- libUSB drivers: *temporarily removed*
Install these to your Windows installation in order for it to recognize the PSP in USB mode.

- Remotejoy plugin: Remotejoy plugin.zip
Put your PSP in USB mode.
Extract the SEPLUGINS folder to the root of your memory stick.

- Remotejoy PC client: Remotejoy PC side.zip
Extract to any location on your PC

PSP side:
- Shutdown the PSP and upon turning it back on, access the recovery console by holding R
- Go to the Plugins menu, enable remotejoy.prx and usbhostfs.prx for VSH/GAME/POPS
- Exit recovery console

*Setup done*

Using Remotejoy

- Plug in USB cable to PSP

PC side:
- Go to folder with Remote PC client.
- Run usbhostfs.exe(opens up a USB session, leave this open while the using remotejoy)
- Run "Remotejoy - Full Screen.bat"
- You should be presented with a black screen, hit F5 on your keyboard, and your PSP should magically output to your monitor.

Limitations:

- UMD movies don't work
- Some games are unstable; problems usually originate from loading savegame data. To circumvent this issue: Enter your game, load your save, and only then run Remotejoy.

Keyboard controls:

UP Arrow = D-Pad Up
DOWN Arrow = D-Pad Down
LEFT Arrow = D-Pad Left
RIGHT Arrow = D-Pad Right

a = SQUARE
s = TRIANGLE
z = CROSS
x = CIRCLE
q = LTRIGGER
w = RTRIGGER

Return = START
Space = SELECT
y = HOME
u = VOLDOWN
i = VOLUP
o = SCREEN
p = NOTE

*Credits*: Tyranid, weltall, Schrade, and the libusb crew.

Dot50Cal

Banned
What game is that your playing?

Also, is there some kind of app which will let me play my PSP on a wireless ps2 controller (like the logitech ones?) Its a real pain playing it on the tv while hunched over it.

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
biggreenmachine said:
Do you have to use the keyboard controls?

Nope, you can still use the PSP controls.

What game is that your playing?

Also, is there some kind of app which will let me play my PSP on a wireless ps2 controller (like the logitech ones?) Its a real pain playing it on the tv while hunched over it.

Monster Hunter Freedom 2 :D

I believe you can use any USB controller thats plugged into the PC, you need to have an appropriate mapping file though. There's a PS2.map file supplied, just add on the argument to the remotejoy batch file: -m ps2.map

No idea if a wireless ps2 pad would work.

biggreenmachine

The bleeding edge of news reporting...
spindoc said:
Nope, you can still use the PSP controls.

I believe you can use any USB controller thats plugged into the PC, you need to have an appropriate mapping file though. There's a PS2.map file supplied, just add on the argument to the remotejoy batch file: -m ps2.map

No idea if a wireless ps2 pad would work.

So run your PC out to your TV and plug in a PS2 controller and you have a home console. :lol Looks cool, I'll pass the info on to my buddies using the old models as they are a bit jealous of the tv out on the 2000. How is it that it is filling so much of the PC screen? What resolutions does it support?

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
biggreenmachine said:
So run your PC out to your TV and plug in a PS2 controller and you have a home console. :lol Looks cool, I'll pass the info on to my buddies using the old models as they are a bit jealous of the tv out on the 2000. How is it that it is filling so much of the PC screen? What resolutions does it support?

I reckon it's running at 1024x768(obviously the PC is scaling it up with a blur filter or whatever). I tried searching for a size option but to no avail.

edit: no, its running at 512x384, and the monitor is just scaling it. On a CRT, you can stretch and zoom till you eliminate the borders.

hirokazu

RemoteJoy is cool, but I stopped using it because it's so crash happy on the PSP side...

Accessing Movies menu eh? CRASH!
Starting a game eh? CRASH!
Exitiing to XMB eh? CRASH!
Playing music eh? STALL!

If there was a way to stop the prx's running outside of making the PSP crash or turning it off, then i'd support it.

Seems like this new recompile just makes things a bit easier on the PC side, so unfortunately it's still a pain on the PSP end of things.

Also, the libUSB thing made my Windows XP unable mount the PSP as a removable disk since it keeps loading the libUSB drivers instead. Had to run two System Restores to fix it :mad:

SRG01

The title of the thread should be changed! It is USB-Video-out to your PC!

Furthermore, some things don't have full compatibility with this feature. If it messes up, the only way you can reboot your PSP is by removing the battery. :lol

spineduke

Unconfirmed Member
hirokazu said:
RemoteJoy is cool, but I stopped using it because it's so crash happy on the PSP side...

Accessing Movies menu eh? CRASH!
Starting a game eh? CRASH!
Exitiing to XMB eh? CRASH!
Playing music eh? STALL!

If there was a way to stop the prx's running outside of making the PSP crash or turning it off, then i'd support it.

Seems like this new recompile just makes things a bit easier on the PC side, so unfortunately it's still a pain on the PSP end of things.

Also, the libUSB thing made my Windows XP unable mount the PSP as a removable disk since it keeps loading the libUSB drivers instead. Had to run two System Restores to fix it :mad:

Could you try it without installing libUSB? BTW, all of those issues you mentioned have been fixed, since the dependancy on PSPlink is now non-existant.

hirokazu

Interesting, I'll give it another go soon then. Still worried about the libUSB thing. IIRC RemoteJoy doesn't work without the drivers.

Top Bottom