• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSP in 2012 - What's left? 5 RPGS!

the most common public perception imo for the PSP are those people who says "I'd rather play this at home/on a big screen/on HD". They are acknowledging the games on the PSP, but hate the fact that these games are on the PSP. I noticed this a lot, when a PSP game gets an article, there will always be people who will post "Is this also available on PS3?"/"Please make this games on PS3"/"PSN version please" which is very sad...

This is pretty much all of my friends. They hate handhelds.

They also spew the whole "Why are there no good JRPGs anymore" bullshit.

I wonder if we have any chances for God Eater 2 western release. I hope that sales were good enough to at least give us DD version.

Apenheul

Won't touch it because nothing makes me more miserable than an unfinished story.

If you're okay with a remake I suggest Persona 3 Portable, or Tactics Ogre as a strategy RPG. Apart from Trails in the Sky I don't think PSP got that many great original RPGs.
*EDIT*: How about Kingdom Hearts: BBS?

stalker

For someone who hasn't touched his much, what is a must play? ( best of the best, not just good)

I bought the PSP for RPGs, almost exclusively. Personally I recommend as best of the best:
- Trails in the sky
- Ys III The Oath in Felghana
- Tactis Ogre
- Valkyria Chronicles II
- Half-Minute Hero

If you love sRPGs, then Wild Arms XF also.

Any word if Black Rock Shooter is on the E3 show floor? I wonder if its still coming. Is NIS America even at E3?

Also, Gungnir is next week. Anyone know the size? I'll need to get some stuff off my stupid small 4gig Vita this weekend

Eusis

Any word if Black Rock Shooter is on the E3 show floor? I wonder if its still coming. Is NIS America even at E3?

Also, Gungnir is next week. Anyone know the size? I'll need to get some stuff off my stupid small 4gig Vita this weekend
4 GB Vita? Honestly, I'd just invest in an 8 GB card if you can at this point, bigger sizes are nicer but at least you'd have the space for this, Growlanser, and others. You could try to dig up the size of the game on the Japanese PSN though.

... But I'm sticking with physical, because I don't trust SCEA to get it there at launch, or even shortly afterwards, Hakuoki came out just before the Vita and they didn't even bother putting it in their "Coming Soon" list a few weeks back for fuck's sake.

Magazine racks will be tipped if this isn't on PSN.

The memory card came with the system (target bundle). I know I need a new one, I just can't bring myself to purchase one yet :(

Eusis

Magazine racks will be tipped if this isn't on PSN.

The memory card came with the system (target bundle). I know I need a new one, I just can't bring myself to purchase one yet :(
It'll be on PSN, but will it be Vita compatible? I'm not optimistic, I'll save PSN for a sale if I still care enough for Vita play specifically. A shame though, it's hard to go back to the 3000 screen after the Vita, but there's no choice if so many games won't work with it.

It'll be on PSN, but will it be Vita compatible? I'm not optimistic, I'll save PSN for a sale if I still care enough for Vita play specifically. A shame though, it's hard to go back to the 3000 screen after the Vita, but there's no choice if so many games won't work with it.

If its not Vita compatible then I guess I have a few more bucks for my memory card fund

Ricker

I bought the PSP for RPGs, almost exclusively. Personally I recommend as best of the best:
- Trails in the sky
- Ys III The Oath in Felghana
- Tactis Ogre
- Valkyria Chronicles II
- Half-Minute Hero

If you love sRPGs, then Wild Arms XF also.

Don't forget Jeanne D'Arc.

Eusis

Any word @ E3 on P2:EP PSP coming to the US?
Unfortunately not. I'd give it a few more weeks, it's still not the same amount of time post-release as when we got IS's announcement, and that came before E3. Probably helps they have an existing localization that can probably just be given a revision rather than a full relocalization.

I think my PSP will arrive in 10 days or so...

Type 0 not being released for PSP but probably for Vita is so sad :( but I guess considering how PSP piracy is rampant and even if wasn't people wouldn't buy games for it, it makes total sense from a business perspective to at least push the PSV to some extent [if sony money hat the SE enough]

Eusis

I don't think Type 0 is getting released here ever.
It will, but I think it's become a question of how. Look at games like FFIII and V, they still came here but it took years for V, and nearly two decades for III. Undoubtedly it'd be closer to V than III here, but I imagine we have to wait on a port or something now, and they may prioritize a Japanese release for that.

Teknoman

Whoa... didn't think about that. I would think that all new PSP digital releases will be Vita compatible.

