• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP in 2012 - What's left? 5 RPGS!

Hansel

Banned
I'll be getting Growlanser and Gungnir. I was originally interested in Grand Knights History but not no that I hear there's almost no single-player content. I'll be getting Unchained Blades on 3DS. The only one I totally don't give a fuck about is COH2 which by pretty much all accounts is generic C-list trash.

Last PSP game anyone will probably buy!

I'm hoping that mean loads of multiplayer content.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
It's such a shame that Sony let the PSP reach such lows in the West. There are probably two dozens Japanese games I'd definitely buy released for the thing in the last two years that will never make the jump across the pond.

matmanx1

Very excited about this list. It will be a mad batch of digital downloads for me asI no longer own a PSP but my Vita is ready!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
It's such a shame that Sony let the PSP reach such lows in the West. There are probably two dozens Japanese games I'd definitely buy released for the thing in the last two years that will never make the jump across the pond.
There was no choice one custom FW came along.

Apenheul

There was no choice one custom FW came along.

I don't think that's the whole story, I mean hardware sales were never booming either before or after CFW. I think it was a marketing issue and not having the right franchises to appeal to people who are the most likely to buy or receive handhelds.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
I don't think that's the whole story, I mean hardware sales were never booming either before or after CFW.
Maybe not booming per se, but PSP unit sales were very healthy for quite some time. Much healthier than the corresponding software sales.

They fell short of DS' highs, yeah, but DS is the goddamn best-selling system ever, so that's not exactly the fairest point of reference. Compared to the DS, the 360 could be deemed a failure also.

BKK

I don't think that's the whole story, I mean hardware sales were never booming either before or after CFW. I think it was a marketing issue and not having the right franchises to appeal to people who are the most likely to buy or receive handhelds.

The PSP's hardware sales are very disproportionate to its pitiful software sales. People were certainly buying the handheld, they were just loading CFW on it and playing FFVII before "legitimate" users could.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Definitely in for Grand Knights History and Growlanser... maybe Black Rock Shooter if it doesn't suck, but I dunno about the chances of that...

Hopefully P2: EP is out this year. Because that's naturally a must-buy.

cj_iwakura

Definitely in for Grand Knights History and Growlanser... maybe Black Rock Shooter if it doesn't suck, but I dunno about the chances of that...

Hopefully P2: EP is out this year. Because that's naturally a must-buy.

I've heard BRS is good. If Fate/Extra is any indication, I expect it'll be innovative but flawed.

maybe Black Rock Shooter if it doesn't suck, but I dunno about the chances of that...

I imported it.
I can confirm it's a solid game. Definitely worth a purchase.
Didn't like it as much as I liked Last Ranker, but I really, really enjoyed Last Ranker, so take from that what you will.

Zekes!

I'm definitely interested in a few titles, but it sucks knowing that if I buy a Vita my PSP library becomes unplayable on it since I tend to buy physical. Maybe I'll go digital for these titles.

Esura

Banned
That you'd take Fate/Extra over Growlanser says more about you than it does the quality of the year.

I prefer Fate/Extra to any Growslanser game. Had we gotten Fate/Extra CCC and it released the same time as the Growlanser game I would of surely bought CCC over it.

Why is NIS so quiet on Black Rock Shooter: Teh Game?

Growlanser is definitely the one I'm most excited about. For the longest time it seemed like the best games in that series (1&4) were both destined to stay in Japan. Granted, still seems that way for 1, but getting 4 is huge.

Gungnir's also a must-buy for me. I'll take a wait and see approach to the rest.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I wrote something up in the Hakuoki OT and on Giant Bomb for Hakuoki if anyone's interested. It's not an RPG at all, but a visual novel. And it's an IF game that I actually like.

Didn't like it as much as I liked Last Ranker, but I really, really enjoyed Last Ranker, so take from that what you will.
So did I. It's very good, and the soundtrack is one of my favourites of the generation.

What about that Suikoden recently released in Japan?
lol.

