• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PSVita - Stranger of Sword City Revisited announced for North America Feb. 28th

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Seems like Exp Inc went ahead and is releasing the PSV version of the updated Stranger of Sword City in North America coming the 28th of this month. New title is Stranger of Sword City Revised. Digital download only according to the press release.

http://gematsu.com/2017/02/stranger...oming-north-america-digital-title-february-28

Was honestly expecting NISA to pick it up for an eventual future release seeing how they have done pretty much everything else in the West by Exp Inc for the most part.

No word on if the Steam / XBO will also be getting the updated version released.

Still though good news for Vita fans who wanted to play this new version of the game as it really did improve on various things with the previous release.

Will edit the thread with info from the JP OT on what they changed later.

Added the info from the JP OT
--------------------------------------------------

List of the various additions and changes to the game follows below. I might miss some or translate something wrong as am half asleep on this side. Beware though as its going to be a fairly long list. Under the English list will have the original JP info listed also for those who can read better than I do lol.
  • New Traits
  • Addition of Origins? to character creation (similar to traits)
  • New portraits for the 3 new classes 6 total. 1 Male / Female portrait per class.
  • Removal of limit of Class Changing.
  • Adjustment of Skill Slots
  • Addition of items that increase Exp / Stats / Skill Slots
  • Addition of Beginner difficulty mode
  • Addition of "Ball of Light" repeat battle challenge system (No idea what this is)
  • Adjustment to current and new skills
  • Adjustment to current spells
  • Buff / Debuff limit setting?
  • Addition of enemy skills "Awareness" "Feint"
  • Addition of the "Guard Counter" system for the player. Able to KO enemies with it. Loses effectiveness the more its procced
  • Divinity skill adjustment
  • Addition of repeat Divinity skill command selection
  • Addition of new bad status "Curse" and adjustment to existing bad status effects
  • Displaying of bad status effects on enemies
  • Adjustment of enemy action patterns
  • Addition of Lineage Species Subjugation Challenge? system
  • Adjustment of Lineage Species respawn location and timing
  • Adjustment of random encounter percentage
  • Changed set enemy icon repop conditions to changing areas
  • Able to obtain treasure from enemy icons
  • Removal of rare item limitations (can have multiple rare items now)
  • Addition of new equipment
  • Addition of equipment strengthening at the shop. Removal of Mumic system
  • Addition of shop items restock when items are sold? (translation might be wrong)
  • Adjustment of resurrection / recovery healing time / cost
  • Addition of "Soul Saving" event
  • Addition of new monsters
  • Addition of Monster Gathering gimmick in dungeons (think this is the multiple encounter battle icon)
  • Addition of hidden treasure points
  • Adjustment of some sections in dungeons? (transalation might be wrong)
  • Improvement of the auto movement system for passing through cleared sections with spinner panels
  • Adjustement to morale usage rate for hiding system
  • Adjustment to drop rates for some items (underwear and accessories) in particular
  • Adjustment to inventory space
  • Removal of limit on amount of playthroughs that can be done
  • Change to how one can approach the different ending routes? (translation might be wrong)
  • Adjustement to traps in dungeons
  • Mausoleum of Ice - limitation on skill usage has been changed (blocked to take damage instead)
  • Adjustment to the switch gimmicks in the Ark of Eternity
  • Addition of item identification during battle (why? lol)
  • Change to ranking categories
  • Change to trophies
  • Improvement of UI?
  • 20 other fixes (not listed)
  • Additional dungeon(s)? added after clearing the game. (Not sure on how many total? will try to find out when the wiki is updated)
dP48w7k.png
khBy5kk.png
humn3Fe.png
BIh97D4.png
MOGHK8J.png

Great news.

Will pick up down the line. I'm behind on my Exp Inc. titles, only just finished the first term of Operation Abyss! D:

Parakeetman

Glad I held out. Will get this version.

Surprised they didn't bring it to PS4, tbh.

Yeah am kinda hoping they will eventually start doing PS4 versions of their older titles. Though not quite sure on how much effort that will take on their behalf. Unless the titles that they did as collaborations such as Demon Gaze / Op Abyss + Babel can get the pub side dev teams to work on the ports.

As I personally want some DRPGs on my PS4. D:

Tohsaka

Damn, wish I hadn't bought the vanilla version. Won't be rebuying this one since I already finished it and we're getting Demon Gaze II and Operation Babel in the next 2-3 months.

Yeah am kinda hoping they will eventually start doing PS4 versions of their older titles. Though not quite sure on how much effort that will take on their behalf. Unless the titles that they did as collaborations such as Demon Gaze / Op Abyss + Babel can get the pub side dev teams to work on the ports.

As I personally want some DRPGs on my PS4. D:

Aren't they developing a PS4 gridder anyway?

Defo getting this. I own too many copies of the original across platforms lol. Wish it wasn't digital only though. Glad it's coming over.

Intel_89

I still need to grab Stranger in Sword City and since this will be a digital only release I'll probably just stick to the 'base' game.

Parakeetman

Aren't they developing a PS4 gridder anyway?

Need to look up info on that. Only things I remember recently is their horror game thing and that Xbox SRPG. Though will be nice to see them finally moving to next gen development also.

Need to look up info on that. Only things I remember recently is their horror game thing and that Xbox SRPG. Though will be nice to see them finally moving to next gen development also.

I swear they announced they were working on PS4 but I can't find any articles lol, so maybe not.