Eusis

Whoa... didn't think about that. I would think that all new PSP digital releases will be Vita compatible.
Maybe they are in Japan and Europe, haven't followed heavily there, but SCEA's been pretty bad about immediately getting games there. Still, it's not as if PSP releases come out all the time, just have to wait and see what happens with Gungnir this week. Maybe if they (SCEA) promise an immediate Vita release I'll change my mind about how I get it.

Maybe they are in Japan and Europe, haven't followed heavily there, but SCEA's been pretty bad about immediately getting games there. Still, it's not as if PSP releases come out all the time, just have to wait and see what happens with Gungnir this week. Maybe if they (SCEA) promise an immediate Vita release I'll change my mind about how I get it.
The reason I bought a PSP and not a Vita, the main one, was that it's PSP compatibility is hit and miss; very poor in fact.

Eusis

The reason I bought a PSP and not a Vita, the main one, was that it's PSP compatibility is hit and miss; very poor in fact.
It's why I'll want to keep around a 3000: even if they get spontanously awesome and get EVERY future game immediately there and all current digital games supported there's still the stuff that never hit the PSN like Crisis Core and Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep. Nevermind the high number of games that COULD have come but they just didn't bother to put up, like most of SE's back catalog.

Parch

I'm willing to assume devs who supported the PSP will continue to do so with the Vita. I think it's more likely than not.
They're finishing up the PSP RPG's before moving on to Vita titles.

Eusis

I'm willing to assume devs who supported the PSP will continue to do so with the Vita. I think it's more likely than not.
They're finishing up the PSP RPG's before moving on to Vita titles.
The problem isn't them, it's SCEA. It's all up to them to get the games there on the Vita storefront, and judging by prior comments it's out of the publisher's hands.

Magnus

the most common public perception imo for the PSP are those people who says "I'd rather play this at home/on a big screen/on HD". They are acknowledging the games on the PSP, but hate the fact that these games are on the PSP. I noticed this a lot, when a PSP game gets an article, there will always be people who will post "Is this also available on PS3?"/"Please make this games on PS3"/"PSN version please" which is very sad...

Count me in as one of these. These amazing RPGs I want to play just don't make great portable games to me; I'd rather have something more digestible in small bites for my 20-30m commute.

I wish there were a suitable way to output to a TV, but the solution in place now with that component-out cable is a) cumbersome, and b) inherently faulty (unless they ever fixed the issue with the small image/giant black border around every game? Turned my 46" display into like, a 27" one)

Count me in as one of these. These amazing RPGs I want to play just don't make great portable games to me; I'd rather have something more digestible in small bites for my 20-30m commute.

I wish there were a suitable way to output to a TV, but the solution in place now with that component-out cable is a) cumbersome, and b) inherently faulty (unless they ever fixed the issue with the small image/giant black border around every game? Turned my 46" display into like, a 27" one)
what's the problem with the component?

You certainly want those black bars; upscaling the PSP resolution to eve 720P will be atrocious.

cj_iwakura

Growlanser definitely needs more attention to get people's interest in it so they can understand why it's so great. If the site doesn't go live, I'll at least do a Growlanser retrospective(maybe a community thread!).

Eusis

I understand traditional ones to an extent, but strategy RPGs too? A lot of them have battles over in that time, and failing that it's easier to stop, put a few turns in, then return to whenever. Of all genres that ended up fading from consoles and becoming more dominant on handhelds I think strategy RPGs are the most fitting for that switch.

Well, and in the case of Disgaea crazy grinding it just feels more suitable to do that on a handheld, where I can just put it to sleep than do something else rather than stay at a console for it.

Takao

Banned
Here's a title that got lost in the switch up from PSP to Vita. It's a remake of the PS1 classic Over My Dead Body. The original sold over 400,000 copies, and is largely praised as being one of the best RPGs on PS1. The remake developed by Alfa Systems (who made the original), and published by SCE was released in November of last year. It sold a strong 140,000 UMD copies by the end of 2011.

overm2.jpg
overm1.jpg

The concept behind the game is that you're a member of a family that has been cursed by demons. You only get to live 2 years, but you're allowed to mate with another family in hopes of one day defeating the demons and breaking the curse. As you can see, the game's a turn based RPG that took the water painting look for its' visuals. The team behind the game said they'd like to make more in this universe. A localization of the game has yet to be announced.

Trailer

There's a large thread over on XSEED's forums that could use support. Tom's a fan of the game, but that's just him.

Whatever happened to Danball Senki?

Multiple ports to 3DS, and Vita happened.

Is Ragnarok Tactics based on Ragnarok Online?

Yes.

cj_iwakura

I've always wanted to play Oreshika, but odds of it coming out here are pretty much non-existent. Shame they picked Unchained Blades over that.

Top Bottom