If Konami didn't seem to care much about the Japanese release with the lack of trailers and not even showing gameplay footage outside of 5 seconds prior to release, and them putting up a lot of Woven Web's game mechanics and character specifics up on the game's site a week prior to release, I don't think they'll care much about an English release. I'd be (pleasantly) surprised if Konami releases Suikoden PSP here via DD.

It's too bad because I like the game's narrative way more than Tierkreis's; it's more interesting. The voice cast is also amazing, and the protagonist is pretty good despite being voiced (I'd only played the English version of Tierkreis soIwasstuckwiththissortofprotagonistandIdidn'tlikehimverymuch). It's just pretty easy (easier than your standard Suikoden game, imo), has point-and-click maps, a bad camera, and I don't really like how it looks (looks really budget and the colour palette is quite dull).

Labadal said:
Anyone played the Blazing Souls game? I'm interested, but I don't know what to expect.
Eh... I honestly wouldn't expect much or perhaps you should grab it when it's on sale or something. I thought it was pretty mediocre (I liked the art and sprites; didn't think much of the soundtrack), but a friend of mine really disliked it.

You see, it's rather grindy. To progress, you need to get WP (work points), and then you need to spend those WPs to look around on the world map and talk to people to find battlegrounds. This is probably the worst part of the game, by far (and it's likely better to use a FAQ to progress the plot efficiently). I didn't like the mechanic much, but it caused my friend to put the game down for good. WPs are hard to find. You get them from going through the plot, or converting them from CP (which you get from getting long combos on enemies). I personally think this is the main issue with the game, and might make it feel like an absolute chore.

And level grinding is almost mandatory.

There's a lot of customization in this game too. You customize characters when they level up, you get stat points from battle, you can synth better gear, you can capture monsters to use in battle, you can synthesize items, there are multiple endings, some skills and aliases to get, extra characters to get, there's a NG+, etc. There's a lot to do in this game, and if you feel like you like it, you'll think that it's pretty beefy.

Or needlessly overly-complex... It's an Idea Factory game. I'm not too fond of IF games. I'll stress that you should read the instruction manual carefully and follow the in-game instructions and tutorials. Save before you search for stuff. Keep multiple saves in case you screw up.

And the voice acting was good.

Now I'm reminded that I still have to start Jikandia after finishing off Suikoden too! :O

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Let's see... as for Fate/EXTRA, I think it's okay. Narrative, music, and how it looks are great.

The narrative, dialogue, music, and visuals are better than the battles and battle system. I found battles and dungeons very repetitive, not very difficult (unless you were on the Caster route, but even then, that could be solved by levelling up some, or using appropriate skills to lessen the difficulty; I played Archer's route first and then played Caster's, but since I knew most of the enemy attack patterns already, it wasn't as difficult), and battles essentially boil down to rock-paper-scissors (and the enemies' actions are either hidden or visible to you). I kept enemy patterns written down in a spreadsheet and ended up memorizing them after a while. There are a few things you can play with like Masters using certain attacks to pre-empt the enemy Servants from using their attacks or special skills in a round, which is pretty nice. Though in hindsight, I should have picked Caster on my first playthrough for added difficulty. Grinding isn't bad, but I wished enemies would respawn faster.

Actually, the overall flow of the game can be a little repetitive on the surface. You get assigned an opponent each week, need to find out info about them so you don't get annihilated in the end-of-week battle against them, and then complete a two-floor dungeon + sidequests if you talk to NPCs. Game needed a save-in-the-dungeon feature. I guess you could say that each week in the game is different based on dialogue and some of the stuff you do per week.

But I guess interest in the universe, the characters, and the dialogue kind of kept me going. Gender, unfortunately, made little difference with regards to dialogue. I still had a good time with it, but I wouldn't expect a ton from it.

I just noticed a good two days ago that Hakuoki isn't on the VITA PSN store. :(
That's quite strange; I remember Akselziys saying that they were trying to get it on there.

I wonder if they having issues with it.

