• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVita can't play PSone Games? EDIT: Seems unlikely!

onQ123

DangerousDave said:
So... a FAQ say that Vita is compatible with PS1 games.

But another FAQ says that they will release further information about compatibility of "game archives" (PS1 games is a part of "game archives")..

Conclusion: Vita is not compatible with PS1 games.

yep! now I'm just going to re-word it to mean that PS2 games will be part of the new 'Game Archives' & that's the further information that will be released.

zomgbbqftw said:
Yeah, I just read that as well. There must be some mistake as PS Suite supports PS1 games and Vita is the flagship PS Suite device.
PS Suite is separate from Game Archives though, and PSone games aren't transferable through them, they must be repurchased. It's possible that Vita could support PSS PS1 games but not GA PS1 games.

I think it's probably just region specific though, and probably the PCE games people mentioned. Hudson's reselling them on 3DS, they probably want to do the same on Vita.

I wonder if NeoGeo Station stuff will transfer or not?

mollipen

That Japanese page is simply saying that game archive support beyond PSP titles will be announced later. That could mean that maybe they want to wait for an addition to the announcement (PS2 titles?), or because - as I seem to recall - it was said that there may be some PSOne titles that won't end up working on the PS Vita. So maybe they want to put together a list of which titles won't be playable.

Totally, totally a non-issue here, and not any reason to get worried. I'm not really sure Siliconera should have published that story, because I'm not sure the person doing it understood the Japanese.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
shidoshi said:
That Japanese page is simply saying that game archive support beyond PSP titles will be announced later. That could mean that maybe they want to wait for an addition to the announcement (PS2 titles?), or because - as I seem to recall - it was said that there may be some PSOne titles that won't end up working on the PS Vita. So maybe they want to put together a list of which titles won't be playable.

Totally, totally a non-issue here, and not any reason to get worried. I'm not really sure Siliconera should have published that story, because I'm not sure the person doing it understood the Japanese.

Thanks, I'll put this in the OP.

Takao

Banned
Based off of what Anoop posted, I very much took it to read as "We'll announce PSone Classic support later" and am a bit disappointed Siliconera went with that.

Takao said:
Based off of what Anoop posted, I very much took it to read as "We'll announce PSone Classic support later" and am a bit disappointed Siliconera went with that.

Yeah me too. Just because it wasn't included in that material, doesn't mean that it won't be able to play PS1 games (really, there's no reason why it wouldn't be able to!)

JWong

Banned
Totobeni said:
Oh Sony..another fail,PSone games on Vita should be a priority,also it look like they will handle this kind of stuff even worse than the PS3 FW.
Yep, should be a priority over new games.

Nix

Banned
I don't really care all that much, since I know that just gives them ample warrant to make some more remakes, and those remakes will probably be balls to the walls good.

Oh, and the PSP library alone is going to kill me.

Oni Jazar

Totobeni said:
Oh Sony..another fail,PSone games on Vita should be a priority,also it look like they will handle this kind of stuff even worse than the PS3 FW.

I would argue that's it's not a priority. They've got Vita games, PSN games, PSP Games, Minis, and "PlayStation Suite" Apps/Games. That's a lot of damn content. A PS1 emulator will come very soon I'm sure.

V_Ben

Banned
Totobeni said:
Don't see why they should be a priority. I'd prefer they get the core OS right, and then focus on getting PSP games to work. If PSP games work, then that should be fine for most people. By the time it launches in the rest of the world, it should have PS1 compatibility. No biggie really.

mollipen

darkside31337 said:
Uh, looks like Shuhei just confirmed that the Vita WON'T play PS1 games at launch for Japan.

I think? Hard to tell what he meant.

http://twitter.com/#!/yosp/status/124947863494078465

Well... hmm. Just to be clear, the page that Siliconera based their story off of did not say anything about PS1 games not being playable, so their story was still incorrect. However, this now throws the entire topic back into cloudy territory.

I cannot fathom the PS Vita not being able to play PS1 games, so I'm not at all worried about that. Why that support wouldn't be ready for day one, however, is kind of mind-boggling.

sajj316

Not a big deal if it won't play at launch. It will be a big deal if it can't play PSOne games at all. I have a nice library on PSP and want to upgrade.

CamHostage

lupinko said:
Any gamejournos out there that had time with the Vita shed more light onto this?

PlayStation debug units typically cannot play multimedia or back-catalog titles, I would guess VITA kits have the same limitations.

Cipherr

sajj316 said:
Not a big deal if it won't play at launch. It will be a big deal if it can't play PSOne games at all. I have a nice library on PSP and want to upgrade.

Ive been at odds with folks in a lot of threads lately, so I didnt want to be the first to post this. But now since you have opened the door, I agree with this. Who cares if PS1 titles arent playable at release. The PSP library is more important, there are more launch titles than like, any other console ever, and the PS1 compatibility will likely be there down the line.

This is such a non issue. Im not arguing that it might not be a letdown, or inconvenient for some, but that it will be a minor minor, and (more importantly) temporary let down or inconvenience. This is not a big deal.

iavi

Cipherr said:
Ive been at odds with folks in a lot of threads lately, so I didnt want to be the first to post this. But now since you have opened the door, I agree with this. Who cares if PS1 titles arent playable at release. The PSP library is more important, there are more launch titles than like, any other console ever, and the PS1 compatibility will likely be there down the line.

This is such a non issue. Im not arguing that it might not be a letdown, or inconvenient for some, but that it will be a minor minor, and (more importantly) temporary let down or inconvenience. This is not a big deal.