Parakeetman

I think I remember reading that too, wasn't that long ago.

edit: Here it is.

Oh nice! Though sounds like they were kinda skating around the issue lol. But yeah most def they will need to start moving towards the current gen platform if they want to keep up sales.

Parakeetman

Why not just DLC? I haven't finished the first version yet heh...

They stated that the game could not be made as just DLC due to the various changes which was done to the game overall gameplay / mechanics wise. They had even attempted to work with Sony in trying the DLC route but it was not possible. This was talked about during their anniversary event last year?

Having played the JP version I can kinda see why it was not possible just through DLC.

Jimrpg

Disappointed it's not DLC.

I guess I'll play thru my vanilla and then pick this up down the road when it's discounted.

Is it out in Europe as well?

Nice. Been wanting to get one of these vita dungeon crawlers and I liked the art style of this game. Will definitely get this down the road.

Parakeetman

Disappointed it's not DLC.

I guess I'll play thru my vanilla and then pick this up down the road when it's discounted.

Is it out in Europe as well?

Dont think they announced a EU date yet just the 28th for US.

Mozendo

Usually I wait out if there's a PC version, but I always make an exception for Dungeon Crawlers.

Can't wait to play SoSC again, although I'll have to start all over again since I played on PC ;__;

JPS Kai

They picked a great price to start.

Now I'm torn between trying to finish up the last dungeon and get the platinum, or put it down and wait for the expanded release.

Also,
fuck Mumic.

Edit: I can almost bet the redesigned trophies are the #1 reason Sony won't let it be classified as DLC.

Opa-Pa

Wow, so we're getting this after all, neat. I didn't get to finish the vanilla version, but I think I'll get this anyway.

It's a bummer that it's digital only, but I guess it helps me not regret getting the original game haha.

Parakeetman

I asked them about a physical release through LimitedRunGames:

http://www.godisageek.com/2017/02/stranger-sword-city-revisited/

Not surprising really seeing how in general a lot of JP dev based games have not shown up on LRG. Think there is only 2 titles? by JP devs that were done. Silver Case and One Way Heroics or whatever. Its a bit of an unfortunate "chicken & the egg" situation for LRG. As they need a larger library of more well known games to make for a better presentation, but the problem is getting said pubs to agree to the business model and go on board with getting physical titles manufactured with them.

The game any good?

It depends if you like Wizardry style Dungeon RPGs. Plus can put up with the occasional random deaths.

Though if you were to get a version of this game Id suggest getting Revisited over the original as it makes the whole overall experience much more enjoyable with the new changes and such.

Have played both the JP versions of the original and this game so can say the changes are pretty significant in a positive direction. Makes it a bit easier to get into the game if one is new to the genre.

Game does have some fantastic artwork for both the character designs and monsters, plus great music.

They picked a great price to start.

Now I'm torn between trying to finish up the last dungeon and get the platinum, or put it down and wait for the expanded release.

Also,
fuck Mumic.

Edit: I can almost bet the redesigned trophies are the #1 reason Sony won't let it be classified as DLC.

No Sony had attempted to help them with seeing if it was possible to do the game as DLC but even with the assistance it was deemed that it was not possible therefore even in Japan it had to be sold as a full standalone product. Also why it was sold at a lower price than the original game. With how much stuff was actually changed in the newer release can see why that the game itself could not have been just a simple update / DLC. In Japan they had some sort of "digital upgrade" for those who bought the original digital version of the game, but all that basically did was overwrite everything with the original game. So basically deleted the original game and installs the newer game in its place. Save data and such is from the original game is unable to be used due to all of the changes to the code with the newer version.

Seeing how Exp Inc is publishing this themselves and NISA had the previous Vita version do imagine thats why they are unable to do the same sort of offer for digital purchases in the West. Where in Japan they released both versions themselves.

I myself had to buy a physical copy, though since its a genre I collect its not that much of an issue.

Im curious though at how this will sell considering most of the fans who had been waiting forever for the game to come out in the West grabbed it already when NISA did the Vita release then there were the XBO users who bought that version.

donwload only kinda stinks. maybe there is a chance for physical in europe.

anyway, since i really love the original i gotta get this once i'm free to start another game. these months are stacked.

kudos to exp inc. for giving us this opportunity. gotta love them.

Not surprising really seeing how in general a lot of JP dev based games have not shown up on LRG. Think there is only 2 titles? by JP devs that were done. Silver Case and One Way Heroics or whatever. Its a bit of an unfortunate "chicken & the egg" situation for LRG. As they need a larger library of more well known games to make for a better presentation, but the problem is getting said pubs to agree to the business model and go on board with getting physical titles manufactured with them.

I think selling 10k copies of One Way Heroics (which is like, half of what the game sold in Japan without any limited run) is a pretty good pitch in itself.

HotHamBoy

This game is out today. The announcement slipped by me so imagine my surprisr in seeing this on the store today, launch discount price of $22.99, normally $29.99.

Demo, too!

Parakeetman

Having issues with the pc at the moment so the stranger of sword city revisited OT will be up tomorrow.

Having to reformat and reinstall everything due to whatever in gods name happened to my OS. Some sort of software conflicts I think totally fried everything. (;・ω・)

From the OT thread.

OT will go up later today wont be that complex of an OT since most folks jumping in will be those who already played the game so a lot of the info is just on what changed.

Thread up
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1348678

Top Bottom