Edit: ugh, kept this open too long. beaten. :lol

Eusis

I'm suspecting they just plan to throw a bunch of PSP games on at once given the new MLB game isn't there either (though that DOES have a proper Vita version), and are ironing all of them out. Hell, maybe Hakuoki would've been fine had it come just a bit earlier. It's why I'm getting Gungnir/Growlanser physically at any rate, don't care to wait potentially months because of this crap.

Labadal

Eh... I honestly wouldn't expect much or perhaps you should grab it when it's on sale or something. I thought it was pretty mediocre (I liked the art and sprites; didn't think much of the soundtrack), but a friend of mine really disliked it.

You see, it's rather grindy. To progress, you need to get WP (work points), and then you need to spend those WPs to look around on the world map and talk to people to find battlegrounds. This is probably the worst part of the game, by far (and it's likely better to use a FAQ to progress the plot efficiently). I didn't like the mechanic much, but it caused my friend to put the game down for good. WPs are hard to find. You get them from going through the plot, or converting them from CP (which you get from getting long combos on enemies). I personally think this is the main issue with the game, and might make it feel like an absolute chore.

And level grinding is almost mandatory.

There's a lot of customization in this game too. You customize characters when they level up, you get stat points from battle, you can synth better gear, you can capture monsters to use in battle, you can synthesize items, there are multiple endings, some skills and aliases to get, extra characters to get, there's a NG+, etc. There's a lot to do in this game, and if you feel like you like it, you'll think that it's pretty beefy.

Or needlessly overly-complex... It's an Idea Factory game. I'm not too fond of IF games. I'll stress that you should read the instruction manual carefully and follow the in-game instructions and tutorials. Save before you search for stuff. Keep multiple saves in case you screw up.

And the voice acting was good.

Now I'm reminded that I still have to start Jikandia after finishing off Suikoden too! :O

Sounds like I'd like some elements, and dislike the search for new locations. Might still pick it up some time, because I like the sprites.

Disappointing the psp has so few titles left in its library considering how young the Vita is, I only just got my PSP last summer. Though I still have a slew of titles to pick from of what is out.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I wonder if Persona 2 EP PSP will make it to NA within 2012. Atlus sure is busy.

It will. It's Atlus.

(Whoops, didn't see the date)

In any case, I'm pissed with Sega and Capcom not translating Last Ranker and Val Chron 3 and putting them up on PSN with the bare minimum of just text translations. :|

BigDug13

Everyone drives in the U.S. basically while in comparison, most people don't drive in Japan. I see people playing PSP on the trains all the time out here. That market of "I need something to do while I commute" doesn't really exist in a country where individuals drive cars to and from work.

Dwayne

Everyone drives in the U.S. basically while in comparison, most people don't drive in Japan. I see people playing PSP on the trains all the time out here. That market of "I need something to do while I commute" doesn't really exist in a country where individuals drive cars to and from work.

While I agree this is a great reason to have a portable console (I use my PSP on the train everyday), I don't think it's the reason the system flopped, considering the DS did so well.

Eusis

AND the PSP did very well initially. It's probably a one-two punch of piracy and iOS, piracy crippled software sales, and with software presence fading many people just went to iOS devices and stuck with those here. It probably didn't help there wasn't too much quality software, and earlier on some of that quality software got ported to PS2 anyway, creating the question of why even get the system for those games if they'll come to one you already own, and will likely play better on.

I do hope the Vita can get its bearings though, much as the 3DS ultimately did (though not to a satisfying level in America it seems.)

Dwayne

There's also the public perception - for some reason, people i've talked to tend to think that PSP has "no games", or that the games are all bad. Blows my mind when I hear it but I have heard it several times from "gamers' :(

vall03

There's also the public perception - for some reason, people i've talked to tend to think that PSP has "no games", or that the games are all bad. Blows my mind when I hear it but I have heard it several times from "gamers' :(

the most common public perception imo for the PSP are those people who says "I'd rather play this at home/on a big screen/on HD". They are acknowledging the games on the PSP, but hate the fact that these games are on the PSP. I noticed this a lot, when a PSP game gets an article, there will always be people who will post "Is this also available on PS3?"/"Please make this games on PS3"/"PSN version please" which is very sad...

Top Bottom