For you. For myself, on the other hand, being a platform capable of playing everything from PSN PSone, to PSP, (maybe even PS2) was a big draw to the handheld. And not only that, the more new devices capable of playing the PSN direct downloads go on to extend the value, and ultimately the sense of evergreen, in those purchases. Having new devices that cut away from mold not only sets a bad precedent, but is a big deal. Even more so when the previous sony portable was capable of playing them.

Granted, everything could be peachy clear by time it launches in the US.

Valnen

He specifically said "JP Launch".

He wouldn't say it like that for no reason. Chances are the system isn't ready like someone said and they're being forced to launch early in JP.

mollipen

Miri said:
For you. For myself, on the other hand, being a platform capable of playing everything from PSN PSone, to PSP, (maybe even 2) was a big draw to the handheld. And not only that, the more new devices capable of playing the PSN direct downloads go on to extend the value, and ultimately the sense of evergreen, in those purchases. Having new devices that cut away from mold not only sets a bad precedent, but is a big deal. Even more so when the previous sony portable was capable of playing them.

Granted, everything could be peachy clear by time it launches in the US.

There's no way the Vita won't play PS1 games. I mean, there's no way Sony would bring that support to places such as Android devices, and then not have their major new mobile hardware not also have that same support.

It's a question of when, not if, and I don't expect that when to be long.

Am I the only one who thinks the thread title is ambiguous? Seems unlikely that it can't play PSOne games or seems unlikely that it can play PSOne games?

Takao

Banned
Once again, other than Yoshida saying it won't be there day 1 in Japan, he's telling us to wait for more info.

I thought the PS Vita was/is a Playstation Suite certified device. The Playstation Suite games/titles are primarily PS One games.
Sony, I'm confused...

Still seems stupid not to have it ready for launch, since it immediately increases the amount of games vita plays by several fold. What exactly is so hard about a ps1 emulator? Sony is really inefficient.

test_account

XP-39C²
H_Prestige said:
Still seems stupid not to have it ready for launch, since it immediately increases the amount of games vita plays by several fold. What exactly is so hard about a ps1 emulator? Sony is really inefficient.
If it is part of PS Suite, then i kinda makes sense i think, because PS Suite isnt out yet. I dont think that it is out before sometime in 2012.

Cels

what a joke if true. i'm not one of those people who feels entitled to BC on everything (I bought my PS2 games to play on my PS2, not my PS3) but damn, that FAQ posted a while ago said PS1 classics WOULD be playable. It's totally different when they promise something and fail to deliver.

jiggles

Banned
I'm guessing it's going to be running an entirely new emulator, that just isn't ready yet. Probably the same one that's going to be in all the PS Certified devices too.

It'd be nice if they took the opportunity to add some bells and whistles. Save states, upscaling, actual loading improvements and the like.

test_account said:
If it is part of PS Suite, then i kinda makes sense i think, because PS Suite isnt out yet. I dont think that it is out before sometime in 2012.
But it isn't part of PS Suite. It's a separate category on the PS Store, and I assume Vita will be able to access the PS Store at launch.

Sony really needs to consolidate all their DD crap. PS minis, PSone, PS2, PS3, PSP (some of which have minis versions), and soon PS Suite which will encompass god knows what.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Bizarre - seems like it'd be a pretty small thing to have ready for day one. Wonder what could possibly be the explanation?

Can't imagine Japan will be waiting long for it though if we read between the lines in Yoshida's comment (or that it won't be ready by western launches).

test_account

XP-39C²
H_Prestige said:
But it isn't part of PS Suite. It's a separate category on the PS Store, and I assume Vita will be able to access the PS Store at launch.
I was thinking about that PS Suite is what handles the PS1 emulation. And if PS Suite isnt on the device, the PS1 emulation isnt either :)

H_Prestige said:
Sony really needs to consolidate all their DD crap. PS minis, PSone, PS2, PS3, PSP (some of which have minis versions), and soon PS Suite which will encompass god knows what.
They already do this. If you access the PS Store on the PSP, you will then only get options to buy stuff that works on the PSP. I'm pretty sure that it will be the same for PS Vita.

iavi

jigglywiggly said:
I'm guessing it's going to be running an entirely new emulator, that just isn't ready yet. Probably the same one that's going to be in all the PS Certified devices too.

It'd be nice if they took the opportunity to add some bells and whistles. Save states, upscaling, actual loading improvements and the like.

This is my guess too.

I'm also guessing that a PSN restructuring of some sort is coming, because they did say that the Vita is a PSuite compatible device.

...Unless they really expect to have a mess of two completely separate storefronts.

Agent X

shidoshi said:
There's no way the Vita won't play PS1 games. I mean, there's no way Sony would bring that support to places such as Android devices, and then not have their major new mobile hardware not also have that same support.

It's a question of when, not if, and I don't expect that when to be long.

That's what I think. Like jigglywiggly said, I have a feeling this might have something to do with the PS1 emulator not being ready.

Hypothetically speaking, I suppose they could package up the PSP's existing PS1 emulation and run it on the Vita as a PSP task--effectively running an emulator within an emulator. However, with the Vita having additional control options (right analog stick, rear touch pad to work as L2/R2), and a new OS, they would be better off not doing this, as long as the Vita's native PS1 emulation isn't too far off.

It's a bit worrying that native PS1 emulation won't be available at launch for Japan, but as long as they can get everything worked out within 3 months time (for the worldwide launch), then it shouldn't be a big deal at all.

Top Bottom